Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Unreleased livealbum 1972, anybody seen it? Any copies of it?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 24, 2018 18:18

Captainchaos
the cover (Both front and back) is maybe my favourite Stones cover ever.
IFFFF the sound quality is equal or comparable to the richness of the original brussels Boot I'd sell my family for this.

In comparison to the original brussels (not the compressed facial boot booo hisss ha ha), is it just me or does the sound quality on almost all the boots from the 70s taylor era sound thin and crispy in comparison. They all seem to lack the natural earthy phat bottom end overall - and also the uber ace guitar tones.

Its the one thing that puts me off, in terms of sonics I've not heard anything that comes up close to it. if there is, please somebody let me know!!!! smiling smiley
Well IMHO, no live Stones recording has sounded as "big" than Brussels does .What a glorious rightful and very booming sound that Brussels has, never have a heard a more perfectly balanced really thick bottom end Bill Wyman bass dominated with the most crystal clear crisp upper midrange mix than Brussels .Ditto for Charlie's drums and Mick's vocals .So beautiful of a mix smiling smiley

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: April 24, 2018 19:05

TheGreek
Well IMHO, no live Stones recording has sounded as "big" than Brussels does .What a glorious rightful and very booming sound that Brussels has, never have a heard a more perfectly balanced really thick bottom end Bill Wyman bass dominated with the most crystal clear crisp upper midrange mix than Brussels .Ditto for Charlie's drums and Mick's vocals .So beautiful of a mix smiling smiley

And sadly Brussels Affair was only officially released on CD in an outrageously priced boxset or as a bonus of an hard to find (and expensive) japanese deluxe edition of The Marquee Club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 19:06 by Massimo68.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 24, 2018 21:10

Massimo68
TheGreek

And sadly Brussels Affair was only officially released on CD in an outrageously priced boxset or as a bonus of an hard to find (and expensive) japanese deluxe edition of The Marquee Club.

BUT to clarify, its not the same recording/gig or mix as the unofficial boot.
THAT is the one that is for me how a live recording should be, the official one sounds mixed for modern ears and lacks the organic warmth of the boot, altho granted in itself its a great release, its just not of the same quality. too compressed, digital and punchy, not as organic. as i said tho, its a GREAT release, just not as good, mixed for different ears.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 24, 2018 21:11

TheGreek
Captainchaos
the cover (Both front and back) is maybe my favourite Stones cover ever.
IFFFF the sound quality is equal or comparable to the richness of the original brussels Boot I'd sell my family for this.

In comparison to the original brussels (not the compressed facial boot booo hisss ha ha), is it just me or does the sound quality on almost all the boots from the 70s taylor era sound thin and crispy in comparison. They all seem to lack the natural earthy phat bottom end overall - and also the uber ace guitar tones.

Its the one thing that puts me off, in terms of sonics I've not heard anything that comes up close to it. if there is, please somebody let me know!!!! smiling smiley

agree 10000000000% its a fantastic mix!

Date: April 24, 2018 22:14

Doxa

Here is something in their 1973 glory (credits to kleermaker): [www.youtube.com]

- Doxa

Here's a snippet proving that Taylor still had it in 2012.

Credits to Kleermaker- wtf is he?. [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 24, 2018 22:37

Massimo68
TheGreek

The Brussels Affair was released on both vinyl and cd, included in the expensive box set. It sounds fantastic, imo.

Date: April 24, 2018 22:43

Captainchaos
Massimo68
TheGreek

BUT to clarify, its not the same recording/gig or mix as the unofficial boot.
THAT is the one that is for me how a live recording should be, the official one sounds mixed for modern ears and lacks the organic warmth of the boot, altho granted in itself its a great release, its just not of the same quality. too compressed, digital and punchy, not as organic. as i said tho, its a GREAT release, just not as good, mixed for different ears.

BS and MR are the same - you can compare.

If you prefer normal panning of instruments (ie guitars in separate channels, instead of all over the place), the official release is superior, imo.

The rather (too) modern drum sound is a bit over the top, methinks, but all in all it sounds great.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 06:00

So we know why The Stones scrapped their part of this release, anyone know why Stevie Wonder didn’t release his tracks?

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 19:27

why have decca and klein never prevented other live stones album releases.they have performed many songs from the decca era on live albums without any problem, so whats the problem with the 1972 proposed release.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 25, 2018 19:33

buttons67
why have decca and klein never prevented other live stones album releases.they have performed many songs from the decca era on live albums without any problem, so whats the problem with the 1972 proposed release.

The embargo was for seven years from 1970. That's why they could release Love You Live in 1977.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 25, 2018 21:31

Doxa's link is to one of the London '73 performances notable for the absence of a sax solo. It's my fav performance of that song. It's all Taylor and he takes you on a musical journey to Jagger's obvious approval. Yes, kudos to KM and the recorder SD.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 26, 2018 12:39

Just for fun I started fantasize what the 'Great Lost Live Album' might've been like. As far as I know, the track list has never surfaced?

I think one 'problem' they needed to sort out was that of not over-lapping too much with YA-YA'S. Actually that wasn't any big problem. It was surprise for me - never thought that earlier that much - that how different a typical 1972 setlist was in compared to a typical 1969 set list. Of typical 16 songs only four were 1969 regulars! ("Love In Vain", "Midnight Rambler", "Flash" and "Street Fighting Man"). People, reflect that for a moment...

Keith mentions about "three old songs" they had problems with Decca. We know one of them being "You Can't Always Get What You Want". An educated guess is that the second must be "Gimme Shelter". So there is one left from the group of "Love In Vain", "Midnight Rambler", "Flash", "Street Fighting Man" plus sometimes played "Honky Tonk Women" and "Satisfaction". No matter how great were those versions of "Love In Vain" and "Midnight Rambler" during 1972, I think the versions they already released in YA-YA'S were so definitive and 'blueprint-like' that I doubt they would have released them again. "Honky Tonk Women" and "Satisfaction" were random encores, so I dont think they wouldn't have made the cut either. So we are left with "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Street Fighting Man". They ended their shows with the latter - as they did in 1969 and in YA-YA'S as well, so I think that might sound too much repitition album-wise. So my pick would be "Flash" - taking also that it was rather different version than they did in YA-YA'S. Iconic song like that would make a nice album closer, despite already 'debuted' live in YA-YA'S.

So here is my imaginary track list for that lost album:

SIDE ONE
1. "Brown Sugar"
2. "Bitch"
3. "Rocks Off"
4. "Gimme Shelter"
5. "Happy"
6. "Tumbling Dice"

SIDE TWO
1. "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
2. "Sweet Virginia"
3. "All Down The Line"
4. "Bye Bye Johnny"
5. "Rip This Joint"
6. "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

I changed the typical order of "Get Want" and "Virginia" just for the 'flow'. There are probably too many EXILE numbers - especially the versions of "Rocks Off" and "Sweet Virginia" probably weren't good enough to be released (without some studio tricks) - but who cares: that would have made a helluva album!

Any better suggestions?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-26 12:47 by Doxa.

Date: April 26, 2018 12:53

Despite what Keith said, I believe there were more than three tracks they had legal problems with. Must have been JJF, SFM, MR and GS, but could also be ADTL and BS (written in the Klein-era).

These versions wouldn't have needed any trickery, imo smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 26, 2018 13:24

DandelionPowderman
Despite what Keith said, I believe there were more than three tracks they had legal problems with. Must have been JJF, SFM, MR and GS, but could also be ADTL and BS (written in the Klein-era).

True. I recall reading once from somewhere about those 'problematic' songs, and "Brown Sugar" being listed. Was that for Keith already in 1973 an "old song", I don't know...

Anyway, my whole post was 'just my imagination' based on some conditions... not to be taken too seriously...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home