Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Drummers appreciations of Ringo Starr
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 6, 2019 18:36

Interesting and informative, IMHO, regarding Ringo's drumming technique and song styling. The video with Sina is pretty cool and the shows young people doing Ringo's stuff which gives me hope for rock'n'roll's future. The drum chronology in the last video is great. The videos gave me a new appreciation for Ringo as a drummer. It also made me wonder if there are similar videos showing Charlie Watt's drumming techniques and aspects of his playing on various Stones songs. I am posting this link separate from the Beatles thread as I thought the drummers out there - along with anyone else - would like to see it.

[www.openculture.com]

Re: OT: Drummers appreciations of Ringo Starr
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 6, 2019 18:55

Interesting!
Thanx for posting.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: February 6, 2019 19:09

Love Ringo's drumming !

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 6, 2019 20:28

Ringo is a great drummer.

Can't imagine many of those Beatles classics sounding quite as good without his unique style.
Yes they would still be great, but Ringo added his own "voice" to those tunes.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 6, 2019 20:45

@#$%& the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame but bravo on this job they did:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 6, 2019 21:35

The fact that it's 2019 and this article still needs to be written is ridiculous. Ringo was a great drummer in the Beatles and he was a great drummer post-Beatles.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 6, 2019 22:30

I didn't fully appreciate Ringo until my kid got the Beatles Rock Band video game and I tried playing some of it in Expert mode.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 6, 2019 23:22

Wonderful video. Ringo is phenomenal.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 7, 2019 01:33

Back in the day, I was never a fan of Ringo's drumming, however I later discovered that what I didn't like was the sound, or tone that (I assume) George Martin used in the recordings from about 1966 on. Now I appreciate it.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: February 7, 2019 07:00

RollingFreak
@#$%& the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame but bravo on this job they did:

[www.youtube.com]

Dave Grohl is everywhere when they need someone to explain things.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 7, 2019 07:47

steffialicia

Agree, he's an excellent drummer!

Songwriting isn't his strong suit, as evidenced in this clip:
Ringo Starr writes a song!

... of course that is in jest, but his writing contribution was minimal -- BUT he did write a great one in "Don't Pass Me By"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 07:47 by LeonidP.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: February 7, 2019 10:13

Ringo is a drummer's drummer - they all acknowledge his creativity. The Beatles were very lucky to have him. I am so pleased that at long last he is getting at least some of the recognition he deserves. That mythical quip of Lennon's about him not even being the best drummer in the Beatles has done him no favours at all, the worst thing being that I recently read somewhere that Lennon didn't actually say it.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 7, 2019 14:54

rebelrebel
Ringo is a drummer's drummer - they all acknowledge his creativity. The Beatles were very lucky to have him. I am so pleased that at long last he is getting at least some of the recognition he deserves. That mythical quip of Lennon's about him not even being the best drummer in the Beatles has done him no favours at all, the worst thing being that I recently read somewhere that Lennon didn't actually say it.

In 1983, the British comedian Jasper Carrott made an unhelpful contribution to Beatles legend when he coined a joke that would go down in history: “Ringo isn’t the best drummer in the world,” he quipped. “He isn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles.”
It resonated, to the extent that it entered into Beatles lore as the wisdom of John Lennon. That was eventually debunked by Beatles expert Mark Lewisohn – but the misrepresentation says a great deal about the public’s perception of Ringo Starr: a non-musician who got lucky, a journeyman alongside three musical geniuses.
[www.theguardian.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 15:09 by Deltics.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 7, 2019 15:40

Jasper Carrott- first i've heard of this individual. I knew of that quote about Ringo, though..

my question is, why would he say that, and how did it get attributed to Lennon?

and, reading in wikipedia I see that Jasper Carrott once had a manager named John Starkey..

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 7, 2019 16:40

The quote is hilarious, and bravo to whoever coined it because it really DOES sound like something you can imagine Lennon saying. Obviously its not true and I sorta disagree its done him no favors. 1. because I don't think anyone really believes he's a bad drummers, and if they do they really just don't get it. 2. even if people did think it he's still laughing all the way to the bank about it. Why would he care what anyone thinks of him? He was in the Beatles, thats it. Ends an argument pretty quickly.

Ringo gets by being Ringo. Its hard not to love the guy. He was also IMO the most genuinely nice person in that band, I love when he gets emotional. When he cries about George it makes me cry about George. He physically can't talk about Harry Nilsson because its too upsetting. I adored his close friendships and he just seemed like an all around incredible guy to be around. I'm so happy he's still with us.

He still makes me cry, laugh and smile in this clip. I love this man: [www.youtube.com]

This is also an amazing clip I've never seen: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 16:44 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 7, 2019 16:56

yeah... maybe... Lennon was kinda mean-spirited wasnt he..

>> it really DOES sound like something you can imagine Lennon saying<<

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 7, 2019 17:10

LeonidP
steffialicia

Agree, he's an excellent drummer!

Songwriting isn't his strong suit, as evidenced in this clip:

... of course that is in jest, but his writing contribution was minimal -- BUT he did write a great one in "Don't Pass Me By"

When Ringo introduced "Don't Pass Me By" live, he said "After I wrote this I said 'Look out, Lennon and Mcartney'. Of course as we all know now, they had nothing to worry about."

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 7, 2019 17:57

There was a period of time in the mid-70's through early 80's that whenever there was a track that Ringo played drums are, Jim Keltner was playing with him.

In '71 the two famously played side by side at the Concert for Bangladesh.

When it got to a track like "Hold On" on Ian McLagan's first album, it made me wonder "What in the world does he need Keltner for?"

[www.youtube.com]

So maybe that, and "Pretty" Purdie's wild claims about playing on Beatles tracks [www.quora.com] had something to do with perceptions about Ringo over the years.

Yes, it's great that Ringo is finally getting his due as a drummer

This Stephen Stills song (with CSN vocals!) is my favorite non-Beatles Ringo performance:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-07 17:58 by loog droog.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 7, 2019 18:57

I love Ringo. A couple of great examples of his drumming (among many) are "Ticket To Ride" and "Rain".

That said, he and Ronnie Wood are the luckiest men alive.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 7, 2019 19:26

Whenever someone downplays Ringo's talent as a drummer, my go-to song for them to check out is Pisces Apple Lady by Leon Russell. [www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home