Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: why dont the Rolling Stones play much music from there past?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2019 11:58

Yeah keefsman …. I paid for Mick's cake
back in '72 and didn't even get me hands on a piece ……………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 24, 2019 12:36

Yeah keefsman …. I paid for Mick's cake
back in '72 and didn't even get me hands on a piece ……………..

For some reason, I keep returning to this pic. Is there a source- by any chance? - she seems familiar. Also, it has a 72 feel to it.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 24, 2019 20:23

At this point in their career, they should NOT worry if the casual fans might go for a beer if they play 2000 Light Years from Home, or Dandelion, Stray Cat Blues, No Expectations, Walkin the Dog, Spider & the Fly, etc....I'd think they might want to, JUST ONCE THINK, ABOUT US HARD CORE FANS who have kept them afloat through all of those years...like 1982-88 when they just about disappeared....by WE remained faithful....and perhaps reward us with more than one gem per show! I know I will be disappointed in June when they stick to 90% or more WARHORSES....those casual fans will go get a beer whether they're playing MISS AMANDA JONES or Miss You!

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 24, 2019 20:45

If you want to hear old Stones songs, go to UK and go to gigs: The Counterfeit Stones.First time I saw them was in Belgium. The Counterfeit Stones. I went several times to UK to see them. For me: They are ++very well to hear them.
[www.thecounterfeitstones.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 25, 2019 10:15

claremont29
I would love to hear the Stones play some of their "roots" songs like Tell Me, You Better Move On, Route 66,It's All Over Now, etc. They could maybe play 5 of those songs out of their 19-21 song set list. This may be more suitable in an arena than a stadium environment.

These are the songs they could and would maybe be playing in smaller venues if their popularity had waned over the years and they weren't still one of biggest acts on the planet.

I've often thought to myself how much better it might be for "hard core" fans if the Stones' popularity had waned to the point where they were playing just to real fans, in theatres and clubs.

But I don't think it could ever have happened that way.... because that same continued success that they remain victims of is the also the thing that's kept them together .

Without that continued popularity, they'd have gone their their separate ways years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 12:16 by Spud.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 25, 2019 17:05

Spud
claremont29
I would love to hear the Stones play some of their "roots" songs like Tell Me, You Better Move On, Route 66,It's All Over Now, etc. They could maybe play 5 of those songs out of their 19-21 song set list. This may be more suitable in an arena than a stadium environment.

These are the songs they could and would maybe be playing in smaller venues if their popularity had waned over the years and they weren't still one of biggest acts on the planet.

I've often thought to myself how much better it might be for "hard core" fans if the Stones' popularity had waned to the point where they were playing just to real fans, in theatres and clubs.

But I don't think it could ever have happened that way.... because that same continued success that they remain victims of is the also the thing that's kept them together .

Without that continued popularity, they'd have gone their their separate ways years ago

I'm sure they're more than happy to be that kind of victim thumbs up.

But seriously, you make a very good point. As I said on another thread, not long ago Mick said he was very pleased yet completely baffled by the band's continuing huge popularity. They are STILL attracting new teenage fans in their thousands to this day. The downside for we die hards is that we get 2 less frequently played songs per gig - a band 'special choice' slot and the fan vote (err hmmm) slot. The other 17 slots seldom change from night to night apart from maybe a little tinkering with the running order of the warhorses.

We'll get 16 or 17 warhorses out of 19 for sure and even Keith seldom varies his 2 much.
But they play these songs for a reason. The vast majority of every audience is either one in a lifetime fans or once a tour fans. Multiple giggers like most of us on here make up a small fraction of any crowd and we have to accept that setlists are tailored accordingly.
That all said, they have a good fistful of well known songs, particularly from their early to mid 60s 'Brian' period which are seldom played and I'd like to hear. Little Red Rooster, All Over Now and the Last Time could all do with an outing and rarely get one.

I'll still be there thumbs up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 17:08 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 25, 2019 17:10

Songs 36-42 years old aren't deep enough in the past? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: March 25, 2019 17:22

They opened the O2 London show a few years ago with I Wanna Be Your Man and it was a blast. Totally unexpected.thumbs up

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 25, 2019 18:02

I don't see many of the songs mentioned here as "deep cuts" as actual deep cuts. Most people I know, young and old, know Mother's Little Helper, 19th Nervous Breakdown, etc.. they're used in movie soundtracks, get some radio play, or older uncles (me) play them at home. I wouldn't be surprised to hear them live, I'd be pretty psyched though..

Now if they suddenly opened with 2120 South Michigan Avenue, or, Sing This all Together (See what Happens) my eyebrows would raise a little

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-25 18:02 by snoopy2.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 25, 2019 18:28

ROLLINGSTONE
They opened the O2 London show a few years ago with I Wanna Be Your Man and it was a blast. Totally unexpected.thumbs up

They gave up on it. Which is too bad. It turned into the usual show instead of them actively celebrating 50 years by playing their first hit or whatever it was.

Such a joke.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 25, 2019 21:09

They don’t anything hardly with Brian Jones when he was in the band. Besides satisfaction, ruby tuesday, LSTNT, and get off my cloud

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: March 25, 2019 22:49

wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out shes a rainbow once more because of its use in the commercial

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: March 25, 2019 23:52

I concur with all the comments on here...wouldnt it be great if they proved us wrong on what is surely to be the last tour of the states. Like most say...the "back up warhorse" list is still recognizable to the casual fan....anyone who says different is not being honest with themselves. I absolutely agree that when I have seen some rarities played the place usually erupts in gratitude....memory motel, Cant you hear me knocking, Sway....and those arent even really on the backup warhorse list. They could have three separate warhorse shows....to not play around with such a vast catalogue of classics is just (sorry to say boys) lazy. But alas...they are my faves and I will still go as I do believe it will be the last this time. Just because they are my faves though doesn't mean I cant hold them accountable to a higher standard (whether they listen or not).

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 26, 2019 03:05

ive been getting into a lot of the very early stuff recently, from youtube, never got much into these songs from listening to tapes, vinyl in mono, but with visuals of the band and higher definition it sounds great.

o baby we got a good thing going
suzie q
2120 south michigan avenue
tell me
she said yeah
blue turns to grey
one more try
im alright
the under assistant promo man
off the hook
cops and robbers
its all over now
i just wanna make love to you

all great songs, be good if we get some in concert but doubt it.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 26, 2019 03:14

I am going to keep going until they play Star Star again.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: March 26, 2019 03:17

star star.

no way, not with children in attendance.

they might ask teacher who steve mcqueen is.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2019 04:12

Maybe they forgot the words …..

ROCKMAN

Date: March 26, 2019 13:08

I wonder if Mick's autocue is censored ? grinning smiley

"Star%^&*er, Star%^&*er , Star%^&*er, Star%^&*er, Sta--aa...arr "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-26 13:11 by Spud.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 26, 2019 13:46

Does it matter what they play today? It all sounds about the same anyway.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 11:36

babyblue
They might surprise us this year as it IS LAST USA tour.

Really???
Many of my friends were confinced that the second Chicago show in upcoming June was going to be the last ever concert of the Rolling Stones! They bought typically tickets for that concert. And then ... the Stones added a Canadian show after that date ...
This could be the last time, maybe the last time, I DON'T KNOW
smileys with beer

Date: March 27, 2019 13:16

More Hot Rocks
from 1989 they have been playing older songs. The Last Time, Play With Fire, Its All Over Now...etc...the list goes on and on.

They have done "Play With Fire" ONE time in the past 30 + years since the Tokyo 1990 concerts.

Date: March 27, 2019 13:19

keithsman
bv
rebelrebel
I would agree that stadium audiences might go for a beer if the Stones started playing Spider and the Fly but anything on the compilations would hold their attention, e.g. The Last Time, It's All Over Now, 19th Nervous Breakdown. It would be good to hear them sometimes. To be fair Get Off My Cloud and Under My Thumb do get regular outings.

I don't agree. If they play "Spider & Fly" or "19th Nervous" then they will meet 95% blank faces. People want to hear what they hear 100 times on the radio unfortunately. Many fans were not even born in the early 60's, or they were still with diapers.

But songs like Sway, Rocks Off, Memory Motel, All Down The Line and Beast Of Burden are very rarely played live, but when they are, they get a huge reception from the crowd.
There are many songs that are not Warhorses that could replace some worn out Warhorses like IORR , Miss You, HTW, Tumbling Dice and YCAGWYW in my opinion.

"All Down the Line" has been played on every tour since 1994 as far as I can remember.

Sure,almost all non-warhorses are rare right now since they reduced the shows to 19 songs but,songs such as "All Down the Line" and "Rocks Off" were performed many times in the post-Wyman era.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 27, 2019 15:40

I guess it depends on whether you mean "old songs" or "obscure songs"

...and how you define "old songs"...I mean Steel Wheels songs are 30 years old.

I'd love to hear Memo from Turner.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 28, 2019 09:21

It was lovely to hear Lady Jane at the O2, but most of my section decided it was beer'n'bathroom time. Similarly, Keith started out singing The Worst last year but it soon got dropped. They don't have the patience to persist with a song if they think it isn't going down well.

The problem with Brian-era songs is that there is no Brian. A tribute act can have lots of fun imitating him, and some do it very well indeed, but when the real band play very old stuff they play it not as imitators but as their present day selves. So it's not a jukebox copy of a familiar oldie (which the crowd would probably enjoy) and tends not to go down well - so they don't try it again. The songs, as the band now occasionally play them, have evolved but the audience's ears haven't.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 28, 2019 14:38

All Down The Line wasn't played in 2017 nor during the European leg of Licks in '03. It wasn't performed at all in 1997 either or during No Security in '99 if memory serves me right(just once in MSG 17th jan-98). It should be played at every G******n show IMHO. It was cool when they threw it in during the warhorse section along with Starf&%¤# in 1981 at a show or two. Blinding!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-28 14:49 by MadMax.

Date: March 28, 2019 15:00

Green Lady
... The songs, as the band now occasionally play them, have evolved but the audience's ears haven't.

Good point...but with the accompanying irony that some songs, in contrast, have suffered as live numbers in the "modern era" because they decided to arrange them more like the record.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 28, 2019 15:12

kovach

Songs 36-42 years old aren't deep enough in the past? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

My thoughts, exactly. It's ALL music from the past.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 28, 2019 16:02

MadMax
All Down The Line wasn't played in 2017 nor during the European leg of Licks in '03. It wasn't performed at all in 1997 either or during No Security in '99 if memory serves me right(just once in MSG 17th jan-98). It should be played at every G******n show IMHO. It was cool when they threw it in during the warhorse section along with Starf&%¤# in 1981 at a show or two. Blinding!!!

All Down the Line was absolutely performed during the European leg of the '03 Licks Tour. Not much on the No Security Tour but they did perform it in Washington D.C. 1999.

It's been in there semi-regular 1994 up until (let's say) 2015 or 2016.

What I am saying is that it is not a rare song on the level of some others such as "Play With Fire" performed 1 time in 29 + years ..... and not performed for another 21 + years period before that stretch of time.

So,really "Play With Fire" was performed in the mid-'60's , then not again until 1989/very early 1990 , and only 1 other time besides that. Over 50 years with not performing the song in public at all.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 28, 2019 16:07

Yeah in Cirkus Krone München, that's correct! But once only and in a theatre so it wasnae really a staple…winking smiley

Date: March 28, 2019 16:15

I often suspect that some older songs are left out because the now older Mick, for whatever reason, doesn't feel comfortable singing them any more.

He over thinks a lot of stuff...and sometimes needs to remind himself that it is indeed only Rock N Roll.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home