Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: semi OT flying.
Date: July 6, 2018 14:51

terry
TheflyingDutchman
bv
There is more turbulence now in the hot summer in Europe, as the pilot I had into Prague a few days ago said they had more turbulence when there was a heatwave, which we do have now over central Europe.

Still, it is perfectly safe to fly. You should be more worried about being in a car, ten times or may be fifty times more likely to have an accident with a car...

Statistically it's perfectly safe. However people suffering from fear of flying are (too much) aware of the fact when thing go wrong, it's likely a total disaster. They don't want to loose controle. When you drive a car you hold your own steering wheel, in a plane you don't. There's therapy, but it doesn't always work. Benzodiazepines are prescribed if you explain your doctor.

The flying Dutchman you have summed it up perfectly the reason I don't fly,
Having no control is something I can't deal with.

I went on a 4seater plane in north wales to fly along the coast on a very windy day.
The pilot thought it be great to do some stunts, so he went as high as he could go, then switched to a deep dive heading straight at the sea below.

All I could think of that my kids waiting for me will not have a dad,
I had no control and I wanted to wrestle the controls off the pilot to pull the plane up.

The two holiday people behind me were terrified and screaming.
The the pilot said if fly around Cardiff castle you can take some pics, he said I put my head down to my lap so you can snap away.

So now the pilot wants to fly blind, @#$%& that lol no I said it's ok I think the couple behind us have had enough.
It was so windy up there the pilot seemed to be struggling to keep the plane straight.
Never again will I will get into any machine that I have no control over.

Even though I'm aware that plane n train travel is the safest form of travel.
In my mind if I get on a plane there will be problem that I have no control over.

It be like stepping onto the MH370 ...sighs

Nothing to be ashamed of. Many people suffer from it. Bill Wyman is the best known example here. One of the reasons ABBA broke up (stopped touring)is that the female blonde singer didn't want to fly anymore. It scared the hell out of her.

Re: OT: Flying and turbulence
Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: July 6, 2018 15:20

Scariest moment that I ever had was on an approach into San Fran. Boeing 747. I was looking down at the side of the runway from my passenger window coming in for landing, must have been no more than several hundred feet above ground but it was so long ago I am guessing, when I suddenly heard the engines rev back up. Next thing you know we were flying over the Golden Gate Bridge. Captain came on and said “sorry about that, had to abandon the landing, there was something on the runway.”

Re: semi OT flying.
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 6, 2018 15:28

terry
TheflyingDutchman
bv
There is more turbulence now in the hot summer in Europe, as the pilot I had into Prague a few days ago said they had more turbulence when there was a heatwave, which we do have now over central Europe.

Still, it is perfectly safe to fly. You should be more worried about being in a car, ten times or may be fifty times more likely to have an accident with a car...

Statistically it's perfectly safe. However people suffering from fear of flying are (too much) aware of the fact when thing go wrong, it's likely a total disaster. They don't want to loose controle. When you drive a car you hold your own steering wheel, in a plane you don't. There's therapy, but it doesn't always work. Benzodiazepines are prescribed if you explain your doctor.

The flying Dutchman you have summed it up perfectly the reason I don't fly,
Having no control is something I can't deal with.

I went on a 4seater plane in north wales to fly along the coast on a very windy day.
The pilot thought it be great to do some stunts, so he went as high as he could go, then switched to a deep dive heading straight at the sea below.

All I could think of that my kids waiting for me will not have a dad,
I had no control and I wanted to wrestle the controls off the pilot to pull the plane up.

The two holiday people behind me were terrified and screaming.
The the pilot said if fly around Cardiff castle you can take some pics, he said I put my head down to my lap so you can snap away.

So now the pilot wants to fly blind, @#$%& that lol no I said it's ok I think the couple behind us have had enough.
It was so windy up there the pilot seemed to be struggling to keep the plane straight.
Never again will I will get into any machine that I have no control over.

Even though I'm aware that plane n train travel is the safest form of travel.
In my mind if I get on a plane there will be problem that I have no control over.

It be like stepping onto the MH370 ...sighs

Sorry you experience that Terry. It must be awful. Reading Eddie Izzard’s book this year, he suffered the same but increasingly had to fly for his work -so he got his pilots license. He may not be able to control the jets he travels in, but now understands what’s happening and that it’s normal, and can cope. A bit extreme and out of reach for many of us... but you are far from alone in your anxiety.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 6, 2018 15:42

I fly twice each month for work and have done for years now. Not an option. You get used to it when it's routine. Fly across the continent enough times and even bad weather doesn't faze you. It just feels like a roller coaster after a while. Rough bumps up and down.I usually don't have enough space to hold my laptop and type so I end up reading a book. I enjoy that aspect. It's my downtime and I don't get any work emails for a few hours.

Date: July 6, 2018 16:25

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-06 16:25 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 6, 2018 20:02

Rocky Dijon
I fly twice each month for work and have done for years now. Not an option. You get used to it when it's routine. Fly across the continent enough times and even bad weather doesn't faze you. It just feels like a roller coaster after a while. Rough bumps up and down.I usually don't have enough space to hold my laptop and type so I end up reading a book. I enjoy that aspect. It's my downtime and I don't get any work emails for a few hours.

Hey Rocky D
My brother does the same,
and,
if I was getting paid to travel, had the airline app, collected the miles, knew where to park,
slide in slide out
A different mindset / experience
than being 1 of the masses herded like suspicious slow moving cows.
But really,
I am a mover and being stuck in a chair for hours
challenging
no sleep for me on a plane, no booze
but
who cares?
Just thought I’d say ‘hi’

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: July 6, 2018 20:19

I don’t like flying at all, too anxious for me. I’ve been traveling from Italy to Cardiff, then from Cardiff to London and from London to Marseille all by train!! Just to see our guys that’s amore spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 6, 2018 20:29

hilary
I don’t like flying at all, too anxious for me. I’ve been traveling from Italy to Cardiff, then from Cardiff to London and from London to Marseille all by train!! Just to see our guys that’s amore spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I know a guy who traveled from Napoli to Swansea (just down the road from Cardiff) by train in 1975 to see his holiday romance - he still lives here and married to his girl..........I guess that’s amore too.............Although he does fly home to Italy 3 times a year.........(Not me.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-06 20:30 by EddieByword.

Date: July 6, 2018 20:40

35love
Hey Rocky D
and,
if I was getting paid to travel, had the airline app, collected the miles, knew where to park,
slide in slide out
But really,
challenging
but
who cares?

Hi back at you, 35love. I suppose for me because of the frequency, I detach. I don't think about take off or landing. I stay in my own world and appreciate the break from incessant communication. I don't look out the window. I don't think about any of it. I just lose myself in a book and enjoy not having my phone ping with a new message every other minute.

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: July 6, 2018 21:10

EddieByword
hilary

I know a guy who traveled from Napoli to Swansea (just down the road from Cardiff) by train in 1975 to see his holiday romance - he still lives here and married to his girl..........I guess that’s amore too.............Although he does fly home to Italy 3 times a year.........(Not me.........
I think so, a much more realistic love smiling smiley)

Date: July 6, 2018 21:53

hilary
EddieByword
hilary

I think so, a much more realistic love smiling smiley)

smileys with beer

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 6, 2018 22:31

Rocky Dijon
35love
Hey Rocky D
and,
slide in slide out
But really,
challenging
but
who cares?

Hi back at you, 35love. I suppose for me because of the frequency, I detach. I don't think about take off or landing. I stay in my own world and appreciate the break from incessant communication. I don't look out the window. I don't think about any of it. I just lose myself in a book and enjoy not having my phone ping with a new message every other minute.

I think you will find once you retire from mandatory return calls,
you will never speak on the phone again (LOL me)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2018 01:23

"Best you eat now before we take-off ………………………………"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 7, 2018 08:48

I love flying!......

........as long as I have a double Bloody Mary and a Xanax just prior to the plane taking offgrinning smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 7, 2018 09:17

I literally factor the airport bar into the cost of my vacation.by the time I get on the plane I’m not worried.
I’ve flown enough that I notice certain things,short flights they tend to use newer pilots.that landing going from LA to Vegas and back looks like those films from the early days of flight.
ex military pilots are always fun-“didn’t know a 747 could turn that sharp,glad we spent that hour in the airport bar”

Date: July 7, 2018 21:15

35love
I think you will find once you retire from mandatory return calls,
you will never speak on the phone again (LOL me)

If I only spoke or communicated in some fashion with my kids or to people who shared my passions for music, books, and films, I would be quite content. Everyone else usually reminds me why I prefer the company of animals or solitude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-07 21:16 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: July 7, 2018 22:19

lem motlow

I’ve flown enough that I notice certain things

aint that a fact... and sometimes disturbing... good thing I hardly fly anymore, but back when I used to fly I guess my subconscious knew when it was "right" and when it was "that is new/different/WRONG"... new (WRONG)soundS... new LOUD bang... new things out the window ("firetrucks like those do not usually surround planes before take off")...

Feeling/hearing/thinking "uh oh, the engines NEVER sound like that on take off" (as then pilot comes on and says "folks we are going to swing around, land and return to the gate, nothing to worry about, just a garbled something something, nothing to worry about"...

Then the occasional inflight things... I used to never be over concerned with the safety belt... and still I am not... but one or two hard "air bumps" at 35,000 feet YIKES! and I pull that sucker as tight as it will go (and so far have not hit my head on the ceiling or luggage compartment)(but almost a couple of times).

I hate flying(esp with the ever increasing TSA BS)(so much BS security theater/drama/BS/nonsense)... and facts be known I am ready for driverless cars... I am sick of driving too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-07 22:23 by Leonioid.

Date: July 7, 2018 22:27

stonehearted
It's not the turbulence that's the problem...

...it's what goes on outside the plane...

...like that gremlin on the wing...

...talk about a nightmare at 20,000 feet!

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: July 7, 2018 22:33

….some of those female air-hostess knock me around more than the turbulence ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: July 7, 2018 23:50

Concur with that Rockman! On an overnight flight to Europe once I fell asleep and my elbow accidentally hit (they had them on the armrest) the air hostess call button. The head of the cabin crew came out from the galley and gave me supreme sh#t for pressing the button.

Same airline return flight I was at the back and got my main meal. It was not your standard airline meal, in fact it was not very appetizing at all, looked like rice soaked in warm milk. So I said “what’s this?” Answer, “we’ve ran out of food so we put together a vegetarian meal for you with what we have left. Here is a complaint form to fill out if you so wish.”

Date: July 8, 2018 01:30

…… hhhhaaaaa … I meant how hot they usually look with their hair tied back tight …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 8, 2018 02:32

You can catch and watch the one that is gonna vomit but the main question is when? I thought this person would toss it during turbulence but caught me off guard and yacked on landing. At least the blanket was out to catch most of it.

Date: July 8, 2018 03:27

Rockman
…… hhhhaaaaa … I meant how hot they usually look with their hair tied back tight …….

grinning smiley

That is what I have noticed over time... they should make a movie smoking smiley

Date: July 8, 2018 04:17

….bit like those Equestrian girls …….. mmmmmmmmmmm

ROCKMAN

Date: July 8, 2018 05:12

Rockman
grinning smiley Giddyup

Date: July 8, 2018 14:32

Rockman

They all smell like horses round where I live.............(anyway, one of them told me that having sex with a girl who has just been riding is rape..........grinning smiley .......true..........winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home