Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is this true? Opener 1978 show
Posted by: Nellcote ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:09

Hi all,

Recently I listened to this great show of 1978 "From Lakeland to Oakland".Is it true that the Stones opened this show with the line:
AND NOW FROM ENGLAND THE ROLLING @#$%& STONES! followed by 'Let it rock' And is indeed Jagger saying this line? I think it fits well during that tour. WOW what an opener!

But was this opener just for once, or do I miss something from the show (maybe it was not the opener)?

I hope to hear from you.

Nellcote

Re: Is this true? Opener 1978 show
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:16

yeah, isn't that fine?
i reckon it can't have been a one-time deal, since i've heard it.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:42

Nope..."Let It Rock" was the regular opener on the Stones' U.S. tour. Any setlist scan from that tour confirms this.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:55

RockR, he was talking about the way Jagger introduced themselves.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:57

Oops ! Sorry...my mistake. In that regard, I saw them in Chicago in '78 and that line was DEFINITELY not used.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: October 12, 2005 14:37

The name of the person who did this introduction escapes me. But, if I'm not mistaken it's the same person who introduces the band on Get Yer Ya Yas Out. In listening to the Handsome Girls collection, he drops the F-Bomb more than once. Another variation is "And now from England, the f***ing, amazing Rolling Stones." Also, as mentioned above, the great Chuck Berry cover "Let it Rock" opened all shows on the Some Girls tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 12, 2005 15:08

Sam Cutler did the intros in 1969. Doesnt sound like the same guy in 1978....

Posted by: Nellcote ()
Date: October 12, 2005 15:29

Hi,

Reading your replies, I think it was a one time opener. If so...than it is in my opinion one hell of an opener. So simple but so in your face!

Date: October 12, 2005 15:35

Gazza, I'm pretty sure it was Sam Cutler in 1978 also.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 12, 2005 15:46

Same intro lines on Handsome/Gorgeous Girls. It sounds like Jagger is introducing them in all honesty. I could be very wrong, but its hard to mistake his voice no matter what way he pushes or pulls it.

Date: October 12, 2005 16:32

Did a Google search for Sam Cutler 1978 and was directed to a site selling boots. For the June 1978 show at Palladium in New York, it reads "...with no Sam Cutler introduction." Implied is that he did do the others. For what it's worth.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 12, 2005 16:56

All:

I've heard Ft. Worth, New Jersey, Detroit, and at least one other '78 recording. It's definitely Mick each time introducing the band. Sometimes he yells: "And now, from England, the Rolling @#$%& Stones!" At least once he says something like: "And now, the amazing, @#$%&, Rolling Stones," without screaming it. But most of the time he screams it. No doubt it's Mick, listen and you'll agree. Great idea by Mick, for that tour especially.

I wish they would tour with just the band and maybe Chuck and Bobby Keyes one more time.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: October 12, 2005 17:18

I am sure Sam Cutler got the boot after the London shows in December 1969. Didn't Chip Monck take over road manager duties at that time?

Date: October 12, 2005 18:13

Whether it's Sam Cutler or Chip Monck, it's DEFINITELY not Jagger. Why would a member of the band introduce the band? Especially the Stones.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 12, 2005 19:31

i agree, it's definitely not Mick ...
doesn't sound like him either, at least not on the version i have.

edit: okay, wrong again! anyway i knew it ain't Keith. :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-13 09:50 by with sssoul.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:14

It's Mick. You can hear variations sans the naughty word on other boots.

Date: October 12, 2005 20:44

Can someone who attended 1978 shows please settle this? I definitely don't think it's Mick. For no other reason that, even as early as 1978, the words "Rolling Stones" were such a valuable trademark that MJ wouldn't cheapen it to say "Rolling F***ing Stones".

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 12, 2005 20:53

didn't attend - but i'd swear it's Mick based on the extant recordings.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 12, 2005 21:02

just listened to the intro of the band from Detroit '78 "and now from England, The Rollin' fuchin' Stones!!!".....definitely Mick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-12 21:17 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 12, 2005 21:10

The voice doing the intro is Jagger himself, and he did the intro like this on virtually all shows. It was his way of "being punk", as he was trying to be the entire tour -the Vivienne Westwood clothing, the clowning around, and especially his in between songs lines on this tour, where he acts like he is drunk, talks with Cockney accent, and likes to say the word @#$%& ate least one time every sentence.

There's an interview with Jagger by Barbara Charone where Jagger says the band had a laugh everytime he introduced the band. By the way, on all radio broadcasts, the word @#$%& is edited out.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: October 12, 2005 21:19

I saw the show in Memphis in June 1978. From the boot -"and now from England - The Rolling Stones"

Sure sounds like Mick to me.

Date: October 12, 2005 21:20

Right Mathijs. Mick wanted the '78 tour to have a punk element (minimal people besides the band, play all the songs at breakneck speed, etc.). Having him introduce the band, and in that way, was part of the punk aspect.

Date: October 12, 2005 22:12

Ok. I stand corrected. Sounds like a few here have more info than me. I was just listening to the Fort Worth, TX show. The intro voice sounds weak and somewhat amatuerish. Did Mick do this backstage or through a different mike? Because when the lead vocals come in for Let It Rock it sounds much stronger.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: October 13, 2005 00:22

Definitely from backstage.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 13, 2005 00:26

harlito1969 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am sure Sam Cutler got the boot after the London
> shows in December 1969. Didn't Chip Monck take
> over road manager duties at that time?
>

I heard Chip was the guy who did the intros as well. Don't know where I heard it though.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 13, 2005 03:25

I think Mathjis is refering to the indoor shows. On the outdoor shows,
the regal fanfare opened. He certainly didn't say anything at
the ANaheim show or any of the stadium boots I have (at the beginning
of the concert I'm talking about). I'm not sure the between-song banter
was all phoney. Some was, yes, but at Anaheim on the 23rd he's way over the top, more so than any gig on the tour. He sounds like he's had a bit too much beer,
pot and cocaine. HE sang great, though. Witneess Shattered and LIV...or maybe it
was too hot. It was at least 100 degress that day.

OT- BTW, I remeber reading an interview with Jagger during that tour
(can't remember which mag), but he said he bought one of the jackets
he used (probably the big yellow one or the big white one) at a place called
Ian's Boutique, and that he payed "40 bucks, mate."
Does anyone remeber a placed called that in NYC, London, Paris?

Date: October 13, 2005 05:09

UPDATE:

Just checked out Chicago '78. Sure enough, they open with what tomk refers to as the 'regal fanfare.'

But folks, make no mistake about it, Mick did the instro's on MANY shows in '78, and he did it deliberately to be outrageous. This is all documented, even if certain fans in Europistan can't deal with it. My American Cousin and me was there to see it, y'all!

... Which reminds me: since when aren't they the Rolling @#$%& Stones?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Little Richárd

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: October 13, 2005 07:47

I always thought it was Mick.
Sounds exactly like him.

He did the (admittedly a voice over I think) "that voodoo that you do so well" part before they hit the stage with NFA on VL tour.
Easy enough for someone to crap on into the mic before going on stage.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: October 13, 2005 09:37

And Let it Rock was the first song performed on all twenty-five shows I know of.

They gave us Little Queenie and Route 66 on recent tours, but Let it Rock would be the best one of all to bring back into the set list. {or maybe second to Around and Around].

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 13, 2005 10:04

I saw the the Stones in 1978 in a tiny little auditorium in Myrtle Beach, S. C., at a show announced the day before. I thought they opened with "Sweet Little Sixteen"?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home