Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your Missed Stones Opportunities That Would've Been A Good Memory
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 7, 2018 03:36

What are some of ya missed Stones opportunities that would've of been a good memory?
My was not asking Mick Taylor to sign my ticket while he was standing behind me having a smoke at the Auckland 2014 show..but he did ask gi-day so that was cool

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Re: Your Missed Stones Opportunities That Would've Been A Good Memory
Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: May 7, 2018 03:47

I have three missed opportunities:

Although I'm flying more than 5000 kms this summer to see them in Marseille, I didn't go to the Stones' concert that was the most geographically close to my area in 1998 (Quebec City)

I was in Nashville last month and visited the exhibition on April 2nd.... Two days before Ronnie stopped there to bring back a guitar he had borrowed. I even took a picture of the empty glass box with a sticker on it saying ''On Tour''. I first thought it was bullsh...

I was in Varadero, Cuba when the Stones played in Habana. I bought a bus ticket and reserved a bed & breakfast in Habana, but I finally decided not to go.... The thing is I was accompanying a group of 28 students from Canada and although my 3 other colleague teachers were ok with me going to the concert, I started to fear that something might happen and I wouldn't be able to get back to Varadero the next day, etc... I didn't want to have to explain to either the parents or the schoolboard that I was at a rock concert when I was supposed to be with my students.... My professionalism won, but I hated having to make that decision.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-07 03:48 by daniel t.

Date: May 7, 2018 03:52

daniel t

Although I'm flying more than 5000 kms this summer to see them in Marseille, I didn't go to the Stones' concert that was the most geographically close to my area in 1998 (Quebec City)

I was in Nashville last month and visited the exhibition on April 2nd.... Two days before Ronnie stopped there to bring back a guitar he had borrowed. I even took a picture of the empty glass box with a sticker on it saying ''On Tour''. I first thought it was bullsh...

I was in Varadero, Cuba when the Stones played in Habana. I bought a bus ticket and reserved a bed & breakfast in Habana, but I finally decided not to go.... The thing is I was accompanying a group of 28 students from Canada and although my 3 other colleague teachers were ok with me going to the concert, I started to fear that something might happen and I wouldn't be able to get back to Varadero the next day, etc... I didn't want to have to explain to either the parents or the schoolboard that I was at a rock concert when I was supposed to be with my students.... My professionalism won, but I hated having to make that decision.
daniel t..thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 7, 2018 04:43

daniel t

Great story, daniel. Curious though..
I travelled about 5000 kms from Seattle in 2015 to see them in Quebec City (beautiful city) for the final Zip Code concert..
Were you not in the area during that concert?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 7, 2018 04:46

I had tickets in 1997 and 1999 and both times I couldn't go in the end. Also could have seen the Winos in 1993, but I let my best friend (who missed them in 1988 when I saw them) go. I regretted that then and still do now.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: May 7, 2018 05:51

I'm hopeful this would have been a good memory. I was at the Hyatt Hotel in Perth, Australia the day after the Stones show in April, 1995 and I knew they would be checking out at some point. I had a Budweiser poster I'd picked up in San Francisco the previous October which I was very keen to have them sign if the opportunity arose. Charlie and his wife came down to the foyer at one point and he gladly signed it which was great. After that I had the experience of having the promoter sit at a table next to me, going through the hotel bill for the Stones and their entourage - I lost count of how many times he said F$%&k! Anyway another hour or so passed and an older gent came up to me and asked me if I was waiting on the Stones.I told him yes and he said they are all in the underground car park "de-camping". I grabbed the poster and ran like hell to the car park and got there just as the last van was leaving. I was shattered!Never mind. I've often wondered how gracious or otherwise they would have been had I got there before they left. I was wearing with pride my Voodoo Lounge leather jacket I'd bought from Bill German so hopefully that may have resulted in them being accomodating, but I'll never know. As an aside, when the Stones arrived in Perth it was all over the media, and everyone knew they were staying at the Hyatt. At one point I rang the hotel and asked to be put though to Darryl Jones. Extraordinarily he picked up the phone and we chatted for 5 minutes. In my ignorance at the time I remember asking him where the Stones might be hanging out while in town!

Date: May 7, 2018 06:09

Paulhanrahan
I'm hopeful this would have been a good memory. I was at the Hyatt Hotel in Perth, Australia the day after the Stones show in April, 1995 and I knew they would be checking out at some point. I had a Budweiser poster I'd picked up in San Francisco the previous October which I was very keen to have them sign if the opportunity arose. Charlie and his wife came down to the foyer at one point and he gladly signed it which was great. After that I had the experience of having the promoter sit at a table next to me, going through the hotel bill for the Stones and their entourage - I lost count of how many times he said F$%&k! Anyway another hour or so passed and an older gent came up to me and asked me if I was waiting on the Stones.I told him yes and he said they are all in the underground car park "de-camping". I grabbed the poster and ran like hell to the car park and got there just as the last van was leaving. I was shattered!Never mind. I've often wondered how gracious or otherwise they would have been had I got there before they left. I was wearing with pride my Voodoo Lounge leather jacket I'd bought from Bill German so hopefully that may have resulted in them being accomodating, but I'll never know. As an aside, when the Stones arrived in Perth it was all over the media, and everyone knew they were staying at the Hyatt. At one point I rang the hotel and asked to be put though to Darryl Jones. Extraordinarily he picked up the phone and we chatted for 5 minutes. In my ignorance at the time I remember asking him where the Stones might be hanging out while in town!

Paulhanrahan..thumbs up

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 7, 2018 14:29

I had an offer to see the Stones at MSG, NYC in 1972 but the parents would not let me go.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: May 7, 2018 14:55

MisterDDDD
daniel t

Great story, daniel. Curious though..
I travelled about 5000 kms from Seattle in 2015 to see them in Quebec City (beautiful city) for the final Zip Code concert..
Were you not in the area during that concert?

For the Quebec Summer Festival in 2015, I was there with my two daughters (maybe 15th row, Keith's side, 20 feet from the catwalk).
I was referring to the BtoB tour in 97-98 in which I went to the Montreal show but passed on the Quebec City show... for no particular reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-07 15:01 by daniel t.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 7, 2018 14:57

Forgetting our passports at the Ferry crossing at Dova on our way to see the Stones in Holland after driving 8 hours from Cornwall. Missed the show.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 7, 2018 15:44

daniel t
For the Quebec Summer Festival in 2015, I was there with my two daughters (maybe 15th row, Keith's side, 20 feet from the catwalk).
I was referring to the BtoB tour in 97-98 in which I went to the Montreal show but passed on the Quebec City show... for no particular reason.
thumbs up For some reason I thought this was going to be your first.. confused you with someone else. Great show that was.. a lotta people!
We weren't far from each other there.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 7, 2018 15:46

Nashville '14 comes to mind.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: May 7, 2018 15:55

When I did not ask Charlie for a photo in Landgraaf 2014, the day before the Pinkpop show. I was hanging around in the hotel where they were sleeping and then Charlie walked in says 'hello guys' to me and a friend and we were perplexed. We forgot about making a photo but it's a great memory!

(Later that afternoon I got a photo with Lisa..That again)

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 7, 2018 16:07

I regret that I skipped No Security in NYC because it was soon after the previous tour (VL or B2B... I don't remember which).

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 7, 2018 21:14

In 1975 (I was 14), I was offered a ticket to see the Stones in Jacksonville. I didn't know much about the band and passed. Regretted ever since. Opening acts were Atlanta Rhythm Section, Rufus (with Chaka Khan), and the J. Geils Band.

Finally got to see them in 1981.

Also, was given the chance to attend a pre-show party hosted by Chuck in Atlanta a few years back. I let a female cousin go instead. She got to meet Charlie.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 7, 2018 22:29

I missed getting tickets for the Vredenburg show.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 7, 2018 22:41

Koen, me too! Remember going to the Rotterdam gig and returning to see the people sleeping outside. A friend said I should stay because I had a good chance. In stead I got a good night's sleep, only to find out he was right. However all's not lost the "tongue lady" and me waived to the band outside as they were leaving. Another memory.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 7, 2018 23:18

Not going to the Stones Nicaragua concert in 73 with my friends who ended up with great seats. It was at a point in time, where I just couldn't afford the $35.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: May 7, 2018 23:33

The exhibition.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 8, 2018 01:36

No regrets. You do only live once.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: May 8, 2018 02:33

1988 living in Hamilton NZ in the pre-internet days, and finding out on the late night TV news that Mick had played at the Gluepot Tavern in Auckland that night...it still hurts being that close...yet so far...

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Date: May 8, 2018 02:39

In 2015 flew to Detroit to see The Boys. So I what was I gonna do Saturday before the show. There was an exhibition at the museum of modern art I wanted to see. Or go to the Motown museum? Well the Motown Museum wasn't going anywhere so I decided to go to see the art exhibition. Found out later Charlie was at the Motown Museum. Sometimes I'm dumber than a box of rocks.

Scotty
Irvine, CA

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 8, 2018 02:48

(Pre Internet, and it's very easy to forget how fast information flows these days....)

In the early summer of 1969 and I lived in London and there were rumours aplenty about The Stones playing a gig at the Coliseum in Rome. We already had a holiday organised to be in the area at about that time, so I spent the day on the phone trying to extract information from first of all the music press, and then when they got fed up with me and passed me on to The Stones office, the Stones Machine. Nothing ruled in, nothing ruled out.

So, off we went to the vicinity of Rome, and we paid a trip to the Coliseum on a date a few days before the rumoured date.

We judged (rightly as it turned out) that there was no prospect of any sort of show there. (Right at the time, wrong a lot later when after renovations McCartney did 2 shows).

We got on with our holiday, and were on the beach in Italy when we heard about Brian's death.

We started back towards London and made good time. Such good time that we spent an extra day in Northern France not travelling. So we got back a day later than we could have.

We crossed the channel, drove back to London and wondered what all of the crowds in the middle was all about.

Ouch. By delaying our trip home by a day we'd missed the Stones in The Park in 1969!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 8, 2018 03:44

being shut out of the Orpheum theater BOston 2002

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 8, 2018 04:46

Not going to Hartford in 1999 where I would’ve heard I Got The Blues.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: May 8, 2018 04:50

driving past the Hampton coliseum as the crowds were gathering in the parking lot in 1981 in a rideshare Volkswagen from Old DOminion Universy back to Northern Virginia.

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: May 8, 2018 06:14

Toad’s Place, 1989. Some people were heading there after work, but no, I had to go home.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 8, 2018 12:17

I don't know if one could call it "missed opportunities", but I came to Australia from Europe in 2014 to see the Stones at Hanging Rock. We all know the sad reason while the whole tour was cancelled. No big deal, so I came back again in October, again for Hanging Rock (still had the concert tickets off course) and again no Hanging Rock, because Mick had lost his voice in Melbourne. Hanging Rock could have been fun, but as BV says: No regrets, because 54 years alive with the Stones, one can't wish for more. Okay, 55 years then smileys with beer (and counting cool smiley)
Oh yes, I decided last minute not to go to Hyde Park in 1969, because. Of the announcement of former member Brian Jones' sudden death. Although I already knew well that him quiting/leaving the band was the only option, I still felt to sad and could not imagine it could became a good concert, aaaggghhh

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 8, 2018 13:05

georgie48
I don't know if one could call it "missed opportunities", but I came to Australia from Europe in 2014 to see the Stones at Hanging Rock. We all know the sad reason while the whole tour was cancelled. No big deal, so I came back again in October, again for Hanging Rock (still had the concert tickets off course) and again no Hanging Rock, because Mick had lost his voice in Melbourne. Hanging Rock could have been fun, but as BV says: No regrets, because 54 years alive with the Stones, one can't wish for more.

A metaphysical "missed opportunity" was that we looked fairly seriously at buying a house about 200metres from the stage site at Hanging Rock. I'd have been mega-pissed off if we'd bought it and then the no-shows happened.

The two cancelled gigs at Hanging Rock still irk me. We live not far from there, and it's a dream of a venue in right next to the famous (and deeply spooky) Rock.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 8, 2018 13:40

CaptainCorella
georgie48
I don't know if one could call it "missed opportunities", but I came to Australia from Europe in 2014 to see the Stones at Hanging Rock. We all know the sad reason while the whole tour was cancelled. No big deal, so I came back again in October, again for Hanging Rock (still had the concert tickets off course) and again no Hanging Rock, because Mick had lost his voice in Melbourne. Hanging Rock could have been fun, but as BV says: No regrets, because 54 years alive with the Stones, one can't wish for more.

A metaphysical "missed opportunity" was that we looked fairly seriously at buying a house about 200metres from the stage site at Hanging Rock. I'd have been mega-pissed off if we'd bought it and then the no-shows happened.

The two cancelled gigs at Hanging Rock still irk me. We live not far from there, and it's a dream of a venue in right next to the famous (and deeply spooky) Rock.

We actually visited Hanging Rock (and climbed it) during that March 2014 visit. We heard about its spooky image. Really worth visiting! Some famous acts (Springsteen f.i.) actually performed there ...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2499
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home