Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: tracklisting Rarities 1971-2001
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 10, 2005 23:50

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> okay...i'll try harder

we will be taking classes starting in a few weeks. Sign up now!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 11, 2005 00:00

some folks think ESL (Empty Shallow Lessons) classes are meant for foreign students learning English -

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 11, 2005 00:00

Gazza Wrote:
> Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > okay...i'll try harder
>
>
> we will be taking classes starting in a few weeks.
> Sign up now!

i'm there!!! i'll take "Shallow for beginners" & empty2A for the experienced emptiers!!

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 11, 2005 01:09

@#$%& VIRGIN... they are really the worst thing for the Stones. What a dissapointing so called rarities compilation!

Really sad, this is an insult to the real fans.

Posted by: rock'nroller ()
Date: October 11, 2005 02:05

Not even Brown Sugar backed up w/ Eric Clapton? What a poor collection. I've got most of these songs and never even think about playing them! I hope the band gets a game plan together on how to not ruin your reputation. Couple this release with an upcoming press release on their NEW LIVE '05 CD! Followed by their live DVD.

Let's hope the Virgin contract ends soon, and we can look forward to real rarities being released. Wish list? Double '72 box, CSB w/ L&G. Keep dreaming...

Posted by: G. the Cock ()
Date: October 11, 2005 02:14

They won't compile a real 'rarities' collection as long as they are a performing band. No hope to get something like the Dylan's stuff - believe me, after one of the remaining three original band members dies, the gates from the archives (which are not too well filled with really interesting stuff we don't know yet - there are tracks like "English Summer" from 66 and Keith's "Scarlet" from 74 that could be a surprise) will get open, but not before!!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction

stoned greetings
G. The Cock

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 11, 2005 02:27

There's only one song from the 90s on it that would be of a little of an interest for me (Anyway You Look At it), and too many live recordings. This is not the one for me.
It will probably sink faster than Live Licks. I thought hey just wouldn't make ships like that anymore. Oh, and beware of copy-protection, European listeners.

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 11, 2005 02:30

I've had all these for years though I AM wondering which "Mannish Boy" and "Thru & Thru"? Anybody know the source of those?

Posted by: rock'nroller ()
Date: October 11, 2005 03:04

Don't get creative here. It's probably Manish Boy from El Mocambo Club (Love You Live) and Keith's Thru & Thru live version, edited down to 4:25.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-11 03:08 by rock'nroller.

Date: October 11, 2005 03:15

It apepars that Thru & Thru is the only previously unreleased song. I'll stick my neck out and guess that its from MSG 18.1.03 as it was on the HBO special from that show and the Four Flicks DVD - but omitted from the Live Licks album.

Thru & Thru wasnt played live until it was debuted in New York on 26.9.02. So right away the title of the CD makes no sense as it states it is rarities from 1971 - 2001 (I dont recall any releases in 2001, do you?)

I would imagine that Mannish Boy is the Love you Live version. If so, that appears to be three songs out of 16 that are already on currently available CDs (Wild Horses and Everythings Turning to Gold being the others). How that is defined as a 'rarity' is beyond me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-11 03:17 by Gazza.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 11, 2005 03:15

Well, I think it's a decent collection and it makes me pretty happy.
The Fancy Man blues and the Cook Cook Blues are not on it, but they have been released on CD ( on "Another side of steel wheels" ) and the choice of Wish I'd never met you is fantastic. I lost the terrifying single. Indeed the one killer track "Think I'm going mad" is missing. Hey, you can't have it all!

Date: October 11, 2005 03:28

Fancyman Blues is the opening track, Whale!

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 11, 2005 03:41

Exactly who are the Stones listening to, that they would think that this compilation of easily gotten tracks are "Rarities"?

They keep making these poor decisions regarding product and marketing. Who is leading them to this hole in the road?

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 11, 2005 08:02

This has got to be some sick joke.... Why dont they just do a box set of session outtakes- Some Girls and Emotional Rescue themsleves have enough good material to blow this away. Spare Parts, We had it all, un-cut miss you, fiji jim, think i'm going mad, angel steps out of heaven, I dont care, etc...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 11, 2005 08:30

I think the tracklist is lame! This isn't a "Rarities" CD. @#$%& live versions of songs everyone has heard a million times. What a let down.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 11, 2005 12:16

That CD looks cool. I'll get it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 11, 2005 13:45

I assume Mannish Boy is the live version from LYL because if it is a studio recording it will be worth buying for this alone.

Do we really need another live version of TD, even if the first bit is recorded back stage (assuming that it is the 1995 B side)?

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: October 11, 2005 16:19

T&A Wrote:
> well - it is a pretty crappy throw-together - but
> it will be the first ever CD release of Lonely
> Nights - so I will get it for that alone

I had the exact same reaction. What an expensive single!

Date: October 11, 2005 16:51

also the first CD release of "let it rock"

Date: October 11, 2005 19:19

I always believed that the Dance instrumental was officially released on a vinyl single.I'm glad to see some of these actual rarities + Thru & Thru live (MSG 1/18/'03 or Wiltern Theater?)but,the more I think about it,it seems like too much is not included.I wonder if I Just Want To Make Love To You is the Flashpoint b-side version or the superior Japanese No Security bonus track version.My favorite is the '99 version from Oakland but,that doesn't seem too realistic.I can't speak on other Oakland '99 boots but,I highly recommend to any Stones fan to give Stones Age Oakland Opening Night '99 a listen - especially for I Just Want To Make Love To You.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: October 11, 2005 22:05

If that is the songs it is too bad. + it will never sell to many fans and it will signal to the Stones that vault material does not sell. The songs picked are a joke and thats the only reason it wont sell.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 11, 2005 22:24

+++++I assume Mannish Boy is the live version from LYL because if it is a studio recording it will be worth buying for this alone.+++++

Well, maybe so...maybe its the Muddy Waters 1981 Checkerboard appearance.

===The songs picked are a joke and thats the only reason it wont sell.===

Amen. You said it Johang....They will find out the same lesson they should have learned with Live Licks.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: October 11, 2005 23:05

Any chance that "Mannish Boy" is from one of the Licks arena shows? Doesn't that somehow make more sense side by side with "Thru And Thru?"

Also: Is the "Harlem Shuffle NY Mix" the same as the version released on "Collectibles?"

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: October 11, 2005 23:19

why another live version of 'Live with me? That song is on No Security...Putting out Rip This Joint from the Stripped TV show would be less repetitive.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: October 11, 2005 23:54

Where is Claudine????

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 12, 2005 00:08

Claudine is back in jail again.

Date: October 12, 2005 00:10

midrambler Wrote:
> Where is Claudine????

if it was litigious in 1980, then I would imagine it's still litigious in 2005

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 12, 2005 00:14

A rarity is rare, but released.
Claudine was never officially released, if I'm not mistaken.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:16

Wow, the number of the negative posts implies that the Stones fans are very spoiled nowadays, the expectations for new Stones release are quite high.

To me the concept of the album makes perfectly sense; the question is about the official songs that are quite difficult to find: alternative versions in singles, b-sides etc. I remember the time - back in the early 80's - when I was more than happy to find two vinyl albums called "No Stone Unturned" and "For Collectors Only". Those albums were full of Decca-era, officially released songs that were almost impossible to find those days; songs like "Who's Driving Your PLane?", "Sad Day", "Stoned", "I Want To Be Loved", Italian version of "As Tears Go By", "Surprise Surprise", "Memo From Turner", ... I think the only not-officially released was the single "Poison Ivy"/"Fortune Teller"... all that rare stuff in two vinyls.

So, I think this album continues that kind of tradition. The only thing to complain about is the content and the selection of the songs. No way this album is "definitive" at all (well, it doesn't even claim to be). Where are the gems like "I think I'm Going Mad", "Everything's Turning To Gold", "The Storm"...? Perhaps there is another compilation in the horizon? Right, Virgin?

(If there is somebody milking out the past I think it is Virgin at the moment, doing the same thing as Decca did in the 70's. They have the rights to the material of that period from 1971 on, and now when contract with the band is over, I think we might have to expect to have this sort of albums in the future.)

And that odd Keef song seems to be an anomaly in the record - it looks like there is no way to end the Stones album without a boring Richards ballad... Perhaps they (Keef) have a contract of it.

But, I am more than happy finally to get a good, real, official version of "Let It Rock", I never have had a copy of the original single...

- Doxa

P.S. I think "Mannish Boy" is the version from Sucking In The Seventies album; it's edited version of the one in Love You Live. But then, why there isn't that great live version of "When The Whip Comes Down" from the same album?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-12 13:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: October 12, 2005 13:38

I will for sure buy the album because I think it will be great.

How come you are bashing already the album without knowing wich versions are the chosen one: Mannihs Boy, miss You, etc...

For me it is the chance to have for the first time some great songs: LIT, fancyman Blues...

I hope that Virgin shall release more albuns like this one in the future...!!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home