Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Alternate version of Harlem Shuffle
Date: September 20, 2018 14:23

corriecas
DandelionPowderman
But several of those overdubs are missing here, and some licks that are not on the record are included on this version.

The basic tracks are the same of course. However, I'm pretty sure the vocals are earlier takes.

My guess is that this is the version that they started working with in NYC, before they peeled off stuff as well as adding guitars for the maxi single.

It sounds like they kept a few of Mick's howls and grunts on the maxi single as well.

Would be nice if this take could be posted on WeTransfer.
Jeroen

Email me, jeroen.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 20, 2018 14:32

DandelionPowderman
There is also one more guitar (occasionally) center/left.

Sorry, mixed up with the NYC-mix (been listening to too many versions, hehe)

I understand - It's not easy to sort out version when a lot of alternate versions and a lot of official versions exists.

So, have anyone heard a difference with the references I gave ? (2LP Last Goodbye and 2CD Back To Zero VGP) ?

By the way when I write :

guitar (low) - it mean "low in the mix"

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 20, 2018 14:34

DandelionPowderman
corriecas
DandelionPowderman
But several of those overdubs are missing here, and some licks that are not on the record are included on this version.

The basic tracks are the same of course. However, I'm pretty sure the vocals are earlier takes.

My guess is that this is the version that they started working with in NYC, before they peeled off stuff as well as adding guitars for the maxi single.

It sounds like they kept a few of Mick's howls and grunts on the maxi single as well.

Would be nice if this take could be posted on WeTransfer.
Jeroen

Email me, jeroen.
done

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 20, 2018 15:04

DAC - metallic sound.

tape - natural sound

[we.tl]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 20, 2018 17:04

LiveAtHidepark
DAC - metallic sound.

tape - natural sound

[we.tl]

Thanks
Jeroen

Date: September 20, 2018 20:09

liddas
Always loved the bass line of Shuffle, and it is loud and clear on this version.

I never was able to sort out Bill's work exactly.

Some time ago I gave up and bought a bass tab book: it says that Bill used a 5 string bass ... Possible?

Never saw him with a 5 string bass. If possible they are even more awful than those Steinbergers ...

C
I have to admit that this song always gave me hard time. It is the simplest song, the chords I mean. But that's why it was giving me a hard time. It's rare to just go from one minor chord up a half step to another minor. usually there is just more to it somehow. I was positive that there was a major chord involved in there.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2018 20:31

Lest we forget, IMO the best version of them all- the original from 1963:

Bob & Earl - Harlem Shuffle

Love the Stones version of course, and it was their last single that truly resonated with me as great, but something about the early pure R&B soul sound of the original that does it for me.
Seems the Stones simply used it as a blueprint without re-working it very much beyond what it already was, but of course it's very Stonesy and they put their stamp on it.
And for those who want horns, they dominate on the original.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: September 20, 2018 20:56

best live version--7 July 1990 London....great licks....Too bad no One Hit in this quality

Date: September 21, 2018 01:18

Palace Revolution 2000
liddas
Always loved the bass line of Shuffle, and it is loud and clear on this version.

Some time ago I gave up and bought a bass tab book: it says that Bill used a 5 string bass ... Possible?

Never saw him with a 5 string bass. If possible they are even more awful than those Steinbergers ...

C
I have to admit that this song always gave me hard time. It is the simplest song, the chords I mean. But that's why it was giving me a hard time. It's rare to just go from one minor chord up a half step to another minor. usually there is just more to it somehow. I was positive that there was a major chord involved in there.

It's minor to major. Keith is still playing blues licks in minor on the major, though smiling smiley

Date: September 21, 2018 12:44

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
liddas

C

It's minor to major. Keith is still playing blues licks in minor on the major, though smiling smiley

Dandy, I don't think so. Try Abm to Am (except the intro). That is all it is.

Date: September 21, 2018 12:46

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
liddas

C

That's how I remembered it. Thanks, my memory isn't what it used to be smiling smiley

Date: September 21, 2018 14:54

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
liddas

C

That's how I remembered it. Thanks, my memory isn't what it used to be smiling smiley

You're preaching to the choir , boy. Especially in music - I have to really drill new songs into my head nowadays.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home