Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Fire Don Was NOW ! The Voodoo Disaster part1
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 25, 2019 16:18

matxil
marianna
I didn't even check out "Blue and Lonesome." I'll have to do that. I thought it was a predictable idea with a predictable song list, but it could be better or worse (at least in terms of Don Was, according to this thread).

It's alright, but don't expect magic. Their first album is much more interesting: playing the blues and taking it somewhere else. B&L is just profesionally copying music that doesn't need no copying. The best thing to be said about it is that reminds one again of the existence of Little Walter (and hence, I bought a double album of all his songs, absolutely perfect). Mick Jagger is great on the harmonica, that's true.

I actually found it kinda boring. Played it a few time, now it gathers dust

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 25, 2019 16:20

keefriff99
[..The rest of the band plays well, but as someone else said...they sound like any competent bar band playing the blues. It's REALLY hard for me to get past the atrocious mastering...I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but good god is it BRUTAL.

As far as those Abbey Road B2B and ABB remasters...are they only available on vinyl? I'd love to hear them.

Do you really think that ?

They play the Blues with an authenticity that escapes most latter day proponents .

Re the mastering...totally agree with you.

[And I worked for many years in the HiFi trade...so I should I suppose be an "audiophile" . ]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 25, 2019 16:26

Spud
keefriff99
[..The rest of the band plays well, but as someone else said...they sound like any competent bar band playing the blues. It's REALLY hard for me to get past the atrocious mastering...I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but good god is it BRUTAL.

As far as those Abbey Road B2B and ABB remasters...are they only available on vinyl? I'd love to hear them.

Do you really think that ?

They play the Blues with an authenticity that escapes most latter day proponents .

Re the mastering...totally agree with you.

[And I worked for many years in the HiFi trade...so I should I suppose be an "audiophile" . ]
Maybe that's a harsh assessment...I'm certainly not saying the playing is bad, but it feels stock just because they can do this in their sleep at this point.

I don't hear any of that deep, wrenching blues that gives you goosebumps. Maybe that's not the point at this stage.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2019 19:28

matxil
GasLightStreet
marianna
It's predictable in the sense it's blues.

What if they'd taken any other form of music and made it a blues album?

This is obviously the week for ridiculous posts.

It's predictable because it's blues... from a band that are perhaps the biggest fans of blues on the planet in the history of music.

True, but they used to do *something* with the blues. Their first album wasn't just profesionally copying the originals. Neither was Stop Breaking Down or Love In Vain. You Gotta Move and Prodigal Son are closer to the originals, but they don't fill an entire album and are odd enough to make them special. But what's the point of all those 12 bar blues songs like Ride Em On Down on B&L? I agree with marianna: predicable, and pretty much the stuff you can hear live in any blues bar on a Friday night anywhere in the world. It's like listening to Eric Clapton, something which I avoid as much as I can. It's killing the blues.

GasLightStreet
marianna
It's a cover version album that lacks strong Stones instumental style (compared to their early-days blues covers), though it's one of Mick's better recent singing performances.

How odd. A lot of what they did in back then was a bit... agitated. No nuance. And quite dorky. BLUE AND LONESOME has all the makings of a band playing the songs appropriately.

Which is exactly the problem. If I want to hear Little Walter the way he should sound, I listen to Little Walter. Give me agitated, dorky, anything apart from just a copy of the original.

GasLightStreet
marianna
I will probably get the CD. It might be something that needs to be heard more than once to enjoy it. It also might be better listened to over speakers instead of headphones.

By all means, get the album and listen to it, loud, soft, however, but don't access the Stones' latest release in the regard as to how people strictly get their news by reading headlines and knowing absolutely nothing about what they opioninate on. It's not like you're buying a new car, it's just music.

I have listened to the album 5 or 6 times since it came out. It's fine. There are 2 original songs on it, and 2 other ones which are fun. The rest is just a Friday night in Maloe Melo or Bourbon Street in Amsterdam, and to be honest I prefer those when Terry Mann is on stage with his odd sense of humour.

There are no Jagger-Richards songs on B&L, if that's what you mean by originals.

I get that bit about Clapton. I suppose a big reason why B&L doesn't bother me with it being a blues album is, for one, it's The Rolling Stones, regardless of Bill Wyman, and 2, unlike Clapton, they don't play blues blues blues blues that is for the most part a snooze. It's one album, it's pretty damn good, brickwalling aside, and, for me, way unpredictable regarding the song choices.

I guess I can get the aspect of why it's not a big deal when the songs sound like carbon copies of the originals. It's still The Stones.

Date: April 25, 2019 23:30

B&L it's not a carbon copy of any of the original numbers, at least to my ears.

The only low point of it is knowing that Chuck Leavell auto-included himself when he was not meant to be there.

If anyone should get fired, Leavell's in first place.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: April 26, 2019 00:45

EdubertoPalitroke

The only low point of it is knowing that Chuck Leavell auto-included himself when he was not meant to be there.

You got my vote

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 26, 2019 01:35

marianna
It's predictable in the sense it's blues. It's a cover version album that lacks strong Stones instumental style (compared to their early-days blues covers), though it's one of Mick's better recent singing performances. I will probably get the CD. It might be something that needs to be heard more than once to enjoy it. It also might be better listened to over speakers instead of headphones.

Agreed. They listened to the songs for a reminder, then largely copied them. Didn't really add anything -- nothing with arrangements or instrumentation. They were like caretakers in a blues museum.

Date: April 26, 2019 02:26

The Stones got to make a blues album and Stones fans... complain.

What's up with you?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 26, 2019 02:32

EdubertoPalitroke

Leavell being included removes the live aspect of the LP. Nothing on B&L needs piano.

He's nothing but a complainer, especially when Matt 'Yes Man' Clifford is around.

Date: April 26, 2019 04:01

GasLightStreet
Leavell being included removes the live aspect of the LP. Nothing on B&L needs piano.

He's nothing but a complainer, especially when Matt 'Yes Man' Clifford is around.
I feel ok on the fact that I have to pay very close attention to hear any keyboards on B&L, except for the one track with that piano solo.
But when I read Leavell's blog on how he made the Stones overdub his plinky-plonky I wanted to smash my screen.

I really don`t like the guy.

Clifford should be fired too, but at least he doesn't have that ultra- high profile.

I think Chuck Leavell's face should be displayed on the Bristol Chart.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: April 26, 2019 04:12

EdubertoPalitroke
GasLightStreet

I feel ok on the fact that I have to pay very close attention to hear any keyboards on B&L, except for the one track with that piano solo.
But when I read Leavell's blog on how he made the Stones overdub his plinky-plonky I wanted to smash my screen.

I really don`t like the guy.

Clifford should be fired too, but at least he doesn't have that ultra- high profile.

I think Chuck Leavell's face should be displayed on the Bristol Chart.

He didn’t make The Stones do anything Get your facts straight It was their idea to keep a part open where he could add a solo according to Keith. If it wasn’t mentioned you wouldn’t know if it was live with the band or overdubbed Ignorant comment by you. You’re just another hater

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 26, 2019 09:03

Maybe when the boys are done touring for a spell, and the 2nd line is doing all those Fake Stones gigs,
and they're hungry for money and recongition,
we could perhaps get a cage match (for fair pay; i'd show) between Don and Chuck. That would be so excellent!!!!
think about it for a minute, ssh I'll wait here sshhh
we could not even POSSIBLY LOSE in that scenario.
no one has to get hurt; i mean a good ref. I'd check Plinkies gloves though.
just to be sure.
And if sadly one of them did get a little bump or bruise; it would likely add
to their inspiration-base for song creation. plus the money and fame
for being who they Really are finally:
whoa.
Just kidding,
But a ripping cage match between them?
it's a total Win Win for us.
NO matter which one gets beat, we win.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-26 09:08 by hopkins.

Date: April 26, 2019 09:45

Re B&L

The point for me is that when the Stones play the Blues , they play the Blues.

They don't just make it into some kind of vehicle for guitar heroics ...which is all that some latter day so called "Blues artists" do .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-26 10:44 by Spud.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 26, 2019 10:31

GasLightStreet
matxil
GasLightStreet
marianna
It's predictable in the sense it's blues.

What if they'd taken any other form of music and made it a blues album?

This is obviously the week for ridiculous posts.

It's predictable because it's blues... from a band that are perhaps the biggest fans of blues on the planet in the history of music.

True, but they used to do *something* with the blues. Their first album wasn't just profesionally copying the originals. Neither was Stop Breaking Down or Love In Vain. You Gotta Move and Prodigal Son are closer to the originals, but they don't fill an entire album and are odd enough to make them special. But what's the point of all those 12 bar blues songs like Ride Em On Down on B&L? I agree with marianna: predicable, and pretty much the stuff you can hear live in any blues bar on a Friday night anywhere in the world. It's like listening to Eric Clapton, something which I avoid as much as I can. It's killing the blues.

GasLightStreet
marianna
It's a cover version album that lacks strong Stones instumental style (compared to their early-days blues covers), though it's one of Mick's better recent singing performances.

How odd. A lot of what they did in back then was a bit... agitated. No nuance. And quite dorky. BLUE AND LONESOME has all the makings of a band playing the songs appropriately.

Which is exactly the problem. If I want to hear Little Walter the way he should sound, I listen to Little Walter. Give me agitated, dorky, anything apart from just a copy of the original.

GasLightStreet
marianna
I will probably get the CD. It might be something that needs to be heard more than once to enjoy it. It also might be better listened to over speakers instead of headphones.

By all means, get the album and listen to it, loud, soft, however, but don't access the Stones' latest release in the regard as to how people strictly get their news by reading headlines and knowing absolutely nothing about what they opioninate on. It's not like you're buying a new car, it's just music.

I have listened to the album 5 or 6 times since it came out. It's fine. There are 2 original songs on it, and 2 other ones which are fun. The rest is just a Friday night in Maloe Melo or Bourbon Street in Amsterdam, and to be honest I prefer those when Terry Mann is on stage with his odd sense of humour.

There are no Jagger-Richards songs on B&L, if that's what you mean by originals.

I get that bit about Clapton. I suppose a big reason why B&L doesn't bother me with it being a blues album is, for one, it's The Rolling Stones, regardless of Bill Wyman, and 2, unlike Clapton, they don't play blues blues blues blues that is for the most part a snooze. It's one album, it's pretty damn good, brickwalling aside, and, for me, way unpredictable regarding the song choices.

I guess I can get the aspect of why it's not a big deal when the songs sound like carbon copies of the originals. It's still The Stones.

Come on. With "originals" I meant "original songs" (Hoodoo and Little Rain) in the sense that they are a bit outside the standard blues-bar blues. That makes them interesting. The Little Walter covers are good too but I prefer listening to Little Walter. Quite frankly he does it better. Inevitably, when you cover something too close to the original (in this case I mean, original as in the first version of the song), you will not sound better. The Stones used to turn the blues in something else, which was much more fun. In the beginning of their carreer, they sounded more clumsy or dorky or English, maybe, but it also sounded fresh and exciting and fun.

Date: April 26, 2019 11:22

EdubertoPalitroke
The Stones got to make a blues album and Stones fans... complain.

What's up with you?

thumbs up

Date: April 27, 2019 16:33

I am 100% with the original topic of the thread.
But I do not agree with the dislike for B&L. I love hearing the Stones play the Blues any time.
We are pretty hard on them. smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home