Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen... I give you SWAY
Posted by: Knut ()
Date: September 25, 2005 20:26

thank you!!!!!!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 25, 2005 20:32

gazza its never been confirmed cyhmk was played in 71, just speculation

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: September 25, 2005 20:40

That's awesome !!! Thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 25, 2005 21:01

If I havent written you back its not because I'm ignoring you, its cause I'm swamped. I run a recording studio in downtown Louisville and have been gone for the weekend, so that alone has my inbox filled, plus a festival called Zerofest that I'm putting on. If you want to get my attention just hook me up with a nice 18-26 year old attractive Stones chick. I'm just looking for my one. I dont need to try all the flavors, just looking for my everlasting one, and its a difficult search as most of you know.

Funny thing is I knew the recording would comeout good, but its not even done yet. I'm taking it to my studio, gonna relax, chill, and mix the hell outta it. Also recorded the Beck set so I'll work on that too, though not as much. When its all done I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Will keep you posted.

As for my gear I use a Sony HIMD recorder (I was a big Sharp minidisc fan but Sony created the HIMD format which is far superior for more reasons than I care to write an essay about at the moment) and a pair of CoreSound stealth mics. My recorder is an MZ-RH910 and I use straight Binaural mics. I'd recoment cardiods if you're far away. And below is where my seats were...

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: September 25, 2005 21:03

Thanks very much for the track Drake ~ it's much appreciated!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 25, 2005 22:00

SeNdEr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THANK YOU VERY MUCH!, it sounds great, i would
> like to know what do people have to say about the
> setlist?

What Jimmie said.

The first live debut in several few weeks hardly changes everything

Its not like the setlists over the recent weeks have suddenly become more better than they were

Last night was an interesting setlist with welcome additions but the proof of the pudding will be whether they continue to take chances.

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: September 25, 2005 22:27

I cannot thank you enough! I've thought of nothing in the short hours since the set was posted other than "How? When am I gonna be able to hear this!!!?"

It's a great version, and will get better.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 25, 2005 22:38

Gazza Wrote:

> Its not like the setlists over the recent weeks
> have suddenly become more better than they were
>
> Last night was an interesting setlist with welcome
> additions but the proof of the pudding will be
> whether they continue to take chances.

Gazza,

Here's a question for you: After 13 or 14 public performances into the tour they've done 36 different tunes and that's with Keith pretty much standing pat night after night, so how many should they have done in your view?

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 25, 2005 22:38

thanks Drake!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: September 25, 2005 22:40

Not only a great rig Drake, but where you were sitting was perfect to catch the sound from the speaker tower if I'm not mistaken.

As far as what you do with the recording, its up to you. You don't owe it to anyone.

Date: September 26, 2005 00:01

melillo Wrote:
> gazza its never been confirmed cyhmk was played in
> 71, just speculation

Theres no recording of it from 1971, but then theres very little from 1971 in circulation

However, Keith, Bill and Bobby Keys have each stated in separate interviews/accounts that they played it early on the 1971 tour. Common consensus is that it was played a couple of times and then dropped as they made a bit of a hash of it.

I've seen a reference in a book to a show in Glasgow which mentions it was played and in his "Rolling With The Stones" book, Wyman lists it as being played in Newcastle on 4.3.71 - the opening show of that tour.

If only one of the 3 guys onstage at those shows had said it had been played, I think we could have reasonably questioned whether or not their memory was playing tricks with them, but, to me anyway, 3 of them saying so is a solid enough endorsement.

Date: September 26, 2005 00:15

camper88 Wrote:
continue to take chances.
>
>
> Gazza,
>
> Here's a question for you: After 13 or 14 public
> performances into the tour they've done 36
> different tunes and that's with Keith pretty much
> standing pat night after night, so how many should
> they have done in your view?
>
>

Mmm/....leaving aside that the last tour had 3 different show formats and most of the shows on this tour are one night stands, I'd still have expected more for several reasons based on the band's habits on previous few tours..

1) they tend to experiment much more early on in a tour before 'settling' on a setlist that, in their view, works

2) Keith's set has on the last few tours been the most unpredictable part of the show in terms of content. Its not uncommon for him to change BOTH songs of his mini-set from one show to the next, particularly if its two nights in the one city. Its very surprising that this hasnt happened at all, even though theyve played 2 shows in Boston and 2 in New York - plus theyve had a week off. He's mentioned in past interviews that he likes to change the show around a lot but in the end its up to Mick and whether he feels like it. Yet, on this tour, its Keith's set that hasnt changed at all. very strange.

3) they did specifically mention working on an arena setlist, yet the first arena show on the tour was the same as the standard stadium show up to that point and subsequent arena shows (prior to last night) have maintained that familiar pattern

4) each tour in the last 25 years or more has seen increasingly varied setlists from the one that preceded it. Regardless of what people have said, the band ARE aware that there are people who go to multiple shows and theyve mentioned that in interviews in recent tours when talking about changing the playlists around

5) theyve rehearsed a huge amount of songs. Naturally, its not reasonable to expect all or even nearly all of them to be played as some of them will be tried and ditched for good reasons.

Taking the above 5 points into account and based on past history, had you asked me that question just before opening night at Fenway I would probably have guessed that by now they would have played in excess of 50 different songs.

But who knows. Maybe they kept the setlists so rigid for the first part of the tour because of familiarity and they felt they hadnt rehearsed enough other songs properly. With a week off, maybe theyve had time to work up something fresh and last night's surprise might be a sign of things to come and from now on, maybe they WILL make changes.

"She Saw Me Coming" was soundchecked in Columbus so it seems we'll be getting that one soon as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-26 00:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: ddurando150 ()
Date: September 26, 2005 00:23

thank you drake sounds great

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: September 26, 2005 00:29

Maybe if the do it a couple of more times, Ronnie can start tp play an even better solo..

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 26, 2005 00:35

gazza i am on your side about cyhmk, but even wyman has loads of mistakes
in both of his books, but since they all seem tio remember playing it
i guess its most likely true

Posted by: RubyKel ()
Date: September 26, 2005 03:40

Thanks drake!!

This was great! Really appreciate you posting it...it really did make my day. I'm seeing them 4 times this tour....I hope I get to see/hear it once.

Really....thanks again!!

RubyKel

Date: September 26, 2005 08:47

Let me clarify: I will most DEFINATELY release the entire show. When I'm done with it I will definately torrent the entire show Beck. I'm not sure WHERE I'll put the torrent up but we'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I am very serious about taping shows. If any of you happen to have an extra ticket to a show, I'll drive most anywhere in the US and tape the show for you. I have a set of binaural mics and cardiod mics. My seats for Columbus are EXACTLY where I wanted to sit, so I used binaurals. If I were to sit far away from the PA I would take my cardiods.

No one seems to have discussed the rest of the show so let me just say it was fantastic. We got flawless/near-flawless versions of She's So Cold, Rough Justice, Back of My Hand, All Down the Line, Mr. Pitiful, Infamy and Oh No Not You Again. Everything was phenomenal, even the weird groove of Shattered was entertaining. The hotrocks were killer and the weave was in full swing.

The ONLY bad part of the show was the first bit of Brown Sugar. Keith screwed up the beginning of it but once it got rolling it was all downhill. This had me genuinely worried at first. But then again, Brown Sugar was messed up in Detroit during Licks and that turned out to be the best stadium show of the entire tour.

Columbus was the single greatest concert I have ever attended. Then again I've never seen them in a venue smaller than Nationwide (Columbus) or Gaylord (Nashville). I would kill to attend a club gig.

Take care
Drake

Date: September 26, 2005 08:58

Well done and praises in high places

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: September 26, 2005 09:10

Very cool, drake, thanks

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: September 26, 2005 10:37

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS - GREAT SOUND! A CLASSIC MOMENT IN STONES HISTORY!!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 26, 2005 10:46

Gazza Wrote:
> 2) Keith's set has on the last few tours been the
> most unpredictable part of the show in terms of
> content. Its not uncommon for him to change BOTH
> songs of his mini-set from one show to the next,
> particularly if its two nights in the one city.
> Its very surprising that this hasnt happened at
> all, even though theyve played 2 shows in Boston
> and 2 in New York - plus theyve had a week off.
> He's mentioned in past interviews that he likes to
> change the show around a lot but in the end its up
> to Mick and whether he feels like it. Yet, on this
> tour, its Keith's set that hasnt changed at all.
> very strange.

Keith's set in 97 was exactly the same from September 23rd to November 18th. All About You followed by Wanna Hold You. On the fourth night in Oakland (November 19th) he played You Don't Have To Mean It for the first time. Thief In The Night was later added, but not until the 2nd leg in January 98.

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: September 26, 2005 10:55

thank you Drake
you are now officially my new God :-))))))

you rock !!!!!!!!

Peter
www.rolling-stones-belgium.com

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 26, 2005 11:10

Drake: IORR member of the year. grinning smiley

DAMN this recording rules. Great great quality. And as a debut it rules too.

I got "Rolling With The Stones for my birthday. Wyman mentions that they did this tune in the early seventies. But I also read somewhere that Wyman's book is full of mistakes.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: September 26, 2005 12:21

Thanks very much Drake
It's monday morning.....it's raining.....you've brightened up my day!

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: September 26, 2005 12:44

Drake, from now on you're the guy who delivered us the Sway-boot! You're kind of holy now! hehe...

Date: September 26, 2005 17:19

I am not God. smiling smiley but thank you for the encouragment!! I do promise to get this thing out very soon, I just want to make sure its of top quality.

Do any of you live in or near Louisville, KY?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 26, 2005 17:35

drake Wrote:
> I am not God. but thank you for the
> encouragment!!

Fine, you're not god. You're a messenger of the gods. Not a bad gig.

Date: September 26, 2005 17:37

erikjjf Wrote:
> Keith's set in 97 was exactly the same from
> September 23rd to November 18th. All About You
> followed by Wanna Hold You. On the fourth night in
> Oakland (November 19th) he played You Don't Have
> To Mean It for the first time. Thief In The Night
> was later added, but not until the 2nd leg in
> January 98.

I hope thats a sign that after being static for a few weeks, he mixes it up

However, from 1998 on, its been pretty variable. The Uk tour in '99 and the Licks shows especially

Date: September 26, 2005 18:16

i've gotta repeat : BIG thanks...this is simply a gift...well...almost from above smiling smiley

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: September 26, 2005 22:16

again thanks, this recording made me decide to get some coresounds mics as well.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home