Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: What comes after the usa tour?
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 11, 2019 20:30

Am I the only one who can see them still touring in their 80s?

I remember after the ABB tour a lot of the people thought this was it - that they wouldn't tour as 70 year old men. Then came the 50s Anniversary show and it was somehow clear that they would so these concerts for their anniversary but nobody thought they would to one complete North America tour the year after. Then after Hyde Park everybody thought these were the last concerts. Then they did Asia and then when L'wren did suicide the future was uncertain again. Nobody knew how Mick would handle it. Then came Oslo and Mick was killin' it. Then Europe, Australia. North America again. South America and Cuba. Then Desert Trip and again Europe. UK tour. Then the bad news with Micks heart. But he does well now and I'm sure he will put on a blast of a show. Whatever came - the Stones figured it our and toured on. For 55 years now. The average life expectancy in England it 80 year. But now look in which shape the average UK citizen is at that age. The Stones are super slim, healthy and fit and it is a wonder how they can deliver these performances at that age. So I think we will still get a few years. But sure, someday the day will come when the rockn'roll circus has to end.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 11, 2019 20:42

StonedRambler

I remember after the ABB tour a lot of the people thought this was it - that they wouldn't tour as 70 year old men. Then came the 50s Anniversary show and it was somehow clear that they would so these concerts for their anniversary but nobody thought they would to one complete North America tour the year after. Then after Hyde Park everybody thought these were the last concerts. Then they did Asia and then when L'wren did suicide the future was uncertain again. Nobody knew how Mick would handle it. Then came Oslo and Mick was killin' it. Then Europe, Australia. North America again. South America and Cuba. Then Desert Trip and again Europe. UK tour. Then the bad news with Micks heart. But he does well now and I'm sure he will put on a blast of a show. Whatever came - the Stones figured it our and toured on. For 55 years now. The average life expectancy in England it 80 year. But now look in which shape the average UK citizen is at that age. The Stones are super slim, healthy and fit and it is a wonder how they can deliver these performances at that age. So I think we will still get a few years. But sure, someday the day will come when the rockn'roll circus has to end.

As long as they will not end up like Phil Collins.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 11, 2019 20:50

They will probably continue touring as they have been for a few more years - maybe return to Asia or South America or perhaps do a residency at an arena in NYC or London - but sooner rather than later it will all come to a complete stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-12 00:50 by TornAndFried.

Date: June 11, 2019 20:59

It will be time for the 2.0 gigs.

You buy a streaming package, Mick turns his phone camera on and goes "Hi all... Woke up feeling like visiting Charlie", so them both have a cup of tea, while people all around the world goes nuts, melting their credit cards to see that online.

A few minutes later, they follow the script and Bill is invited to Charlie's house, as well and then Ronnie knocks the door saying something like "Sally told me and I picked Keith up, let's play some tunes".

That silly intro serves to the porpouse to sell the streaming on the fly, and they could play just about... 14 songs, mainly those they want just for fun.

The spider and the fly, Off the hook, Back of my hand, Send it to me...

No airplanes needed, no screens, no lights. Whenever they feel, they play and grab some cash. How cool is that?.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 11, 2019 21:29

Stoneage
Hopefully they will stop touring and concentrate on the last album of originals. And then they really deserve a retirement.

They won´t stop touring as long as they are able to perform. Keith said he can´t see no reason for stopping. Retirement? Not the Stones, they will give rust no chance. To perform keeps them alive and well (at least it helps). And it seems to be less challenging than working on a new album.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 11, 2019 21:35

StonedRambler

Me too - I've seen them 4 times during NoFilter 2017/18, it was still a solid Show and I don't have the impression that they'll stop soon ....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 11, 2019 22:04

About a year ago, I saw the sad case of Dickie Betts.

I hope they realize when the mojo is gone and stop before embarrassing themselves.

I'm not expecting the 1972 tour....

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 11, 2019 22:14

Retirement

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 11, 2019 22:20

reg thorpe
Retirement

Congratulations

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 11, 2019 22:23

Hard to believe that they will stop. Yes they will not do more tours, but residencies in London or Amsterdam. Multiple gigs.
Saw them 7 times during the 2017/2018 tour. They were so good !!

Yeah, they are old men but @#$%& unbelievably great.

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-11 22:24 by runrudolph.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 11, 2019 22:44

Nate
reg thorpe
Retirement

Congratulations

I was actually referring to Mick and the boys.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 11, 2019 22:48

reg thorpe
Nate
reg thorpe
Retirement

Congratulations

I was actually referring to Mick and the boys.

I know

Nate

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: June 11, 2019 23:16

... a new album and retirement.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: June 11, 2019 23:20

No retirement in sight as long as they are doing 17 - seventeen - shows in 2,5 months which will probably lead to one of the most sucessfull tours this year.
They just broke their 14 shows rule for this tour, this is not retirement, it's optimism.
I am looking forward to a South America tour, but I guess a Far East tour will be first.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 11, 2019 23:53

babyblue
No more shows this hear I think.
Maybe Charlie will throw the towel in.

I think Keith will throw the towel in.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 12, 2019 01:13

keithsman
babyblue
No more shows this hear I think.
Maybe Charlie will throw the towel in.

I think Keith will throw the towel in.

I think they all will throw the towel in..........it becomes to risky.

Date: June 12, 2019 01:24

I don't get why so many think they will do residencies at one venue. There are more exausting things that a one hour flight in a private jet every three days.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 12, 2019 03:21

I also believe that is the last tour.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 12, 2019 03:36

StonedRambler
I don't get why so many think they will do residencies at one venue. There are more exausting things that a one hour flight in a private jet every three days.
Lots of obvious advantages to doing residencies that have nothing to do with flight times. I don't see that as a likely choice for them though. But who knows, financial motivation aside, they clearly still love to perform. An annual week long residency or three (London, NY, and Vegas) would work nicely.

Date: June 12, 2019 03:37

To all people who call for retirement. Just don't go to the concerts. Other people still want to see them (including me). Accept that. And maybe this is also the wrong forum for you. This is a fan forum. Why would a fan want his band to retire. The Stones are in an absolutly fantastic shape

Date: June 12, 2019 03:38

MisterDDDD
StonedRambler
Lots of obvious advantages to doing residencies that have nothing to do with flight times
What are the advantages of doing residencies?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 12, 2019 03:50

StonedRambler
To all people who call for retirement. Just don't go to the concerts. Other people still want to see them (including me). Accept that. And maybe this is also the wrong forum for you. This is a fan forum. Why would a fan want his band to retire. The Stones are in an absolutly fantastic shape

I am not calling for them to retire. But I realize that if they keep going and going, some negative event will end it and they won't be able to walk away on their own terms. However, no sure that really matters to them.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 12, 2019 04:21

No way Keith throws in the towel.

Date: June 12, 2019 04:35

beachbreak
No way Keith throws in the towel.
He was about to, before finishing Crosseyed Heart. At least he said so.

We know Keith says things, but he clearly became the weakest link.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 12, 2019 04:49

StonedRambler
MisterDDDD
StonedRambler
Lots of obvious advantages to doing residencies that have nothing to do with flight times

Seriously?
Even if they don't pack/unpack their personal belongings themselves, or the gear, or the stage, or the instruments, et al., they have to pay a crew to do it.

Contrast walking from a hotel room to a private elevator that takes you to the venue (ala Vegas) or a short drive from your own place or hotel in Manhattan, or London etc.. with the ride to an airport, waiting for take off, flight, then another drive and settling in/unpacking at yet another hotel, assuming there were no weather delays etc.
Add in the comfort of being back in your room or home minutes after a show with nothing to do but get ready for the next one where the stage and sound and lights are set.
Obviously the financials are much better when your not paying to transport the gear as well as the crew (plus lodging) that you wouldn't need a fraction of.
Not to mention the savings in promotional/marketing costs etc for the different cities. Doing residencies, provided you can sell them out like they could, would enable them to keep prices obtainable (not necessarily affordable) for the smaller venues.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: June 12, 2019 06:09

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-12 06:14 by Xam.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 12, 2019 06:20

MisterDDDD
StonedRambler
MisterDDDD
StonedRambler

Seriously?
Even if they don't pack/unpack their personal belongings themselves, or the gear, or the stage, or the instruments, et al., they have to pay a crew to do it.

Contrast walking from a hotel room to a private elevator that takes you to the venue (ala Vegas) or a short drive from your own place or hotel in Manhattan, or London etc.. with the ride to an airport, waiting for take off, flight, then another drive and settling in/unpacking at yet another hotel, assuming there were no weather delays etc.
Add in the comfort of being back in your room or home minutes after a show with nothing to do but get ready for the next one where the stage and sound and lights are set.
Obviously the financials are much better when your not paying to transport the gear as well as the crew (plus lodging) that you wouldn't need a fraction of.
Not to mention the savings in promotional/marketing costs etc for the different cities. Doing residencies, provided you can sell them out like they could, would enable them to keep prices obtainable (not necessarily affordable) for the smaller venues.

As strange as it may sound (read), I get the feeling that there are two approaches the Stones could have to such a thing:

1. If people want to pay X amount and we're able, why not?

There are reasons beyond what may be generally assumed as to why they would do such a thing.

2. Wot? We're not (enter act here). We've done it (Mick).

It's probably that simple.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: June 12, 2019 07:04

I guess one song on list is The Last Time?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 12, 2019 08:49

If they are gonna do one city residencies, prices will explode. Too much demand...but i understand that healthwise a 3 month tour will stop.
Hope i can afford to see them a few more times.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-12 08:49 by runrudolph.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 12, 2019 08:59

bv
Just for the record, this might be the last tour.

Big word is "might" !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home