Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
RainFallDown sucks
Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: October 10, 2005 11:46

As a single! I cannot believe the band choose this song as a single. It must be those out of touch morons at virgin!

Reasons not to release rain fall down as a single:

1) It has the most basic 2 note riff with an awful delay effect on it. Bring on the 80's! It is quite simply the most crap riff I have ever heard. Any note played with a delay pedal sounds like that. My two year old could play that!

2) Jaggers vocals are awful! "And the phone kept ringing and we made sweet love" Puuuuke! "She cooked me up sum eggs, Then made me some tea, Kissed me on the cheek, Then turned on the t.v" Double puuuke! These crap lyrics are only beaten by SOL's "The awful truth, it's really sad, I must admit I was awful bad"

3) This is the second worst song on ABB after SOL. No conincidence that the non stoners at Vigin pick the two least stones sounding songs as singles. The have consistly picked odd songs as singles in the hope of atracting new fans. Wake up Virgin! Young people today who like rocknroll are the same type of people who liked the Stones not the Beatles or Dusty Springfield in the 60's. These people still exist. There is always a market for good rock songs, and there are good ones on ABB.

4) This is the second worst Stones song ever after SOL

5) This is another Jagger song, not a stones song.

6) The song doesn't go to the chorus (the only slightly nice part to the song) for nearly 1 and a half minutes. No one will listen to this on the radio for that long before turning the dial.

7) Jagger singing aboout sex is just NOT cool. Simularly with Keith's "Bare your Breasts". These are old men. It is honestly gross to 90 percent of the general public. They only get away with it in Rough Justice because it is a amazing song. Fast, and rockin with the lyrics secondary. Slow songs about sex just suck. period!

8)SOL was the wrong choice as a single, why make the same mistake again. It is the same market they are aiming at. Rough Justice should have been the first single and pushed on it's own. Here are radio stations play SOL because it is the single. They have played RJ a couple of times(while the boss is not listening) but apparenty it may be released as a single later. They are under the impression they can't play it yet. That is sad because it already HAS been released. Confusion, Stupidity. Poor Marketing Virgin!

Virgin fired Green Day for poor sales. Look at them now! Go @#$%& Virgin!

Re: RainFallDown sucks
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 10, 2005 11:56

Actually I think the song is really good, don't want to go into detail...
I would have prefered She Saw Me Coming as a new single though.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 10, 2005 12:05

I'd have picked ONNYA backed with BOMH and thrown in the two outtakes. Single of the millenium it would have been.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 10, 2005 12:07

Yeah RJ and ONNYA. Driving too Fast is awsome too. LWTHCDI as a Bside

Posted by: DCChris ()
Date: October 10, 2005 12:29

...RAIN FALL DOWN...I love it...VERY GROOVY!!!!! one of the best!!

Posted by: smith ()
Date: October 10, 2005 12:32

the same old stories on and on...

at least I think they know exactly what they're doing - Streets Of Love was Number 1 in Austria (and other places too) - before that all the great "experts" complained how bad it is and that nobody would care for it at all.

personally I don't care for the title of the 2nd or the 3rd single - it's more important for me if there's a new B-side on it or not. that was the only bad thing for me with SOL - who needed Rough Justice as 2nd track?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-10 12:33 by smith.

Date: October 10, 2005 12:33

Very groovy in a gay kind of way.

Posted by: rev20 ()
Date: October 10, 2005 12:48

I think SOL and RJ as a double-sided single was by far
the best strategy available to them. And it did well
in some countries. Too bad we will never know what
could have happened if they had made two state-of-the-art
videos to go along with the single, and released those
videos on time. Will be interesting to eventually get
the inside story on wtf happened with the videos,
why so little investment in them and why so late.

At this point I don't think any one of the tracks can
have much impact as a single over any other of the
tracks. Just don't think it matters much. But RFD is
a very nice funk track in the tradition of Fingerprint
File and I wouldn't mind one bit hearing it on the radio.

Date: October 10, 2005 13:19

the same old stories on and on...
------------------------------

And i am tired of posts saying that charts and videos and marketing don't matter. OF COURSE THEY DO!

I got into the stones from watching videos of Like a Rolling Stone and Love Is Strong. Then I went and bought Stripped and VL. I saw the video for YGMR and it blew me away. I had never seen a band like this before. Man some of you are so old a stuck and stuck in your ways just like the C$%Ts at Virgin.

VL was the last time they actually pushed the rock songs from th album, with videos singles e.t.c. Releasing SOL and RFD as singles is akin to having released Suck on the Jugular and Sweethearts Together as singles for VL. I would not be a fan typing here if that was the case. Wake up! Virgin have F'd UP.

Of course it was pointless releasing RJ with SOl. It should have been just on it's own! It should have had a Video akin to YGMR as SOON as they had footage from the current tour! Videos are not only important to bring in fans, but they influence what radio station executives choose to play on their stations.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: October 10, 2005 16:35

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is a cool and funky tune. I love Mick's delivery and it's very catchy. Definitely a good single, although I really don't think singles are the Stones market in 2005.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: October 10, 2005 17:11

It's not a Stones song, it's a Jagger song? Isn't Jagger in the Stones? Isn't Brown Sugar a Jagger song?

Virgin is doing quite well. If it hadn't been for Bush, Green Day would have never sold well.

Josh

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: October 10, 2005 17:14

Who cares for singles/videoclips, etc anyway...

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: October 10, 2005 17:18

Perfect choice for a single

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: October 10, 2005 17:26

uz2bstoned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> 7) Jagger singing aboout sex is just NOT cool.
> Simularly with Keith's "Bare your Breasts". These
> are old men. It is honestly gross to 90 percent
> of the general public. They only get away with it
> in Rough Justice because it is a amazing song.
> Fast, and rockin with the lyrics secondary. Slow
> songs about sex just suck. period!
>

60 year old men's interest in sex gross to the general
public? No way! This is one of the worst statements of
"ageism" I have ever seen!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 10, 2005 17:52

I don't like this one.

Re: Rain Fall Down
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 10, 2005 18:01

>> This is one of the worst statements of "ageism" I have ever seen! <<

i'll say! especially since they're not "old men" - they're the Rolling Stones.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 10, 2005 18:15

walkingthedog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> uz2bstoned Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > 7) Jagger singing aboout sex is just NOT
> cool.
> > Simularly with Keith's "Bare your Breasts".
> These
> > are old men. It is honestly gross to 90
> percent
> > of the general public. They only get away
> with it
> > in Rough Justice because it is a amazing
> song.
> > Fast, and rockin with the lyrics secondary.
> Slow
> > songs about sex just suck. period!
> >
>
> 60 year old men's interest in sex gross to the
> general
> public? No way! This is one of the worst
> statements of
> "ageism" I have ever seen!
>
>

I agree, there is nothing wrong with having sexual desire until the day you die. I'm 35 but sure as hell am not planning on giving up sex when I'm 60. Old people should be allowed to express desire. Now fat people, they definitely shouldn't be able to, no matter what their age. Just kidding; that's just an example of the kind of crap this line of thought can lead to.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: October 10, 2005 18:18

I'm sure Jagger and Keef could still get laid by more beautiful women of all ages than 99% of the male population!

Posted by: bat _outta_hell ()
Date: October 10, 2005 18:36

"These are old men. It is honestly gross to 90 percent of the general public"

Sweetie__age is a state of mind.

Now wouldn't it be fascinating to see my 55 year old picture, up against your (I will assume post pubescent) photo?

as to your 90 percent..got the poll data on that?

and finally, I find those that squeak loudest about looks/age etc.

are usually the ones with the defect, inside and out.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: October 10, 2005 19:49

I agree with uz2bstoned and loved his post so much! Cause I hated RFD the minute I heard it, and it didn't get any better with time...
The Stones at 90 should have sex and even express it. The "gross" bit is when they insist on it so much on these tracks like they never did in the past... Like we are still RnR, see? We get laid!
At this age this stuff does change.

Posted by: BostonStrangler ()
Date: October 10, 2005 19:54

beating an old drum..ronnie has been the best songwriter in the group since 86..they are missing the boat not letting him throw some songs in the mix...mick 'n' keith lyrics are getting stale..

Date: October 10, 2005 23:15

"These are old men. It is honestly gross to 90 percent of the general public"

Sweetie__age is a state of mind.

Now wouldn't it be fascinating to see my 55 year old picture, up against your (I will assume post pubescent) photo?

as to your 90 percent..got the poll data on that?

and finally, I find those that squeak loudest about looks/age etc.

are usually the ones with the defect, inside and out

------------------------------------

Loook here sweetie. This song sucks whether written by a 60 year old or a 25 year old. The lyrics are bland and dull and make me puke whoever wrote it. In fact it is probably worse than SOL. At least that has a bit of emotion in the lyrics. I like the rest of ABB though.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 10, 2005 23:19

RFD is among the handful of truly good songs on the album, imo....

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: October 10, 2005 23:37

Im sorry but this a great song and it would have been great to hear it in Charlottesville or Durham, where it did rain. I mean the boys even rehearsed it the day of the D.C. show, go figure?

Posted by: bat _outta_hell ()
Date: October 11, 2005 00:34

Uz2__now that we are friends..LOL

you kinda circumvented my original post. was not about the song.
altho I personally like it.

and ya never know...I could be your mother!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

have a good one...smiling smiley

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: October 11, 2005 01:03

What I dont understand is the following:

If you read polls and forums like this one, almost everybody likes Laugh I Nearly Died and Driving Too Fast.

These 2 songs are among the best from the new album.

One of these would have made a great new single or even better another double A-side.

In my opinion Rain fall Down is an album filler, not more than that. The overall opinion about this song is that it's an ok song. These kind of songs are not good enough to release as a single. Unless you don't want a hit single!

Date: October 11, 2005 01:06

your logic is flawed, imo. great songs don't necessarily make great singles ('specially in this market). RFD seems to have much more hit potential than LIND or DTF...

Date: October 11, 2005 01:09

Bat Outta of Hell.........No worries. We will have to see how it does as a single. I know you weren't talking about the song, but that is what this thread is about and i think there are other reasons(other than dull, boring lyrics) it is not a good song.

She cooked me sum eggs.....made me sum tea......yeah lets rock!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-11 01:20 by uz2bstoned.

Date: October 11, 2005 01:17

What I dont understand is the following:

If you read polls and forums like this one, almost everybody likes Laugh I Nearly Died and Driving Too Fast.

These 2 songs are among the best from the new album.

One of these would have made a great new single or even better another double A-side.

In my opinion Rain fall Down is an album filler, not more than that. The overall opinion about this song is that it's an ok song. These kind of songs are not good enough to release as a single. Unless you don't want a hit single!
-------------------------

Right on. If you don't want a hit song don't release the best songs. Only Virgin could be this stupid.

And T&A. Why is it that a hit song HAS to be different? I am well aware this is how the marketing guys see it. But really how in touch are they? Shall we have a bit of bluegrass and hip hop as the next experiment by the band?

Date: October 11, 2005 01:30

i'm merely saying that "hits" and "good songs" are not necessarily one and the same. I wouldn't have been surprised to see SOL succeed as a single, but that wouldn't have made anything more than the piece of shite it is.

RFD has more in the way of "hooks" than almost anything else on the album. Hooks are required for sales in singles....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2387
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home