Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ABB out of the US Top 40
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:26

Billboard 200 this week:
41. Rolling Stones, A Bigger Bang: 26,564 (254,594)
187. Rolling Stones, Jump Back: 5,620 (573,157)

Only 3 weeks on the Top 40.

Re: ABB out of the US Top 40
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:28

But still in the TOP 50.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:31

HITS Daily double says it's #37 with 27,883 units sold....?

Date: October 5, 2005 23:31

>>>But still in the TOP 50.

It will be out next week.

Date: October 5, 2005 23:32

>>>HITS Daily double says it's #37 with 27,883 units sold....?

Billboard is the official, check the chart tomorrow.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:37

what's ABB?

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:39

the number of copies sold has no relation to quality, I would not care about the sales

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:45

No surprise. Sadly, rock is dead as a cultural force and crap -- I mean rap -- is the music that's been in vogue since about 1985/86. So, unfortunately, when we turn on our radios, we'll still hear about dysfunctional urban living with gangstas and "ho's".

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:50

No big deal . ABB will sell for years and years and years...one fine Stones disc to own...a classic! Who really cares about top 40 anyway?

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:58

The promotion was just pitiful. If it had been done seriously ABB would have sold significantly more units. But this chance is now gone.
It is always said that the Stones have become some kind of big machinery, a huge corporate group. Too bad I don't see anything of this huge "apparatus" if need be. No matter if the Stones are a very old act, when they release a new studio album after 8 years of abscence I just expect media presence. There is absolutly NO REASONABLE explanation why Virgin failed to promote this album properly.

And btw, it would be a good idea for Mick to introduce BOMH or RJ at concerts with the words "this tune is from our NEW RECORD and is called....". I think most of the ignorant audiences wouldn't even think so far as that there is existing a new album when merely says "this is a new song we do...".
Still, I wouldn't call ABB a failure sales-wise. This goes only for the UK and USA. It did so well in the rest of the world. Huge achievement IMHO.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 6, 2005 00:06

ever thought the fact that EVERYONE knows there will be a special edition for the xmas market has put folks off buying it until then ?

Date: October 6, 2005 00:08

andy js Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> ever thought the fact that EVERYONE knows there
> will be a special edition for the xmas market has
> put folks off buying it until then ?

yeah - that must be it

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 6, 2005 01:51

Hi Georgelicks,

Do you know if the Stones are releasing their concert attendance/grosses to Billboard to include in their Boxscores?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 6, 2005 01:53

Christ, the Hits daily double (as mentioned above) has higher sales & a # 37, I even hoped it might be a bit higher in BB - NOT good and that includes prospects for future RS albums, the creative freedom they've been used to since the mid 60s, & YEAH I too mentioned somewhere I dont get why doesn't Mick mention "This one's from our new album, ABB..." in front of a stadium full of people!

Date: October 6, 2005 02:12

>>>Hi Georgelicks,

Do you know if the Stones are releasing their concert attendance/grosses to Billboard to include in their Boxscores?

No, he didn't release nothing, just like the Licks tour.

>>>No big deal . ABB will sell for years and years and years...one fine Stones disc to own...a classic! Who really cares about top 40 anyway?

The last studio album that sell more than 50 copies each week in US is Tattoo You. I cheked the soundscan charts two weeks ago and B2B scaned 9 units, Steel Wheels 7 units and VL 18 units. The 95% of thier catalog sales this days comes from 7-8 albums: the big 4, ABB, 40 Licks, Jump Back and other compilations.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 6, 2005 02:25

in holland its still number 1 smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: October 6, 2005 02:28

well that settles it - let's all move to Holland. Dutch treat.

Date: October 6, 2005 02:39

Georgelicks this gets more depressing with each post...I need a new heart.....
Question: Any idea (sigh, like it even matters) why Dailey Double had a reasonably higher position (#37) & weekly total (1500 more copies tallied)? Are they not both based on soundscan, same Tuesday-to-monday time frame?
And imagine, the RS play 2 cuts from VL every night & a long one (OOC) from B2B - & w/ possible exception of the Worst (or any Keith ballad, even YGTS in '99), all are enthusiastically received by tens of thousands - yet 9, or 18 bother to check out the source albums?? For that matter, Do the same folks who bought 40 Licks in 2002-03 (2.6 mil) ALSO buy Jump Back (over a year on the top 200!!!)? (that one's I suppose a rhetorical question).
And why am I so upset? (dont answer that one)

Date: October 6, 2005 03:29

>>>Question: Any idea (sigh, like it even matters) why Dailey Double had a reasonably higher position (#37) & weekly total (1500 more copies tallied)? Are they not both based on soundscan, same Tuesday-to-monday time frame?

As you see, their counts are pretty similar. You'll see the 1,500 missing copies on next week chart.

>>>Do the same folks who bought 40 Licks in 2002-03 (2.6 mil) ALSO buy Jump Back (over a year on the top 200!!!)?

Who knows, Jump Back will be a catalog seller for years due low price, that's the reason of its 55 weeks on chart, the longest stay since the 58 weeks of Tattoo You.

Date: October 6, 2005 05:32

>>> in holland its still number 1

It's #12, down from #3.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 6, 2005 05:39

=======ever thought the fact that EVERYONE knows there will be a special edition for the xmas market has put folks off buying it until then ?=====

What will be in the special edition? An accompanying DVD of song videos and interviews?

Yep, they will soak me again if they do.

George licks, will a special edition be added to the sales of the current cd or tracked differently as a seperate unit?

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Date: October 6, 2005 06:02

>>George licks, will a special edition be added to the sales of the current cd or tracked differently as a seperate unit?

It will be added to the regular CD, that's why 50 Cent jumped back to #2 four weeks ago.
I doubt that a new edition will affect the sales, the christmas season is very competitive and you need to sell close to 100k to be in the Top 40.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 6, 2005 06:04

Thanks, George.

Anyway, I will probably be buying it again if it is accompanied with a DVD....that being if it is like Clapton's Sessions for Robert J CD/DVD release.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 9, 2005 08:04

So I guess 'A Bigger Bang' is going to be their worst-selling studio album in almost 40 years...unbelievable.

Everyone I know who's heard it (about 20 people) has raved about it...even people who aren't big Rolling Stones fans at all. They tell me they play it every day in the car and at work-- sometimes twice.

I DO hope there will be a special edition so that there may be a chance at some point of it being certified platinum. For THIS album not to achieve platinum status would be a disgrace.

The Charlottesville show was packed to the gills with a huge percentage of the audience extremely young...and the quite a few with whom I spoke with were HUGE fans who knew as much about them as I did...and they were all under about 23-years-old. Some had been to several shows already. I guess the audience is there for the album, but the youngsters illegally download it onto their iPods.

As for promotion...I was in a store the other day with a copy of Q Magazine with the Stones on the cover, and a woman behind me said, "OH!! I just LOVE that band...they're my favorite!" And I said, "What do you think about their new album?" and she said, "They have a new album?" Even some people at the show that I talked to were unaware that there was a new album. Hopefully some of the 50,000 at the show will pick up a copy...Mick did say, "This is a new one from 'A Bigger Bang'" before a smoking version of "Rough Justice," and the crowd was really getting into the choruses of "Oh No Not You Again."

It's time to say goodbye to financially-strapped Virgin. After seeing the Charlotteville show, and how amazing Mick AND Keith look and sound (they look, sound and move better now than in 1997! Ronnie's at a creative peak, Charlie's spot-on...it's unbelievable... and when Mick's shirt blew open during "Satisfaction," he had the same exact body as many of the shirtless 19-year-old guys attending the show....astonishing. And Keith looks better than ever), I really can easily see them touring for 10 or 15 more years...they've picked up a lot of really young fans who are fanatical about them so the audience is there...they just need a record company that knows what it's doing. Anyone should be able to sell a perfect diamond. 'A Bigger Bang' is a perfect diamond and they couldn't sell it. They need some new blood for the next 4 or 5 studio albums.

VIRGIN...YOU'RE FIRED!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-10 03:34 by Jack Knife.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 9, 2005 11:23

A bigger bang no.6 in Germany, now ( october 10th)

1----1-----4----6

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 9, 2005 16:43

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what's ABB?

Bon Jovi's new hit album.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 10, 2005 03:37

Does anyone know if there will be another single released from 'A Bigger Bang'?
Does anyone know if there really is going to be a "Special Edition" of the album?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 10, 2005 04:06

The next single is going to be Rain Fall Down.

I've heard that there will be a "special edition" version of the album in December. But I have no evidence to back this up. I'd guess you'd call it a rumor at this point.

Date: October 10, 2005 06:11

When I saw the 2 Fenway shows in august - a couple weeks prior to ABB's release - the Stones did 4 tracks from the album & an unrecorded cover. Good to hear Mick is now mentioning the album title (as opposed to "We're gonna do a new one...") but after the album's release I do think they should be doing 4 - 6 tracks every night (never just 3). Unless there's a PPV or other televised exposure, nothing else will sell the album except the Stones promoting it live.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home