Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pollstar Year End Top 100 Tours
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 19, 2018 21:03

Ed Sheeran had the highest gross and most tickets sold in Pollstar's 30 year history.

[www.pollstar.com]

Stones were at # 10.

Top 100 - [www.pollstar.com]

Re: Pollstar Year End Top 100 Tours
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 19, 2018 21:35

bye bye johnny

Stones were at # 10.

Stones still in the Top-10 after 56 years .... thumbs up

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 19, 2018 21:49

I can't believe how popular Ed Sheeran is! I know who he is but I honestly don't think I know any of his songs.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 19, 2018 22:13

Irix
bye bye johnny

Stones were at # 10.

Stones still in the Top-10 after 56 years .... thumbs up
With literally a fraction (.15) of the number of shows as Sheeran.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 19, 2018 22:56

and only McCartney played fewer shows than the Stones (11 vs. 14)

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 19, 2018 23:17

DGA35
I can't believe how popular Ed Sheeran is! I know who he is but I honestly don't think I know any of his songs.

Ask my 14 year-old granddaughter and her friends. They went to his Seattle show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 19, 2018 23:55

14 year-old

YEP there's the market …. similar to block-buster movies....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 20, 2018 08:45

DGA35

Don’t really know his music either but the whole thing is really impressive.He’s doing stadiums without a backing band and his average ticket price is about $88,yet if his tour goes another year it will break the U2 record.
The other thing I noticed was his manager saying they don’t sell meet and greets or vip tickets “those go to contest winners and disadvantaged kids”-good to see someone do it the right way and come out a winner.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 20, 2018 12:31

Rockman
14 year-old

YEP there's the market …. similar to block-buster movies....

Now now Rocky...I like a good blockbuster at 64 years of AGE!

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2018 12:39

….. YEAH Rod ??? ….. geeeeez all that editing ... CGI .. noise puts me inta ga-ga land ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 20, 2018 14:09

Sheeran had an average of 91,707 tickets sold per show, that is pretty phenomenal!

Date: December 20, 2018 15:57

DGA35
I cant quite get it either. He's not that good, not that flash, not that handsome, so I don;t know what it is. I want to say 'well it s a good thing, a guy with a guitar selling it out' but I dont dig him at all.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 20, 2018 16:02

Palace Revolution 2000
DGA35
I cant quite get it either. He's not that good, not that flash, not that handsome, so I don;t know what it is. I want to say 'well it s a good thing, a guy with a guitar selling it out' but I dont dig him at all.

Totally agree with all of this. Add in the Charlie quote about him being one of his favorite guest performers and it bewilders me even more. Good on him, though.
Do like his tatts..

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 20, 2018 16:02

Ket
Sheeran had an average of 91,707 tickets sold per show, that is pretty phenomenal!

especially compared to the Stones with only 57,76 tickets sold per show (I must have missed some of their club gigs…)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2018 18:38

lem motlow
DGA35

Don’t really know his music either but the whole thing is really impressive.He’s doing stadiums without a backing band and his average ticket price is about $88,yet if his tour goes another year it will break the U2 record.
The other thing I noticed was his manager saying they don’t sell meet and greets or vip tickets “those go to contest winners and disadvantaged kids”-good to see someone do it the right way and come out a winner.

I don't know much about him or his music either other than he's very popular (and he guested with the Stones somehwere), but hats off to him for doing the right thing.
And at an average price of $88/ticket, he deserves some respect in this day and age of oldies/nostalgia acts charging way more than that on average.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 20, 2018 20:04

these types of polls mean nothing.

younger bands will do more shows on tour than oldies.

so they should be compared to all bands from their own younger days.

higher attendances cannot be compared with bands who have lower attendances as some bands play to smaller venues and all venues have capacity limits.

and gross income from tours mean nothing if you dont consider inflation.

its obvious that with inflation future tours will tend to outsell past tours which may be on a larger scale.

how about a poll of the biggest selling artist regarding total tickets sold in their entire career.

always tried to google this with no luck, i think the stones have sold around 40 million. over 2000 concerts with average attendance around the 20,000 mark, i may be wrong can anyone confirm what conclusions they have.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 21, 2018 07:16

buttons67
these types of polls mean nothing.

younger bands will do more shows on tour than oldies.

so they should be compared to all bands from their own younger days.

higher attendances cannot be compared with bands who have lower attendances as some bands play to smaller venues and all venues have capacity limits.

and gross income from tours mean nothing if you dont consider inflation.

its obvious that with inflation future tours will tend to outsell past tours which may be on a larger scale.

how about a poll of the biggest selling artist regarding total tickets sold in their entire career.

always tried to google this with no luck, i think the stones have sold around 40 million. over 2000 concerts with average attendance around the 20,000 mark, i may be wrong can anyone confirm what conclusions they have.

It's not a poll, it's just facts, not opinion.

It's not comparisons, other than historical aspects. U2 are a band, not a solo artist, and how they eclipsed the Stones ABB tour will probably never be matched.

"higher attendances cannot be compared with bands who have lower attendances as some bands play to smaller venues and all venues have capacity limits."

Those bands play to where they are suited to meet demand. Your view is totally invalid.

Gross income for tours is relevant - because it is at the time.

Need some sour cheese with your sour wine?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 21, 2018 07:22

Hairball
lem motlow
DGA35

I don't know much about him or his music either other than he's very popular (and he guested with the Stones somehwere), but hats off to him for doing the right thing.
And at an average price of $88/ticket, he deserves some respect in this day and age of oldies/nostalgia acts charging way more than that on average.

My wife's seen him a couple of times but I haven't been interested...maybe she's on to something?!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 21, 2018 08:58

treaclefingers
Hairball
lem motlow
DGA35

My wife's seen him a couple of times but I haven't been interested...maybe she's on to something?!

Did she see Ed in Vancouver? I don't recall if he played BC Place.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 21, 2018 16:38

The Stones have done well again and not surprising to me with the huge amount of middle aged and older fans they have.
Also the huge price of some of their tix and packages for the Tours, although they have been doing Lucky Dips, and fair play to them for doing that.

Ed Sheeran is a big name and hugely popular to young and older music fans all over the world .
I'm from London and not a fan of his music, but I do appreciate that many people are, and love to see the guy play live.
A mate of mine ,Adam Wedd, got him to play in his band back in 2011 when he was not that well known . I much prefer this song to Eds' stuff.
[youtu.be]

Ed has probably got shedloads of money now and good luck to him for doing so well.thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 21, 2018 23:51

Thinking Out Loud: Marty Diamond Discusses Ed Sheeran’s Phenomenal Career

[www.pollstar.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 22, 2018 23:47

Nice read bbj. smileys with beer

Although not a great fan of Ed and his music , but will take a look at more of his live stuff on youtube.
Will see if I think it is just a backing track that helps make him sound so good to a live audience, or he really has the talent to perform like that on his own in huge stadiums, as opposed to smaller halls or theatres .

He obviously has made a big name for himself with millions of fans around the world, who want to see him play live.
Gotta be in the right place, at the right time, with something that people out there want. He obviously has it.

The Stones will always be in a list of top gross making Tours until they decide to make it 'The Last Time' , but hopefully for them.......and us, that will be for some years to come. thumbs up

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 23, 2018 00:14

bye bye johnny
Ed Sheeran had the highest gross and most tickets sold in Pollstar's 30 year history.

[www.pollstar.com]

Stones were at # 10.

How sad is that! No talent

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 23, 2018 01:39

DGA35
treaclefingers
Hairball
lem motlow
DGA35

Did she see Ed in Vancouver? I don't recall if he played BC Place.

Yes, I can't recall if it was there or GM Place (Rogers Arena)

Date: December 23, 2018 22:39

potus43
bye bye johnny

[www.pollstar.com]

Stones were at # 10.

Your opinion is wrong. Again. As usual.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: December 24, 2018 15:37

potus43
bye bye johnny

[www.pollstar.com]

Stones were at # 10.

Hey miss potus we agree on something Merry Christamas

Date: December 25, 2018 22:08

No talent, eh? What a LOAD of crap!

Go listen to EOMS then, stick yer head in a concrete block of sand!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1180
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home