Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
most disappointing stones show
Posted by: graveyard watch ()
Date: October 7, 2005 09:41

i'm sure this ground has been covered before but as i'm new to the board -hello everybody!- i figured what the hell. i saw them in cleveland in '75 (tickets i believe were 20$ - which for that time was considered outlandish and 20 was what i payed a scalper in pittsburgh 3 years prior) there was no floor seating so when they opened the gates everybody sprinted toward the stage and we ended up about 60 feet away/front and center. joe vitale, a drummer who used to play with joe walsh opened the show and j. giels was very good. everybody was stoned or drunk including me by the time the boys came on in the early evening, and right from the start and much to my amazement..they were, and there's no other word for it...bad..and they seemed to sputter the entire set. for 2 minutes they were the W G RnR band then they'd tank. it wasn't the rhythm section or billy preston, nor was it jagger. rather KR and RW missed chords, blew fills, solos, intros--it took mick's singing to recognize 'luxury'-- then billy came on, and as good as he was and is, that's not why we were there. i was high but i wasn't that far gone. nevertheless, it was still worth it and i had no regrets. didn't change my opinion one bit, but i expected so much better because of that pgh. show in 72'... which was amazing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-07 09:46 by graveyard watch.

Re: most disappointing stones show
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 7, 2005 11:21

i have not been to a disapointing stones show as i have only been to 2 shoes

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 7, 2005 16:43

...really big shoes

Date: October 7, 2005 16:48

oberhausen, germany 2003. AC/DC (support act) blew them away....

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: October 7, 2005 16:50

Cologne 3rd July1981, I do not know why But it just didn't kick me and I was a bit astonished by the Astoria show 2003. I mean playing 1 hour and 43 minutes in a town were you invented Rock and Roll to a new space is a bit lacking.
This is why I am very reluctant to London shows now (Wembley Arena was so much different though) It seems like they wanna do the job and go home.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 7, 2005 17:19

Knebworth 1976, Roundhay Park, Leeds 1982, and Bercy 2003.

When they're good, they're out of this world. When they're bad, they are pitiful.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: October 7, 2005 17:35

i have never been disapointed...............i have been to 33 shows!!!
sorry ...... whats the old saying misery loves company.......stones are the best!!

Date: October 7, 2005 17:38

I love kneb76 and bercy 03 !

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 7, 2005 17:38

Bercy and Astoria 2003 ?
I don't agree.

I have not seen any disapointing show, but some were better than others. Disapointments mostly came from a particular song (Angie in Zurich 03, Brown Sugar at Vredenburg 03...)

The 2 shows I didn't really get into were the 1st Wembley stadium 99 and the Opening night in Munich 03 (Olympiahalle)

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 7, 2005 17:41

natural-born-stonesfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oberhausen, germany 2003. AC/DC (support act) blew
> them away....

B%%l shit. They were both great.

But although it was a great concert, Astoria, I was a bit disappointed about the fact they they didn't do something really special (Mick Taylor...?). Instead they rushed to the end.

But still I was a lucky guy just being there

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 7, 2005 18:09

San Jose '03 - guitars were barely audible most of the night. I like to hear an occasional guitar in my rock'n'roll shows, so you can understand my disappointment.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 7, 2005 18:14

the Stones are like sex, when they are good they a great and when they arent . . . they are still pretty damn good!!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 7, 2005 18:21

the soundmen gotta get some credit for "sabotaging" stones shows...for some unexplainable reason they just love to crank the drums and bury the guitars

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 7, 2005 19:20

Mr Keringer has it spot on.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 7, 2005 19:43

i'm not into assigning blame - i'm only into being disappointed, regardless of who's at fault.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: October 7, 2005 20:29

Nashville 97

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: October 7, 2005 20:52

Steel Wheels Giant Stadium

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 7, 2005 21:00

76 in Münster

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 7, 2005 21:01

Steel Wheels Oakland, they just seemed to rush the songs, The keyboards were way to much in the mix guitars buried. I saw them in LA on the same tour and it was a little better but for me this tour was their worst since I first went in 81 all the others have been great and no security and licks were just fantastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-07 21:03 by Ket.

Date: October 7, 2005 21:04

when you say dissapointed does that mean you cried or wanted to kill yourself??? i mean the "whole show" was a dissapointment??..the weed was bad ??? seats where bad.....cause this thread is really bad!!

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: October 7, 2005 21:14

Anaheim July 24, 1978. My first show, remember it fondly for that reason, but the sound was awful. Here I am, a Stones Live virgin, and I'm watching Keith hit the strings and nothing's coming out! WHAT? And they came on in daylight which I thought was kind of odd.

Every other show since then has been a gas, gas, gas!

Date: October 7, 2005 21:35

Does not exist for me.

Have enjoyed all of them.

**Amazed that this board has so many negative threads asking:

"What is the worst _______?"...."What has disappointed you the most?"....."What is the worst song/album?", etc, etc, etc

Date: October 7, 2005 21:37

Splattered, All Over Manhattan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does not exist for me.
>
> Have enjoyed all of them.
>
> **Amazed that this board has so many negative
> threads asking:
>
> "What is the worst _______?"...."What has
> disappointed you the most?"....."What is the worst
> song/album?", etc, etc, etc
>
>

i hear you that is why i wanted some clairifaction!!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 7, 2005 21:47

I think youur seat / position and surroundings (place and people) are critical.

My worst show was Edinburgh 99 ,but only because I was in the furthest/highest seat in the stadium.

I tried to bribe my way onto the pitch with £40 ,which is what the ticket had cost !,but no joy.

This was in the days when you bought tickets over the telephone - the seat was discribed as "great"!!!!!!!

The middle aged couple I was sat next to asked if Pete Townshend was still deaf !

I've listened to boots and am convinced that the band put on a great show and Keith did All About You!

I could have got front of bstage when I got in - Ba****rds ! GGGGRRRR.

I've got over it now - My next Scotish gig was the best ever (SEEC 1-9-03)

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: October 7, 2005 22:25

Milwaukee '75. Just awful. Chicago '78. Out-of-tune and lethargic. The 1975 and 1978 tours were the definition of "it depends what night you catch 'em on" --sometimes they were brilliant, sometimes horrible. Which, now that I think of it, was pretty much true of all their tours between 1972 and 1981. After the 'Exile' tour in '72 -- which was consistantly excellent, night after night --it wasn't until the U.S. tour in '81 that they became a truly GREAT live band again on a nightly basis.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 8, 2005 02:47

I wasn't there...I seen it on TV...that 2 Song Set from the Theatre At MSG when Mick wanted the Stones to play the fashion awards was downright aweful...nobody in the audience could care less and they played "Anybody Seen My Baby" yikes!
No energy from the band - they didn't want to be there...and Mick couldn't get any reaction from the crowd.

PECMAN

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: October 8, 2005 03:00

July 4th 1978 Buffalo, Barely 90 minutes, went through 5 back up groups 7 hours in the 100 degree heat.

Date: October 8, 2005 03:07

Virgil,

Didn't they have some dude parachute into the stadium that day while they were taking the stage?

PECMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 8, 2005 03:11

Giants Stadium in 2002. Just couldnt get into it that night, maybe it was just the mood I was in

The 2nd Wembley show in 1999. They sounded knackered and compared to the rest of the UK shows that week, all of which I was at, they sounded like they were phoning it in.

But its all relative. A below par Stones show is still better than good shows by almost everyone else.

Date: October 8, 2005 03:41

Gazza,

I was at that show...it was the only Stones show that I ever went to without drinking a beer...I worked Security that night so I couldn't party.. and was at the Soundboard the whole time...and I remember saying Keith was so off...I still have the official setlist...I was there at 5:00 during soundcheck...they played Monkey Man...It sounded like they were learning how to play it for the first time...I thought Mick would drop it from the setlsit that night...but they played it anyway...I felt for Mick that night...he was so on and had to deal with the band missing the easiest notes...but the crowd loved it and I know most went home thrilled...I wasn't.

PECMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1405
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home