Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

abb one month later
Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: October 4, 2005 22:48

it still is the only cd in my player

Re: abb one month later
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 4, 2005 22:49

just played it...as great as ever....will hold strong with the passage of time....crank and enjoy!!!...best wishes stones nutters

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 4, 2005 23:02

it seems to grow on me like weed ,some tunes could grow , real funny like the lyrics a lot

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 5, 2005 00:26

haven't heard it in a week - no burning desire to either

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: October 5, 2005 01:32

It was the only tape (yeah, I need a CD player) I had in my car for the trip to the concert. I usually bring the whole collection, but ABB is still delivering BIG TIME!!!

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: October 5, 2005 01:37

A BIGGER BANG IS BRILLIANT,KEEP PLAYIN IT OVER AND OVER,THE RECORDIN IS V.GOOD,
THE CD HAS LIVE SOUND,PLAY THE TRACKS IN DIFFRENT ORDER AND YOU HAVE V.GOOD ROCK CD,GOOD LUCK TO THE BOYS,KEEP ON ROCKING.KISH.

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: October 5, 2005 02:22

I still love it, so I went and dug out the last 2 records to see what I was missing, but neither one holds together as a body of work the way ABB does. They both have good moments,but IMHO, the Stones were slacking for those 2 albums and now they got their shit TOGETHER!!

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: October 5, 2005 03:03

And the funny thing is...the song that I thought would get tiresome before the others, Rough Justice, is the one that I am returning to the most.

And my love for LIND is so strong, I can't imagine tiring of it.

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: October 5, 2005 03:07

<<I went and dug out the last 2 records to see what I was missing, but neither one holds together as a body of work the way ABB does. They both have good moments,but IMHO, the Stones were slacking for those 2 albums and now they got their shit TOGETHER!!>>

Can't agree with you there. Voodoo Lounge was clearly the high-water mark for the post-Tattoo Stones. While Voodoo is much less consistent than Bridges or ABB, the volume of stand-alone material is remarkable. I think the Stones themselves would concur; Voodoo still gets a lot of airplay on tour. Ditto with the 2 Grammy Awards and over 2 million in sales.

The public has spoken. ABB has slid faster on the charts than any Stones studio album in their modern catalogue. There are some great sounds and muscianship on ABB, but the songs are themselves unremarkable, arguably marginal.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 5, 2005 03:09

gotta agree with JamesBurton on Voodoo Lounge...great comeback!

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: October 5, 2005 03:16

16 ok songs nothing stands out to me...........so far

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 5, 2005 03:36

a very good solid effort.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: October 5, 2005 05:14

Yep, still play it to death, and love it. ABB is a strong 13-14 songs and 2 duds IMHO. Really think many of these songs will stand up over the course of RnR history. Don't get me wrong, apart from It Wont Take Long, there is not a "classic" in the true sense of the word, but there are simply wonderful songs.

Laugh I Nearly Died IS superb, Oh No Not You Again, and for me Dangerous Beauty, are real high quality rockers and so forth.

I will have no hesitation in playing this often (and I can't say the same about Bridges or Voodoo, both of which haven't come out of the rack in years APART from once each about 3 weeks ago - for 'comparison's sake").

Now, whilst I DO play it to death, I have found other CDs recently that I LOVE as much....Black Rebel's "Howl" - I hear so much of Led Zep III (side 2) in this..., hate to say but James Blunt's "Back to Bedlam" and Dylan's No Direction Home Bootleg Series 7 are all fantastic collections of varying music.

Blunt's in particular surprises me. I bought it JUST to find out what it was that kept ABB from going #1 in the UK and was surprised to hear an hearthachingly beautiful collection of songs. Marvelous record.

Rgds
Rod

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: October 5, 2005 07:54

a classic.

john scialfa

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 5, 2005 13:08

Well said, James Burton.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 5, 2005 13:37

It's growing on me all the time, I'm beginning to see thngs/hear things/appreciate things that weren't immediately apparent at first listen - or first few listenings perhaps. I'm retaining an open verdict on how it'll strike me in 10, 20 or more years time. Ask me THEN. I think it will stand up very well over time however.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: October 5, 2005 16:52

i loved it from the very first time - and i am still loving it!

Date: October 5, 2005 17:10

agree with jamesburton, sound musicianship but unremarkable songs by and lardge

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: October 5, 2005 23:47

Still finding things in there!

Growing bigger and bigger everyday!

Soon enough it will blast!

Just love this record!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 6, 2005 01:29

JamesBurton Wrote:

>
> The public has spoken. ABB has slid faster on the
> charts than any Stones studio album in their
> modern catalogue. There are some great sounds and
> muscianship on ABB, but the songs are themselves
> unremarkable, arguably marginal.

I guess that poor promotion took an important role in the disappointing sales in UK and USA. That being said, I really love the record from start to finish, but for instance some friends of mine noticed the lack of a real big hit in it. I personally don't give a pence about it, but I must admit that's true.

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 6, 2005 15:45

Due to personal reasons of no common interest, I obtained my vinyl ABB rather late, and I have only slowly arrived at about 20 listenings. For me, that means it is early days yet.

What the market says, is of course of importance. What will be the view of "posterity", it is impossible to state without doubt. - My personal view so far seems to be that aBB promises to be good enough and have staying power strong enough to signal another peak in the band's musical career. A peak possibly greater than any peak since the most universally agreed peak. An objection raised has been less innovation for aBB than for certain albums of the past. [I will add that I sometimes wonder whether the strong and compelling identity of the band tends to obscure innovation there might be, which then would not be discovered and recognized, and which the band in that case does not receive its deserved credit for.] A counter objection could, with the situation of rock music of later years, be the importance by the seemingly grand achievement of a major rock act of making this inspired album at this moment in time. Let the aggreeing part of us be the "spread by mouth"-recommenders of this album. I sincerely hope that they, that is the band, liked making it, that Mick and Keith found musical enjoyment with working out the songs together anew, and that, with all that they have achieved in the past, recognition by e.g. future handbooks of rock for later career album material might be inspiration good enough for the band to go on being creative. It is from now on that the possibility still remains. Then it does not matter even if quite a few fans might be prejudiced by the weight of earlier releases, interwoven with their own formative personal experiences. ( To a certain extent, something of this with a parallell in what I have seen said from critiqual surveys about later Charles Dickens novels, many, many of which it is my bloody shame not to have read.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-08 14:24 by Witness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2304
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home