Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Todd Rundgren
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: December 4, 2018 19:47

An acquired taste I know but he is playing a rare European tour, including Hammersmith on April 6th. Fanclub presales start tomorrow @ 0900 GMT, Live Nation presale on Thursday 0900 and tickets go on general sale on Friday, same time.

Full dates here [www.todd-rundgren.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-04 19:47 by johnnythunders.

Re: OT - Todd Rundgren
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 4, 2018 20:04

Also playing Town Hall in NYC in April. Be prepared for a political lecture though. [www.ticketmaster.com]

Date: December 4, 2018 21:00

bleedingman
Also playing Town Hall in NYC in April. Be prepared for a political lecture though. [www.ticketmaster.com]

Fine by me - am also expecting some reading from his autobiography, which I pray will be more interesting than when Pete Townshend did it

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 5, 2018 09:57

Looks like Todd is going to make the final cut for the hall of fame (along with the Cure!!!!). Much deserved. Todd certainly cast a giant shadow in the 1970s with both his records & records that he produced for others.

Date: December 5, 2018 13:21

London pre-sale this morning a total joke - I had 4 browers going for an hour and did not even get on the site (yes, T*ck*tm*st*r)

Think I was out-botted

Did anyone try and do better than me ?

Date: December 8, 2018 14:01

johnnythunders
London pre-sale this morning a total joke - I had 4 browers going for an hour and did not even get on the site (yes, T*ck*tm*st*r)

Think I was out-botted

Did anyone try and do better than me ?

Interesting footnote. I found a message on the Rundgren FB Page from someone who had rung the Hammersmith Apollo box office, got straight through and bought her tickets over the phone from a nice and helpful human being.

So at 0800 on Thursday morning I rang the number listed on their website and by 0810 I had bought a row of 5 Front Stalls tickets at “face Value” (usual daft booking fees still apply)

Talking to someone who could tell you where the best tickets were to be found was so much easier than the usual online Ticketmaster nonsense...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 8, 2018 14:38

I like his Tiny Demons track. (I heard in Miami Vice last year)

I tried getting into the Athything/Something (?) album - as one review said 'it's kind of annoying'

Date: December 8, 2018 14:53

todd is a very underrated genius

Date: December 8, 2018 20:14

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: December 9, 2018 21:29

keefriffhard4life
todd is a very underrated genius
Agree. A mensa. In 1980 he designed the 1st. color graphics tablet. In 1981 he licensed it to apple. Does alot of tech stuff in addition to writing performing producing etc. Got my tix for town hall!!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 9, 2018 22:17

He has some great videos on YouTube live from Darryl’s house.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 9, 2018 22:55

Why do guys like Rundgren, David Crosby, Graham Nash , Neil Young, Springsteen insist on littering their shows with their political rants ?

Does it ever occur to them that a lot of their audience could care less ?

I don't know about anyone else, but I go to shows to ESCAPE politics......
give it a rest guys. The 60's are over....stick to the music and shaddap.

Date: December 9, 2018 23:47

bob r
Why do guys like Rundgren, David Crosby, Graham Nash , Neil Young, Springsteen insist on littering their shows with their political rants ?

I agree. Rundgren actually said he doesn't want Trump voters at his shows.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: December 10, 2018 01:58

bob r

yeah-there ain't no gloom & doom-don't gotta get a grip-england ain't lost-no fightin in the streets-no sweet neocons-don't gimmee shelter-ain't on no highwire-SOMEBODY always gets what he wants-Stones toronto 2005-Get Up Standup-check it out.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 10, 2018 02:45

bleedingman
bob r

Not quite as open minded or tolorent as he claims to be , I reckon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-10 02:46 by virgil.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 10, 2018 03:29

bob r

Let's add Ted Nugent and Kid Rock to that list.

Date: December 10, 2018 06:10

custom55
bob r

Let's add Ted Nugent and Kid Rock to that list.

ted sometimes says very little in concert about politics

Date: December 10, 2018 14:59

I have never been quite sure what my opinion on Todd is. Obviously an insane talent. It's that radical style hopping that dragged him down IMO.
When I was in NYC there was a big part of friends of mine who were big fusion/jazz fans; despised rockn roll. Loved Stevie Wonder of course, and also Todd, and the two double albums. That is where I really learned about him.
For some reason I always loved the 'Initiation" album the most. A record that lost all bottom end because Todd tried fitting so much time into the vynil grooves, that he lost all Bass. Plus you couldn't walk fast in the room otherwise the needle skipped.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 10, 2018 15:01

Todd is Godd.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 10, 2018 15:09

bleedingman
bob r

While I'm not a fan of it happening at concerts, I don't mind it. Like I'd prefer it not be there, but if they feel they have to say something, fine. I'm not impressed, but they'll get back to the music soon. I'm more shocked at people who get SO riled up that it bothers them. The people that are like "he's trying to change my politics!" Its like "dude, its his show. Let him say his thing then you'll hear Born To Run. Its not that important." I get wanting to escape but I'm more surprised by the people that are so offended that they need to say something than the audience actually doing something.

As for Rundgren saying that, good. He's right. I'm sorry, we had the time where it was like "let everyone be, we'll get through this." Its been two years, and they are still as vicious as ever, Trump and his supporters. At this point, @#$%& em. They want a divide? I'm tired of being the "good side" that just lets them talk about it and we do nothing. At this point, no, don't come to my @#$%& show. I'm glad some artists are saying it. If you're that stupid we really have reached the point where I don't want you around me. Two years ago I would have felt different. And hey, I still pay for a Nugent concert. Its a good show. And if he rants about pro-Trump, I stand there, smile, and wait for Cat Scratch Fever. I'll laugh about it later. I'm entertained by the stupidity. But I'm still gonna pay him. I'm biased but if you still have something to offer me I'm not gonna hold it against you. It goes completely both ways. If you hate Ted cause of his politics I think you're as stupid as Trump voters.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 10, 2018 15:15

Haven't seen him since he was on the bill at Knebworth in '76 grinning smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 10, 2018 16:12

Recent setlists have been more fan-friendly than in the past (there's been times when a casual fan wouldn't have recognized a single song until the encore), but in my own personal experience, I've found him to be a very uneven live performer. Last time I saw him, in 2005, I think, he had Joe Jackson opening for him, and I far preferred Joe's set to Todd's.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-10 16:13 by tatters.

Date: December 11, 2018 20:35

One thing, independent from his albums or material - I love his voice; reedy tenor voice.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 12, 2018 15:07

Palace Revolution 2000
..., and the two double albums. That is where I really learned about him.
For some reason I always loved the 'Initiation" album the most.

Can you point out one or two more albums? I only checked him out briefly way way back in the Utopia days (there was a bit of a hype about him) but was slightly underwhelmed back then.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 13, 2018 17:34

Todd didn't make the RoR HoF this year....

[www.yahoo.com]

Date: December 13, 2018 17:58

doitywoik
Palace Revolution 2000

Can you point out one or two more albums? I only checked him out briefly way way back in the Utopia days (there was a bit of a hype about him) but was slightly underwhelmed back then.

"A Wizard A True Star" and "Something/Anything" are those two doubles. They are both pretty good. I like "Hermit of Mink Hollow" too. And the Live Utopia wasn't bad. Gotta love the Utopia theme.
But 'Initiation", while very over the top, has some great songs like 'Real Man', 'Death of Rockn Roll', 'Initiation','Fair Warning'.
I hear some of the newer stuff is supposed to be good.
Just saw this morning who made the RnR HOF. Todd, MC5, Kraftwerk - some very influential acts did not make it. But Def Leppard did. This is such a joke. Def Leppard strike me as decent guys; they should turn it down. Even they shoul;d know that that is wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-13 18:00 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 13, 2018 18:03

Great artist and guitarist . I love that lyric of his "I don't want to work I just want to bang on the drum all day "

Date: December 13, 2018 18:58

doitywoik
Palace Revolution 2000

In descending order, best first:
1. Something/Anything
2. A Wizard, A True Star
3. Todd
4. Ballad Of Todd Rundgren
5. Faithful
6. Runt
7. Back To The Bars
8. Inititation
9. Hermit Of Mink Hollow
10. Best Of The Nazz
11. Everything else

Date: December 13, 2018 19:58

TheGreek
Great artist and guitarist . I love that lyric of his "I don't want to work I just want to bang on the drum all day "

That was part of his set with Ringo's All Stars. Saw him do it from the second row at the King's Theater. He was actually very funny and entertaining. Ringo keeps it light.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 13, 2018 20:20

Palace Revolution 2000
doitywoik
Palace Revolution 2000

"A Wizard A True Star" and "Something/Anything" are those two doubles. They are both pretty good. I like "Hermit of Mink Hollow" too. And the Live Utopia wasn't bad. Gotta love the Utopia theme.
But 'Initiation", while very over the top, has some great songs like 'Real Man', 'Death of Rockn Roll', 'Initiation','Fair Warning'.
I hear some of the newer stuff is supposed to be good.
Just saw this morning who made the RnR HOF. Todd, MC5, Kraftwerk - some very influential acts did not make it. But Def Leppard did. This is such a joke. Def Leppard strike me as decent guys; they should turn it down. Even they shoul;d know that that is wrong.

Thanks! Gonna check'em out! smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home