Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: An in terview with David Lee Roth of VH fame
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 15, 2018 19:21

keefriffhard4life
Ket
A complete baffoon not sure which one is worse Roth or Gene Simmons

I'm willing to bet both of them are much smarter than you give them credit for

as repellant as the concept is, i think gene is a genius. he came up with the whole concept for kiss whilst in college. they went a real long way despite a paucity of decent songs. gene's a trailblazer in the merchandising game.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 15, 2018 20:09

crholmstrom
about the thread title: OMG, you mean there's another one?! haha

That’s funny!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 15, 2018 21:03

Palace Revolution 2000
Hairball
I saw them at US Festival 83 headlining "heavy metal day", and thought they were pretty bad.
Still like some songs from their first few albums though...Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love is prob my favorite, and Eruption was intense back in the day.

As for David Lee Roth, can't help but think of when he slammed the microphone into his face a few years ago during the taping of Jimmy Kimmel....

Roth

"This isn’t the first time Roth has injured himself in a stage accident.
The singer had to cancel his U.S. solo tour in 2003 after smacking himself in the face with a large pole
while attempting a samurai move. Roth needed 21 stitches for that episode".
On the Kimmel set it was such a drag. Because the anticipation had been electric; and then it all went flat in a second, And they had to re-shoot the whoooole thing again. But in the big picture it was actually a cool thing; it just showed how keyed up they were.
Yes - I too thought DLR in his first incarbation after VH was sh*thot. Loved the band and loved the material. Way better than what the brothers did with Tequila hawking idiot.

I had a free ticket to see that taping, but decided against going for one reason or another. They had Hollywood Blvd. closed off in front of the theater where Kimmel is taped with thousands of people, and a special stage was built. Have been to several other free Kimmel tapings for just the musical guests (David Gilmour and ELO), but those were in the back lot of the theater with only about 500 other people. By all accounts, the Van Halen situation was an overcrowded circus/fiasco, and in hindsight I knew I made the right decision to not show up. Would have been funny to see Roth smack himself in the face though! grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2018 05:11

DGA35
keefriff99
Elmo Lewis
Was a pleasure to see them open for the Stones in Orlando 1981
Jeez, I had no damn idea VH ever opened for the Stones. What a show that must have been.

They also opened for them in 78 at the Superdome I believe. Look at the pic posted from Orlando. Band doing their final bows and the crowd with their fists in the air! Not often you'll see that response for an opening act!

Rolling Stones
Van Halen
Doobie Brothers

[www.last.fm]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 16, 2018 06:26

Ted Templeman was the Doobie's producer and also produced Van Halen's first six albums with DLR.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 16, 2018 09:50

One of the last great frontmen if you think about it.after DLR we got Brian Johnson,Axl and that was it. Maybe if Andrew Wood had lived ...but really it just sort of burned out and faded away.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: December 16, 2018 11:11

I used to work for his dad as a kid (washing his cars and dogs)... The irony is that VH is one of my favourite bands and I've never seen them live.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: December 16, 2018 12:13

I had a free ticket to see that taping, but decided against going for one reason or another. They had Hollywood Blvd. closed off in front of the theater where Kimmel is taped with thousands of people, and a special stage was built. Have been to several other free Kimmel tapings for just the musical guests (David Gilmour and ELO), but those were in the back lot of the theater with only about 500 other people. By all accounts, the Van Halen situation was an overcrowded circus/fiasco, and in hindsight I knew I made the right decision to not show up. Would have been funny to see Roth smack himself in the face though! grinning smiley

Well, I went and was nothing but impressed. This my first time at one of these things as I had just moved to LA. My cousin came down from Sacramento and we stayed in the room Janis Joplin died one night and the room Jim Morrison would stay in after recording sessions, the next. The morning of the show was electric as we watched the stage being set up. Extremely Hollywood vibe.

Later in the day, while skulking around the back of the theater and trying to act like we belonged there, we overheard a voice on one of the security guys radio saying the band was getting in the car and would be there in a minute as they were only coming from the Roosevelt Hotel which is the next block down. Sure enough, an SUV comes down the alley, stops in front of the entrance and all four guys pop out. Eddie is already strapped into his guitar and all were smiling in response to our greetings, but silent.

Pretty cool, up close encounter that had us jazzed for the next 3 or 4 hours. Got to listen to a soundcheck as well. The mic/nose smash happened almost immediately, but Dave was so hyped, he didn't seem to notice the gusher of blood. He went backstage to get taped up and we got a pretty groovy couple of minutes of VH jazzy improv. Then Dave came back like a trooper and they nailed it. Had an absolute blast.

Eddie and Alex-

Dave and Wolf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-16 12:40 by shawnriffhard1.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2099
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home