Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ron Wood on "It's a gas in Paris"
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 10, 2005 22:58

Yesterday I heard the whole Paris concert in 1976 in a very good soundboard version. It was Ron Woods concert, the solos didn't fall short to Mick Taylors, particularly on "Hand of Fate" and "YCAGWYW", the great "Punk version" of "Jumping Jack Flash" you can find in a lesser quality on "Love you live". The rhythm guitar parts like on "Hey Negrita" were great. It is Ron Woods song. And the interweaving guitar work with Keith Richards is unmatched. The version of "You Gotta Move" is incredible. So I'm a little sad about the development of Ronnie Woods guitar work in the last years, though I don't want to see him replaced ...

Re: Ron Wood on "It's a gas in Paris"
Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 11, 2005 00:46

I love Love You Live, ít's Ronnie's masterpiece live, so to say. He rarely has shown the fire since he played on You Can't Always Get What You Want.

Date: October 11, 2005 13:30

Muddyw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love Love You Live, ít's Ronnie's masterpiece
> live, so to say. He rarely has shown the fire
> since he played on You Can't Always Get What You
> Want.

"Love You Live" doesn't match the soundboard version of the complete 1976 concert in Paris. It contains all over a very good guitar work of Ronnie Wood, fantastic versions of "Angie", "You Gotta Move", "YCAGWYW" etc. Some songs are the basic tracks for "Love You Live", but the work on the raw material doesn't bring any advantage, sometimes the official releases don't have the quality of the basic tracks, particularly "YCAGWYW". The solo of Ron Wood, that is wonderful, was shortened and the sound quality on the official release is not as good as on the bootleg ...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 11, 2005 14:55

Ronnie was still playing ssoaring solos in 75-76. Wild Horses from the 75 tour was especially good. One of the LA shows has this cut. I think the boot is Who Went To Church? Brilliant solo by Ronnie on Wild Horses. Worth checking out.

Date: October 11, 2005 15:30

filstan Wrote:
> Ronnie was still playing ssoaring solos in 75-76.
> Wild Horses from the 75 tour was especially good.
> One of the LA shows has this cut. I think the boot
> is Who Went To Church? Brilliant solo by Ronnie on
> Wild Horses. Worth checking out.

Yes, great is the solo on this song on "Hot Summer August Night" (Knebworth 76) too ...

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: October 11, 2005 16:51

I prefer the "original" solos from Mick T., not the copies...

Date: October 11, 2005 17:49

rknuth Wrote:
> I prefer the "original" solos from Mick T., not
> the copies...

The interesting matter is, that e.g. the solo on "YCAGWYW" is not a copy, but an own contribution to the song from Ron Wood. The atmosphere of the song is a complete other one. This is one of his masterpieces through the connection of solo and rhythm elements. Of course Mick Taylor is one of the greatest guitarists at all, but Ron Wood could it be too ...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 11, 2005 18:31

Robert is correct - one of the few times that RW established his own identity on a song/solo not based on MT's original. good stuff.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 11, 2005 18:43

Yep, Robert and StonesTod are correct is saying RW's signature is on some songs that were written and initially performed when Mt was in the band. This was especially true in the mid to late 70's. Ronnie gets way to much shit laid on him these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home