Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Bigger Bang shows where the band was on fire.
Date: July 20, 2018 08:49

I rate nijmegen as the lowest or maybe 7th of the 8 bigger bang gigs i saw. Funny i am wearing the shirt at this right moment i bought there after the monsoon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 20, 2018 08:59

Is it a Rolling Stones t-shirt exclusive to the Nijmegen show?
If so, wish I would have bought one!

I did buy several over the course of the tour, but they're currently in storage and can't recall any specifics except a blue tye dye with tounge and spiraling letters spelling out A Bigger Bang.
Will have to dig through to see what I have amidst all the other Stonesy stuff collected over the years!

EDIT: I seem to recall some of the US shows used local sports teams colors w/either baseballs, basketballs, or hockey pucks on the tongue for individual city t-shirt designs. Or maybe that was the Licks tour....?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-20 09:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 20, 2018 09:49

Fourty licks tour was stronger than ABB. No security was stronger than fourty licks AND B2B. Voodoo lounge was equal strong to no security and steel wheels / urban jungle: only tour, where EVERY gig was strong

Date: July 20, 2018 09:53

Hairball
Is it a Rolling Stones t-shirt exclusive to the Nijmegen show?
If so, wish I would have bought one!
Just a regular Europe 2007 Tour shirt with the faded tongue. Don't remember any specific shirts. Pretty good quality. I think i sleep in it 2 days a week and only now after 11 years it is almost falling apart.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 20, 2018 15:09

The show at Hampden Park, Glasgow in August was very good though somewhat spoiled by sound issues (chiefly an echo reverberating around the stadium at times).Great version of Sway. Think show was recorded by BBC and spawned a boot 'No Smoking in Glasgow'.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: July 20, 2018 15:52

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Of the 12 (or maybe was it 13?) shows I saw that tour, both Hollywood Bowl shows were the best with the L.A. Forum show as runner up mainly due to having a 3rd row seat and being in the comfort of the classic old Forum vs. the sterile Staples Center. And special mention for the Nijmegen show.

*As I haven't listened to the boots in ages, opinion based on all around experience and memories vs. performance alone.

Isn't Nijmegen regarded as their nadir, perhaps together with Werchter?

I have only seen the fvck ups on video + a couple of videos here and there, though. But I remember the fuss about those shows back in the day..

It's nice to see Nijmegen mentioned as a good show, though, despite the incident with Keith on Happy. The overall experience counts the most smiling smiley

Perhaps you're remembering wrong, or confusing it with another show? I don't recall there being much "fuss" except mostly maybe about the weather.
And while it certainly wasn't the best show ever (yes there were screw ups as always), by no means was it their nadir of the tour by any stretch, at least not from my perspective. Of the 12 (or 13?) shows I saw during the ABB tour, I'd say Oakland Coliseum show was probably the least favorite for a variety of reasons, but there were probably other shows over the entire tour that made that look and sound like the best ever.
Take a look at the mostly positive reviews of Nijmegen from those who were there to jog your memory (as I did earlier today after writing my initial post above) and/or to get a better perspective.
Based on these, from what I'm reading seems like it was a pretty good show - rain and all. And listening to the boot right now while reminiscing - it sounds pretty darn good!

Nijmegen

Some select random quotes compiled from the above link:

- The crowd was wet but very happy. Too bad they had to finish. A great show indeed.
- great concert of one of the greatest bands in the world.
- I think the Stones went back to their hotel (or plane) in good spirits, 'cause they had given a good show and left a happy crowd.
- It was a special night, and the Stones delivered. They are just the best.
- Tonight was Keith's night, with sizzling solos -- aided and abetted by Ronnie -- on "She Was Hot," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," and especially "I Wanna Hold You."
- Ronnie played very tight and worked hard and Keith had a very good night too. Charlie is always a steady force, just as Darryl, but the man who really deserves a compliment is the man in front: Mick Jagger.
-sound and the setup in Nijmegen was far better than any concert I have attended, and The Stones were clear and crispy. Keith was sparkling, Mick full of unknown energy, and the band showed us their pleasure and guts.
- Seeing Mick and Keef, or Keef and Ron trade licks, in the same frame on the video screen was just one of those shivers up the spine moments that don't happen very often
- Where Keith seemed a little bit in a different world in Werchter, he was sharp in Nijmegen.
- I had the impression they gave some extra for the many fans who stood there, most of them soaking wet after heavy, heavy rain, thunder and lightning.
- A good show and a great atmosphere. We loved it.

And finally, the full review from the well respected Dean Goodman - always nice to read Dean's honest and often humorous reviews - warts and all:
(I didn't realize he was at this show! Seems we've been to many of the same ones throughout the years):

Review by Dean Goodman

This is what passes for a nice summer's day in Holland - torrential rain, thunder and lightning. I'm sure there will be plenty more shows like this.
And if the weather drives the Stones to the glorified heights that they reached in Nijmegen, then fans are in for a great tour.

God bless Van for cutting his set short midway though about the 4th song. No one was paying any attention, because we were huddled under giant plastic sheets -- some of us unfortunate enough to be suffocated by smokers. The early stop allowed the Stones crew to get ready, while I was bracing myself for a painful couple of hours in the rain and cold.

Fortunately, the rain stopped just as the show started, and then my pot brownie started to take effect, so I was feeling great.

Mick had a slow start, constantly looking back at guidance from Chuck for "Start Me Up," and evidently forgetting every part of "You Got Me Rocking." He was about to sing a chorus until Chuck pointed out that it was the time for Ronnie's guitar solo.

Tonight was Keith's night, with sizzling solos -- aided and abetted by Ronnie -- on "She Was Hot," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," and especially "I Wanna Hold You." The latter seemed like a completely different song from the never-ending one performed at Werchter. I have to admit I had no idea what song Keith was playing next until about 30 seconds in. It seemed he was playing every riff in his songbook before locking on the one for "Happy." I also had that feeling at the end when he came out to the spotlight solo and started on what would eventually be "Jumpin' Jack Flash." My only advice -- no more sleeveless shirts. His upper arms, pockmarked and wrinkly, are not a pleasant sight.

"Sweet Virginia" was another highlight. When the song was clearly over, Mick asked everyone to sing the chorus again, a capella. And I thought we did a great job. But then I had one of those drug-induced moments of paranoia where I thought I was the only one singing and the stadium was completely silent.

The only real issue I have is that the backing vocalists are still too high in the mix, and Chuck's keyboards are now threatening to dominate "Start Me Up."

Once again, transport afterwards was a hassle. With the show starting about an hour early, the buses weren't waiting for us at the close. I was lucky to get one of the first ones out, but thousands must have been left cooling their heels for some hours.

After reading through all that, seems unreasonable to say this show (perhaps together with Werchter) was the nadir.

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman

Isn't Nijmegen regarded as their nadir, perhaps together with Werchter?

Nadir? The Werchter show was great, which is evident in this video: video: [www.youtube.com]. The shows I saw in 2007 was better than those I saw in 2006. The band sounded more rushed and unfocused in 2006 IMO. Keith was a bit on and off and unpredictable (perhaps due to mediction) in 2007 like when he messed up ''Happy'' in Nijmegen, but overall his playing was good I think.

It was a long tour with several different legs between Aug. 2005 and Aug. 2007, and would be near impossible to single out one or two shows as the nadir.
Unlike the mini No Filter tour I and II with a total of only 28 shows (?) where the general consensus from those who saw multiple shows is that Hamburg was probably the low point.
But of course there are those who think it was great regardless of the mostly poor reviews, and maybe for them it was.

I remember correctly, but it's good that people had a great time and loved the shows.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: July 20, 2018 16:13

I think many of the negative comments about their playing back in 2007 was because people were still comparing the shows to the Licks-tour which far superior. Nowadays our expectations are lowered quite a bit and a No Filter-show can't be compared to how they played 15 years ago.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 20, 2018 16:14

I saw the East Hartford show in August 2005...it was the first time I saw them that didn't absolutely floor me. It was a fine show, but it felt a bit rote and by the numbers.

Maybe I saw them too many times on the Licks tour but the magic wasn't there.

Date: July 20, 2018 17:39

keefriff99
I saw the East Hartford show in August 2005...it was the first time I saw them that didn't absolutely floor me. It was a fine show, but it felt a bit rote and by the numbers.

Maybe I saw them too many times on the Licks tour but the magic wasn't there.

That can start to happen if you go to a lot of shows.

I was there in East Hartford and the show seemed fine to me,for the most part. "Ruby Tuesday" and "Get Up,Stand Up" were nice surprises and performed very well. "All Down the Line" , "The Worst" , and "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (as an extended show closer) were all performed well as far as I recall.

Though,early 2005 tour wasn't the best time for "Tumbling Dice" and some of the other warhorses.

Date: July 20, 2018 17:50

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
Hairball
NeverMakeASaintOfMe
Also I forgot about McAfee Coliseum, Oakland, 2006. That one REALLY rocks and there's a great audience tape of it. Good show with an even better set list containing songs like She Was Hot, Dead Flowers, Bitch, Streets Of Love, Connection, and Just My Imagination! I forgot all about this shows existence until now and it's a great one. I recommend those who haven't heard it to go and check it out.

Hmmmm...the tape might be good, and yes it was a decent setlist (despite Streets of Love), but the show itself definitely wasn't one of the best in comparison to all the others I attended, and not that great in comparison to dozens of boots from other shows that tour. An overall average show at best, and in fact it was my least favorite. But just goes to show, varying opinions and a variety of different perspectives makes it impossible for everyone to be on the same page regarding what makes a particular show good or bad.
Very true! In the end it's all just a matter of taste.

Oakland 2006 ,going by the tape,has maybe the best "You Got the Silver" ..... at least outside of 1999. Also one of the best performances of "She Was Hot" is from that show.

Maybe a couple of other stand-out tracks as well. I haven't listened to it all of the way through in a long time but,not long after the tape surfaced,I burned "You Got the Silver" and "She Was Hot" to CD-R ...... making a live compilation disc for my car.

Date: July 20, 2018 18:17

Back to the original question of the thread :

"Bigger Bang Tour" shows when the band was on fire ..... and a good enough recording exists to document :

Buenos Aires in February of 2006 with a near-complete soundboard and a great "YCAGWYW" .... Ronnie Wood back on his game.

Atlantic City 2006 , Oakland 2006 (at least in part as noted in the above post) , Saitama, Stuttgart 2006 with a more warhorse heavy set list , Saint Paul,Minnesota 2005.

Then there are some shows where the tapes don't do the shows justice such as .....

Fenway Park opening night which was solid almost all of the way through,especially for an opening night concert,except for "Shattered","Back of My Hand",and "She's So Cold" which were better the second night. And except for some warhorses such as "Tumbling Dice" which were not the best at that time (as I mentioned above).

Albany and North Carolina were also good but,the tapes don't really convey how it actually sounded being there.

I also should mention the January '06 shows (New York City and Boston) which both had stand-out performances of "Rocks Off".

Date: July 20, 2018 18:49

NeverMakeASaintOfMe
I honestly don't get the hype with Saitama 2006. It seems decent at best.

To be honest Saitama is one of the worst ABB shows I've heard. The quality of the HD-broadcast was excellent but Keith's playing was subpar, he massacred LSTNT with pentatonic overplaying, barely played during parts of SMU and BS and his solo on SFTD was awful. The rest of the band seemed a bit out of it too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-20 19:07 by RaiseTheKnife.

Date: July 20, 2018 18:59

RaiseTheKnife
I think many of the negative comments about their playing back in 2007 was because people were still comparing the shows to the Licks-tour which far superior. Nowadays our expectations are lowered quite a bit and a No Filter-show can't be compared to how they played 15 years ago.

I'd have to agree with all of the above - overall the Licks tour was far superior to ABB. It was during and especially after the ABB tour where I'd come to the point where I felt I'd seen them way more than enough. At least that's how I felt, but then the 50 and Counting Tour was announced with Mick Taylor, so away I went to see more shows (but only six and all within driving distance). When Zip Code was announced with no Mick Taylor, I went to only one show and that was more than enough. Saw them twice at Desert Trip as they were part of the package deal, but they were far from the best act both weekends. And then *Vegas '16 which was a fluke show - happened to be in Vegas for my wife's B-day right after Desert Trip, and to surprise her bought a pair of floor seats on stubhub the day of show 75% off face value. Even at that heavily discounted price, not a great show by any stretch with Mick being sick and all. All the recent No Filter shows (even the Hamburg show) that I've seen and heard via youtube and boots were better than both Desert Trips and *Vegas which is encouraging, and would hope to see them again some day. If they return to the States, no doubt I'll see them again as it's become tradition (and how can I NOT see them?), but will keep it down to one or two shows max. Fingers crossed...

By the way, is it just me or does Keith look better today than he did back in '05? While his playing and stage presence is nowhere near what it used to be, he looks healthier and happier today than he did back then.

Here he is as at the press conference performance 2005...

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 20, 2018 19:11

Well, he certainly looks better than during the first part of the 2007 tour!

Date: July 20, 2018 19:16

Hairball
RaiseTheKnife

I'd have to agree with all of the above - overall the Licks tour was far superior to ABB. It was during and especially after the ABB tour where I'd come to the point where I felt I'd seen them way more than enough. At least that's how I felt, but then the 50 and Counting Tour was announced with Mick Taylor, so away I went to see more shows (but only six and all within driving distance). When Zip Code was announced with no Mick Taylor, I went to only one show and that was more than enough. Saw them twice at Desert Trip as they were part of the package deal, but they were far from the best act both weekends. And then *Vegas '16 which was a fluke show - happened to be in Vegas for my wife's B-day right after Desert Trip, and to surprise her bought a pair of floor seats on stubhub the day of show 75% off face value. Even at that heavily discounted price, not a great show by any stretch with Mick being sick and all. All the recent No Filter shows (even the Hamburg show) that I've seen and heard via youtube and boots were better than both Desert Trips and *Vegas which is encouraging, and would hope to see them again some day. If they return to the States, no doubt I'll see them again as it's become tradition (and how can I NOT see them?), but will keep it down to one or two shows max. Fingers crossed...

By the way, is it just me or does Keith look better today than he did back in '05? While his playing and stage presence is nowhere near what it used to be, he looks healthier and happier today than he did back then.

Here he is as at the press conference performance 2005...

He was still cocaine-sknny back then and had that nervous, twitchy energy.

He's slower, grayer and a little bit heavier now, but he looks healthier and clearer than he has in a loooong time.

Date: July 20, 2018 19:37

keefriff99

He's slower, grayer and a little bit heavier now, but he looks healthier and clearer than he has in a loooong time.

I think the grey hair suits him better than the phony hair dye he used to use, and his subtle stage presence today seems more appropriate. Remember he used to flail his arms about and kick at the air alot which could sometimes be detrimental to what he was actually playing - maybe part of that was due the nervous twitchy cocaine energy you mention. That said, his playing today has sort of become slow motion and minimal with Ronnie becoming the head honcho. And he looked quite a bit wrinklier back then, so maybe quitting the booze and coke has reversed the aging process?

Date: July 20, 2018 19:47

Hairball
keefriff99

I think the grey hair suits him better than the phony hair dye he used to use, and his subtle stage presence today seems more appropriate. Remember he used to flail his arms about and kick at the air alot which could sometimes be detrimental to what he was actually playing - maybe part of that was due the nervous twitchy cocaine energy you mention. That said, his playing today has sort of become slow motion and minimal with Ronnie becoming the head honcho. And he looked quite a bit wrinklier back then, so maybe quitting the booze and coke has reversed the aging process?
I used to enjoy Keith's flailing antics until I notice how many gaps it left in in his playing. He'd hit a chord, pose, and the riff would disappear, which meant the song disappeared.

His face definitely filled out a little...I mean, look at Mick's face. Having no subcutaneous fat in your face as you age can make you look really gaunt and jowly.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: July 20, 2018 23:27

i've done 9 shows

Porto 2006 and Lyon 2007 were the best imo

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 20, 2018 23:51

Austin....maybe more for personal reasons

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 21, 2018 02:18

RaiseTheKnife

Not really. Either (and sometimes both) of the guitarists were simply very inconsistent. Their lifestyles, age and health had caught up with them on quite a few shows.

The Licks tour was the best Stones tour I've seen (been going since '82). The shows I saw this summer were the best I've seen them do since 2003, despite the fact that the setlists have been pretty dull for many years.

Whilst it had some great moments and I enjoyed all of the 13 shows I attended, I didnt feel the need to revisit the recordings of the shows too often afterwards - and that was a first. The ABB tour at the time ranked for me as their weakest tour along with 1976.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 21, 2018 05:17

Baltimore was very very good.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: July 21, 2018 10:07

Gazza
RaiseTheKnife

Not really. Either (and sometimes both) of the guitarists were simply very inconsistent. Their lifestyles, age and health had caught up with them on quite a few shows.

The Licks tour was the best Stones tour I've seen (been going since '82). The shows I saw this summer were the best I've seen them do since 2003, despite the fact that the setlists have been pretty dull for many years.

Whilst it had some great moments and I enjoyed all of the 13 shows I attended, I didnt feel the need to revisit the recordings of the shows too often afterwards - and that was a first. The ABB tour at the time ranked for me as their weakest tour along with 1976.

Interesting opinion and I understand if you enjoy the Stones more now than 10 years ago. For me though, ''musically'' they're lacking too much now. Nowadays the tempos are just too slow on many songs and the energy is a bit lacking, while in 2007 they still played songs like JJF and IORR at good exciting tempos, and everyone except Ronnie played better. It was a different band back then IMO. Even though they might play with more feeling and effort today (knowing the end is near), it's hard to look away from how ageing affected their playing (and singing).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 10:08 by RaiseTheKnife.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 21, 2018 10:27

I was at one of the 2005 Hollywood Bowl shows. I would describe it as 'mild'. I then attended the Dodger Stadium show, their last in the U.S., in November 2006. It was very strange. It was quite the pyrotechnics and light show. It was incredibly loud. Mick was better than ever, but I'm not sure if the music was any good. They seemed to be hiding it behind special effects.

Date: July 21, 2018 10:52

RaiseTheKnife
Gazza
RaiseTheKnife

Interesting opinion and I understand if you enjoy the Stones more now than 10 years ago. For me though, ''musically'' they're lacking too much now. Nowadays the tempos are just too slow on many songs and the energy is a bit lacking, while in 2007 they still played songs like JJF and IORR at good exciting tempos, and everyone except Ronnie played better. It was a different band back then IMO. Even though they might play with more feeling and effort today (knowing the end is near), it's hard to look away from how ageing affected their playing (and singing).

But what is "good and exciting tempos" for IORR and JJF?

Both the LYL-version of IORR and the Rock'n'Roll Circus-version of JJF are slower than today's versions. Yet they are my absolute favourite versions smiling smiley

Date: July 21, 2018 11:48

DandelionPowderman

But what is "good and exciting tempos" for IORR and JJF?

Both the LYL-version of IORR and the Rock'n'Roll Circus-version of JJF are slower than today's versions. Yet they are my absolute favourite versions smiling smiley

Indeed you can vary they way you play ''whitin'' the tempo, but IORR from LYL is played with Charlie at times only hitting the snare on the 4th beat, and Keith is not playing the straight Chuck Berry-rhythm he's playing now. IORR today is almost exactly like the 2007 version but slower. Thing is when they were younger and had more ''chops'' they could manage to build up a great groove within slower tempos, nowadays they tend to sound a bit flat when playing slow, and therefore I just prefer the faster and more energetic tempos from 2007.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 21, 2018 14:03

I think it was the tour with Belgrade, Budapest and Brno right? I remember I was still studying and we did the tour on a budget. Those were the days when you could still be front row if you just showed up early. It was a blast, but I don't remember much else... I think we got Love Is Strong in Brno and it's one of my favourite Stones songs.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 21, 2018 16:14

Lorenz
I think it was the tour with Belgrade, Budapest and Brno right?

Yeah, Budva & Bucharest too... lot of B's. smiling smiley

"Love is strong" from Brno was pro-shot:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 21, 2018 16:19

Alright, time for me to weigh in here. I saw 27 shows on that tour including the opening two at Fenway, both Hollywood Bowl shows, MSG 2006 both shows, Missoula (first and only time they have ever played in Montana), the Beacon, 6 of the first 7 summer 2007 (arrived late at Nijmegen, missed the rain but got in for free via a wristband that happened to be the same colour as Werchter), and the final three at the O2. To name a few. Favourite show: the second show at the O2 followed by the Beacon. That O2 show was the best Stones show I had ever seen up to that point in time, and since eclipsed only by Paris 2 on No Filter (sorry, No Filter naysayers). And I go back further than Gazza -- Monday was the 43rd anniversary of my first show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco: Wednesday, July 16th, 1975. And I head to the Bay soon and will likely be making a pilgrimage back there with my buddy who I attended the show with.

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 16:21 by timbernardis.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 21, 2018 18:28

Milan
Lorenz
I think it was the tour with Belgrade, Budapest and Brno right?

Yeah, Budva & Bucharest too... lot of B's. smiling smiley

"Love is strong" from Brno was pro-shot:

[www.youtube.com]

Oh yes, we saw Bucharest too! It was extremely hot.
Thanks for the video!

Edit: Oh man, I remember it sounded rough, the video proves it grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-21 18:32 by Lorenz.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 21, 2018 20:15

straycatuk
Saitama, Japan from March / April (?) 2006 just before Keith's accident was a great show and officially recorded for TV. This year was the nearest they have got to that level again.

sc uk

Agreed this year is the nearest to Saitama level as far as playing goes, just watched that show again, better than i remember, but Keith doesn't do his moves now like he did then, combination of being older and no coke, or he could even be suffering some back injury or something, he barely lowers himself when taking a bow at the end of the concerts.
Keith has never really recovered from that severe head injury, but we are lucky to have him at all, not many people even have the same personality after cranial surgery so for that Keith has been so fortunate.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home