Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Columbus by Drake
Posted by: firesoldier ()
Date: September 30, 2005 03:17

Drake! I have downloaded and listened (once) to the Columbus gig. Thank you very much for sharing!

I have also followed the thread, and i´m surprised that they are all about downloadproblems etc.

I have no opinion on the recording, that´s not my bag.

But I do have an opinion on the music.

I´m a long time fan and I have been on every tour since 81/82. I love ABB.

Sad but true - I have to say that this gig (Columbus) is the worst thing I ever heard by the Stones except for "Infamy" which were nice.

You who were there - what´s your opinion on the performance?

"You have the sun, you have the moon, you have the air to breathe, you´ve got The Rolling Stones"

Re: Columbus by Drake
Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 30, 2005 03:19

I thought it was good. I enjoyed it more than their Licks performance, but maybe I just enjoyed the setlist more. I didn't see many performance problems. Mick seemed to enjoy himself as did Ronnie and Charlie. Keith could've been a bit more energenic though. But he did a good job, esp on Infamy. Shattered was awesome as well as ONNYA, SMU and She's So Cold.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 30, 2005 04:04

I'm suprised to hear anyone say they dont dig the performance. The intro to Brown Sugar is horrible, but aside from that I think the show was HOT. She's So Cold, Rough Justice, Back of My Hand, Sway, All Down The Line, Mr Pitiful, IORR, Shattered, etc... all fantastic versions. Shattered is alittle messedup, but still works. ONNYA sounds funky cause the guys at the mixing board must've been high as a kite and forgot to include Ronnie in the mix...

Overall great show, great performance, great setlist. The week off really paid off for us fans, but you're entitled to your own opinion on the performance.

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: September 30, 2005 04:06

I agree. I've been perhaps their biggest critic over the past few years, but I thought this show was hot.

At least, as hot as they can be these days.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 30, 2005 04:40

I agree with the original poster, the band does not sound too good. Even the warhorses are shaky, like JJF. And the warhorses have more energy than the "gems," which sound as if they're played to please people on this board. Sound problems, too, like having keith turned down for the intro to Satisfaction. ron's solos all go off track after a few bars. The new songs do sound pretty good.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 30, 2005 08:02

Other than the blown intro to Brown Sugar and the usual semi-train wreck that is Shattered, I think the performance kicked ass! Maybe their best performance of the tour. Firesoldier and cc, what performances from this tour do you prefer to this one (or do you hate them all)?

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: September 30, 2005 09:27

I'm only up to She's so Cold and I'm ecstatic! This is the first time on the tour that I've been able to hear everything that the guitars are doing and it's awesome. Thanks Drake for the best sounding recording to date and thanks to the Stones for still having it! What's not to like? A blown Brown Sugar opener is just Keith...sometimes he misses.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 30, 2005 09:43

Thanks Drake !!!
Excellent work from you but awful Brown Sugar indeed.
Just a question : did you think of a particular song to end CD1 or start CD2?
If so we could all use the same and make a proper artwork.

I think starting CD 2 with Miss You should be OK...

Posted by: turd ()
Date: September 30, 2005 10:18

It's great, brilliant. 'She's so cold' ends a bit abruptly, 'BS' starts a bit wonky - but really, who cares. I have to admit Ronnie is a bit all over the place in his solos, (but he always is), and even the backing singers are a bit off in places if you really want to pick holes, but so what...
If you want musical perfection, you don't go to a Rolling Stones show.
It's rock and roll, dirty and raw.

And best of all - no loud, annoying, 'honky tonk' piano ...........

Great sound Drake, superb - I bet your really chuffed and quite deservedly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-30 10:21 by turd.

Posted by: firesoldier ()
Date: September 30, 2005 12:22

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Other than the blown intro to Brown Sugar and the
> usual semi-train wreck that is Shattered, I think
> the performance kicked ass! Maybe their best
> performance of the tour. Firesoldier and cc, what
> performances from this tour do you prefer to this
> one (or do you hate them all)?

Of course I don´t hate them, as I said before I am a long time fan.
This is the only one i´ve heard so far ( thank you Drake) and I was hoping they had a bad day at work.

"You have the sun, you have the moon, you have the air to breathe, you´ve got The Rolling Stones"

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 30, 2005 21:09

ohno, I've only heard the opening night show in its entirety and a few other tracks here and there. Need to download the MSG show (my brother was at it) when I get back from this weekend (hope there are still some seeders left). I mean they don't sound much different from the Licks shows, but after listening to a few of those I lost interest. On a good recording, you hear lots of clams, and they don't always pick up much steam. think they're trying, and it must be great when you're there, but to listen... a different story. I like it loose, but powerful.

cc

Date: September 30, 2005 21:27

mixed feelings, best sound wise show, but performance is mixed, i really like sway, think it is very good, best start me up ever but shattered is one of the worst versions ever

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: September 30, 2005 22:02

Drake...I just felt that ronnie's solo was horrendous on start me up....will admit i only listened to it once so far..but I was there also and really left there feeling he's wasn't even having a good nite,much less a really good nite......just disappointed for the first time by him and columbus was my 30th show....but that doesn't mean i don't appreciate having the show on cd..thanks again....mick and keith and charlie made the show for me anyway so i'm not sorry i went by any means

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 1, 2005 01:29

I love how the Chuck isnt loud even during his solo on Honkey Tonk Women. Engineers are paying attention to someone... smiling smiley

No, I did not pic a song to end the 1st disc. For me personally I make ONNYA track 1 on disc two, but I know alot of people feel that presents the bstage in incomplete form, but I dont care. So you can do whatever you like really. I never made artwork for it but plenty of people did make fantastic artwork for it. So pick whatever you want and go with it on the break between discs. smiling smiley

As far as the recording goes, there are plenty of things I'd still like to (and will do to) it, but I think its very enjoyable as is. I laugh every time I hear myself on the recording. You can hear me talking to my dad on the phone sometime after ADTL or MrPitiful "They played Sway! They played Sway!!" I had two wiskey sours before the gig and my friends bought rounds in my honor all night so I figured I'd try to run quick during the Worst. I knew what Keith's set would be. So You hear me asking my buddy to take my jacket... Gotta love my stealth gear. (btw, they did pat me down and wand me. i got mad skillz though and nothing works better than electrical tape and a crotch. i'm just glad the female security guard didnt start grinding on me...) I made it back for Infamy but did the gear switchoff after it and before Miss You. I'll continue to work on it and someday I'll release the "remixed" version, but for now I'll let this circulate. I'm happy with it, every person who has heard it has loved it, its great. Not just the quality, but the performance. Sympathy, the openning of Brown Sugar, and a few warhorses are the only weak spots of the show. The whole thing rocks.

Seriously, if you dont like this show you really need to give it another full listen at whatever the peak volume of your stereo is. Whenever your bass starts to distort, thats where your volume knob needs to be. She's So Cold, IORR, ADTL, Sway, Mr Pitiful, Infamy, ONNYA, Shattered (messed up but still killer), etc... This show is great.

Btw, I'll give mad props to anyone who can tell me what Jagger says on IORR when he changes up the lyrics. I've deciphered a little bit. Seems like either he lost his breath, or forgot his place or something. Similar to what seemed to happen occasionally with Manish Boy on Licks.

Drake

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home