Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "It's a Lie" and other Outtakes
Posted by: ReelStone ()
Date: August 28, 2018 20:22

Mr.D
That must be the same Arthur Collins who has the legendary tapes?

Learn all about the Art Collins tapes. Trade with ReelStone.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 28, 2018 21:04

Nine out of these ten doctors recommend ReelStone for patients who trade illegal tapes of their favorite artists.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 29, 2018 01:33

Haha...Doctor ReelStone, that would be a good title for a bootleg !

retired_dog
TeddyB1018
"Misty Roads" is up there with "Yellow Cab" for me. I would like to have seen Mick finish that one up with the others.

There is one more good album in the SG sessions, not more, no less. "Misty Roads" definitely belongs on there.Along with the best tracks from SG Deluxe and "Fiji Gin", "A Different Kind", "I Need You" plus a few others, opening up the time frame a bit, for example "My First Plea" or "It Won't Belong".

"A Different Kind" would need a melody and lyrics, more work for Mick...I'm not sure he's interested in doing that again. I suppose "Everlasting Is My Love" (incidentally the title under which "A Different Kind" was known as for a long time and I spent hours trying to spot that lyric, hehe...) is in a better shape but possibly a bit repetitive. Since there'll likely never be an "ER Deluxe" they could ding in there too, "Gangster's Moll" (reworked several times, by Mick in 1987 and by the Stones in 1989), "Dancing Girls", ah and what about "Disco Music" as a bonus ?!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 29, 2018 01:55

The thing with "Gangster's Moll" (much as I like it) is the EMOTIONAL RESCUE outtake is a kissing cousin of "No Spare Parts." There isn't really nostalgia for the Stones' 1980s recordings so I can't see the PRIMITIVE COOL / STEEL WHEELS version(s) surfacing unless they replace those very dated keyboards.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 30, 2018 21:47

I need you certainly is a gem.
Jeroen

Date: August 31, 2018 03:06

Rocky Dijon
The thing with "Gangster's Moll" (much as I like it) is the EMOTIONAL RESCUE outtake is a kissing cousin of "No Spare Parts." There isn't really nostalgia for the Stones' 1980s recordings so I can't see the PRIMITIVE COOL / STEEL WHEELS version(s) surfacing unless they replace those very dated keyboards.

Interesting, I've always had a soft spot for GM (maybe because it was on that great Lonely at The Top bootleg) and not so much for NSP but I'll have to give them a listen back to back. Yeah the PC version of GM is pretty poor, can't comment on the SW versions though unfortunately, I know it circulates though as it was once reviewed in Sticky Fingers Magazine...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 31, 2018 15:33

ReelStone
Mr.D

Sure but how can a man who resigned from the head of RS Records in July of 1982 could have cassettes of UC sessions which took place late 1982..?

Me, no comprendo...

Date: August 31, 2018 15:52

dcba
ReelStone
Mr.D

Sure but how can a man who resigned from the head of RS Records in July of 1982 could have cassettes of UC sessions which took place late 1982..?

Me, no comprendo...

He pressed rec early and was in possession of extremely long tapes?

Date: August 31, 2018 16:46

Or he sneaked in the Pathé Marconi studios dressed as a janitor with a big moustache?
The plot thickens...

Date: August 31, 2018 16:48

dcba
ReelStone
Mr.D

Me, no comprendo...

Didn't Earl McGrath resign in 1982? I thought Art Collins stayed through 1984. Pretty sure Bill German talks about him in Beggar Banquet Volume 2, Number 2 when covering the video shoots for "She Was Hot" and "Too Much Blood."

Date: August 31, 2018 16:54

gotdablouse

Interesting, I've always had a soft spot for GM (maybe because it was on that great Lonely at The Top bootleg) and not so much for NSP but I'll have to give them a listen back to back. Yeah the PC version of GM is pretty poor, can't comment on the SW versions though unfortunately, I know it circulates though as it was once reviewed in Sticky Fingers Magazine...

Agreed about the Lonely at the Top bootleg. It meant a great deal to me for a number of years. I like Mick's more finished lyrics for "Gangster's Moll" from PRIMITIVE COOL. I referred to it as the PRIMITIVE COOL/STEEL WHEELS version(s) because the only time I heard the STEEL WHEELS outtake, it was the PRIMITIVE COOL version. Much like "I'm Ringing" (the flip side of "Ruthless People") circulates as "I Need Your Love" as an alleged DIRTY WORK outtake. Not saying they didn't cut it for STEEL WHEELS, but at least one "insider" circulating material didn't know the difference.

We could always ask ReelStone...

Why go to the grocery store and buy food when you can always trade your uncirculating treasures for food from ReelStone?

Date: August 31, 2018 19:41

Rocky Dijon
I thought Art Collins stayed through 1984. Pretty sure Bill German talks about him in Beggar Banquet Volume 2, Number 2 when covering the video shoots for "She Was Hot" and "Too Much Blood."

Okay then why the "Foxes In The Boxes" torrents (supposedly taken from the "Art Collins" archives) include some 1985 studio material?

Me no comprendo...

Date: August 31, 2018 21:30

Interesting. I don't believe Art carried on after the Atlantic/EMI contract ended. Doesn't mean he didn't have a friend within the organization who still shared tapes. He was concentrating on Iggy Pop at that time I believe. Much like Earl McGrath's gallery, I'm pretty sure Art was juggling roles while working for the band. It can't have been a full-time gig even then.

Date: September 1, 2018 14:48

Rocky Dijon
gotdablouse

Agreed about the Lonely at the Top bootleg. It meant a great deal to me for a number of years. I like Mick's more finished lyrics for "Gangster's Moll" from PRIMITIVE COOL. I referred to it as the PRIMITIVE COOL/STEEL WHEELS version(s) because the only time I heard the STEEL WHEELS outtake, it was the PRIMITIVE COOL version. Much like "I'm Ringing" (the flip side of "Ruthless People") circulates as "I Need Your Love" as an alleged DIRTY WORK outtake. Not saying they didn't cut it for STEEL WHEELS, but at least one "insider" circulating material didn't know the difference.

We could always ask ReelStone...

Why go to the grocery store and buy food when you can always trade your uncirculating treasures for food from ReelStone?

Yeah, where's Doctor ReelStone when you need him ! He's made many outlandish claims about unreleased tracks but I haven't seen him boast about the Steel Wheels sessions ?

About "Gangster's Moll" I did get a chance to ask the fan who'd written the review in SFM after sending him the PC/Jeff Beck version he wasn't aware of and he said it was a different version...not that he took that opportunity to share it with me so I can't comment on that. Apparently it was a lo-fi snippet that a guy in New-York (Videojames/Karnbach maybe ?) used to share in the pre-internet days with the "trading circles"...

Anyway I see your point about GM and NSP being cousins, but to my ears NSP has more of a country feel and lacks the minor chords of GM. In fact "Giving it Up" could be some kind of rework of GM maybe...well hopefully we'll be able to hear more of these sessions one day ;-)

--------------

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home