Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Tour Announcement?
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 2, 2018 01:06

frankotero
Hmm, this is an interesting take on complaining/whining online. I can believe it. Thanks for posting this tidbit about humanity.
smoking smiley My pleasure, but all credit to Jim Jefferies (it is a true story that I really heard that last night on his TV show... that is if I understood it correctly).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2018 01:19

frankotero
Hmm, this is an interesting take on complaining/whining online. I can believe it. Thanks for posting this tidbit about humanity.

I wonder what the studies say about those who spend alot of time whining and complaining about others who supposedly whine and complain.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 2, 2018 01:43

Is the glass half full or half empty? There's no end to it. Anyhow, I like to know as much as I can about life for some reason. I remember Keith said onstage at SARS (Toronto 2003) that "we're all here for strange reasons" or something like that. Really struck me in a good way.

Date: August 2, 2018 02:20

Hairball
frankotero

I wonder what the studies say about those who spend alot of time whining and complaining about others who supposedly whine and complain.

They might do a study when that type of complaining reaches 5-10% of the level of whining and complaining people like you do about The Rolling Stones as you spend every waking hour everyday nonstop day after day posting here about a band you whine and complain about everything from set lists to ticket prices to new albums... to everything.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 2, 2018 02:21

Leonioid
If anyone thinks money spent on the Stones is wasting it... then I ask again... why keep posting to a Stones fan site?

The high percentage of unhappy people constantly complaining here is a head scratchier for me.

But then again...
I was watching Jim Jefferies weekly CC TV show last night and although I did not get it all he said something about the reason many people who go online mainly to whine cry bitch and complain (never offering a good or positive comment about anything) is because it (somehow) releases dopamine in to their brains as they type the nasty words... giving them some kind of pleasure. Now that does not make sense to me.... but Jim said it... and I think he was quoting some study... or something... but at least it (maybe) explains (a bit) why the whiners whine so much and so often.

With that said .... That Jim Jefferies guy is fkg HILARIOUS! I have been a fan of that Aussie for a long time. I didn't care for his agenda (propaganda) driven TV show (I guess it was OK... it gave me that clue about why online whiners why)... but his current Netflix comedy special was much better, it gave me some laughs.

No-one’s whining. I saw 16 shows out of 28 on No Filter. I enjoyed them all apart from one. I have plenty positive to say thank you very much but I am only willing to see the band at a price that suits me and Lucky Dips are just the job. I paid full price for 5 shows and LD’d the other 11. Of those 11, 8 were between good and excellent, 2 ok and 1 poor. I got upgrades on 3 of them. No complaints at all and it’s been fun.

Another good route, described very well by Hairball above is to wait until the last minute, let the ticket touts panic and get yourself a bargain, with them taking a big loss. I did that for O2 show 1 in London in 2012. I travelled ticketless on Show day, set myself a strict budget of £100 and waited for the prices to drop to that level before buying one.

So no-one’s whinging. We’re all on the site because we love the band but some of us will only do so at a price acceptable to us. That is not whinging - it’s pragmatism.

Date: August 2, 2018 02:22

If the whiners were not posting is every thread, everyday, day after day... it would be easier to ignore... but these people spam every thread

Date: August 2, 2018 02:29

Leonioid
If the whiners were not posting is every thread, everyday, day after day... it would be easier to ignore... but these people spam every thread

Really? Who’s whining. Certainly not me. 11 shows in 2 months and glad I did it, especially all 8 in my And the band’s native U.K.

You appear to have a somewhat OTT definition of what constitutes a ‘whiner’. Is it someone who doesn’t absolutely worship everything and anything the band do?

Date: August 2, 2018 02:34

grzegorz67
Leonioid

Really? Who’s whining. Certainly not me. 11 shows in 2 months and glad I did it, especially all 8 in my And the band’s native U.K.

You appear to have a somewhat OTT definition of what constitutes a ‘whiner’. Is it someone who doesn’t absolutely worship everything and anything the band do?

As much as you like to harp on my posts,
at the moment I would not count you as who I am talking about in the serial whiners here.

Date: August 2, 2018 04:30

frankotero
Is the glass half full or half empty? There's no end to it. Anyhow, I like to know as much as I can about life for some reason. I remember Keith said onstage at SARS (Toronto 2003) that "we're all here for strange reasons" or something like that. Really struck me in a good way.

Considering these "studies" come from a comedian, and it's not even clear if this is what actually he said, I wouldn't take it all to too seriously. As for Keith Richards quotes, yes he's full of wisdom.

As for those who spend alot of their time whining and complaining about others who supposedly whine and complain, I think they're on some sort of power trip and/or have an identity crisis as they strive to be a moderator on a site they have nothing to do with, and on a site that already has one who happens to be the founder- the one and only bv. Yet these wanna be moderators seemingly go out of their way to sniff out so-called "whiners" searching through every thread as if they're doing favors to the site. They even exaggerate and lie, claiming these so-called whiners "spend every waking hour everyday nonstop day after day posting here about a band you whine and complain about everything from set lists to ticket prices to new albums... to everything" All they see are posts that disturb them for some odd reason, and ignore the majority of everything else that particular person posts. The irony is that in some of these cases, these wanna-be moderators have been banned multiple times in the past, and have visions of a "ban brigade" that are out to get them. Maybe they think they can win points with the true moderator by policing the site, but in reality they're just making themselves look silly.

grzegorz67
I saw 16 shows out of 28 on No Filter. I enjoyed them all apart from one. I have plenty positive to say thank you very much but I am only willing to see the band at a price that suits me and Lucky Dips are just the job. I paid full price for 5 shows and LD’d the other 11. Of those 11, 8 were between good and excellent, 2 ok and 1 poor. I got upgrades on 3 of them. No complaints at all and it’s been fun.

Another good route, described very well by Hairball above is to wait until the last minute, let the ticket touts panic and get yourself a bargain, with them taking a big loss. I did that for O2 show 1 in London in 2012. I travelled ticketless on Show day, set myself a strict budget of £100 and waited for the prices to drop to that level before buying one.

So no-one’s whinging. We’re all on the site because we love the band but some of us will only do so at a price acceptable to us. That is not whinging - it’s pragmatism.

Cheers grzegorz67 - you're a wise person. thumbs up

It's clear that most us of don't worship everything single thing about the band, and are able to discuss the pros and cons without flipping out and going on a rampage if we disagree with someone.

As bv so clearly said: "I think humans should be able to accept different opinions whithout acting like cats fighting for territory".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 04:33 by Hairball.

Date: August 2, 2018 05:49

Hairball
As for those who spend alot of their time whining and complaining about others who supposedly whine and complain, I think they're on some sort of power trip and/or have an identity crisis as they strive to be a moderator on a site they have nothing to do with, and on a site that already has one who happens to be the founder- the one and only bv. Yet these wanna be moderators seemingly go out of their way to sniff out so-called "whiners" searching through every thread as if they're doing favors to the site. They even exaggerate and lie, claiming these so-called whiners "spend every waking hour everyday nonstop day after day posting here about a band you whine and complain about everything from set lists to ticket prices to new albums... to everything" All they see are posts that disturb them for some odd reason, and ignore the majority of everything else that particular person posts. The irony is that in some of these cases, these wanna-be moderators have been banned multiple times in the past, and have visions of a "ban brigade" that are out to get them. Maybe they think they can win points with the true moderator by policing the site, but in reality they're just making themselves look silly.

sniff out? ?? Search ??

It takes no searching to see all of your negative whining posts... you post in every thread... every day... all day...

Long ago I started ignoring constant insulting of this band... I do my best to avoid your crap... but it is impossible.... you spam EVERY thread with your constant bashing of this band.

And then you start to psychoanalyze why I would comment on how old your crap gets? It is not a deep issue.... it is your constant crying everywhere....

It is not about points it is about wondering why you keep posting here when ALL YOU EVER DO IS WHINE AND CRY AND COMPLAIN about everything the band does.

Maybe it is you on some sort of power trip and/or have an identity crisis feeling so bad about yourself that you constantly bash The Rolling Stones to try to make your feel better?

Date: August 2, 2018 05:52

Delusional.

Date: August 2, 2018 05:59

Hairball
Delusional.

Hmmm... maybe... lets look...

Nope it is not delusion... it is facts.

Look over your own posts, your so many many posts per day... all day... everyday and most are you complaining about one thing or another, nit picking, bashing, complaining, hogging the board to whine... it is not simply voicing an opinion... it is constant bashing of The Rolling Stones. And when you spam EVERY thread, try as I have, your crap is everywhere, it hard to ignore.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 2, 2018 10:19

Leonioid

Sorry, but this is simply not true! As much as I love the Rolling Stones - and I am simply thrilled by many records and live recordings - I do have a critical point of view. That's most important for the band as well, and I am quite sure that they read this board very carefully (even if they do not follow any suggestion).

Why do I have to be fond of everything they do? Should I praise Keith's erratic guitar solos on SFTD during some of the concerts on the first leg of the No Filter tour? Am I not allowed to ask why they could not play just a few new songs on the second leg? I do not think that 'Let's be glad they are still around' is an excuse for everything even if we can be happy about it.

Back in 2006 I attended the convert at Stuttgart. As perfect as it was technically and as unbelievably fit Mick Jagger ran around, I still missed one or two ballads during a set that rocked and rocked on. I missed a touching Moment because I love their ballads (besides the hits, of course). For me backin 1982, Time is on my side was a highlight of the show. Am I a whiner when I say this?

Forme, being a Stones fan is not being a fanatic but living with a band for over 40 years with ist ups and downs. They need our critizism as much as they need our adoration. It's as simple as that.

Date: August 2, 2018 10:38

saltoftheearth
Leonioid

Sorry, but this is simply not true! As much as I love the Rolling Stones - and I am simply thrilled by many records and live recordings - I do have a critical point of view. That's most important for the band as well, and I am quite sure that they read this board very carefully (even if they do not follow any suggestion).

Why do I have to be fond of everything they do? Should I praise Keith's erratic guitar solos on SFTD during some of the concerts on the first leg of the No Filter tour? Am I not allowed to ask why they could not play just a few new songs on the second leg? I do not think that 'Let's be glad they are still around' is an excuse for everything even if we can be happy about it.

Back in 2006 I attended the convert at Stuttgart. As perfect as it was technically and as unbelievably fit Mick Jagger ran around, I still missed one or two ballads during a set that rocked and rocked on. I missed a touching Moment because I love their ballads (besides the hits, of course). For me backin 1982, Time is on my side was a highlight of the show. Am I a whiner when I say this?

Forme, being a Stones fan is not being a fanatic but living with a band for over 40 years with ist ups and downs. They need our critizism as much as they need our adoration. It's as simple as that.

Sir, or Madam... I have never noticed you posting before, that is a good thing, I bet you have not noticed me either... also a good thing.

I have no problems or issues with (and barely notice) most posters... no matter what they say.... bash on the Stones, praise them... do whatever. Pleanty of people bash on them here... and that is fine.

I dont mind people bashing on them... what I have is an issue with people who post 25-30-50 times EVERY DAY, IN EVERY THREAD, NON STOP BASHING THEM... and it is always always the same old crap... saying the same old things over and over. That is not organic, there is something else going there. It is weird.

I looked at you post history and you post a normal amount...
I did not look at what you had to say... but even if it all bashing on them in all of your posts, you do not do it enough to ruin threads.... you do not SPAM every thread with negativity like some people do.

Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: August 2, 2018 11:01

If it pans out that it will be North America in 2019, any idea of the likely cost for a Pit Ticket? Already trying to work out a budget

Date: August 2, 2018 11:21

glimmertwinz
If it pans out that it will be North America in 2019, any idea of the likely cost for a Pit Ticket? Already trying to work out a budget

If they continue with the No Filter Stage, as seems likely, I don’t think there will be a Pit as such. I think the whole floor will be seated, including the area occupied by the No Filter Pit this year and last. Whole Floor seating has been the norm in North America for about 30 years.

I asked about this on another thread and it seems that the disaster at the Who show in Cincinnati in 1979 had a profound effect on the whole industry.

I’m pretty sure A seat in the Pit Area will cost you well into the high hundreds in the US.

Date: August 2, 2018 11:41

"what I have is an issue with people who post 25-30-50 times EVERY DAY, IN EVERY THREAD, NON STOP BASHING THEM"

Good lord that's alot of posting, but can't recall anyone who posts that much, or of anyone who non-stop bashes them every day in every thread -quite an unrealistic exaggeration!
But by focusing solely on what you perceive as negatives (and magnifying it in your mind), it seems more of a reflection of your own peculiar outlook on things, and if it's such an issue for you, maybe you need a break?

But back on topic:

grzegorz67
glimmertwinz

If they continue with the No Filter Stage, as seems likely, I don’t think there will be a Pit as such. I think the whole floor will be seated, including the area occupied by the No Filter Pit this year and last. Whole Floor seating has been the norm in North America for about 30 years.

I asked about this on another thread and it seems that the disaster at the Who show in Cincinnati in 1979 had a profound effect on the whole industry.

I’m pretty sure A seat in the Pit Area will cost you well into the high hundreds in the US.

Yes it will cost very much - probably close to $1,000. While there probably won't be a standing Pit section unfortunately, some concerts are getting back to that format in the US. For example, Neil Young at the L.A. Forum had a standing Pit section several years ago, and the Desert Trip shows also had a standing Pit section. All went smoothly with those, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of concerts in the US that have standing PIT sections. You'd think the Stones would want standing Pit as they can fit more people in there while making more money in the process, but maybe it's a decision that's made by specific venues? Or maybe it's regulated depending on which state?

edit: Also, the recent Arroyo Seco Festival in Pasadena had general admission. No actual Pit section, but standing GA everywhere with three separate stages. They did have an expensive VIP section off to the side of the main stage, but heard people were complaining due to the high prices and poor set up of the area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 11:48 by Hairball.

Date: August 2, 2018 12:25

Hairball
"what I have is an issue with people who post 25-30-50 times EVERY DAY, IN EVERY THREAD, NON STOP BASHING THEM"

Good lord that's alot of posting, but can't recall anyone who posts that much, or of anyone who non-stop bashes them every day in every thread -quite an unrealistic exaggeration!
But by focusing solely on what you perceive as negatives (and magnifying it in your mind), it seems more of a reflection of your own peculiar outlook on things, and if it's such an issue for you, maybe you need a break?

But back on topic:

grzegorz67
glimmertwinz

Yes it will cost very much - probably close to $1,000. While there probably won't be a standing Pit section unfortunately, some concerts are getting back to that format in the US. For example, Neil Young at the L.A. Forum had a standing Pit section several years ago, and the Desert Trip shows also had a standing Pit section. All went smoothly with those, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of concerts in the US that have standing PIT sections. You'd think the Stones would want standing Pit as they can fit more people in there while making more money in the process, but maybe it's a decision that's made by specific venues? Or maybe it's regulated depending on which state?

edit: Also, the recent Arroyo Seco Festival in Pasadena had general admission. No actual Pit section, but standing GA everywhere with three separate stages. They did have an expensive VIP section off to the side of the main stage, but heard people were complaining due to the high prices and poor set up of the area.

They seem to make an exception for Festival/Field shows as opposed to Stadium shows. 3 I can think of in the last 15 years are Zilker Park (2006), Indianapolis (2015) and Desert Trip (2016). I can't think of any stadium shows with GA and I think they'll repeat this next year (if it happens).

Over the border into Canada they had standing at SARS 2003 and Quebec 2015 - both field shows.

But these are exceptions. All of the things that led to the Cincinatti disaster of 1979 can be prevented by the use of floor sectors and better security. But as US Stones audiences tend to be older and richer and floor seating makes more money than standing, I think it will be all seats on the floor once again in all stadiums.

Date: August 2, 2018 12:47

grzegorz67
They seem to make an exception for Festival/Field shows as opposed to Stadium shows. 3 I can think of in the last 15 years are Zilker Park (2006), Indianapolis (2015) and Desert Trip (2016). I can't think of any stadium shows with GA and I think they'll repeat this next year (if it happens).

Over the border into Canada they had standing at SARS 2003 and Quebec 2015 - both field shows.

But these are exceptions. All of the things that led to the Cincinatti disaster of 1979 can be prevented by the use of floor sectors and better security. But as US Stones audiences tend to be older and richer and floor seating makes more money than standing, I think it will be all seats on the floor once again in all stadiums.

Now that you mention it, I can't think of any stadium shows in the US that have had standing in decades. They could pull it off as you say with floor sectors and better security, and the irony is that even though there are seats in these stadium shows, 99& of the people stand the whole time anyways. I remember the Voodoo Lounge tour at the Pasadena Rose Bowl, and everyone was actually standing on the seats themselves! And the fairly recent Zip Code show in San Diego - standing only and the rows of chairs were nothing but a nuisance. Makes me yearn for the good old days of the '81 tour where the entire L.A. Coliseum was GA first come first serve and all tickets were the same price - all under $20.00.

Date: August 2, 2018 12:57

Hairball
grzegorz67

Now that you mention it, I can't think of any stadium shows in the US that have had standing in decades. They could pull it off as you say with floor sectors and better security, and the irony is that even though there are seats in these stadium shows, 99& of the people stand the whole time anyways. I remember the Voodoo Lounge tour at the Pasadena Rose Bowl, and everyone was actually standing on the seats themselves! And the fairly recent Zip Code show in San Diego - standing only and the rows of chairs were nothing but a nuisance. Makes me yearn for the good old days of the '81 tour where the entire L.A. Coliseum was GA first come first serve and all tickets were the same price - all under $20.00.

I do too eye rolling smiley. With the addition of a Gold Circle for those who turn up early enough rather than by paying ££££$$$$$$000. Back in those days it was whole floor GA (with no GC) 1st come 1st served all over the World. In some cases, probably quite dangerous if we're honest. I'm 51 and caught the tail end of that era. Urban Jungle 1990 was whole floor GA with no GC and so too Voodoo Lounge shows in UK/Europe 1995-99. There was GC at some shows, available by turning up early. Imho, creating a GC Section with a finite capacity stops 90+% of the problems because the morons who turn up late and drunk, cause trouble and try to push their way to the front know that they can only get so far forward.

But to go straight from whole floor GA to the other extreme - whole floor seating seems an unnecessary over-reaction to me. There are points on the dial in between which offer a safe solution while retaining the atmosphere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 13:33 by grzegorz67.

Date: August 2, 2018 15:38

saltoftheearth
Leonioid

Missed this one. Very well said.

To praise all is to praise none.

IMHO, it's very unhealthy to unconditionally eulogise anything or anyone in life, for both eulogiser and eulogisee.

Always remember, a pat on the back is less than 3 feet away from a boot up the ar*e, as it always should be winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 15:40 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 2, 2018 21:28

Hairball
Now that you mention it, I can't think of any stadium shows in the US that have had standing in decades.

Springsteen.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 2, 2018 21:51

The tour next year will probably be like all other tours. I remember paying $300 every night to be on the floor by the B-stage during the three MSG shows in Jan 1998. Twentyone years on next year and I am sure it will not be much cheaper.

If you are on a budget then Lucky Dip is the best bet. You may get a bad ticket but also you get great tickets some times worth ten times what you paid. You are in the house and you see and hear the show, so no worries.

If you have money to spare and want to be front row then start saving up, it will not be cheap. In Europe pit cost something like $700 i.e, 600 Euro, can't remember exact proce, as some where cheaper than others, but for the US it will be more. The rest of the house will be cheaper, so it is all a matter of budgets.

If you want to see many show then you must start working now, or even before now, both on budgets, on preparing family and friends, no more costy holidays for a while, no dining out, simply focus on the next tour. It is all a matter of priority.

Bjornulf

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 2, 2018 21:55

bye bye johnny
Hairball
Now that you mention it, I can't think of any stadium shows in the US that have had standing in decades.

Springsteen.
Springsteen, U2, Metallica...just three standing stadium shows I've been to in the last few years.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: August 2, 2018 22:02

It's too bad Shidoobee is on life support. I spent 18 years on that board and never saw the kind of toxic and adversarial arguments there that seem to be so prevalent here. I just don't see why some people can't be more civil in their debates with others. Sad sad sad

Date: August 2, 2018 22:03

keefriff99
bye bye johnny
Hairball

Springsteen.
Springsteen, U2, Metallica...just three standing stadium shows I've been to in the last few years.

Good to know, and maybe there's hope the Stones will follow suit and get rid of all the unnecessary chairs for the upcoming tour.
If people really need a seat for whatever reason, there's plenty of them available off of the field.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: August 2, 2018 22:06

Damn, my life has come to this: plan trips to the US according to the timing of of Rolling Stones and Van Halen shows! (never seen the latter but will travel for them nowadays)

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 2, 2018 22:19

Van Halen and shows seems mutually exclusive. Their own website hasn't been updated since 2015.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 2, 2018 22:36

Hairball
keefriff99
bye bye johnny
Hairball

Springsteen.

Good to know, and maybe there's hope the Stones will follow suit and get rid of all the unnecessary chairs for the upcoming tour.
If people really need a seat for whatever reason, there's plenty of them available off of the field.

Don't count on the Stones following suit. I think the lack of GA concerts in the US (probably) has something to do w/ insurance costs. Probably costs more for GA insurance-wise....especially b/c over here in the US we love to sue anybody and everybody for everything. Some old geezer dies of heat-stroke in the GA pit and his family will blame it on the venue, the Stones and anybody else they can think of...the lawyers don't give a s__t if the case is valid or not...sue, sue, sue.

Stones will probably say "why pay more for insurance if we don't have to?"

Sad, but true....to reference Metallica.

Disclaimer: No idea if any of this is true, just speculating.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 2, 2018 22:51

stickyfingers101
Hairball
keefriff99
bye bye johnny
Hairball

Springsteen.

Don't count on the Stones following suit. I think the lack of GA concerts in the US (probably) has something to do w/ insurance costs. Probably costs more for GA insurance-wise....especially b/c over here in the US we love to sue anybody and everybody for everything. Some old geezer dies of heat-stroke in the GA pit and his family will blame it on the venue, the Stones and anybody else they can think of...the lawyers don't give a s__t if the case is valid or not...sue, sue, sue.

Stones will probably say "why pay more for insurance if we don't have to?"

Sad, but true....to reference Metallica.

Disclaimer: No idea if any of this is true, just speculating.

*very interesting (and horrid/ sue sue sue people).
But, a folding chair is okay to heat stroke out?
Oh dear I am morbidly small giggle San Diego Zip story guy takes his gal first Stones show, and somebody DID pass away next to them (I’m sorry)
they were in seated....
ambulance medics came removed body

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-02 22:52 by 35love.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home