Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: RHCP Live At The Pyramids
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 3, 2022 01:14

keefriff99
My criticism of Anthony has nothing to do with his performance...he's an amazing frontman.

But it's common knowledge among rock fans that Anthony is NOTORIOUSLY bad at staying in tune live. This has been discussed going back to the '90s.

Mick certainly has his shortcomings as vocalist, but he works hard, takes care of his voice, and stays in tune.

The guy writes the same melody over and over again. He’s terrible. Yes as a frontman he’s great but at the same time a musical doofus.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 3, 2022 02:32

I used to love RHCP and especially Blood Sugar Sex Magik in the 90’s. Their music has aged terribly to me. Maybe I grew up. Not sure what it is, but Anthony is embarrassing.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 3, 2022 12:44

NashvilleBlues
I used to love RHCP and especially Blood Sugar Sex Magik in the 90’s. Their music has aged terribly to me. Maybe I grew up. Not sure what it is, but Anthony is embarrassing.

The rest of the band are amazing though. The vocals will be better with Frusciante back in the mix.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: February 3, 2022 15:28

I know Anthony is a divisive figure, and some people aren't going to like listening to the Chili Peppers no matter how good the rest of the band is. I understand. I feel the same way about Rush.

I only got into the Red Hot Chili Peppers relatively recently. I bought "One Hot Minute" way back in the day just because of Dave Navarro. I was reading on a site where there was universal agreement that "One Hot Minute" was their worst album by a mile. So, I pulled the CD out of my collection, gave it another spin, and really enjoyed it. I said to myself "if this is their worst album, I really should listen to their best."

So I started collecting their other albums, and ended up a fan of sorts. I think there's a lot of musicality there. I frankly love their most recent album "The Getaway." The playout groove of "Goodbye Angels" is excellent. The whole album is good, imho. I thought Danger Mouse did a good job of steering the band away from some of the things that have become their cliches and got them out of their comfort zone in a good way. While it will be great to have Frusciante back, I hope Rick Rubin will try to be a little more involved creatively in this new album and not be as complacent as I feel he had become for the last few of their albums.

Date: February 3, 2022 15:48

One Hot Minute is criminally underrated. There is an intensity/tension on some songs I don’t feel on any of their other albums. Warped is truly an original. The vocals are fantastic on Warped.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 3, 2022 16:28

NashvilleBlues
One Hot Minute is criminally underrated.

Considering what both "parts" (RHCP and JA) came from (the very good "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and the superb "Ritual De Lo Habitual") OHM came out as a huge disappointment imho.

Date: February 3, 2022 16:45

dcba
NashvilleBlues
One Hot Minute is criminally underrated.

Considering what both "parts" (RHCP and JA) came from (the very good "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" and the superb "Ritual De Lo Habitual") OHM came out as a huge disappointment imho.

Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t even approach either one of those albums.

Date: February 3, 2022 17:34

dcba

That is true. That's kind of why I mentioned the reason I relistened to it. Without directly comparing it to those other albums and just judging it on its own merits, "One Hot Minute" stands up well, in my humble opinion.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 3, 2022 18:07

I "discovered" the Peppers only with Blood Sugar. I was blown away the first time I listened to it and still consider it one of the best things of the 90s.

Very sorry when Frusciante left, but I remember the mix of high expectations and curiosity when I read that Navarro would replace him. Expectations because Navarro's contribution to Janes Addiction was huge, curiosity because his guitar style was quite the opposite of Frusciante's.

I agree that One Hot Minute was a good album, but it certainly did not meet my expectations. And it certainly didm't have the impact of Frusciante's comeback, Californication.

Californicatiom, now that was a real masterpiece! So huge that it took me years to really appreciate its successor By the Way.

C

Date: February 3, 2022 19:16

liddas
I "discovered" the Peppers only with Blood Sugar. I was blown away the first time I listened to it and still consider it one of the best things of the 90s.

Very sorry when Frusciante left, but I remember the mix of high expectations and curiosity when I read that Navarro would replace him. Expectations because Navarro's contribution to Janes Addiction was huge, curiosity because his guitar style was quite the opposite of Frusciante's.

I agree that One Hot Minute was a good album, but it certainly did not meet my expectations. And it certainly didm't have the impact of Frusciante's comeback, Californication.

Californicatiom, now that was a real masterpiece! So huge that it took me years to really appreciate its successor By the Way.
C

Stadium Arcadium has some gems. Wet Sand is a standout.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-03 20:49 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 3, 2022 20:17

I just listened to "My Lovely Man" from a 1994 FM broadcast of an Irish show and on that one Navarro displays his main flaw : he plays funk without any passion.

He plays the Frusciante track like a metal guy would : aptly but you easily feel funk is not his thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-03 20:18 by dcba.

Date: February 3, 2022 20:47

dcba
I just listened to "My Lovely Man" from a 1994 FM broadcast of an Irish show and on that one Navarro displays his main flaw : he plays funk without any passion.

He plays the Frusciante track like a metal guy would : aptly but you easily feel funk is not his thing.

Do you find this funky or robotic?
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 3, 2022 20:48

According to a fan channel on YouTube the first new single and/or song named is "Black Summer."

Date: February 4, 2022 03:32

The new Red Hot Chili Peppers album is called "Unlimited Love" and will be out April 1. 17 songs, 73 minutes.

First single "Black Summer" expected to be released possibly tonight at midnight EST.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2022 03:33

jahisnotdead
The new Red Hot Chili Peppers album is called "Unlimited Love" and will be out April 1. 17 songs, 73 minutes.

First single "Black Summer" expected to be released possibly tonight at midnight EST.

thumbs up

Date: February 4, 2022 07:02

video: [youtu.be]

https://youtu.be/OS8taasZl8k

Black Summer - Official Music Video

Date: February 4, 2022 07:03

I like it a lot. Definitely unexpected to have a laid back track as the album opener.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 4, 2022 07:06

More Hot Rocks
The guy writes the same melody over and over again. He’s terrible. Yes as a frontman he’s great but at the same time a musical doofus.

LOL, agree for the most part, but I'd say he has about 3 melodies that he repeats. And yes, terrible!!

Date: February 4, 2022 07:24

"Our only goal is to get lost in the music. We spent thousands of hours, collectively and individually, honing our craft and showing up for one another, to make the best album we could. Our antennae attuned to the divine cosmos, we were just so damn grateful for the opportunity to be in a room together, and, once again, try to get better. Days, weeks and months spent listening to each other, composing, jamming freely, and arranging the fruit of those jams with great care and purpose. The sounds, rhythms, vibrations, words and melodies had us enrapt. We yearn to shine a light in the world, to uplift, connect, and bring people together. Each of the songs on our new album UNLIMITED LOVE, is a facet of us, reflecting our view of the universe. This is our life’s mission. We work, focus, and prepare, so that when the biggest wave comes, we are ready to ride it. The ocean has gifted us a mighty wave and this record is the ride that is the sum of our lives. Thank you for listening, we hope you enjoy it.”- John, Anthony, Chad, and Flea

“When we got together to start writing material, we began by playing old songs by people like Johnny "Guitar" Watson, The Kinks, The New York Dolls, Richard Barrett and others. Ever so gradually, we started bringing in new ideas, and turning jams into songs, and after a couple of months the new stuff was all we were playing. The feeling of effortless fun we had when we were playing songs by other people, stayed with us the whole time we were writing. For me, this record represents our love for, and faith in each other.”- John

Date: February 4, 2022 07:36

Hairball

"Our only goal is to get lost in the music. We spent thousands of hours, collectively and individually, honing our craft and showing up for one another, to make the best album we could. Our antennae attuned to the divine cosmos, we were just so damn grateful for the opportunity to be in a room together, and, once again, try to get better. Days, weeks and months spent listening to each other, composing, jamming freely, and arranging the fruit of those jams with great care and purpose. The sounds, rhythms, vibrations, words and melodies had us enrapt. We yearn to shine a light in the world, to uplift, connect, and bring people together. Each of the songs on our new album UNLIMITED LOVE, is a facet of us, reflecting our view of the universe. This is our life’s mission. We work, focus, and prepare, so that when the biggest wave comes, we are ready to ride it. The ocean has gifted us a mighty wave and this record is the ride that is the sum of our lives. Thank you for listening, we hope you enjoy it.”- John, Anthony, Chad, and Flea

“When we got together to start writing material, we began by playing old songs by people like Johnny "Guitar" Watson, The Kinks, The New York Dolls, Richard Barrett and others. Ever so gradually, we started bringing in new ideas, and turning jams into songs, and after a couple of months the new stuff was all we were playing. The feeling of effortless fun we had when we were playing songs by other people, stayed with us the whole time we were writing. For me, this record represents our love for, and faith in each other.”- John

That's inspiring. I know this album is going to deliver, because it comes from a pure place.

Posted by: basti ()
Date: February 20, 2022 01:08

have anyone shows from this page

[www.livechilipeppers.com]

Date: April 1, 2022 23:35

I'm halfway through listening to the new album "Unlimited Love".

Date: April 1, 2022 23:52

jahisnotdead
I'm halfway through listening to the new album "Unlimited Love".

I like it. If you like second-stint era Frusciante, you’ll like this one. 4/5 stars.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 2, 2022 00:26

After 2 listens, I'm pretty disappointed in the new record. I'll give it more listens but again, Anthony is the weak link. & you've get Rick "brickwall" Rubin producing again. Ugh.

Date: April 2, 2022 00:42

After one listen, I'm about a 3.5/5. It could go up with more listens. It feels there's more '80's and '90's style rapping on this album than there has been since that era. It definitely sounds like RHCP. Fans should be pleased, and anyone hearing them for the first time here and liking it will like the rest of their catalog.

The highlights for me were "White Braids & Pillow Chair", "The Great Apes", and "These Are The Ways". Those were all cool songs I know I will want to put on a playlist.

"One Way Traffic" felt the most like early RHCP, but it still managed to have some fresh sounding turns in the bridges. I liked it. "Poster Child" was fun, but I'm not sure if went next level. It was still enjoyable.

I wasn't feeling "Not The One" or "She's A Lover" on first listen. It's also hard not to hear bits of Anthony's melodies that feel like things he's done before and better on other songs, even other songs on the same album. Did no one notice that his verse melody in the second-to-last song here "The Heavy Wing" is virtually identical to the album opener "Black Summer?" It's too bad. Both songs are good.

"Veronica" was weird and felt like it didn't fully come together for some reason.

Anyway, even the mid level quality songs are listenable, mainly because the band plays like a finely tuned machine. For rock fans, it's always cool to hear a heavy drummer and slappin' bass with some shredding guitar when they are all really on the same page and playing as one.

Date: April 2, 2022 01:46

I like the album. Alot.
And I like the catchy funky reggae vibe of this tune, along with the nice guitar solos - alot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-02 01:47 by Hairball.

Date: April 2, 2022 01:50

LeonidP
More Hot Rocks

LOL, agree for the most part, but I'd say he has about 3 melodies that he repeats. And yes, terrible!!

His lyrics are always cartoonishly funny, but he’s doing a few new things vocally on the new album. Solid melodies, cadence, and phrasing. Like it or not, no one else does what RHCP does.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: April 2, 2022 01:53

crholmstrom
After 2 listens, I'm pretty disappointed in the new record. I'll give it more listens but again, Anthony is the weak link. & you've get Rick "brickwall" Rubin producing again. Ugh.

Vinyl sounds great, no compression, all-analogue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-02 01:53 by MrEcho.

Date: April 2, 2022 22:03

From Jambase.com

Red Hot Chili Peppers Welcome George Clinton At 1st Show With John Frusciante Since 2007
Watch the funk legend and longtime RHCP collaborator join the band for one of their classics and more.
By Nate Todd Apr 2, 2022 • 9:48 am PDT

Fonda Theater Surprise show

Red Hot Chili Peppers delivered a “surprise” hometown show at The Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles on Friday marking guitarist John Frusciante’s first public concert with the band since 2007 and RHCP’s first public show since 2019. The special occasion also saw RHCP welcoming funk legend George Clinton and offering a trio of live debuts of songs from their new album, Unlimited Love, which arrived yesterday as well.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers kicked off the show with Unlimited Love single “These Are The Ways,” which they recently performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live. The Kimmel performance and last night’s show at The Fonda saw RHCP drummer Chad Smith with “Talyor” written on his bass drum in honor of Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins who sadly died on March 25. The band then turned to material, “Snow ((Hey Oh)),” off their 2006 album Stadium Arcadium — the group’s last album with Frusciante until Unlimited Love.

The Chili Peppers then offered their first Unlimited Love debut of the evening in the form of “Here Ever After” ahead of a cut, “Suck My Kiss,” off their landmark 1991 album Blood Sugar Sex Magik. RHCP then unveiled Unlimited Love’s “Aquatic Mouth Dance” followed by Stadium Arcadium’s “Hey” and a favorite, “Can’t Stop,” from their 2002 LP By The Way. Frusciante then delivered a solo guitar arrangement of the Elton John 1970 classic “Your Song,” a cover making its first Red Hot Chili Peppers appearance in decades, as per SetlistFM.

“Not The One” then counted as the final Unlimited Love debut of the evening followed by the LP’s lead single, “Black Summer,” a version of which also aired on The Tonight Show on Friday. RHCP brought the set to a close with the title track to By The Way. Red Hot Chili Peppers returned for an encore of “Give It Away.” The band’s old friend and collaborator George Clinton, who produced RHCP’s 1985 sophomore album Freaky Styley and has performed with the quartet throughout the years, sauntered out onto the stage as Smith and bassist Flea locked in a groove that would lead into the Blood Sugar Sex Magik classic with Clinton and RHCP frontman Anthony Kiedis teaming up to sing the funky number.

Watch fan-shot video of Geroge Clinton and Red Hot Chil Peppers on “Give It Away” along with clips of the “Here Ever After” debut, Frusciante on “Your Song” and more below:

--------------------------------------------

Next up - live at Amoeba Records on April 7th. Amoeba

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-02 22:05 by Hairball.

Date: April 3, 2022 01:13

I just watched "These Are The Ways" played on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Great song, ferocious performance. Chad Smith is a monster.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home