Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 22
Re: Keith Richards - Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary Edition
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2019 07:01

retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
keithsman
Bashlets
I know we all have different opinions but If CROSSEYED HEART is a snooze fest then that’s a sleep I really love. LOL

I know, that is the sweetest snooze ever, don't get swayed by jealous posters, Crosseyed Heart is without doubt Keith's master piece of the later era Stones, it was a return to form and undoubtedly the best solo album by a Stone, it's better each time we go back to it, and that was the real test, it's a keeper, i put it up there with Tattoo You, would have made a fine Stones album with Mick on vocals too, Keith obviously forced to save his best stuff for himself.

thumbs up

Agree with almost all, though am glad it is turned out a Keith solo album vs. a Stones album...having Mick invlolved might have tarnished the quality.
Not a knock on Mick
, but some things are meant to be the way they're meant to be, and in this case it's 100% Keith.

"---having Mick involved might have tarnished the quality. Not a knock on Mick,..."

Good one!

Yeah, Mick's the weak link obviously. With a better singer, the Stones would not have played the second fiddle to the Beatles, they could have been the No. 1 band of all time...

Clearly you're misinterpreting my words and are reading in to it to fit some agenda you have against those who like Keith solo albums.
The fact is, this was a Keith solo album 100% through and through, and any input from Mick would have negated that. Crosseyed Heart has nothing to do with Mick or the Stones and thankfully so imo - it's really that simple.

Just as with Mick's solo albums...they are what they are because there's no Keith on them. Had Keith been involved would they have been better? Maybe. Or worse? Maybe not.
Really not sure, but if Keith had been involved they would have ended up as Stones albums - not solo albums which is what we're talking about here.

Again, not a knock on Mick - he's a great singer and probably the best front man ever when with the Rolling Stones.
But to have him all over Crosseyed Heart would have been a mistake imo - it was meant to be a Keith solo album.

Some agenda? No, I just found it funny to read that "any input from Mick" would tarnish something. It would have sounded different, sure, but tarnished?

And just for the record: CH is not my favourite Keith solo album just like Goddess is not my favourite Jagger solo album. Imo both suffer from too few truly memorable songs, and while both albums offer some interesting & promising sounds, these sounds rarely transform into memorable songs, no wonder when the song material to start with is too weak to warrant or justify a full album.

With that in mind - no, I don't think Keith's involvement could have rescued Mick's Goddess and vice versa CH.

At the same time, I tremendously enjoy the Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary bonus tracks. Maybe that'll give you some satisfaction after all!

That's funny - I could have sworn I used the word tainted! Tarnished was a bit harsh I suppose...

At any rate, for you to conclude from my original statement that:

"Mick's the weak link obviously. With a better singer, the Stones would not have played the second fiddle to the Beatles, they could have been the No. 1 band of all time..."

was surely off the mark and misinterpreted. I know it was sarcasm, but it really was nowhere near what I was thinking. It was uncalled for, and maybe an apology is necessary! winking smiley JK....

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 30, 2019 08:45

Make no mistake-when I say negative shit about Keith that’s inside stuff for the board and hardcore fans to digest.
In real life I’ve told guitar players right to their face that Keith Richards is the best rock and roll guitar player that ever lived-the stammering and but but Hendrix,Page and and and ..always makes me laugh.
I always say the same thing - what about the song? What about the groove.are you playing a song or just hitting a bunch of notes and making everyone say wow!?

He makes it look so easy that it fools you but have you ever heard anyone actually play a guitar like Keith.you end up with the Black Crowes or something and thinking “great,nice try kid”

With the tour coming up I’ve been listening to alot of boots,live and studio which is the only Stones I listen to anyway as well as Main Offender and Talk is Cheap.they are better than I remember.
Struggle has been in my head,the way he just nails that opening,da da dant da and then lets it hang for just the right second.man that’s timing,that’s guitar playing.
I’m gonna grab this set and circle back to cross eyed heart as well,I only gave it a quick listen and it didn’t really click the first time.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 30, 2019 08:50

Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
keithsman
Bashlets
I know we all have different opinions but If CROSSEYED HEART is a snooze fest then that’s a sleep I really love. LOL

I know, that is the sweetest snooze ever, don't get swayed by jealous posters, Crosseyed Heart is without doubt Keith's master piece of the later era Stones, it was a return to form and undoubtedly the best solo album by a Stone, it's better each time we go back to it, and that was the real test, it's a keeper, i put it up there with Tattoo You, would have made a fine Stones album with Mick on vocals too, Keith obviously forced to save his best stuff for himself.

thumbs up

Agree with almost all, though am glad it is turned out a Keith solo album vs. a Stones album...having Mick invlolved might have tarnished the quality.
Not a knock on Mick
, but some things are meant to be the way they're meant to be, and in this case it's 100% Keith.

"---having Mick involved might have tarnished the quality. Not a knock on Mick,..."

Good one!

Yeah, Mick's the weak link obviously. With a better singer, the Stones would not have played the second fiddle to the Beatles, they could have been the No. 1 band of all time...

Clearly you're misinterpreting my words and are reading in to it to fit some agenda you have against those who like Keith solo albums.
The fact is, this was a Keith solo album 100% through and through, and any input from Mick would have negated that. Crosseyed Heart has nothing to do with Mick or the Stones and thankfully so imo - it's really that simple.

Just as with Mick's solo albums...they are what they are because there's no Keith on them. Had Keith been involved would they have been better? Maybe. Or worse? Maybe not.
Really not sure, but if Keith had been involved they would have ended up as Stones albums - not solo albums which is what we're talking about here.

Again, not a knock on Mick - he's a great singer and probably the best front man ever when with the Rolling Stones.
But to have him all over Crosseyed Heart would have been a mistake imo - it was meant to be a Keith solo album.

Some agenda? No, I just found it funny to read that "any input from Mick" would tarnish something. It would have sounded different, sure, but tarnished?

And just for the record: CH is not my favourite Keith solo album just like Goddess is not my favourite Jagger solo album. Imo both suffer from too few truly memorable songs, and while both albums offer some interesting & promising sounds, these sounds rarely transform into memorable songs, no wonder when the song material to start with is too weak to warrant or justify a full album.

With that in mind - no, I don't think Keith's involvement could have rescued Mick's Goddess and vice versa CH.

At the same time, I tremendously enjoy the Talk Is Cheap 30th Anniversary bonus tracks. Maybe that'll give you some satisfaction after all!

That's funny - I could have sworn I used the word tainted! Tarnished was a bit harsh I suppose...

"Mick's the weak link obviously. With a better singer, the Stones would not have played the second fiddle to the Beatles, they could have been the No. 1 band of all time..."

was surely off the mark and misinterpreted. I know it was sarcasm, but it really was nowhere near what I was thinking. It was uncalled for, and maybe an apology is necessary! winking smiley JK....

Maybe... Yeah maybe my sarcasm was a bit harsh... But our keithsman let me ride... Now see what happens when he does not intervene!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 30, 2019 09:36

retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball
keithsman
Bashlets

thumbs up

Not a knock on Mick

Good one!

Maybe... Yeah maybe my sarcasm was a bit harsh... But our keithsman let me ride... Now see what happens when he does not intervene!

How did you and Lem turn out to be good guys confused smiley winking smiley

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 30, 2019 09:37

The Guests on Talk Is Cheap winking smiley

Bernie Worell

Bootsy Collins

Joey Spampinato

Johnnie Johnson

Maceo Parker

Michael Doucet

Patti Scialfa

Stanley Buckwheat Dural

Willie Mitchell ( Memphis Horns )

I've not been able to track Sam Butler though...

HMN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2019 09:52

Nice work Pascal …. you take a bow ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: March 30, 2019 10:21

Anyone received their deluxe signed box set? Got a mail that delivery is delayed by 2 weeks!!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 30, 2019 11:47

I got the same email, didn't notice it said 2 weeks until shipping. But the "we're sorry" 15% coupon does expire in 2 weeks. Doesn't add up to me since we saw video of Keith with a box and him signing the photos. Plus the last 5 sets are in hotels on display? Hmm.

Date: March 30, 2019 11:50

Here's the email I got. Hopefully the boxes will be shipped soon.

Thank you for your purchase of the Talk Is Cheap (Super Deluxe Box Set – Signed Edition). We’re working diligently to get your order out to you as soon as possible, but it will arrive later than originally anticipated. Please be on the lookout for ashipping confirmation with delivery details.

As a thank you for your order, and appreciation for your patience, here is a coupon code worth 15% off the standard price of Apparel and Accessories products in the
KeithRichards Store, valid through April 14, 2019.

Posted by: engerling23 ()
Date: March 30, 2019 12:32

They refunded the shipping costs of my Signed Deluxe as an apology for the delay.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: March 30, 2019 14:16

Got the same email.
Maybe the autopenmachine is broken.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 30, 2019 14:43

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 30, 2019 16:49

Honestman
The Guests on Talk Is Cheap winking smiley

Bernie Worell

Bootsy Collins

Joey Spampinato

Johnnie Johnson

Maceo Parker

Michael Doucet

Patti Scialfa

Stanley Buckwheat Dural

Willie Mitchell ( Memphis Horns )

Sam Butler

Say what you will about Keef but he never went for the easy road with a bunch of "star" guest musicians. I'm sure record execs suggested big names (Nile Rogers for example?) but our fav axeman picked guys he liked, guys with a huge background not a bunch of top-10 singles.

Record exec sweating in his 2000$ suit : "well Keef for your album we thought you could work with Nile Rogers. He did great things for David Bowie in 84 for his "Let's Dance" album..."

Keef: "The guy who churned out crap disco songs? F&ck you, man! I want Maceo and Johnny Johnson!!"

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 30, 2019 17:03

Keef seems to approach things more like he's putting a band together, and less like he's making a record.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 30, 2019 17:21

Wtf...why is Mark On Me faded in? Where´s the intro riff?
It´s bootlegged, so there is one.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 30, 2019 17:29

bye bye johnny

[www.youtube.com]

April Fools Day !!
Jeroen

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: March 30, 2019 18:25

BLUS JAM and SLIM are great jams, great pure session sound.
MARK ON ME with those trumpets and BRUTE FORCE are crap.
What is that hissing in MY BABE ? couldn´t it be filtered out ?
Remastering failed, not even the channeles were balanced sound and volume wise.
Why MNM extended version not included here , why no alternate takes of the offical tracks ? there is enough space left on the bonus CD
Booklet is disappointing, no lyrics, no so far unknown informations
I am an absolute Keith man but this TALK IS CHEAP

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 30, 2019 19:27

glimmertwin1
slewan
Is it just me? I'm listening to the album now and it's sounds quite different compared to the original release – or maybe rather my memories of the original relase. I can't compare the two versions right now (since the old version is in my other flat). Can anyone comment on differences?

Yes it sounds quite different -

here's the bonus disk:

[open.spotify.com]

Best outtakes since Foxes in the Boxes smiling bouncing smiley

That's interesting. In what way does it sound different? Did they change the late 80s sound of the original?

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: March 30, 2019 20:58

My deluxe CD just arrived!!! I am greatly satisfied with the material!!! What a genius!!!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 30, 2019 22:31

matxil
glimmertwin1
slewan
Is it just me? I'm listening to the album now and it's sounds quite different compared to the original release – or maybe rather my memories of the original relase. I can't compare the two versions right now (since the old version is in my other flat). Can anyone comment on differences?

Yes it sounds quite different -

here's the bonus disk:

[open.spotify.com]

Best outtakes since Foxes in the Boxes smiling bouncing smiley

That's interesting. In what way does it sound different? Did they change the late 80s sound of the original?

well, as I said before I can compare the old and the new mix right now. Thus I depend on my memory. To my ears the instruments on the new mix are much more seperated and I also think the changed the relative loundness of the instruments. Thus some instruments that used to be more in the background have moved more to the foreground. (but I can be wrong – it's hnot easy to compare memories to music you're hearing right now)

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 30, 2019 23:25

Dorn
BLUS JAM and SLIM are great jams, great pure session sound.
MARK ON ME with those trumpets and BRUTE FORCE are crap.
What is that hissing in MY BABE ? couldn´t it be filtered out ?
Remastering failed, not even the channeles were balanced sound and volume wise.
Why MNM extended version not included here , why no alternate takes of the offical tracks ? there is enough space left on the bonus CD
Booklet is disappointing, no lyrics, no so far unknown informations
I am an absolute Keith man but this TALK IS CHEAP

Well it sounds great to me, perhaps you would find Ronnie's new set lists book better value for money.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: March 30, 2019 23:37

excuse me but what kind of stupid comment is this ?
i am not talking about money, i am talking about quality. the deluxe version was a chance to really pop up this 30 year old recordings - but they messed it up. It was also a chance to give the die hard fans something they were looking / hoping for after the announcement of the anniversary release. i could have bought the super deluxe version but most likely i would have been even more disapointed

Posted by: SirMuddy ()
Date: March 30, 2019 23:49

Hey Dorn, the sound you wanna filtered on My Babe is Steve Jordan's drums brushes cool smiley

Posted by: rara ()
Date: March 30, 2019 23:58

frankotero
I got the same email, didn't notice it said 2 weeks until shipping. But the "we're sorry" 15% coupon does expire in 2 weeks. Doesn't add up to me since we saw video of Keith with a box and him signing the photos. Plus the last 5 sets are in hotels on display? Hmm.

The 5 sets in the hotels are regular super deluxe boxes and not signed super deluxe ones.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 31, 2019 00:00

Love Johnnie on the bonus disc. Made me break out my "Johnnie Be Back" CD.

Date: March 31, 2019 00:36

rara, are you saying he hasn't finished signing the photos for the super deluxe editions? Would be nice to have clarification.

Posted by: rara ()
Date: March 31, 2019 01:07

frankotero
rara, are you saying he hasn't finished signing the photos for the super deluxe editions? Would be nice to have clarification.

I suppose he finished signing the photos, but you can buy the super deluxe box either signed ($749) or unsigned ($599). All I'm saying is that the ones that are displayed in the hotels are unsigned boxes (I've seen two of them already).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-31 01:07 by rara.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 31, 2019 10:09

i bought the 2 disc version. sounds great! i still have my "keith in the can" version somewhere i think

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 31, 2019 12:21

I love it; I've got it on my new Bluesound Vault. I'm looking forward to listening to it on the KEF speakers that I intend to buy over the next few days.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: March 31, 2019 14:10

They could/should have added the live show + outtakes smiling smiley.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home