Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Steve Perry
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 21, 2018 23:33

I see he has a new album coming out. Saw the vid for No Erasing on Youtube, sounds pretty good. His voice also still sounds pretty good.
I'm not a huge Journey fan, just have their Greatest Hits album. If he tours and comes to town I might go and see him. Journey is coming with Def Leppard in a couple months but I don't really want to see them, having just seen Leppard last year.
I know Steve has been very complimentary to Journey and their new singer but who knows, maybe a big reunion tour eventually?

Re: OT: Steve Perry
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 22, 2018 02:54

My friend is a huge Journey fan and has taken me to several of their shows, once with Steve Augeri, once with Jeff Scott Soto and once with Arnel Pineda.

I can't believe Perry is almost 70. Time sure does fly.

He sounds good...definitely aged and a little worn in places, but that's to be expected. There's no way he'll ever be able to sing those Journey songs again, and that's okay. It's just good to see him back and happy.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 22, 2018 05:10

keefriff99
My friend is a huge Journey fan and has taken me to several of their shows, once with Steve Augeri, once with Jeff Scott Soto and once with Arnel Pineda.

He sounds good...definitely aged and a little worn in places, but that's to be expected. There's no way he'll ever be able to sing those Journey songs again, and that's okay. It's just good to see him back and happy.

I think I'm he can do Journey songs good.

Date: August 22, 2018 05:11

babyblue
keefriff99

I think he can do Journey songs bery good..

Date: August 22, 2018 05:19

keefriff99

I'm sure if they play in a bit lower key he could handle it? Was Arnel the guy they found on Youtube doing Journey karaoke?

Date: August 22, 2018 05:36

DGA35
keefriff99

I'm sure if they play in a bit lower key he could handle it? Was Arnel the guy they found on Youtube doing Journey karaoke?
Yeah, that's Arnel.

I just don't think he could deliver the songs in the way he'd want to be able to based on recent interviews. Wheel in the Sky, Any Way You Want It, Don't Stop Believing...those are some of the most challenging vocals in hard rock, and he's been out of the game over 20 years.

smoking smileyRe: OT: Steve Perry
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 22, 2018 13:36

I was given tickets to see him sans(1994) Journey and let me tell he put in a fine performance . One cool thing from the show was his Tuxedo Tails jacket like he wore during his journey days was lowered down from the rafters and he then puts it on and belted out some classic Journey tunes . We always seen a lot of Journey Shows as they would always play our neck of the woods in the summertime at my least favorite shed and they always delivered the goods and performed really good . Good Times for sure .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 22, 2018 14:34

Saw Steve with Journey twice. Great vocals, obviously. Only negative was too many of Neal's extended solos. Great to have Steve back on the scene.

I think he can still do a great job singing the Journey songs.

Date: August 23, 2018 05:37

Elmo Lewis
Saw Steve with Journey twice. Great vocals, obviously. Only negative was too many of Neal's extended solos. Great to have Steve back on the scene.

I think he can still do a great job singing the Journey songs.

Only saw Journey with Perry once in 1981 opening for Stones in Buffalo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 05:38 by babyblue.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 23, 2018 21:19

why have i hated this guy's work? He's got a massive and soaring facility.
His tone is his, he doesn't sound like a million other singers of rock.
the prodcution is good; his songs have soundtracked effectively and all that.
i don't know exactly; i think when they came out I sort of never 'got there' w them somehow. i know they are good players.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 21:38

I won tickets from being the 3rd caller on a local FM station to see Journey at the Old Waldorf in San Francisco. I was a teenager in 1977 and a big Journey fan- they were local Bay Area band on the rise. The venue held like 500 - 600 people. The band comes on and out comes this dude all in white. It was the first time he performed with them and I hated their new "pop" sound. I'm like, what happened? But, they knew what they were doing because that 1st album with him on vocals became a smash hit and the band went on to make a lot of money.

Date: August 23, 2018 21:50

hopkins
i don't know exactly; i think when they came out I sort of never 'got there' w them somehow. i know they are good players.
They're an excellent group of musicians, but they developed a reputation for being a wimpy, cheesy chick band because of all their ballads.

Date: August 23, 2018 22:01

keefriff99
hopkins
They're an excellent group of musicians, but they developed a reputation for being a wimpy, cheesy chick band because of all their ballads.

True, but they had Aynsley Dunbar on drums back in the 70's! Love his drumming on the Whitesnake 87 album, especially Here I Go Again and Still Of The Night! Got to hand it to Coverdale, he's had some great drummers throughout Whitesnake's history including Ian Paice, Cozy Powell and Tommy Aldridge!

Date: August 23, 2018 22:04

DGA35
keefriff99
hopkins

True, but they had Aynsley Dunbar on drums back in the 70's! Love his drumming on the Whitesnake 87 album, especially Here I Go Again and Still Of The Night! Got to hand it to Coverdale, he's had some great drummers throughout Whitesnake's history including Ian Paice, Cozy Powell and Tommy Aldridge!
Not to mention Steve Smith, one of the greatest drummers in history. He came back a couple of years ago after Deen Castronovo had to step away due to drug issues.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 22:06

DGA35
keefriff99
hopkins

Ansley is a great drummer

Date: August 27, 2018 06:10

Just heard the single from new CD.Hes still got it...sporting a new look.Am a big fan but I prefer Steve Perry.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-27 06:12 by babyblue.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 27, 2018 11:16

Dude's still got a great voice, but the music...dunno, sounds like the 80s at their worst/corniest/muzakiest really, stuff for immediate consumption.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 27, 2018 17:51

Stones726
DGA35
keefriff99
hopkins

Ansley is a great drummer

yes he is. very underrated

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 27, 2018 20:41

gotdablouse
Dude's still got a great voice, but the music...dunno, sounds like the 80s at their worst/corniest/muzakiest really, stuff for immediate consumption.

Yeah...thought the same.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 28, 2018 12:07

i saw the original journey open for lynyrd skynyrd (with ronnie van zandt) way back when. there was another band, all for $6. really liked that journey. when they came back a year later opening for ELP on the ill fated orchestra tour they had steve. didn't really care for the change at the time. some of the material with him has grown on me in recent years. i still like greg rolie as a singer though.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 28, 2018 18:11

Isn't the current lineup of Journey pretty much the entire original band minus Perry?

Why did they part ways and why is Perry not reunited with the band?

Date: August 28, 2018 19:52

The Sicilian
Isn't the current lineup of Journey pretty much the entire original band minus Perry?

Why did they part ways and why is Perry not reunited with the band?

its the entire classic lineup minus perry. the most famous lineup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home