Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Most overrated album according to BBC
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 4, 2005 12:05

To me, The Beach Boys are Pet Sounds and a greatest hits single. But that's MY mistake. I'll try to dig in to the stuff you mention BowieStone. When is it from??? And where can I get Pacific Ocean Blue if it's not released???

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 4, 2005 12:15

Pacific Ocean Blue was released. It's a Dennis Wilson soloalbum, but now out of print. I bought my copy from a jumble sale (correct word?) for 2,5 euros. If you check amazon they charge you $150 for the sony re-issue from 1991.
What I meant by "The best album the beach boys never recorded" is that's it's beach boys quality (the beach boys at their very best).

The Beach Boys albums I meantioned are from the mid sixties 'til the mid seventies.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 4, 2005 12:17

Pacific Ocean Blue was a Dennis Wilson solo album from about 1977. What Bowiestone is implying is that had the Beach Boys recorded it instead of it being a solo album, it would have been better known and highly rated. Its a very nice record and one which I think most people wouldnt have thought him capable of. It was certainly better than what the Beach Boys were putting out around that time.

Add in Brian's self titled solo album from 1988 to that list. A lot of the post Pet Sounds albums have varying levels of greatness on them. Would have been more only for Brian's perilous mental state resulting in varying leves of contribution from him, but all of the albuims listed do indeed have some great music on them that deserves to be better known.

Date: October 4, 2005 12:19

If it's the Beach Boys at their best (Like with "God Only Knows") then it must be FRIGGIN' good. I'll check it out. My brother likes them, so I bet he can help me get them.

BTW: Have you seen the Beach Boys TV-movie called "Summer Dreams"??? It's AWESOME IMO. It has Bruce Greenwood as Dennis Wilson.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 4, 2005 12:53

Ive seen it! Its pretty cool, I like it.

Date: October 4, 2005 17:42

The guy who plays their Wilsons' dad is great. "YOU'RE OUT OF THE BAND MISTER!!!! OUT OF THE FAMILY!!!! YOU'RE GONE!!! You hear me.....OUT"!!!!!
Great acting all around.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: blskid1 ()
Date: October 4, 2005 19:39

"I don't have 1 Beatles CD...Paul never got a nickle from me"

You can buy them all now because he no longer owns the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalog, Michael Jackson does.

But I agree with StonesBowie about Pet Sounds, Sgt Peppers, and Joshua Tree not being overrated. Everything else on the list def is.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: October 4, 2005 22:33

BowieStone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Beach Boys (Only in
> > the case of Pet Sounds)
>
> Pet Sounds might be their best album, but don't
> UNDERrate the other Beach Boys albums. There are
> some classics in there. I actually think that the
> oeuvre of the beach boys is underrated. Only
> because of people only talk about Pet Sounds.
>
> All of their early 60s hits are pure genius. But
> since Today! they actually made brilliant full
> albums. Just listen to albums like 'Friends',
> 'Sunflower', 'Surfs Up', 'Holland', 'Wild Honey',
> 'Smiley Smile' is actually a good album, 'Today'.
>
> And let's not forget Dennis Wilsons 'Pacific Ocean
> Blue'. This album might be the best thing the
> beach boys never recorded. And ofcourse Brians
> Smile album.
>
>
>
>
> - BowieStone

Absolutely correct, BowieStone. The Beach Boys were brilliant until about 1978. Afterwards, they sucked...but what a great band until that point ! And Brian, of course, is still releasing great stuff -- 'Smile' was probably the best album of 2004.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 4, 2005 22:51

""I don't have 1 Beatles CD...Paul never got a nickle from me"

You can buy them all now because he no longer owns the publishing rights to the Beatles back catalog, Michael Jackson does."

This is a real big misconception. Michael does not have 100% ownership of the Beatles song catalog, he only has controlling interest or somewhere over 50% ownership. Paul owns a minimum of 25% of every Lennon-McCartney song because when their publishing company, Northern Songs, was set up in late 1962, famed music publisher Dick James took 50% with John and Paul each getting 25% ownership. Paul has never sold his percentage. What Jackson owns is the 50% that Dick James owned, plus a certain amount of John's share that he decided to sell off the in 70s.

Paul collects 50% of the songwriters royalties plus at least 25% of the publishing royalties from each of those songs but he does not get to decide how the songs are used or licenced.

The first Beatles single Love Me Do b/w P.S. I Love You was published by Ardmore and Beachwood prior to the existence of Northern Songs. These 2 songs were not included in what Michael Jackson purchased and are now owned 100% by Paul's company MPL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-04 22:53 by Halup.

Date: October 5, 2005 00:23

Jackson and Sony control the rights of the songs. But do not receive royalties, I think.

Sony/ATV is more than just Beatles songs... just check [www.sonyatv.com] ... just check your cd's, when you see sony/atv in the songcredits that means Jackson and Sony owns the song. Just to name a couple of others: a lot of Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, ... songs.
No Michael Jackson songs though, that's another organisation: Mijac. Mijac is entirely owned by Jackson. It includes also other artists like Sly & The Family Stone.

Whenever a Beatles song (or a song owned by sony/atv) is used somewhere, Sony & jackson had to agree and will be payed (a lot! and share in profits). Like there would be no album '1' by The Beatles if Jackson didn't want it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-05 00:32 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 5, 2005 00:55

"Like there would be no album '1' by The Beatles if Jackson didn't want it."

- BowieStone

I don't think Michael really had a say in that. Michael controls the songs, while it is EMI that owns all the Beatles sound recordings. When Klein renegotiated the Beatles contract with EMI in 1969, the band and their company Apple aquired the right to veto any EMI decisions regarding releasing compilations and unreleased recordings, so they have a say in all of it, but I don't believe Michael wields that control regarding these re-releases as he does not own the sound recordings, even though he has the controlling interest in the copyrights on the songs themselves.

Date: October 5, 2005 13:52

I thought, that owning the songs means deciding what happens with them and getting paid for it.
But you seem to know more about these things, so I might be wrong.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home