Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: 1st Stones show?
Posted by: AlwaysStoned ()
Date: October 8, 2005 07:56

In Reply to Scaffer:
My first Stones show and the next five or so hold very vivid memories. I was a 14 yr. old boy from Queens, from a very liberal old left background. My friends and I were allowed to wander all over the city, though up til 1964 we mostly went to baseball games, the World's Fair, civil rights marches and folk concerts. Saw Dylan and Baez, Phil Ochs, Judy Collins, Clancey Bros , everyone around NY. But seeing the Stones at the Academy of Music was a real eye opener. I remember seeing guys with really long hair in the line outside and thinking how cool they were. Stopped getting haircuts.
Of the concerts, what I remember are small stages, screaming girls, obnoxious DJ's,lots of weird support acts, from comedians to soul groups, finally the Stones coming out and rushing through their current single and four or five other songs and getting out of there. They'd be onstage for around 25 minutes. I clearly remember one show at the Acedemy where Brian had a pink ribbon in his hair.
Between 1964 and 1966 I saw the Stones eight times in NY, Boston and Philadelphia. I left NY not long after seeing all three MSG (the old Garden) in 1969. Vancouver 1972, Seattle four times, Vancouver 5 times since 1989, Chicago 2002, and Milwaukee a month ago. And it's always a rush!

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: October 8, 2005 09:27

RAI Amsterdam, 9 October 1970, had to run away from home for a couple of days, slip under the gates that couldnt open more than 0.5 m cause people pushed too much, riot police on horses, stood in 4th row or something centre stage, spent the night at the station, couldnt have been better

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: October 8, 2005 13:17

Oslo, Sjølyst 65. The sound was terrible. The screaming and the noise made it almost impossible to hear anything. Can't recall any setlist, but they played for about 30 - 40 minutes. I think they performed Satisfaction, Little Red Rooster, Tell me, The Last Time and Around and Around. The stage looked like some big tables about 1 m high.

The story about the Norwegian band Pussycats (the most popular band in Scandinavia by that time) is well-known in Scandinavia. Sten Ekroth, the manager of Pussycats, had bought two rows in front of the stage and filled them with sreaming girls. When Pussycats had finished their set and the Stones were to enter, all the girls in front left their seats. The Stones didn't know what was happening. But the incident stole the headlines in the newspapers I remember.

The Pussycats were: Sverre "Teddy" Kjelsberg, Jimmy Aasegg, Friedel Brandt and Trond Graff. Teddy Kjeldsberg had a comebak by performing the song Samiid Ædnan together with Mattis Hætta in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1980.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: October 8, 2005 13:51

My first stones show was 18 mei 1990, de kuip rotterdam, kick off european tour
I was alone becouse I could only get one ticket(actually the last one at our postoffice come to think of it) so I was lucky to have the ticket.But the mood at the concert was soo good I never felt alone we were all dancing and singing!!!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 8, 2005 13:58

ahhh Always Stoned & Scaffer, thank you for the stories.
ain't it fine to be so blessed - and to realize it too!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: salar ()
Date: October 8, 2005 15:45

Hi,
I lost my Stones virginity on July, 4th 1982 in Cologne, germany.
for my second Stones show i had to wait 8 years, before
I saw them again in Cologne on May 30, 1990.
my last one so far was on August 2003 in Rotterdam Ahoy Arena.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 8, 2005 18:15

Scaffer,

To answer your question about the 1966 show at the Hollywood Bowl: My friend and I had seats fairly close to the stage. The opening act was Buffalo Springfield, relatively unknown then, receiving only polite applause. Who would have known that such great music would come out of that band eventually? Neil Young, Stephen Stills, Richie Furay? They were followed by the Standells and McCoys.

Then the Stones. Lots of screaming girls, it was deafening. The setlist, the clothes they were wearing, and the sound and atmosphere were very similar to what is captured on the "Got Live if You Want It" album. Mick was very energetic, and at one time, with his back to the crowd, he bent over and waved at us through his legs. A few years later I saw a photo of that in a "record/head shop" in Hollywood. I should have bought it! I do remember Charlie introducing "Lady Jane". The show was a great experience. At the time an LA radio station, KHJ, had a contest, that if you heard a certain sound, call the station and if you were the first caller, you would either win a pair of tickets to see the Rolling Stones, or you would win a "pair of Rolling Stones". Well, I heard the sound and called the station and was the first caller! I really wanted the tickets, but instead I won a "pair of Rolling Stones". I wondered what that meant. About a week later, I received a large envelope in the mail. Inside were two smooth, flat rocks. Each was painted white. One had a picture of Keith Richards on it and the other had a picture of Bill Wyman. I was really disappointed, but I bought tickets and saw the concert anyway. I don't know what ever happened to the "pari of Stones" but I wish I would have kept them.

A few years later my friends and I had made flight reservations to fly to San Francisco and then go to Altamont, but my boss threatened to fire me if I missed any more work. I had already missed 2 days when I stood in line all night to get tickets to see the Stones at the Forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-08 18:19 by DaveG.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 8, 2005 20:58

Sad our good friend Ove Tingvall doesnt post here
(but he sure as hell follows iorr); as I got it
he followed Stones in Sweden/Denmark
in 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1970.
And he didnt stop seeing them.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 8, 2005 20:59

Kuip 2003.

Posted by: Mikro-Mann ()
Date: October 8, 2005 21:04

Köln 1994

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 8, 2005 21:09

I'm a new guy to the band, saw the first time in Göteborg in 1990. I wanted to go already in 1982 to Göteborg but The Finnish Army officer was of a different opinion....no no no boyyy we have to go out into the bushes to make war tomorrow...."

By the way s-asla, you can see pictures from the Oslo 1965 gig on our homepage

Jan Richards
(www.stonesvikings.com)

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: October 10, 2005 14:43

Thanks. Great to see now 40 years later.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: October 10, 2005 14:47

Oslo, Norway: June 24th 1956. I was 7 years old, dead scared and sitting on my father's shoulders... And I was marked for life. I've seen them 62 times, from Hong Kong to Los Angeles. Hoping to include south america this winter. New York's on in January. Celebrating my birthday at The Four Seasons on January 20th...

Posted by: LE PAUL JAGGER ()
Date: October 10, 2005 14:48

Parc des princes 90 Paris

such a rainy day

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 10, 2005 15:01

Shidoobee, your our Prime Man. 1956! That´s way earlier than the others at the board. No, nudge, nudge smiling smiley,
just kiddin´... I understand it was in 66...

Would be fun with a Gathering Of The Tribes; I try to collect DandelionP and my uncles (& Björnulf) in Göteborg with some of the Vikings (all?) plus some other real cool Swedish (& Danish?) fans... And in Oslo, too?

What I kniow is that I´m going to Göteborg; but I vcant tell you right away if I will have the money to attend Oslo too.

,,,But you´re going to Göteborg for sure, arent you, Shidoobee?

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 10, 2005 16:55

Boulder '81 with Heart and George Thorogood. The crowd had no interest in Heart whatsoever. One of the girl singers kept saying "you're heros will be out soon... just a couple more songs". BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: streamer ()
Date: October 10, 2005 17:29

Moncton
sept.3,2005
Everything i expected and more.My only regret as that I was too far away.Very large venue.
Highlight was Paint it,Black.As well as the mixed up set-list,from what I expected.IORR was played second and Satisfaction was the encore.
The inflatable tongue also made everything turn cartoony,3d,and the entire place seemed to be swaying with the tongue.Must have been my frame of mind.(ya think?)
Something we like to do is close your eyes once in awhile and you really tune into the sound more.Did this for Ruby Tuesday(only for about 15 seconds)Wow,I mean Wow.Sound was clear as a bell and generated goosebumps.Micks voice was right on.
I'd go again in a minute.
Really good time.

Doin' heroin with the president

Posted by: stonesmachine ()
Date: October 11, 2005 00:21

Pontiac Silverdome 12/1/1981 Iggy Pop and Santana warmed up, close to 80,000, festival seating, first 10,000 tix were for on the floor. After Iggy was done they read off a list of all things that were thrown at him during his set, 47 bic lighters, coins, combs etc. Santana rocked. If I remember right it was close to 10:30 before the Stones got on stage, long after my acid buzz had peaked. Great frickin show. Everyone seemed impressed with the latest in technology, wireless mics and the big screen above the stage and....$22.50 I think was the price of the ticket. No Ticketbastard back than, you made out a money order to The Rolling Stones with an SASE and mailed it to the venue and they either mailed you your tickets back or your payment if it was sold out

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 11, 2005 06:52

Sullivan Stadium - Foxboro, MA - September 1989

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: October 11, 2005 07:41

reg thorpe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..mine was MSG '72 when you had to send in
> postcards to get "picked" to get
> tickets..I sent in the postcards that were
> enclosed in Exile and was so happy
> to get picked. Stevie Wonder opened for them and I
> sat in the nosebleed seats..but at 16, I didn't
> care one bit. They brought out a big cake for
> Mick,
> since it was his birthday.

Enough said... the '72 tour with Stevie Wonder opening was the bomb of all bombs, following the release of Sticky Fingers and Exile. Mick Taylor was in top form, that tour was awesome... my first 2 gigs were in Kansas City and Saint Louis that tour. Still my benchmark for ALL live concerts.

What made that tour so special was the SPEED... with Mick T. on lead those shows just ripped. Jagger and Richards were in high gear to keep up with MT, the whole band in fact was...

Today it's more of a total band, total musicianship, back then it was the "speed" version of the Stones.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 11, 2005 08:09

MSG '98 - second night - One of the only times they played Already Over Me. One of my top five heard live all-time!

Talkin bout the....

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 11, 2005 11:21

Wow, thanks AlwaysStoned, s-asla and DaveG for those accounts of early Stones shows!

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 11, 2005 15:24

St. James Park, Newcastle 23rd June 1982. Good show but were brilliant two days later at Wembley.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home