Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Phorum Database Error - problem solving
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 11, 2019 10:32

On rare occations you might get such an error when posting on the IORR forum:

Phorum Database Error
Sorry, a Phorum database error occurred.
The error message has been written
to the phorum-sql-errors.log error log.
Please try again later!
'
The reason is because the forum software "think" something is wrong with the text you are trying to post. I might hire hundred sofdtware engineers to find the problem, but as it do only do occure very rarely, I would rather post the WORKAROUND i.e. how to fix the problem here.

1. Rather than posting the text you do intend to post, just post something simple, like "test"

2. After having posted the dummy text, do an "Edit post" and change it into the text you intended to post.

If the problem is not going away with this fix, please let me know, or post here.

This thread will be sticky for a few days. Also, I will post a link to it it into the "Forum links of interest" seaction, as linked up from the home page.

Bjornulf

test - not working
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 10, 2019 23:07

Nope, it's still not working, keep getting this same message even after I log out and back in:

Phorum Database Error
Please try again later!

What does this mean? Maybe my post is too long? Are there limits? I am excerpting an article

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 23:12 by timbernardis.

Re: test - not working
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 10, 2019 23:18

Possibly too long?
Also maybe embedded formatting characters?

Try copy/pasting into a text editor;
Then convert from "Rich text" to "plain text" ;
Then look for weird-looking text characters, TAB characters, delete them manually (or search and replace...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-10 23:19 by schillid.

Date: March 11, 2019 00:53

schillid
Possibly too long?

Then look for weird-looking text characters, TAB characters, delete them manually (or search and replace...)

Or maybe I can just break it up into 2 threads. But BV might not like that.

plexi

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 11, 2019 01:01

Why not just post a link to the article?

Date: March 11, 2019 03:14

Hairball

No, when I see that myself, just a link, I am much less likely to read it, so I have just dug out the most important parts in hopes that other folks, like me, are more likely to read it. Maybe I just fear having to spend a lot of time reading an entire article when all I want, most of the time, is to look at the important parts. Even if it is a full article, I am more likely to read it on the board rather than going to the original article. Guess I am just lazy. Or as Johnny Rotten put it "I'm a lazy sod!"

Also, I have bolded the most significant parts so it is easy for folks to just scan down through it. And I do provide the link to the full article at the end.

plexi

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 11, 2019 03:37

schillid
Possibly too long?

Normally this is the problem "Also maybe embedded formatting characters?" you only can use the standard US keyboard characters no other language is allowed

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 11, 2019 03:38

It means there's a character (not ASCII) you copied from a website that isn't the acceptable format for this forum.

Copy your text in to NOTE PAD, save it, close it, and open it. Then you'll have only the acceptable ASCII text that's
required for this forum. Cut and paste the text you saved, closed opened and copied in to your post.

Let us know how it works for you.

ExileStones

Date: March 11, 2019 03:40

timbernardis
Hairball

No, when I see that myself, just a link, I am much less likely to read it, so I have just dug out the most important parts in hopes that other folks, like me, are more likely to read it. Maybe I just fear having to spend a lot of time reading an entire article when all I want, most of the time, is to look at the important parts. Even if it is a full article, I am more likely to read it on the board rather than going to the original article. Guess I am just lazy. Or as Johnny Rotten put it "I'm a lazy sod!"

Also, I have bolded the most significant parts so it is easy for folks to just scan down through it. And I do provide the link to the full article at the end.

plexi

Thanks for the extra effort you put in to your post and finding out how to fix it. Much appreciated.

Date: March 11, 2019 04:29

Thanks Exile,still having problems, to wit.

I go to the Word document, try to save it in Notepad under Save as Type but it is not in the dropdown menu of options.

Next, I open Notepad, try to copy and paste the Word document, but when I try to save it, I get this message:

This file contains characters in Unicode format which will be lost if you save this file as an ANSI encoded text file. To keep the Unicode information, click Cancel below and then select one of the Unicode options from the encoding dropdown list. Continue?

I can't find the Encoding dropdown list. So, what to do???

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 11, 2019 05:18

eeeeerrrr eeeerrr tim why didnt you just
copy/paste the three parts into one thread ….????

ROCKMAN

Date: March 11, 2019 07:23

Rockman

That was the first thing I tried. and it was rejected with the message I quoted at the top of this thread. Then it began to reject smaller and smaller pieces til I just gave up. Still awaiting help from Exile Stones or BV.

plexi

Re: Phorum Database Error - problem solving
Date: March 11, 2019 11:10

This is a crash course in "binary search", which is one of the first things I learned when I started computer science studies at the university in Oslo ages ago, actually by the time the data terminal screens were 80x24 characters only, in the seventes, and we did even have punch cards...

Binary search is all about dividing a large problem into half. Any computer task is really binary if you break it down into bits and pieces, zero and one.

If you have a large text of thousand words, and you try to post it, and it is failing, then it is either a systematic error, or one specific error. If it is one specific error, then binary search is brilliant in solving the problem.

Just divide the problem into two half parts. Then post the one or the other. One of them will work, the other will not. A problem of 1000 words will be isolated in ten or so tries like 1000 - 512 - 256 - 128 - 64 - 32 - 16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1.

The binary search concept may be used in any problem solving. All computer search do work that way. If you work on human problem solving the same way then you will be able to solve problems faster than by random thinking. Many do use the concept of binary search without even knowing they do it that way.

So what is the problem when you copy and paste text from one place into another? It all depends on where you get the text from. Text is not characters anymore. It is complex formatting symbols and ruleds as well, may be even graphics and multimedia data. The character "ø" in my name is not in the regular 7-bits asciii alphabet table so it is encoded like oslash or something in hex or whatetever, depending on whether you copy it from the web, from a word document, in a Mac, on a PC, from an e-mail, or some other digital device or system. May be there is even formatting information like fonts, size and so on. That is why a two charter text like "hi" takes up two bytes with a basic text editor, while it easily take up more than thousand bytes with a word processor, even if it is, in fact, simply two bytes (character codes).

If you want to clean up text, to get rid of hidden code and format contents, then use a basic editor like "Notepad" as a go between". When you paste into notepad and copy from it, most of the formatting and additional weired stuff will be gone.

The IORR forum sytem is not perfect, but it is pretty solid. May be those who programmed it thought that posting too many words and strange characters would never happen. May be you break a rule they never thought about in their coding, when you try to post something very unsusual, which is generating an error. My advice is then, like I wrote in the first post in this thread: Make it simple. Then it will work. And then you may edit, or most more on your own thread.

IN SHORT: Typing text is usually never a problem. Copy text from outside and into the IORR forum is usually ok, 99.9% of the time, but if reducing the copied section does not work, then try going through a basic character editor like notepad. Also, if it fails, may be you try to do something that isn't really normal or expected.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 13:49 by bv.

Date: March 11, 2019 17:28

bv
On rare occations you might get such an error when posting on the IORR forum:

Phorum Database Error
Please try again later!
'
The reason is because the forum software "think" something is wrong with the text you are trying to post. I might hire hundred sofdtware engineers to find the problem, but as it do only do occure very rarely, I would rather post the WORKAROUND i.e. how to fix the problem here.

1. Rather than posting the text you do intend to post, just post something simple, like "test"

2. After having posted the dummy text, do an "Edit post" and change it into the text you intended to post.

If the problem is not going away with this fix, please let me know, or post here.

This thread will be sticky for a few days. Also, I will post a link to it it into the "Forum links of interest" seaction, as linked up from the home page.

I did try that BV, but it didn't work. But I did try what you suggested in your later post in this thread, and I couldn't get past another problem, to wit:

I go to the Word document, try to save it in Notepad under Save as Type but it is not in the dropdown menu of options.

Next, I open Notepad, try to copy and paste the Word document, but when I try to save it, I get this message:

This file contains characters in Unicode format which will be lost if you save this file as an ANSI encoded text file. To keep the Unicode information, click Cancel below and then select one of the Unicode options from the encoding dropdown list. Continue?

plexi

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 11, 2019 17:31

Rockman

I did it for him above.

Date: March 11, 2019 18:33

timbernardis

plexi

Perfect! When you get this message when saving in NOTEPAD, keep going. Save it as a Text File (ASCII).

Don't Cancel. Keep going.

Unicode format which will be lost

Great! That's what you want to do. Get rid of the Unicode Format. The Unicode Format is the problem.

Like I said, Cut and Past what you want to post in NOTEPAD and Save it. Close NOTE PAD and get the saved file. When you save the file in NOTEPAD it will be changed in to TEXT (ASCII) which works on IORR.

Don't make anything Bold in WORD before saving everything in TEXT format. Make things BOLD in this forum. You can only post TEXT here, no Rich Text. Do all of your formatting here.

ONLY POST TEXT IN IORR. You can try to post different Rich Texts here and many times it works. But when you get the Phorum Database Error message save the Text as TEXT.

Don't create posts in WORD for IORR and expect the BOLD or other formatting to carry over from WORD to IORR.

I use BOLD and different sized fonts all of the time. You have to do your formatting here, here is an example:
[iorr.org]

Date: March 11, 2019 18:38

timbernardis

plexi

I don't remember anything about a Encoding dropdown list.

You can email me a document that you are having trouble with and I'll look at it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 11, 2019 21:32

I've been trying to change/get rid of my signature for years. I always get this message:

An error occurred in the application.
The error was logged to the Phorum event log.

Any help?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 11, 2019 21:41

This forum only accepts ASCII??? What is it running on, Windows 95 (Start me up) ? smoking smiley

Date: March 11, 2019 21:53

Koen
This forum only accepts ASCII??? What is it running on, Windows 95 (Start me up) ? smoking smiley

Absolutely not. You may enter any text or character you do have available on your keyboard into the IORR forum. Includingthe entire utf8/unicode tables etc..

U+00C0 À c3 80 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH GRAVE
U+00C1 Á c3 81 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH ACUTE
U+00C2 Â c3 82 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX
U+00C3 Ã c3 83 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH TILDE
U+00C4 Ä c3 84 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
U+00D0 Ð c3 90 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ETH
U+00D1 Ñ c3 91 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH TILDE
U+00D2 Ò c3 92 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH GRAVE
U+00D3 Ó c3 93 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH ACUTE
U+00D4 Ô c3 94 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH CIRCUMFLEX
U+00D5 Õ c3 95 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH TILDE
U+00D6 Ö c3 96 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS
U+00D7 × c3 97 MULTIPLICATION SIGN
U+00D8 Ø c3 98 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH STROKE
U+00D9 Ù c3 99 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH GRAVE
U+00DA Ú c3 9a LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH ACUTE
U+00DB Û c3 9b LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH CIRCUMFLEX
U+00DC Ü c3 9c LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS
U+00DD Ý c3 9d LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH ACUTE
U+00DE Þ c3 9e LATIN CAPITAL LETTER THORN
U+00DF ß c3 9f LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S
U+00E0 à c3 a0 LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH GRAVE

The problem, or rather saying what you CAN NOT post into the forum, is elephants and roosters and cars and other sorts or items or graphics or complex structures that you will never be able to reconstruct on a keyboard.

It is very s9mple. If you can't copy a text into IORR, then just CTRL-C and CTRL-V into Notepad, then CTRL_C in Notepad and CTRL-V into IORR. No need to save at all, just paste through a system that doers not try to preserve complex structures that do not have anything to do in a written context.

It is not rocket science. Just type it, or paste it. If the pasting don't work, then there is some unwanted stuff in your paste buffer, get rid of it. OIt is like bringing food into Australia. Not allowed.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 21:59 by bv.

Date: March 11, 2019 23:45

bv
Koen

Absolutely not. You may enter any text or character you do have available on your keyboard into the IORR forum. Includingthe entire utf8/unicode tables etc..

U+00C0 À c3 80 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH GRAVE
U+00C1 Á c3 81 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH ACUTE
U+00C2 Â c3 82 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX
U+00C3 Ã c3 83 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH TILDE
U+00C4 Ä c3 84 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
U+00D0 Ð c3 90 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ETH
U+00D1 Ñ c3 91 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH TILDE
U+00D2 Ò c3 92 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH GRAVE
U+00D3 Ó c3 93 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH ACUTE
U+00D4 Ô c3 94 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH CIRCUMFLEX
U+00D5 Õ c3 95 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH TILDE
U+00D6 Ö c3 96 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS
U+00D7 × c3 97 MULTIPLICATION SIGN
U+00D8 Ø c3 98 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH STROKE
U+00D9 Ù c3 99 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH GRAVE
U+00DA Ú c3 9a LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH ACUTE
U+00DB Û c3 9b LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH CIRCUMFLEX
U+00DC Ü c3 9c LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS
U+00DD Ý c3 9d LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH ACUTE
U+00DE Þ c3 9e LATIN CAPITAL LETTER THORN
U+00DF ß c3 9f LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S
U+00E0 à c3 a0 LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH GRAVE

The problem, or rather saying what you CAN NOT post into the forum, is elephants and roosters and cars and other sorts or items or graphics or complex structures that you will never be able to reconstruct on a keyboard.

It is very s9mple. If you can't copy a text into IORR, then just CTRL-C and CTRL-V into Notepad, then CTRL_C in Notepad and CTRL-V into IORR. No need to save at all, just paste through a system that doers not try to preserve complex structures that do not have anything to do in a written context.

It is not rocket science. Just type it, or paste it. If the pasting don't work, then there is some unwanted stuff in your paste buffer, get rid of it. OIt is like bringing food into Australia. Not allowed.

That's correct that's the way I do it not that I often had the problem it occurs only if copy something from the internet and past it in to a comment and do some editing

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 12, 2019 04:18

bv

What about when you copy something then right click and choose "Paste as Plain Text" instead of just "Paste"?

Date: March 12, 2019 04:31

Sometimes when I type: "Æ€¢©®½$¥£œÑ" ... the forum substitutes: F--- you

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 04:51 by schillid.

Date: March 12, 2019 12:26

The Sicilian
bv

What about when you copy something then right click and choose "Paste as Plain Text" instead of just "Paste"?

In Notepad?

Date: March 12, 2019 19:52

The Sicilian
bv

Exactly.

Bjornulf

Date: March 12, 2019 19:56

Right click and you will see TWO options:

Paste (i.e. "paste all": same as: Control + V)
Paste as plain text (i.e. paste "text only": same as: Control + Shift + V)

The second option is more or less the same as pasting through notepad.

PS. Most of the time, a plain straigh forward PASTE operation will be fine with all systems. Still, if you have issues, then it is quite useful to know the difference in "paste all" and "paste text".

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-12 20:18 by bv.

Date: March 13, 2019 01:46

Testing........... )*( -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-13 01:49 by NICOS.

Date: November 4, 2023 14:38

Phorum Database Error - problem-solving app online

[pages.cs.wisc.edu]

Date: November 4, 2023 14:45

The IORR forum database is very, very old, almost as old as the world wide web, from the late 90's I think. The good thing is the fact that there is now a very large database of more than one million posts, same site, same solution. Most sites have changed technical solution many times since the 90's.

I am working on a new solution, because everything must come to an end at some point. Patience please. I used to say that I would update everything when there was a break in touring, for more than a couple of years. It seems like they will tour forever, so I am working on the new solutions now.

If you have suggestions for great forum systems, then feel free to e-mail me. Thanks!

Bjornulf

Date: November 4, 2023 16:59

ZZ77777Z                                          
                           777777Z+77777        ~77777777777                    
                        ~77777        Z77     ZZ7777Z    7777Z                  
                       77777Z          777  Z77777         Z77Z                 
                     +777777           777 Z77777           777~                
                    77777777777777    777777777777 :777     7777                
                   I77777777777777777777777777777777777777777777?               
                  ?7777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777               
                 ~77777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777               
                ~7777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777              
               ~77777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777Z             
               777777777'       77777777777777777777777777777777777             
             77777777             77777777'           '7777777777777~           
            Z77777ZM                I777                777777777777Z           
          Z77777DMMMM                                    7777777777777          
       ~7777778MMMMMMMMMMMM7                               77777777777777        
    ~77777777MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM7           A                   777777777777777      
   Z7777777NMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD77Z7      MMMM           7A       77777777777777Z    
   Z777777MMMMMMMMMMMMMN77777777MMMMMMMMMMMD     ;N77777  ,77DMN77777777777777  
    Z777777MMMMMMMMMM7777777777777NMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ777777777777777MMMO77777777777 
     7777777MMMMMMN77777777777777MMMMMMNDD877777777777777777777777ZZM77777777Z  
      7777777MMMM777777777777777MMM7777777777777777777777777777777M777777777    
       Z777777M7777777777 Z777MMM7777777777777777777777777777777D87777777Z      
        7777777777777Z   7777MM7777777777777777777I  7777777777M77777777+       
         77777777777    777ZMM777777777777777777+   777777777M777777777         
         ~77777777I    777DMZ777777777777777777    777777777M77777777?          
         77777777     777OMZ77777777777777777     77777777NZ77777777            
        77777777     777M777777777777777777    ,77777777M777777777             
       77777777     7777M777777777777777777    ,77777777M777777777              
      77777777     7777MZ77777777777777777     77777778MZ77777777~              
     77777777     7777MM7777777777777777Z     77777778M777777777~               
    77777777     7777NM77777777777777777~    77777778M7777777777                
   ~7777777     7777ZM777777777777777777    77777777M7777777777                 
   Z777777,     7777MN7777777777777777Z    77777777MO777777777                  
  ?777777Z     77777M77777777777777777     7777777MM777777777                   
  7777777     IZ777MO7777777777777777I    Z777777MM777777777Z                   
  ,777777Z     77777M77777777777777777     7777777M8777777777                     
 7777777     I77777M7777777777777777     7777777MM777777777~                    
 ,7777777     7777777777777777777777      777777ZM7777777777                      
+7777777     7777777777777777777777     ?777777MM777777777                      
77777777    7777777777777777777777      777777DM777777777~                      
77777777?   777777777777777777777,      777777MM77777777                        
77777777777777777777777777777777I      777777OM77777777                         
7777777777777777777777777777777Z      7777777MM7777777                          
 777777777777777777777777777777       7777778M7777777                           
 77777777777777777777777777777       7777777MD777777                            
 7777777777777777777777777777       7777777MM7777+                              
  7777777777777777777777777777     7777777MM77+                                 
  ~7777777777777777777777777777~ ?Z77777ZM7~                                    
   ~777777777777777777777777777777777777M                                       
    ~77777777777777777777777777777777788                                        
      7777777777777777777777777777777M~                                         
        7777777777777777777777777777M                                           
         7777777777777777777777777M~                                            
            7777777777777777777DM                                                
77777777777Z778I                                   
  777777778'                                      

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home