Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No Direction Home...
Posted by: Angiegirl ()
Date: September 28, 2005 16:48

Gazza Wrote:

> I'd imagine Scorsese
> will want to get back to his 'day job' anyway!

Trying to finally win that Academy Award?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 28, 2005 16:55

Long overdue, dontcha think?

An utter travesty that he hasnt won one until now. Was pretty sure he'd get it for "Gangs.."

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 28, 2005 17:15

Amazing documentary.
Electric Dylan has something special, and he is surprisinly close to the feel of Stones' music. In a way, Dylan is a Rolling Stone.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 28, 2005 17:16

Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had no idea that the famous Manchester (formerly
> thought to be Albert Hall) performance was so
> beautifully filmed! I want a video of this whole
> show without interruption! One of Rock's pinnacle
> moments so beautifully preserved!
>
> The documentary is one of the best ever, but I
> want that concert DVD!
>
> Ross

I'm new-ish to Dylan, so the "No Direction Home" doc was fascinating for me. Question though: the infamous concert where someone shouts "Judas" before Dylan even opens his mouth -- where and when was that? The doc makes me think it was after his motorcycle accident in '66, but then they say he retired from playing live for 8 years after his accident.

I'm confused!

Posted by: Angiegirl ()
Date: September 28, 2005 17:25

No, that was at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester on May 17, 1966, just before his accident.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 28, 2005 18:07

Thank you, AngieGirl!

The booing/jeering audiences were really bizarre. I mean why would you buy a ticket and then go boo somebody -- ridiculous. It seems like the kids were just copying each other, just following the crowd.

From what I gather, that went on for like a year at every concert Dylan played?! Man, it's amazing he didn't quit music for good.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 28, 2005 18:10

it's actually pretty easy to understand the booing given the circumstances. dylan went through a similar period when he went "gospel" in '79. lotsa folks at the shows i went to protested and booed. when loyal fans feel betrayed (rightly or wrongly) that's gonna happen....

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 28, 2005 18:19

I saw part 2 last night and I have to say it is the most exciting, thought provoking, stimulating and well put together music documentary I've seen since Anthology and I think it was able to say as much about it's subject in its 3 and 1/2 hours, if not more, than the much longer aforementioned Beatles documentary. The live stuff from Newport and Manchester blew me away as did hearing Bob speak so candidly about his past. Though the show could have gone on further into his career, it ended where it should have done, just before his accident. It showed a period of his life where his impact was at its greatest and most profound. If you haven't seen it. then go out and get the DVD! Yeah!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-29 18:53 by ChrisM.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 28, 2005 18:23

Absolutely nothing new with hitting the low e string with the thumb...Many of great blues men did this since the beginning...just a simple way to play...

JR

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 28, 2005 18:26

Hello T&A! Have you actually been to Dylan in 1979?! What did you think about it, did you like it? Please some information if you remember and have the time... Some of these concerts are actually magnificent, I think.

Date: September 28, 2005 18:39

actually saw him three times in '80 - in January then twice later when he started adding back some secular songs in December '80 - the 1/80 show was still one of the best Dylan (40+) shows I've seen....the emotion in his voice was eerie almost. Had a friend who went to see Arlo Guthrie the same night as one of the Dylan shows - someone asked Arlo why he thought anyone would come to see him on a night Dylan was in town - to which he wryly responded, "maybe to hear some Dylan songs!"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 28, 2005 20:09

Wow! He sang extrodinary then, thats right! Wish Id been there too....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 28, 2005 21:06

Good documentary, but I didn't think it quite lived up to all the hype. I won't be running out to buy the DVD or anything. The color footage from '66 was amazing, though. A friend of mine actually thought it was a colorized version of Don't Look Back! My favorite part was when that old guy kept asking Bob to suck on his glasses.

Date: September 28, 2005 21:09

I thought my wife was going to pee uncontrollably at the opener last night with Bobby contorting himself in coming up with variations of what that store was selling. That was absolutely hilarious....worth the price of admission alone.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home