Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Paul Westerberg Anyone?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 30, 2005 15:42

It appears virtually every conceivable Stones topic is locked up here. So I have an OT Q: what do people think of Westerberg? I just recently rediscovered him. To be honest I sort of forgot about him. But just the other day a song popped into my head. It';s one of his beautiful ballads called "Time Flies Tomorrow" a song that actually has made me cry. Once.
PW never could break big. Those soloalbums which I like more than some of the Replacements were excellent IMO. Mac, Rick Richards, Brendan O'Brian were all over them. He had that gift for melody coupled with really brilliant lyrics at times.

Re: Paul Westerberg Anyone?
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 30, 2005 16:26

Knockin' On Mind, First Gimmer and Silver Naked Ladies...great stuff from the 14 Songs disc...

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: September 30, 2005 18:18

I never got into his solo work that much. But I do think he is brilliant.

the Replacements album "let it be" is one of my top 5 records of all time.

amazing

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 30, 2005 18:26

Westerberg is awesome. The Replacements are one of the top ten rock bands of all time as far as I'm concerned, and a lot of his solo stuff is quite good. I've seen him several times, most recently this past May. He always puts on a great show, and always signs autographs for his fans and poses for pictures with them afterwards.

He is a big Stones fan: on his last tour he played an ass kicking version of Jumping Jack Flash at several shows, and he's said that one of his ambitions is to play on one of Keith's solo albums or get Keith to play on one of his. Apparently he knows Steve Jordan and there was talk for a bit that this might happen, but nothing came of it. Westerberg owes a lot of his rough and ready guitar style to Keith, and he's also got some stories of rock and roll excess with the Replacements that rival some of Keef's exploits. I have a feeling those two would get along pretty well.

After his second solo album in 1996 Westerberg didn't do much until 2002 (there was one forgetable solo album in 1999 that he didn't tour behind). But he has been quite active in the past three years, putting out one great studio album (Mono) and four good ones (Stereo, Dead Man Shake, Come Feel Me Tremble, and Folker).

He has a song on Mono called "Let's Not Belong" that includes a reference to Brian Jones. The song might even be partially about Brian Jones, I think. At the very least it is about that feeling of otherness and not belonging that Brian could certainly relate to. Here are the lyrics:

Let's Not Belong Together

OK
Yours is tense
Mine is dull
You take offense
I take a full minute just to notice

You don't fit or accommodate
You've learned to quit, it's a stunning trait
And every loser knows this

We don't belong to different worlds
There's nothing wrong with us whatsoever
Let's not belong together

Is it fact or is it myth
Or just a lack of people to be with
That makes us crazy?
Or so they say
Yours will pass
Hurry up
They'll teach you some patience fast

We pledge allegiance to the fu cking sky
Above the only place we really lie
We pledge allegiance to the fu cking sky
The only place that makes us feel alive

Let's not belong, let's not belong

Yours is young
Mine is not
Yours is new
And mine is shot
And everybody knows it

Yours is up
Mine is out
You're lookin' great
There ain't no doubt
Just like Brian Jones did

Stones fans would dig his stuff; you can check out his website at [members.aol.com]

The Stones should get him to open for them; 90% of the audience wouldn't know who he is, but they'd remember him after he rocked their asses off!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 30, 2005 18:31

ive been a replacements fan since '85...not into westerbergs solo stuff too much, but i've heard some great songs from them...as for the "mats" one of my favorite bands of all-time..."answering machine" "favorite thing" "kiss me on the bus" "I'm in trouble" "unsatisfied" "sixteen blue" "@#$%& school" "god damn job" "never mind" etc. etc.....love their diverse influences: punk, country, pop....criminally underrated band....best wishes

Posted by: welded ()
Date: September 30, 2005 19:10

Persoanlly love the 14 songs album - good rockin stuff and great tunes

Posted by: Jack Flash ()
Date: September 30, 2005 19:49

If you like his solo stuff, check out the first Granpaboy disc. It's excellent and has a lot of Stones influence.

Posted by: Tor ()
Date: September 30, 2005 20:03

He's GREAT!! everyone should buy him.. i've got it all..
Dirty Desiel should have been the #1 hit in 2004

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 1, 2005 02:44

Yeah Vampires & Failures from his Dead Man Shake - Grandpaboy.......cool track.

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1436
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home