Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - "The Memphis Tapes" Primal Scream
Date: November 21, 2018 15:32

Best Stones-y album by someone besides the Stones. I have loved this album since day 1; especially the ballads. I would have bought this re-issue regardless. But I had no idea how good, actually how much better, this would be. The original Tom Dowd mixes, that Creation and Primal opted to not release. It was just too far off the path for those days, too sincere and rootsy. Plus it is said that the drugs also clouded their focus and vision.
Can not recommend this album enough.

Re: OT - "The Memphis Tapes" Primal Scream
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 21, 2018 15:59

BBC documentary (UK only):
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Also on YouTube:
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 01:43 by Deltics.

Date: November 21, 2018 16:11

Palace Revolution 2000
Best Stones-y album by someone besides the Stones. I have loved this album since day 1; especially the ballads. I would have bought this re-issue regardless. But I had no idea how good, actually how much better, this would be. The original Tom Dowd mixes, that Creation and Primal opted to not release. It was just too far off the path for those days, too sincere and rootsy. Plus it is said that the drugs also clouded their focus and vision.
Can not recommend this album enough.

I thought Give Out But Don’t Give Up was brilliant. Is Dowd's mix that superior to the Drakoulias-mix? Will check it out - thanks thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 21, 2018 20:30

I have a signed copy of this, courtesy of buying it from the Primal's website. It's great.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 21, 2018 20:39

Love me some Primal Scream.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: November 21, 2018 21:20

Here's my suggested compilation, combining the best of the old and the new [onlyrockandroll.london]

Date: November 21, 2018 23:13

johnnythunders
Here's my suggested compilation, combining the best of the old and the new [onlyrockandroll.london]

Good comp; more than that: thanks for that Blog link. Good stuff there.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:32

Yep, great stuff ! There was a long and insightful interview in Mojo a few months ago too about these sessions.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 22, 2018 02:00

Rocks

[youtu.be]

Jailbird

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 22, 2018 06:55

"Give Out But Don’t Give Up" it's exactly the album i was waiting since Tattoo You!!! smiling smiley
'Rocks' and 'Jailbird' are the best Stones outtakes ever!
I much prefer the Drakoulias-mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 06:57 by KRiffhard.

Date: November 22, 2018 07:04

johnnythunders

Well done thumbs up

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: November 22, 2018 07:58

I think it’s hilarious they they sounded more like The Black Crowes BEFORE they brought Drakoulis in.

I love this release, especially the second disc.

This is the band you always figured Primal Scream had sounded like at one time. You can hear the roots in all their music. But they never actually were that band until they recorded this stuff.

Solid

Date: November 22, 2018 17:10

JMARKO
I think it’s hilarious they they sounded more like The Black Crowes BEFORE they brought Drakoulis in.

I love this release, especially the second disc.

This is the band you always figured Primal Scream had sounded like at one time. You can hear the roots in all their music. But they never actually were that band until they recorded this stuff.

Solid

What is also interesting with them is that when they perform material from "Vanishing Point", "XTRMNTR" or "Evil Heat" on stage; songs that are much more dub-like, and electronics, they all end up sounding like rockers again. Primal is and was always a great rock band. Once they added Mani they really had all the pieces in place. It's really too bad about Robert Throb Young passing away.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 22, 2018 23:13

This has been on non stop rotation in my car for the last fortnight. It is like a classic lost Stones album. Utterly wonderful. Check out Call on me, or Big jet plane. Honestly, hunt it down, it's a classic

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 23, 2018 15:06

Deltics
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Also on YouTube:
[www.youtube.com]

Finally watched the documentary, great stuff, thanks for the YT link ! I'll probably go back to the Mojo interview now. Reminds me a bit of GS when the Stones went to Muscle Shoals. I don't like everything that PS have done but the Memphis tapes are really stunning. They're great live too, it was something seeing Bobby Gillespie working the stage with his cowboy boots last year in a human sized room ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 1, 2018 12:11

gotdablouse
Deltics
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Also on YouTube:
[www.youtube.com]

Finally watched the documentary, great stuff, thanks for the YT link ! I'll probably go back to the Mojo interview now. Reminds me a bit of GS when the Stones went to Muscle Shoals. I don't like everything that PS have done but the Memphis tapes are really stunning. They're great live too, it was something seeing Bobby Gillespie working the stage with his cowboy boots last year in a human sized room ;-)

watching this now. excellent documentary. i've hung out with some of these guys a little. kind of criminally overlooked band, IMHO. although screamadelica remains the classic there remain many other great songs throughout their career.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 1, 2018 13:17

One of the best release of this year. Get the 2-LP version if you can...

Date: December 1, 2018 13:38

kowalski
One of the best release of this year. Get the 2-LP version if you can...

thumbs up

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 1, 2018 15:22

I was underwhelmed by this release. Love the original album, but this sounds like rehearsals to me.
A 1 spin album.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: December 1, 2018 16:18

Great live band...and lo and behold will be in Prague next June playing in a park 10 min stroll from my place...I feel this is my Lucky Dip for today

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: December 2, 2018 07:46

Is it available to buy in the US

Date: December 2, 2018 09:23

Donnebr
Is it available to buy in the US

only as an import in the US. think i'm going to order from the band's website.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 2, 2018 10:04

I found it on YouTube, it's a good watch!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 2, 2018 21:50

I’ll be having a toke and settling down to watch this on YouTube later

Date: December 5, 2018 02:49

Great watch. Bobby Gillespie said said they were one of the last rock n roll bands there was. Spot on. I’d like to catch them live again but they haven’t played here in a while. I’d to buy a ticket for the cult last time round just to catch them as a support act....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 5, 2018 07:11

Paddy
Great watch. Bobby Gillespie said said they were one of the last rock n roll bands there was. Spot on. I’d like to catch them live again but they haven’t played here in a while. I’d to buy a ticket for the cult last time round just to catch them as a support act....

I saw that at the Hollywood Palladium opening for the Cult, then they came around a year later here in LA playing a small theater with about 1,000 capacity. I was right up against the stage in front of Andrew's Amps.

Date: December 5, 2018 09:49

Paddy

I actually left after Primal Scream played.

Date: December 5, 2018 09:57

crholmstrom
Paddy

Same here, Saw them in Vancouver and left after the primals.

Date: December 5, 2018 10:00

BluzDude
Paddy

I saw that at the Hollywood Palladium opening for the Cult, then they came around a year later here in LA playing a small theater with about 1,000 capacity. I was right up against the stage in front of Andrew's Amps.

Same tour I caught them on. First time I saw them was 95 at a festival in Ireland. Bobby was almost green and hanging off the mike. He looked ill. But @#$%& he sang amazingly. Him and Denise doing Come Together was amazing. I’d love to see some footage of that gig.

Date: December 5, 2018 11:55

Paddy
crholmstrom
Paddy

Same here, Saw them in Vancouver and left after the primals.

Sacrilege! smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home