Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Sway
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 26, 2005 18:48

StonesLicks2002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I must say that I don't care how much perfect is
> the Alvin Youngblood version of Paint It Black.

I've never heard this version of Paint it Black. Is it really perfect?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 26, 2005 19:36

after the stones read this thread i doubt they will play sway again

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 26, 2005 19:40

melillo Wrote:
> after the stones read this thread i doubt they
> will play sway again

I'm hoping they play it tonight, knock it out of the park, and put all the doubter to shame.

Date: September 26, 2005 19:45

I hope they play it again too, i liked it alot
mick just needs to scream more like the album version thats all

Posted by: blackn'blue ()
Date: September 26, 2005 19:50

where can we hear this version?

Posted by: Angiegirl ()
Date: September 26, 2005 19:57

The fact that the Stones had a go at Sway for their hardcore fans (because they're not playing it for 99.9% of the audience, they don't know the song) deserves a compliment. Great!

I just don't like the version, I think it stinks for the most part.

It has nothing to do with wanting them to play a song like the studio version, a replica, because then a live version wouldn't add anything significant.

It has nothing to do with the Stones' charm of making 'little trademark mistakes', because that's all fine.

It also has nothing to do with cutting the guys some slack 'because they're over 60' or whatever ludicrous reason you people come up with. They charge insane prices which creates certain high expectations and they're mature and intelligent enough to take the heat themselves I'm sure.

No, that's all irrelevant. They can think of new arrangements, new solos, new rhythm, new tempo, hell, even new lyrics for all I care. They can turn it contemporary, they can turn it into a country tune or whatever. It's not about that.

There's only one thing that counts for me.
The point is, however they choose to play it, play (and sing) it professionaly and with conviction and heart. That's what's missing imo. No matter how much I love them for picking a gem like this and no matter how mesmerising the moment must have been for the folks attending at that moment: Go back and rehearse!

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: September 26, 2005 20:02

Chuck Leavell fashions himself as the arranger of everything from the songs to the setlist to the menu in the Rattlesnake Inn backstage everynite! Why doesn't someone bash him again? It hasn't happened for at least two days.

Posted by: tomee ()
Date: September 26, 2005 20:06

no matter how mesemerising the moment? Hmmm what if were so mesreising that every one had an orgasim and reached a complete understanding of being. I just don't know why some people like music? Oh yes the should pay far more attention to the attire. Cmon Keith tuck in your shirt. Look and play like a proffesional. You've been naughty go back and reherse!! Get it exactly perfect before you try it again. Spontaineous bah bah your just lazy.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: September 26, 2005 20:18

"Why doesn't someone bash him again?"

Chuck is not in control of each of the bands members ability to play / not play - so he is not to bash....

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 26, 2005 20:19

Okay guys. I was at the Columbus show. Sway was awesome, especially for never playing it live before. Quit bashing it. It was great, end of story.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 26, 2005 21:13

I agree with Angiegirl. One might expect professionalism on stage for those kind of high prices. Whenever I go out to a local pub in my place, I see all kinds of bands playing so much better than sometimes the Stones do. And the entrance to those pubs is always free! Of course the Stones are another league, but the professional factor I mean. One can argue the Stones don't have to prove themselves anymore, but still. I wouldn't wanna be on stage and mess things up!

Also I want to say that all the critics from Angiegirl, Mathijs etc has nothing to do with bashing. It's just common observation. One can't disagree with the fact that Ron's part in Sway was out of tune and not really interesting. In my ears he plays the same style of solo like he did on Worried About You during Licks, and that one was bad also.

Ron can play all kinds of fills (especially in the studio): rhythm, slide, etc (weaving with Keith), but playing a lead solo live is another story for him apparantly. He should practice more maybe, or what Mathijs said: don't try to copy the whole solo from the original recording, play you're own thing and use maybe a few licks from the original.

By the way, Ron's wah-wah part on If You Can't Rock Me on Four Flicks is great I think. It's a great live version! That's a song they really rehearsed, all though Keith messed up the bridge sometimes hehe. So that fire is still in Ronnie!

Date: September 26, 2005 23:28

mathijis is a frustrated wanna be

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 26, 2005 23:42

melillo Wrote:
> mathijis is a frustrated wanna be

I think you had better listen to a few Rolling Stones tracks recorded by Mathijs band, Flip The Switch and you'll probably change your mind big time.

[members.chello.nl]

Date: September 27, 2005 02:15

thats not the point, he wished he was a stone is my point, i know he is an excellent player

Posted by: Angiegirl ()
Date: September 27, 2005 02:19

melillo Wrote:
> mathijis is a frustrated wanna be

Yes, he's so disgusting!

Did you know he even wants us to call him Mick secretly? Well, at least you would be able to write his name right...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 27, 2005 02:23

melillo Wrote:
> thats not the point, he wished he was a stone is
> my point

LOL..and which one out of all of us DOESNT? ;-)

Date: September 27, 2005 02:23

yes indeed, couldnt care less if i spell his name right, ya get my drift

Posted by: StonesLicks2002 ()
Date: September 27, 2005 10:46

Mathijs excellent player ?? Ha ha, Some time ago I made a mistake listening one "Flip The Switch" track through the web. My God, I'm still shocked. Absolutely ridiculous. He's really a frustrated guy who has the feeling playing guitar in his ass.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 27, 2005 10:53

See Mathijs, you have had your 15 minutes.
Now please rest a while.
Ron´s not Taylor, so what?

Sway rocks: I will play this version more than ABB.
Its one of the fooking goddam best live boot tracks
I´ve ever heard, at least since Hampton-era.

And when they come to a city close to you, good Dutchman
& to me, they have sharpened its teeth & they will rock us all
to unconsciousness.

I felt like 70-71-72 when I heard Sway now live, first listening.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: September 27, 2005 11:35

I can't believe their are people in this thread with the balls/tits to question The Stones 'professionalism' over the rendition of this song? The Stones are quite possibly the MOST 'professional' rock 'n' roll band that has ever existed! Who do you think we're discussing here,..Pink Floyd!? Or, maybe U2? The Stones are 'SUPPOSSED' to be rough, they are SUPPOSSED to be sloppy,etc,.. That's part of what makes them WHO they are. If you think you're hearing something on this version of this song that doesn't exist on MANY other 'live' Stones recordings, including their BEST live recording 'Ya-Ya's' you better get those headphones out and do some research.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: StonesLicks2002 ()
Date: September 27, 2005 11:45

Mathijs, as Guitar World Master wrote the Stones may leave alone the Sticky Fingers tunes and other gems, and he recommend them go to rehearsal Sway again and again... Is just incredible. An amateur guitar player telling the Stones go to studio to rehearsal !!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 27, 2005 19:31

The Stones Wrote:
> I think you had better listen to a few Rolling
> Stones tracks recorded by Mathijs band, Flip The
> Switch and you'll probably change your mind big
> time.

Aaahh don't know about that dude. I heard some of their tracks. OK, fair enough, they're all very good musicians. Really. Mathijs is a great guitarist as far as I can hear. He knows his (S)way around the fretboard. But they don't sound as a unit to me. It's too much individualism. I think that makes the music sound boring. It's like listening to a MIDI-file.

(No harm intended).

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 23, 2005 12:49

Mathijs Wrote:
> Just my two cents.

Two cents from you is worth shite. It is a good Sway that needs a little rehearsing. That's the truth.

(Sorry for reviving this thread, but I read the posts and got angry by the unfair review by His Mathijsty).

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-23 12:52 by JumpingKentFlash.

Date: December 23, 2005 13:16

Wanna hear it again! Pleaze Mick!!

Date: December 23, 2005 17:55

Were you there? I was. It Kicked ass from my vantage point.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 23, 2005 19:01

Mathijs Wrote:
> Of all the legendary gems that we hard core fans
> so badly wanted to play, this is the absolute
> worst ever rendition of a song. This is just plain
> terrible. In my opinion, someone should take
> Wood's guitar, kick his arse and send him home.
> Let Wood forever drink beer and paint ugly
> paintings at his house, but don't ever let him
> ruin these songs again. This version is just
> painful: terrible drumming, Jagger sings badly,
> and then the solo....Wood also ruined every
> rendition of Worried About You, but that song
> still had some great drumming and excellent vocals
> to make it worthwile.
>
> Of all the gems we wanted the Stones to play, just
> a few actually were o.k. For example, I never
> liked one version of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.
> That song is so legendary good on the album, just
> leave it alone! The same goes for Moonlight Mile,
> Memory Motel and You Got the Silver. Leave these
> songs alone, don't try to play them live, it will
> never live up to the original recording. Only
> Sister Morphine turned out o.k. live, mainly due
> to Wood actaully adding something to the song.
>
> What I don't understand: Wood is an excellent
> slide player, and now he has the chance to play
> the first slide solo and let everyone hear that he
> is also a master of the slide. What does he do? A
> horrible, out of tune solo played with a horrible
> sound, played with his fingers.
>
> Just my two cents.
> Mathijs

I agree concerning the solo of Ronnie Wood, it is plainly terrible, but it shows once more the decline of his guitar work during this tour. It is so harsh that he ruined some tracks completely. In general I like the version from Columbus, it is somewhat more aggressive than the studio version. But Ronnie should practise ...

Date: December 23, 2005 19:08

Snob´ism is one thing, fanship another.
Its more credible when people complain about it after hearing it.

I just heard the new Sway again & just found it wonderful.
Measuring solos is just a @#$%& thing.

All imho.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 23, 2005 19:11

I agree with melillo and many others. It was a first time-ever song and it didn't sound perfect, we all know that. It's my favourite Stones songs and I was so happy when I read they finally played it live.They should give it more and more tries and I'm sure it would improve. But I'm afraid Mick has decided never to do it again....

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home