Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Bigger Bang shows where the band was on fire.
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 21, 2018 20:40

Forgot to say every time Keith blasts one of his intros or riffs and plays rhythms to PIB, SMU , BS, JJF, Bitch, SFM, GS, SFTD or Satisfaction it puts shivers down my spine, every time he gets a solo right, every time he plays acoustic or sings a ballad Keith leaves me in awe, every time Ronnie hits a solo, every time Keith or Ronnie play something differently to how they played it before puts shivers down my spine, the way they weave together on Shelter or Beast Of Burden and countless others
What a band, when Mick gets really into it with the band or starts fan-dancing and Charlie produces one of those mega Watt grins, this band is on fire so often its hard to single anything out, but i will go with the Stones Live "Let Spend The Night Together" video, when they started with Under My Thumb and LSTNT.
To this day i still get goose bumps watching it or hearing it on the Still Life album. No Bigger Bang show comes remotely close imo, but what stands out to me on A Bigger Bang was the way they played She Was Hot and She's So Cold , thought they did a fantastic job on those two. Should have kept them as new Warhorses, everyone knows them and loves them.

UMT 81'
[www.youtube.com]
LSTNT 81'
[www.youtube.com]
She Was Hot 06'
[www.youtube.com]
Shes So Cold 06'
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 21:09 by keithsman.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 21, 2018 20:42

Yes Lorenz, it was really hot - I was in Belgrade.

You're welcome; that "Love is strong" from Brno was available long time ago.
Here is something that wasn't, though; I have three short 4 minute pro-short clips from Budva, Belgrade & Budapest that were given to TV stations - no journalist voice-overs.
This thread seems a nice place to debute them after 11 years.

Budva, 9 july (Keith with moustache for the last time): [www.youtube.com]

Belgrade, 14 july (Keith shaven): [www.youtube.com]

Budapest, 20 july: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 22, 2018 01:01

Milan
Yes Lorenz, it was really hot - I was in Belgrade.

You're welcome; that "Love is strong" from Brno was available long time ago.
Here is something that wasn't, though; I have three short 4 minute pro-short clips from Budva, Belgrade & Budapest that were given to TV stations - no journalist voice-overs.
This thread seems a nice place to debute them after 11 years.

Budva, 9 july (Keith with moustache for the last time): [www.youtube.com]

Belgrade, 14 july (Keith shaven): [www.youtube.com]

Budapest, 20 july: [www.youtube.com]

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Funny how Mick is saying "that's the first hurdle over" right after addressing the audience in Serbian grinning smiley

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 22, 2018 01:31

The bootlegs I enjoy from this tour are:

Boston 2005 first night - great atmosphere
Hartford 2005
Tokyo Dome 2006 both shows
Werchther, Nijmegen and Paris 2007 released by Rattlesnake.

Very fun tour I must say.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 22, 2018 12:28

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman

Isn't Nijmegen regarded as their nadir, perhaps together with Werchter?

Nadir? The Werchter show was great, which is evident in this video: video: [www.youtube.com]. The shows I saw in 2007 was better than those I saw in 2006. The band sounded more rushed and unfocused in 2006 IMO. Keith was a bit on and off and unpredictable (perhaps due to mediction) in 2007 like when he messed up ''Happy'' in Nijmegen, but overall his playing was good I think.

They were appaling that night in Werchter.
I remember I had to ventilate my thoughts on this forum. I was really angry at them that night.

BowieStone
Just got back from the show.

It was an aweful night, because of one man: Keith Richards. Completely drunk, didn't play one good note all night.
Satisfaction: I never heard them (Keith) that bad.
He completely messed up Paint it black, Sympathy, his own set, nearly everything.

On the bright side: I was pleasantly surprised with Ronnie. He played good. His solo on Can't You Hear Me Knockin was great. Actually he played great all night. They should have turned his volume up and Keiths down. Ronnie looked really sober and focused. Great to see.

Mick... ofcourse... excellent.

Charlie missed some beats, but I can understand if you have a guitarist who ruines everything.

The James Brown song was real fun. Heartbreaker & Can't You Hear Me Knocking were the highlights.

But damn... Keith Richards...

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 22, 2018 23:35

BowieStone

They were appaling that night in Werchter.
I remember I had to ventilate my thoughts on this forum. I was really angry at them that night.

I went back and listened to the recording now and you're right the last five songs were terrible. I had only heard the first half of the show before. Keith's playing was better the show after in Nijmegen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-22 23:36 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 23, 2018 01:01

Not my favorite album and tour. I only saw Tokyo #2 and Nagoya.
That being said, Tokyo #2 was a very strong performance, a typical Mick Jagger-driven show. Better than any of the four dome shows of the Licks tour in Japan IMHO.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 23, 2018 01:13

this thread makes me want a new album so bad;
i got some good mileage out of abb release. def have my faves,
but what century was that from again?
thanx for the thread; i want to cull some good performances from that tour!!!

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 23, 2018 08:35

The best ABB shows that I saw were:

- MSG Sept 15
- Dublin - great performance and awesome sound
- one of the three O2 shows - I loved them all but there was one in particular hat was great. Can’t remember which one, perhaps it was the second one?
- both Twickenham shows
- Glasgow - awesome version of Sway.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 23, 2018 15:32

john lomax
The best ABB shows that I saw were:

- MSG Sept 15
- Dublin - great performance and awesome sound
- one of the three O2 shows - I loved them all but there was one in particular hat was great. Can’t remember which one, perhaps it was the second one?
- both Twickenham shows
- Glasgow - awesome version of Sway.

Having also seen all three I would definitely say the second one and that was pretty much unanimous opinion at the time. Second night had Midnight Rambler, Shine A Light and She's So Cold all of which were played great. As ever with an exceptional Stones night Keith was on fire.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: July 24, 2018 01:12

Glasgow - b stage, sound was very average from the back but great there (where I was) - almost like a club show in the dark
Sheffield - brilliant from start to finish
O2 #2 - excellent, better than the first for the reasons above!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 24, 2018 04:31

Yes, O2 second show. And yes, people here on this forum said as much at the time and this has been the consistent opinion over the years, including in conversation.

plexi

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: July 24, 2018 09:14

I saw The Stones twice in three nights back in October of 2006 at Taylor Field in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada. They played a fantastic show on an absolutely beautifully warm autumn evening. A full moon was shining bright directly above and behind the stage.

I had no expectations when they came although I was excited to finally see them...at that point I wasn't sure how much they had left in the tank but boy did they ever blow me away that first night. They were absolutely incredible. My biggest regret was that I didn't record those shows on my little handheld tape recorder as not even one single recording has ever surfaced. They did an amazing Midnight Rambler that far exceeded my expectations.

My cousin who was with me also brought along some binoculars. So as the middle stage started moving towards our seats I got to watch what seemed like the most incredible Rolling Stones footage I had ever seen. Unfortunately, it was only an in the moment experience but I still remember it like it was yesterday. Also with the binoculars I was people watching a bit and just happened to see Charlize Theron about 25 rows up in the expensive seats looking beautiful. She was in town to shoot a movie.

The second night was fantastic too albeit very cold. A couple of songs in Mick Jagger made a joke about "Regina being the city that rhymes with fun." To this day, I still hear that joke going around 12 years later that Regina is the city that rhymes with fun. Goes to show how much impact they had when they played here for those two nights.

I remember they also did a very excellent version of Too Proud To Beg where Keith played single beat power chords that rang out and sustained throughout the stadium. Man, nobody can play a chord as great as Keith Richards does. He's just got the perfect touch.

If anyone has any of these shows please hit me up! It's a shame that they haven't been released yet because they were the best ones I heard of all the tour. It's almost like there was no pressure to be great for a small city in the province of Saskatchewan and it made them play even better.

That being said, this was after the "coconut tree accident" and I remember distinctly thinking that there was something wrong with Keith as he was way less animated on stage than I had ever seen. But he still had the chops and would turn it up on some of the biggest show stoppers at the beginning and the end of the concert. But it sure seemed like he was pacing himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-24 09:24 by sanQ.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 24, 2018 09:59

For me it was Boston Fenway Park, Sunday 21. August 2005.
A long, long fan dream came true for me:
Attending the opening night of a Rolling Stones World Tour.
With 60+ gigs of my band in my system so far I never made it to see a tour opener cause those nights were exclusively reserved for the US on EVERY tour since 1969!(yes you hear a lot of envy here smiling smiley)
That was the night.
My wife and me flew to Boston.
The tickets a present by my company.
What a town!
And then: Fenway Park!
The security-guy at the entrance door, where we were the first two to pass:
"Welcome to the Red So... uh, sorry - to the Rolling Stones!"
Our Places:
Row 4!
A lot of celebreties with Stones-history in their venes around me:
Carly Simon, Tommy Hilfiger and many more.
First look on that enormous ABB-Stage with the stage-balcony design.
Being in that landmark of US sport-history.
And then:
The Boys. My Stones. Your Stones. Our Stones.
Hard. Good. Loud. Precise. (In the Stones-way). Energetic.
Giving it all. And some extra for good opening-night reviews.
I was so satisfied.
The rest of the tour could come - I've seen the opening night!!
And: Having seen the last show of 40Licks in Letzigrund 2. Oct 2003 and the first one of the follow up-tour it was like:
"Hi Guys there are you again!
Seems we just met yesterday."

Good to have this crazyness with the Stones - its a gift.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 24, 2018 10:16

Can anybody please explain why this is OT?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home