Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

brown sugar played live before sticky fingers was released
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 4, 2005 01:15

i have some of the '70 boots with live versions of brown sugar....before it was officially released....anyone out there in stonesland know the reasoning behind this...were they so "hot" on this song that they wanted to test it out live before releasing sticky fingers? they also played it at altamont '69

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-04 01:18 by Leonard Keringer.

Re: brown sugar played live before sticky fingers was released
Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 4, 2005 01:17

Yepp. Exactly.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: October 4, 2005 01:25

Niklas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Cousin Minnie says: How delecious!

Didn't she say: How delicious!
Maybe she's dyslexic.

Date: October 4, 2005 01:28

nope... she said howwww deeeeeeeelishiss!!!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 4, 2005 01:30

Leonard,

Do you mean that they weren't concerned so much about releasing it on the album, as much as testing its hit quotient? I can believe that, given the era, and given what they were able to accomplish with PIB, JJF and HTW, all incredible hits that are orphans, album-wise.

Date: October 4, 2005 01:33

camper88 Wrote:
> Leonard,
>
> Do you mean that they weren't concerned so much
> about releasing it on the album, as much as
> testing its hit quotient? I can believe that,
> given the era, and given what they were able to
> accomplish with PIB, JJF and HTW, all incredible
> hits that are orphans, album-wise.

camper88...no, actually i assumed they were playing it live with the intent of still releasing it as a single as well as on Sticky fingers....best wishes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-04 01:44 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 4, 2005 02:13

there was no internet to spill it all over the world in a no time
+ they where young at marketing.

Date: October 4, 2005 03:01

i forget which book i read it in, but they were holding out, beacuse they wanted iet for there next album and were hiding it from abcko, and the fact the did it in a low budget studio in alabama during a break during 69 tour,

Date: October 4, 2005 03:58

ISleptWithLisaFischer Wrote:
> i forget which book i read it in, but they were
> holding out, beacuse they wanted iet for there
> next album and were hiding it from abcko, and the
> fact the did it in a low budget studio in alabama
> during a break during 69 tour,

the abcko story sounds familiar...wasn't @#$%& blues a "good bye and fuch you" to honor their contract with them?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 4, 2005 06:21

Exactly, re @#$%& Blues. Was their kissoff to Decca.
"Sticky Fingers" (and before that even the 45 single Brown Sugar/Bitch or Let it Rock) was the very first release on RS Records. For many reasons this was an important release for them. First one on their own label, last one while still living officially in the UK, and the 69 tour also seems to have elevated the Stones onto a new tier, into a new sphere that up till now had been undiscovered country. Then with the end of the tour, and the emerging stories about Altamont, I guess the band felt that they had even more to prove.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 4, 2005 06:24

It was also a legendary studio in Alabama, w/ a sound they loved & a track list of classic soul hits. BTW they also previewed "Cherry Oh Baby" in NYC 9 months before B & B was released.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 4, 2005 10:45

can i agree with the above regarding ABKCO and Decca and the Muscle Shoals studio and so on, and still note that it wasn't all that unusual back then for them to play stuff in concert before releasing it on an album?

one other factoid about the 1969 Muscle Shoals recordings: they were apparently done in violation of the Stones' work permits - at least that's how Stanley Booth has it, in The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 4, 2005 11:03

I have a feeling that the Stones were trucking through Alabama and for obvious reasons wanted to record these specific tunes in Muscle Shoals Studio with it's history and reputation. Same reason the recorded certain cuts in Chicago at Chess. I mean Y Gotta Move and Wild Horses are VERY American songs, no?
I read that they had a hell of a time getting the feel right for YGM. Took them a while to strip it down the way they did. Anyone ever tried to pick out the lectric piano by Bill Wyman. I'm not even sure but it's only at the absolute end that I detect a faint Fender Rhodes-like rumbling. And re. WH maybe Jagger very much wanted to return with a recording of it to present to Marianne upon their return to UK. (Just my tabloid musings...) The WH sessions supposedly went through several changes. The GS movie version is quite different from the final cut. Although it MIGHT just be a question of edits and overdubs. The basic track sounds like the same. I have read a great article about the sessions. They were in a good magic take and Jimmy Dickinson called a halt. It was like "Woah! Sacrilege! Who is this plebeian halting a Stones runthrough??" But they had run out of tape. It says that JD played piano the conventional way but to me it sounds like he must have played it while elaning into the body of the piano.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: October 4, 2005 12:22

"and still note that it wasn't all that unusual back then for them to play stuff in concert before releasing it on an album?"

The Stones did Dead Flowers and Brown Sugar during the European Tour 1970. I guess another reason was they just loved the songs and were very confident and maybe proud about them. And the audience back then seemed to dig it.

I wish they had played unreleased stuff more often. Worried About You from El Mocambo '77 is great!

Posted by: dj ()
Date: October 4, 2005 13:48

It's not all that unusual for artists to perform songs in advance of their official release. Springsteen has done this often during his career. Off the top of my head I remember "Sherry Darling" from the Darkness (1978) tour which predated the official release (1980) on "The River" album.

Posted by: Brad F ()
Date: October 4, 2005 14:32

Leonard,

I think your "@#$%& Blues" observation is correct. After all, technically if they had given Brown Sugar to Decca before they gave them @#$%& Blues, it would have basically become Allen Klein's song, because of how bad their record deal was at that time, so it made sense to hold out and wait to release it under their own label.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 4, 2005 16:12

The Stones are used to play songs, which aren't yet on any album, from the beginning of their career till nowadays. E.g. "Roll over Beethoven" in 69 till "Oh No Not You Again" in 05. They have an enormous back catalogue of which the released songs are only a little part. Some songs made it on the next album, some not ...

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 4, 2005 16:15

Same goes for You Gotta Move and Bitch.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 4, 2005 16:28

One of the coolest ideas I can imagine would be if the Stones enter the stage and do nothing but songs that aren't released ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home