Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Sting
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 11, 2005 03:35

I'm prepared to get slagged on this. Sting's best solo pieces are masterworks of short-storytelling, within memorable melodies. "Seven Days", "Ghost Story", "Fill Her Up", "Love is Stronger Than Justice", etc. I am very attached to the songs on the "Soul Cages" CD, but that's another story entirely.

What's the beef with Sting?

Re: OT: Sting
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 11, 2005 08:35

I don't begrudge anyone for liking anything, however, I find him to be annoying and pompous. I made the mistake of going to see him in Chicago a few summers ago when he announced to the audience "I'm going to take my shirt off now." He really said that.

Posted by: toko ()
Date: October 11, 2005 08:49

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm prepared to get slagged on this. Sting's best
> solo pieces are masterworks of short-storytelling,
> within memorable melodies. "Seven Days", "Ghost
> Story", "Fill Her Up", "Love is Stronger Than
> Justice", etc. I am very attached to the songs on
> the "Soul Cages" CD, but that's another story
> entirely.
>
> What's the beef with Sting?

The guy has some great songs, but I agree with the
opinion of a letter writer to Rolling Stone magazine back
in the '80s who wrote that Sting's signature had become
"jazzbo pretention and more-literate-than-thou album
titles.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 11, 2005 12:56

I asked him to autograph my school file outside a Police show when I was 16. He told me and my friend to @#$%& off, we were disappointed,points out what pricks most holier than thou types are.
If they ever release the DVD of the video "Police in the East", you can see me with my long hair leaping around in the front row of the club that very night smiling smiley

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:55

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm prepared to get slagged on this. Sting's best
> solo pieces are masterworks of short-storytelling,
> within memorable melodies. "Seven Days", "Ghost
> Story", "Fill Her Up", "Love is Stronger Than
> Justice", etc. I am very attached to the songs on
> the "Soul Cages" CD, but that's another story
> entirely.
>
> What's the beef with Sting?

He's pompous, self-absorbed, his solo music is pretty much the aural equivalent of elevator Muzak, he was largely responsible for the break-up of the terrific band that made him famous (The Police, natch), and he thinks that by practicing yoga, he's God's gift to sexual stamina (he's said in interviews he can go for hours -- this is NOT a joke). That about covers it.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:59

When The World Is Running Down at Bournemouth 1986 was incredible the band just got hotter and hotter, the version on the live CD doesn't do it justice. And I sat there watching the future Stones bass player too.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 12, 2005 16:54

You nailed in RockR! As someone who does yoga, what is with what seems like a vast majority of people who do it being so damn insolent?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 12, 2005 17:37

he's God's gift to sexual stamina (he's said
> in interviews he can go for hours -- this is NOT a
> joke).

I remember reading that interview in Q about 15 years ago when he said that. It was so obvious from the tone of the interview that his remarks were tongue in cheek, yet the media and public have hung onto that ever since as if it literally true. People take this stuff so seriously

And if he can really fĂșck for hours, whats the problem? if I could do that, I'd be quite happy at letting everyone know about it, too!

I liked his earlier solo stuff much better, myself. Especially "dream of the Blue Turtles". saw him on that tour (wilth Darryl Jones on bass) and it was a fabulous show. Cracking band too (Darryl, Omar Hakim, Branford Marsalis,etc - plus those 2 backing singers (Dolette McDonald and Janice Pendarvis) who were singing on Dirty Work around that same time

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 12, 2005 17:41

stink on a Stones site.....surreal

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 12, 2005 18:34

That he's gone from Outlandos D'Amour and Regatta de Blanc to his recent pap makes him a frontrunner for the John Tesch lifetime achievement award.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1110
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home