Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dirty Work-real witty or real shitty?
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 30, 2005 23:44

I know shitty will win this post, but sometimes I get in the dirty work mood.I mean it's got some good ones(one hit, fight, dirty work, had it with u, sleep tonight)and some klunkers , but does anyone else ever get in the mood for some good old dirty work?

Re: Dirty Work-real witty or real shitty?
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 30, 2005 23:45

better than exile, sticky fingers, let it bleed and beggars banquet put together

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 30, 2005 23:46

I like them all, but that´s because I got the disease real bad.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Re: Dirty Work
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 30, 2005 23:55

Dirty Work shakes my tailfeather just fine, thanks.
as i hear it, it's a great album with only ... [calculate calculate] one and a half clunkers.
okay, so some of the vocals sound kind of monotonous/haphazard/pasted-on,
but skip all that and listen to the guitars! the guitars! the guitars!

~*~*~*~*~

a 1986 review of DW someone recently posted on shidoobee -
it's by Christgau; i guess it's from The Village Voice.
he doesn't say much about the music, but i find it amusing anyway. :E
(the A at the end is the "grade" he gives the album, by the way ... )

Dirty Work [Rolling Stones, 1986]
Dreaming of solo glory, Mick doesn't have much time for his band these days--just plugged into his Stones mode and spewed whatever he had to spew, adding lyrics and a few key musical ideas to tracks Ron and Keith completed before the star sullied his consciousness with them. And I say let him express himself elsewhere. For once his lyrics are impulsive and confused, two-faced by habit rather than design, the straightest reports he can offer from the top he's so lonely at, about oppressing and being oppressed rather than geopolitical contradiction. In the three that lead side two, always playing dirty is getting to him, as is his misuse of the jerks and greaseballs and fvckers and dumb-asses who clean up after him, yet for all his privilege he's another nuclear subject who's got no say over whether he rots or pops even though he'd much prefer the former. Especially together with the hard advice of "Hold Back," these are songs of conscience well-known sons of bitches can get away with. Coproducer Steve Lillywhite combines high-detail arena-rock with back-to-basics commitment and limits the melismatic affectations that have turned so much of Mick's late work in on itself. Let him have his own life and career, I don't care. What I want is the Stones as an idea that belongs to history, that's mine as much as theirs. This is it. A

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2005 23:56

Had It With You....Big donk slung on a slim chassis....rev loud!!!!

Always thought of it as one of the Stones twist on modern R&B blues...Let Me Go...Had It With You...Break The Spell...Brand New Car..Might As Well Get Juiced.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: September 30, 2005 23:56

i love dirty work. great album imo

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: October 1, 2005 00:02

Liked it a lot, when it came out. Love the sound. Undercover got the better songs, but the guitar sound there is really 80ies pop bullshit. But DW rocks dirty and loud. THE KEITH ALBUM forever.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 1, 2005 00:07

When I bought Dirty Work I was dating a really cool chick. I put on side one, slid the replay handle on the turntable over, and listened to it three or four times in a row while we had sex. It was awesome!!!!!!

Or so I thought...

Life moves on. That "really cool chick" turned into my ex-wife, and Dirty Work never held up. I don't think of either one of them anymore.

Except for Too Rude.
Maybe I should give it another spin. The Stones, I mean, not the Ex.

Yeah, I'll get back to you on this one...

Date: October 1, 2005 00:20

Wow kurt not bad goin' ... rough calculation side one goes for about 18 mins so you had sex for around 72 mins...That's filthy work man filthy!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 1, 2005 00:28

Steve Lillywhite ruined that album by trying to make Charlie's drum set sound like he was playing with Bon Jovi, Billy Ocean, INXS, Duran Duran, or whatever was the flavor of the month in 85 when it was recorded (I know it was released in 86)...However, ONE HIT is awesome, love SLEEP, DIRTY WORK, HARLEM, WINNING UGLY (A SHE'S THE BOSS outake...I have the demo) and TOO RUDE.

I could do without BACK TO ZERO (which should have been on SHES THE BOSS), Hold Back, and HAD IT WITH YOU...which by the way could have been a great song hand someone given enough shit back then to lay a bass track down...oh well...missed opportunity.

That said...Loved Wood's involvement and wish they would let the dude write some tunes...his track record with the Faces speaks for itself.

PECMAN

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 1, 2005 00:36

well the true this albumis liked by hardcore people sort of hype hip to say you like this one it was the first stones album i didnt buy directly after is release did not liked it much no warm feeling at the tme i grooved to one hit fight dont hold back harlem sh had it dity work if you feel angry it can be a nice album but its the ir worst e rescue is better no tour and a end of the tones feel all over charlie on heroin mick in bad shape stu dieing and keith angry after all those years i admit to tape tunes of the album like one hit had it and fight often when another relation is shattered by the by sleep is wonder fullllllllllllll love stu so much since this is the last iam dig in to d work right

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 1, 2005 05:32

Like most of it except "Zero". Especially like the rhythm/lead on the title track.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 1, 2005 11:45

I wish K &R would get time and inspiration to'kick out some jams' again like they did on this one.

It's raw and in your face. A persoanl favourite.

(And the Eighties drum-sound didn't bother me - I liked bands like Tears For Fears etc. No contradiction!)

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 1, 2005 12:22

This was one of those albums I kinda skipped as a kid (8-13 or whatever). I just didnt get it. Would rather hear Let It Bleed or Now! but then I revisited it when I was like 15 (yeah yeah i know, all of you are like in your 50s, so me being 22 is kid status...), but when I was 15 I threw the vinyl on the stereo, cranked it up and really enjoyed a good bit of it.

Can someone tell me why there was no bass in Had It With You? Dont get me wrong, its a great tune, my favorite from the album, even over One Hit, but I always felt it could use a great bass line. Think I could call up Daryl and get him to laydown something on it? winking smiley

BTW, Sleep Tonight is fantastic. Ranks right up there with How Could I Stop in my book.

Date: October 1, 2005 12:46

Yeah, the basic track was cut with Charlie on drums, me on guitar and Mick on vocal and harp. We tried it with the full band and we realized we were just sounding like the Rolling Stones doing the Rolling Stones' favorite sort of Ye Olde Famous Rolling Stones Sound. But then, when we took the bass and the piano and the extra guitars off, it just sat right on the button. It came off sounding like a live radio broadcast that way. And at a slightly later date Ronnie and I did one overdub at the same time. But, I mean, there's nothing in the RULE BOOK that says you've GOT to have a bass on there. And then there's that middle breakdown part that almost trips over itself (laughs). Cutting a good blues track is not easy: it's all been done a million times, and to add something new to it is not so much a matter of THOUGHT as FEEL.

- Keith Richards, 1985

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 1, 2005 12:54

Real shit shat and shattered all over... this town.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 1, 2005 13:33

I guess Keith had a point. Still valid now. Though I'm tempted to go pickup a bass, learn how to play it, and laydown my own part on it just to see how the hell it wouldve sounded. lol

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 1, 2005 19:05

Christgau on DW in 2005 (in his ABB review, btw ABB gets an A minus): "I still loved...its bitterness and cynicism and spiritual desperation..." As do I. It's an honest, unflinching album, reflects whats going on in the era as well as w/in the band circa 1986.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: October 1, 2005 19:11

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> better than exile, sticky fingers, let it bleed
> and beggars banquet put together

Oh, c'mon !! You CAN'T be serious ????!!!!

Date: October 1, 2005 19:16

'Dirty Work' is neither real witty or real shitty. It's an awkward, uneven album with a few good tracks but suffers overall from the lack of cohesion the Stones were undergoing at the time as a band. Mick and Keith weren't working together at the time and it shows...as a result, the album suffers for it and comes across disjointed. Starts off well with "One Hit (To The Body)" and "Fight", finishes well with "Had It With You" and "Sleep Tonight" -- the rest in-between is mostly filler. Amen.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 1, 2005 19:35

Against the rest of the Stones canon, DW's a bag of sh!t, minus the bag.

As one of my Stone fan friends put it: Keith's done concerts for the blind, and with DW he's now done an album for the deaf.

On the other hand . . .

Against the rest of the world of rock'n'roll records, DW stands up fine.

In summary:

If DW were the only Stones album ever made or if it were representative of every other album they made, we wouldn't be talking about them in a forum like this one, so given what the band's capable of (before and since), it ain't that witty.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 1, 2005 21:16

RockR Wrote:
> Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > better than exile, sticky fingers, let it
> bleed
> > and beggars banquet put together
>
>
> Oh, c'mon !! You CAN'T be serious ????!!!!
>
>

Mr.RockR....my tongue is planted firmly in cheek

Date: October 1, 2005 22:19

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> RockR Wrote:
> -----
> > Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > better than exile, sticky fingers, let
> it
> > bleed
> > > and beggars banquet put together
> >
> >
> > Oh, c'mon !! You CAN'T be serious ????!!!!
> >
> >
>
>
> Mr.RockR....my tongue is planted firmly in cheek

That's what I thought -- just checking.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 2, 2005 01:04

I love Dirty Work. It's the most under rated album they've done in my opinion. Mick's vocals could be better and I'm not crazy about that 80s drum sound, but Keith and Ronnie's guitars kick ass. Some of my favorite Stones tunes are on that one - One Hit, Dirty Work, Harlem Shuffle, Sleep Tonight. I like Fight and Too Rude quite a bit as well, and I think the others are solid, not great but not filler.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1975
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home