Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: how Jagger's persona has changed over the years
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 17, 2018 18:27

Rip This
I think...there are a couple of things that have shaped Jagger more recently....his children becoming adults ( I think this has censored him in a way)....his relationship w/ L'Wren (and everything that happened from that), and Keith's Memoir Life....

The internet and social media has (obviously) also changed how someone presents their persona.
I am guessing the idea today is to have new little stories put out to keep name and business ‘out there’
But he keeps his feelings and personal details to himself.
To me, that’s the part that hasn’t changed.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 17, 2018 18:35

we love the cool mick from the past. if he hadn't changed to being the 'warmer' guy though, i probably would have hated him by now.

he's evolved, good for him.

as far as not being completely public about his private life, good for him.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 18, 2018 23:17

It,s called growing up.Big luck Keith,s the same as he was 40 years ago.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 19, 2018 07:09

treaclefingers
we love the cool mick from the past. if he hadn't changed to being the 'warmer' guy though, i probably would have hated him by now.

he's evolved, good for him.

as far as not being completely public about his private life, good for him.

Well said!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 19, 2018 12:41

harlem shuffle

Over the past 40 years Keith has gone from being a hopeless junkie, to make it to the grand old age of 75. He's been an inspiration to many people. I think of him as this Buddha like figure these days, so happy and contented in his skin, and full of wisdom with a difference winking smiley Keith is a shinning example of the road to excess leads to the path of wisdom.smoking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 19, 2018 13:04

keithsman
harlem shuffle

Over the past 40 years Keith has gone from being a hopeless junkie, to make it to the grand old age of 75. He's been an inspiration to many people. I think of him as this Buddha like figure these days, so happy and contented in his skin, and full of wisdom with a difference winking smiley Keith is a shinning example of the road to excess leads to the path of wisdom.smoking smiley

Well,am not quite sure that drinking (allegedly) the amount KEITH has consumed this last 40 years shows much enlightenment! And smoking of course.

A better example if you are looking for inspiration is the latter day life of Eric Clapton. From drink/drugs etc to unpaid Counselling and then setting up the Crossroads Treatment Centre. Most people would have thought it was just a rich mans vanity trip, but Eric seems to have more than maintained his commitment to it.

(Of course, Keith may be a very generous charity giver, but in a private way).

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 19, 2018 14:09

jlowe
keithsman
harlem shuffle

Well,am not quite sure that drinking (allegedly) the amount KEITH has consumed this last 40 years shows much enlightenment! And smoking of course.

A better example if you are looking for inspiration is the latter day life of Eric Clapton. From drink/drugs etc to unpaid Counselling and then setting up the Crossroads Treatment Centre. Most people would have thought it was just a rich mans vanity trip, but Eric seems to have more than maintained his commitment to it.

(Of course, Keith may be a very generous charity giver, but in a private way).

Keith in drink is puzzling, he doesn't come across as an alcoholic who can't stop when he wants to, like me i just think he really loved it and he isn't a nasty drunk from what we hear about him, he has a loving family around him and he seems to charm all that meet him, he's certainly never hit bottom has he, a very successful man on all fronts. I Guess the only person he is harming is himself, but on the other hand there is zero evidence that drinking has harmed him.

What i'm saying is that somehow drinking has worked for Keith, enabled him to do his job and get him through his shyness, i never get the impression Keith performs completely straight, same with Ronnie.

Eric Clapton is younger than Keith and looks to be in worse health for all his decades of sobriety, so no we can't really say Keith is a victim of alcohol in comparison to Eric or that Eric is more enlightened as a human being, although his playing suggests he has the heart of an Angel.

I don't follow that one cannot obtain enlightenment because they consume drink or drugs, its the opposite in fact in some cases, lots of people who have been addicts have gone on to incredible levels of heightened consciousness, also just look into the ayahuasca plant, "DMT" and it's passage to enlightenment, ayahuasca is known as a doorway to enlightenment but of course it's not for everyone.

I was pleased to hear Keith say that he hasn't drank since last December because he really is too old now to be giving that sort of punishment to his body, and equally i hope he ditches the ciggies soon. I think Keith has been off drink more than he has been on it since 2008. Unlike Ronnie Keith doesn't preach about it or persistently look for a pat on the back all the time, i also think Keith only smokes for show these days, he is a little childish winking smiley
Yep Keith is full of contradictions, this is why he fascinates people.

I agree with you though, it's very commendable what Eric has done with his Crossroads foundation, Keith if anything turns people onto drink and drugs, i have to admit i was impressioned by him in that way for decades until i looked at drink in a more cynical way recently and have stopped altogether.
Maybe Keith finally stopping was an inspiration to me.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 19, 2018 17:09

Really interesting thoughts here, thanks, all.

One thing I would add to an early influence of change on Mick, maybe more on him on than the rest of the band is Altamont.

He seems to have lost some of his innocence and even sweetness onstage after that, understandably.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 20, 2018 07:34

jlowe
keithsman
Mick is a great example of a man who has learn't his life lessons, a very clever man in that respect, who has learnt that discipline and control is the only way to extend his career, Mick is exactly what Mick needs to be to go on surviving in this industry, but alas the things that drive him come at a price, creativity has taken a back seat as a result of discipline and control.

Keith and Ronnie have taken this kind of kill them with kindness approach to the media, and that works for them, whereas Mick is comfortable with taking a more guarded approach.
Also Mick had to change, he and Keith were virtually broke at the beginning of the 70's after all the success they had, and again at the end of the 70's they found themselves with very little financially as a result of all the success they had in the 70's.
Since then, Mick's won't get fooled again stance is working very well, so who can blame Mick for changing, he's a winner, but some of those life lessons have changed him and i think he's been scarred by life and it shows, he has obsessive behavior in some aspects of his life and it's understandable i suppose. He has obsessions with youth, money, women etc, do they make for a happy contented Mick, who knows, these are his choices, but the old Mick is still in there somewhere, every so often he looks so happy onstage, almost euphoric and we get these little glimpses, then he realizes he is giving too much away and its on with the program, on with the business, but he's still Mick.
I do miss that vulnerable side to him though, looking at old footage he sometimes came across as naive and innocent, just in love with the music and life, he and Keith had this supporting relationship, i actually think a lot of the changes in Mick are as a result of the breakdown in he and Keith's closeness as friends and as creative partners. Without Keith by his side supporting him Mick has had to take care of himself, he's had to harden up, and for want of a better word, he's had to man up. Maybe Mick takes this too far, this is just my opinion, it's probably the view of the very few, but its my view. I think Mick drew strength from Keith, and its a point that no one has hit on so far in this forum. Equally we can say the same of Keith, when Mick married Bianca and he lost his friend and writing muse Keith sank deeper into addiction, who knows, had Mick never slept with Anita things might have worked out differently.

Agreed...BUT
1. Why were they in not good shape, financially by the end of the 70s? They had secured good record deals, continued to tour, received an ABKCO pay off, limited their tax liabilities and so on.
2.I think the Mick/Anita thing is blown up out of all proportion. By all accounts Mick 'slept'with all (except Shirley) the groups partners. And Keith was hardly monogamous at that moment in their lives. He and Anita had a pretty open relationship, by all accounts, which clearly suited them!

Poor to bad business deals, getting ripped off... they didn't really make money until STEEL WHEELS. They did OK with the TATTOO YOU tour compared to the SOME GIRLS tour but...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 20, 2018 17:33

I must admit I had always thought that from 1971 onwards, with Prince Rupert and Sir Mick, assisted by others had the business side sown up.
Good record deals, very good sales figures (by today's standards) and respectable returns from touring.
Also,a very benelovent tax set up.
Maybe Mick wasn't such a good businessman then?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 20, 2018 17:46

keithsman
[... he is a little childish winking smiley

Yep Keith is full of contradictions, this is why he fascinates people.

two very true points there .

And returning to the point, as far as I can see ....If Mick & Keith weren't both essentially nice blokes, its hard to see how they would get along and remain on such good terms with all their ex's stretching back 50 years !

There'd be a queue of folks waiting to stick the knife in ...and for such high profile "celebrities" they've been remarkably spared of that grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-20 17:48 by Spud.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home