Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Van Morrison best songs
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 5, 2018 01:20

I have always thought that the Stones should cover Gloria. I went to Oakland to see Van open for them with that hope in mind, either MJ joining Van and his band or vice versa. But it did not happen. I love Van's voice on Astral Weeks. He's doing a Dylanesque drawl in the pronunciation of each word:

Could you find me?
Would you kiss-a my eyes?
To lay me down
In silence easy
To be born again

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 5, 2018 09:09

Apart from Brown Eyed Girl

Here Comes The Night
Spanish Rose
Wild Night
It Stoned Me

When Real Real Gone came out, CFOX in Vancouver played it alot and I just loved it, especially the verse: And Sam Cooke is on the radio, and the night is filled with space, and your fingertips touch my face, you're a friend of mine...and I'm real real gone. One of my favourite lyrics of all time.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 5, 2018 13:56

I like his “No guru...” album, great bunch of songs.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 14, 2018 21:00

Thread has inspired me to go to Vegas for at least one show while he's playing Caesar's Palace Jan.25 - Feb 2.
Presale tomorrow [www.ticketmaster.com]

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 15, 2018 03:37

My best friend and I went through a Van Morrison period back in the 70's and early 80's. A friend I worked with brought us a cassette tape of Van at the old Century Theatre in Buffalo. We never gave it back. In fact my best friends brother who was a bigger fan took it from us.

I've been waiting for about 40 years for Van to make a tour stop in Buffalo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 07:21 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2018 03:58

DGA35

Here Comes The Night
Spanish Rose
Wild Night
It Stoned Me

When Real Real Gone came out, CFOX in Vancouver played it alot and I just loved it, especially the verse: And Sam Cooke is on the radio, and the night is filled with space, and your fingertips touch my face, you're a friend of mine...and I'm real real gone. One of my favourite lyrics of all time.

thumbs up

A track that hasn't been mentioned is The Way Young Lovers Do, off Astral Weeks...love that one.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 15, 2018 10:33

And The Healing Has Begun; another one of my most very favorites in the current dozens or so, of beloved Van gems, that help me through, and delight me.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 15, 2018 11:45

As a big Van Morrison fan here are my choices among the lots and lots of Van Morrison's great songs:

And the healing has begun
Redwood tree
Daring night
Across the bridge where angels dwell
The beauty of the days gone by
Sweet thing (live Montreux 1990)
Avalon sunset
Tupelo honey
Bulbs
Santa Fe; Beautiful obsession

Alternate choices would be:
Stepping out queen
Joyous sound

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2018 15:14

The Sicilian
My best friend and I went through a Van Morrison period back in the 70's and early 80's. A friend I worked with brought us a cassette tape of Van at the old Century Theatre in Buffalo. We never gave it back. In fact my best friends brother who was a bigger fan took it from us.

You'll most likely have a long wait. He doesn't do tours as such and hasn't done for decades - usually weekend residencies in Belfast hotels, the occasional festival and short bursts of shows that last merely a few days. When he plays the US, its invariably California and a couple of major cities in the north east like New York or Boston.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 16, 2018 04:10

Gazza
The Sicilian

You'll most likely have a long wait. He doesn't do tours as such and hasn't done for decades - usually weekend residencies in Belfast hotels, the occasional festival and short bursts of shows that last merely a few days. When he plays the US, its invariably California and a couple of major cities in the north east like New York or Boston.

I've always held out hope. I know this sounds kind of weird, but I equate Van Morrison with Donovan. I've seen Donovan in three different venues in Buffalo including Rich Stadium on a bill with Yes, Bob Seger, and J.Geils. Anyways, Donovan rarely tours and when he does I never miss it. His show is best in a more intimate setting. I always expected to see Van Morrison in a club or small theatre. Now that would be a real treat.

Why don't you encourage him to visit our fine city a play a show. I'd love to see him open for the Stones.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: May 16, 2018 04:43

Going to see him in Philly with willie Nelson. $20 a ticket. He has some great music

Date: May 17, 2018 03:46

This is the one time I saw Van. I'm really speechless about how it effected me.
Let's just say it was a very postitive experience; even a priceless one, personally speaking.
I was amazed and thrilled; tearful at times in incredible happiness that's hard to describe...my girlfriend was very sweet about it and similarly moved.

[www.setlist.fm]

July 26, 1986 at Universal Amphitheater in L.A. Very good sounding place w about 6,000 friends. Perfect.

SETLIST

Danny Boy / Got to Go Back
Moondance
Vanlose Stairway
Ivory Tower
Thanks for the Information
Tore Down a la Rimbaud
It's All in the Game / Make It Real One More Time
Northern Muse (Solid Ground)
Lark Ascending / Haunts of Ancient Peace
She Gives Me Religion
Cry for Home
A Sense of Wonder
And the Healing Has Begun
Cleaning Windows
In the Garden (from the then current (1986's "No Guru No Method No Teacher" LP)
Summertime in England
A Town Called Paradise
Rave On, John Donne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 03:47 by hopkins.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 17, 2018 03:52

treaclefingers
DGA35

Here Comes The Night
Spanish Rose
Wild Night
It Stoned Me

thumbs up

A track that hasn't been mentioned is The Way Young Lovers Do, off Astral Weeks...love that one.

Same here. Astral Weeks is actually the first CD I've ever bought, even without hearing any of its songs before. What led me to buy it was a very good review that I read when it was re-released. After the first listening, it became one of my favorite albums of all time.

Date: May 17, 2018 04:54

Spanish Rose really got me; a LOT on that, "blowin' your mind' LP when he was being produced by Bert Berns.
an amazing story there w Bert also; tho the deal ended in acrimony,
Van was to give him a lot of respect in a recent documentary that I've only read about; maybe a trailer or short clip.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 17, 2018 04:55

Van Morrison - Goodbye Baby (Baby Goodbye) - 1967 45rpm
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 17, 2018 09:48

I saw him one one of his best concerts of his entire carreer at the Montreux Jazz Festival, July 1990, from the first row, standing just six feet from me. When I came home a friend of mine had sent me the tape of the radio broadcast by Swiss radio Station DRS. For me, the Highlight was 'Sweet thing' but the entire concert was incredible. Unfortunately it has never been officially released, and the video footage of 'Sweet thing' formerly available on Youtube has vanished.

The DRS broadcast is available on bootleg CDs and on Youtube:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 17, 2018 09:51

This concert at Essen, April 4, 1982 (Rockpalast TV/radio simulcast) made me a hardcore Van Morrison fan (but, similar to the Stones, no fanatic):

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-23 09:24 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: May 23, 2018 04:30

I just picked up into the music. Looking forward to it

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2018 08:42

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
DGA35

Here Comes The Night
Spanish Rose
Wild Night
It Stoned Me

thumbs up

Same here. Astral Weeks is actually the first CD I've ever bought, even without hearing any of its songs before. What led me to buy it was a very good review that I read when it was re-released. After the first listening, it became one of my favorite albums of all time.

ditto

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home