Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did Brian ever played a finger solo (not slide)??
Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: September 30, 2005 15:08

I don't think he did.Keith used to play all the "finger" solos while Brian did all the slide work.

Re: Did Brian ever played a finger solo (not slide)??
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 30, 2005 15:28

I think the only solo he played was on I wanna Be Your Man and of course, that was slide.

It's him playing the riff on The Last Time though. I know it's not a solo, but I was suprised when I read it was him.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 30, 2005 15:38

I have heard it said that it is Brian on the "It's all over now" solo. Same about "Last Time". I'm not sure.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 30, 2005 15:43

Last time is his slide riff. He did some solos on the first albums didnt he? KEith was the solo guitarist back then. Little red rooster is one of their best solos and its on slide.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 30, 2005 16:12

It's All Over Now is 100% sure Keith!

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: September 30, 2005 16:19

Last Time is BJ, but not a slide riff.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 30, 2005 16:21

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have heard it said that it is Brian on the "It's
> all over now" solo. Same about "Last Time". I'm
> not sure.

It's defiantly Brian doing the riff on The Last Time. I just presume its Keith playing the rhythm and the solo. I too read somewhere that it's Brian playing the solo on It's All Over Now, but I've read it was Keith more times.

Look at how they did The Last Time live on The Bridges To Babylon tour. Ronnie did the riff, with Keith doing the rhythm and the solo.

Its All Over Now on the Voodoo Lounge Tour had Keith doing the bluesy fills and solo, while Ronnie plays the basic rhythm.

One thing I've noticed about Ronnie is that for pre-76 Stones tunes, he does the Mick Taylor and Brian parts, while Keith just plays the parts he originally did on the record.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 30, 2005 16:26

Ehm, It's All Over Now, that solo is definetly Keith. That is Keith's style you're hearing there. He also playes it live. It is surely Keith!

And I am also sure The Last Time is a finger riff. No slide. Definetly not! Well, I'm probably wrong about it being Keith that played the main riff. Sorry... I've read it in quite reliable sources, but I'll believe you all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-02 19:50 by Reptile.

Posted by: llaushin ()
Date: October 1, 2005 14:45

I've read on Keno's site that Brian played the solo on MONA?Is that true?
Did somebody hear the BBC session when the boys backed Bo Diddley in 1964?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 2, 2005 08:39

Keith is playing solo on It's All Over Now. Brian plays the "choppy" sounding guitar which is prominent towards the end of the song. Their performance of the song on the TAMI show shows who's playing what part.
Brian is playing the main riff on The Last Time. Not sure why Keith wouldn't play it. If you watch their performance on Ready Steady Go, you can see who's playing what part.
Brian plays solo on Mona. I remember reading an interview with Keith in Rolling Stone magazine in 81 where he's asked if he still thinks of Brian. Keith said he thinks of Brian whenever they play Time Is On My Side or when he plays Brian's licks from Mona.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 2, 2005 09:43

Brian is playing the main riff on THe Last Time, I'm positive. And it is fingers not slide. Keith does play the solo though.

Date: October 2, 2005 13:09

>
> And I am also sure The Last Time is a finger riff.
> No slide. Definetly not! I am ALSO sure it's Keith
> playing it. I've read it in very reliable sources.
> It's Jagger/Richards' song. They wouldn't let
> Brian play the riff the whole song was based on.
>
>

Brian plays the riff not Keith, you can see it on performances and it doesnt even sound like Keith. Brian played a lot and he wrote parts/riffs/licks/trademarks or whatever you may call it for songs but he never got credited. Three is a crowd.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 2, 2005 14:03

For the non-believers:

I just did the chords on The Last Time. Brian's playing the main riff. I'm playing the acoustic and I also overdubbed the chords in the solo. Just passing chords.

- Keith Richards, 1997

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: October 2, 2005 18:34

On various live performances from the 60's (ie. Ed Sullivan 5/2/65, the NME Pollwinner's concert at Wembley in 5/65, Shindig, etc.), one can clearly see Brian playing the lead riff on The Last Time and doing a great job. That riff was his, he wrote it and played it. Keith does the acoustic rhythm and overdubbed solo. On It's All Over Now, Brian does the one-note 'chicken' riffs during the verse and the power chords during the chorus. As someone else said before on this thread, you can see this clearly on the live TAMI Show performance from late '64. Keith does the jangly rhythm that runs through the whole song and the overdubbed solo. It has been speculated that Brian's power chords in IAON were the first in rock history. As for fingered solos by Brian, the only one I can think of is Tell Me cause that certainly don't sound like Keith. Brian, maybe because he was very influenced by 1950's Chicago electric blues, did not care for conventional rock solos or soloing. He was more interested in playing leads than playing solos . . .

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 2, 2005 19:39

the TAMI performance was playback -
not that that means they weren't playing their own parts.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 2, 2005 19:47

One characteristic of Brian's electric guitar playing, on for example IT's All Over Now or Last Time, is his interest in harmonics, & droning effects, whereas Keith is more into syncopation & playing around the beat. Another cool one is 'Confessing the Blues', & the way they play off each other throughout, K doing his punctuations & solo as B revs up the rhythm - the players' stamps are there, but rhythm & 'lead' are somewhat insufficient descriptions... Also the rush of Suzie Q, w/ the stinging puntuation & solo (Keith?) & the distorted, aggressive "bap-bam" (Brian?)...'What A Shame", w/ the long instrumental coda has some great KR/BJ interaction, (aided & abetted by Stu). The playing on "Now" seems more detailed than on the first 2, & by "Heads" (much of it anyway) there seems to be more emphasis on crafting the tracks, more Keith overdubs (I think, not sure I even hear BJ on at least a couple) - Dec. Children seems like the last major Brian-as-guitarist album, as 'patchy' as it may seem it's incredibly vital, they're still evolving, moving towards a heavier, amphetamine-metal (She Said Yeah - who's doing what on there? - & those amazing live tracks, the fantastic slide on 'Movin' On') plus more "Mercy" style goosed up bass & feedback on the lead gtr throughout (Talkin 'Bout You), and keeping up to date w/ their version of Byrds' chiming lyricism elsewhere.

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: October 2, 2005 20:17

If the riff on The Last Time was created by Brian, what a travesty that he didn't get a co-writing credit. Even if the structure was intact before he came up with the riff, no way that song is a hit without it. It is a riff-driven song even more than Satisfaction, they should have at least made it a Nanker Phelge composition.

Date: October 2, 2005 20:51

well ... if there's reason to think Brian co-wrote The Last Time, i'd be interested in hearing it. i am cognizant that the Glimmer Twins are credit hogs, but if playing something hot makes you a co-writer, then I Wanna Be Your Man ought to be credited to Nanker/Phelge/Lennon/McCartney, and Not Fade Away to Richards/Petty/Holly.

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-02 20:56 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 2, 2005 23:19

Does Brian also play the intro to Time Is On My side?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 2, 2005 23:31

Hi sssoul,

I don't think the TAMI show was a playback. None of the songs is similar to the album versions. I haven't watched the show in quite a while but I never thought it was a playback, unlike some of the Ed Sullivan performances like Paint It Black or Let's Spend Some Time, where Mick's singing is live but they're just playing back the music.

Date: October 2, 2005 23:43

far as i know, it's playback, DGA35 - not to the album versions, obviously;
they recorded it the day before the show. see Nico's site: [www.nzentgraf.de]

1964 28th October: Santa Monica, Civic Auditorium, 'Teen Age Music International
(TAMI) Awards Show'. Recording of all tracks, except the 'Closing Jam' for the playback tape, used on 29th October.

- Keith

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: October 3, 2005 02:18

No, the TAMI show performance of IAON in '64(along with the rest of the set, which included Around and Around, TIOMS, and Off The Hook) was pure live. I've looked at the video countless times and it does not at all sound like playback. Nico has it wrong. John R., I have always believed that Brian played that soulful blues lead (left channel on stereo version) on Confessin' The Blues, while Keith played the thick rhythm chops. KR played the exact same rhythm chops on Look What You've Done and, to an extent, I Want To Be Loved (the lone guitar on those songs, with Brian playing the harp). Furthermore, I've never heard Keith play a blues lead vaguely similar to the one featured on Confessin'. That's got be Brian. After all, he was by far the best blues musician in the band at the time. Even Muddy Waters was impressed with him. The main difference between Keith and Brian as guitarists was that KR was more the rocker and BJ more the blues player. Brian's pace was less frenetic than Keith's. He was more interested in playing colorful, precise notes and riffs rather than thick, juicy chops ala Keith . . .

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 3, 2005 04:58

Funny thing about Brian playing the lick on The Last Time.
He plays it up at the 9th and 7th frets, around that area.
MOst guitarists when they try to figure it out play it at the 3rd fret area,
starting with the third string. He starts it on the fourth string,
giving a more low-end sound. See Got Live!, bootlegs, and TV shows.

Date: October 3, 2005 11:48

Yeah i noticed that too! Its open tuning right?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home