Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any NIcky Hopkins experts? Help with memorabilia please
Posted by: downagain ()
Date: October 25, 2018 16:29

Maybe a decade or more ago I won an Ebay auction for what you see pictured, all the layout work and colour negative for an album I'm sure you all know well, The Tin Man Was a Dreamer. At this point I can no longer see who the seller was and I'm looking for info on what you see here I put an LP under some of the items to give you an idea of the size.
Does anyone have any idea how I'd find out more about this? I have no doubt that it's legit, I just want to know more about it. I was wondering if this was his handwriting but a post I put on Facebook has helped me clarify that it likely is not but I don't know this conclusively.

There are more items than pictured but it is all along these lines. I tried to post them in the body of this post but it didn't work so please click the links.

Nicky Pic Album Cover Negative

NIcky Pic Corrections 1

NIcky Pic Corrections 2

Nicky Pic Proof of Original

Re: Any NIcky Hopkins experts? Help with memorabilia please
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 26, 2018 03:02

Are these correction process of the album credits?
I don't have any clue whehter this is his handwriting or record company man' review.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your memorabilia.

Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: October 26, 2018 09:27

Hi, nice items !

Maybe that picture of a signed record in my collection helps comparing the handwriting.

cheers
Andreas

Date: October 26, 2018 14:25

What is amazing about Nicky is that he could have had his credits read literally anyone he wanted. Rockn Roll Royalty. He must have built up so much credit and goodwill with the top elite that he could have called it in.
Imagine - Lennon, Jagger, Townshend, R Davies, Harrison, Clapton, Rod & Ron, Jeff Beck, Page. It clear that he knew that this was not an answer, but - is there anyone else who could have called on literally anyone?

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: October 26, 2018 21:41

In the mid 80s I had the wonderful opportunity to have lunch with Nicky when he visited the students at the school where I worked. I had a million questions for him, and here is a sampling of his answers:

Of all the people you have played and recorded with in the past, if you could have one more session with them, who would it be?

Harry Nilsson

Who did you not get a chance to record with that you most wanted to play with?

Bob Dylan, especially during Blonde on Blonde period

What music do you listen to these days?

Nothing.

(When I followed up on that, I asked, so, jazz, maybe?)

No, nothing. (after a pause) "Oh, I like some things that Eric Clapton is doing, and some of Phil Collins' work, but that's about it...."

That was fascinating to me, because if I listed out my top 20 fave albums of all time, Nicky is playing piano on about half of them.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: October 28, 2018 00:00

Almost certainly NOT Nicky Hopkins handwriting, simply for the fact he would not have the inclination to do so given his manager and record label was ultimately responsible for such tasks.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: October 28, 2018 00:07

Some of the annotations are possibly those of David Briggs, the co-producer, as this task would be consistent with that role and responsibility.

[en.wikipedia.org])

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: November 1, 2018 19:30

Thanks for all of the great feedback and apologies for the delay responding.

All of this stuff has been sitting in a box in my closet so I'm thinking of selling it now. What's the best bet? Ebay? Something else? I've not any real experience selling online but I know this isn't something I'll be able to find a buyer for locally. At least that's a lot less likely.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home