Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

elton john last night(msg)
Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 23, 2005 04:07

this post in no way is to compare ej vs the stones,there both great and stones blew me away last week at the garden.just wanted to let elton fans on this board know he played over 3 and a half hours last night.talk about given fans more than there money worth.opened with 9 songs in a row off new album,then did the captain fantastic album(minus 2 songs)then played 2 hours.i love elton,but like him or not no one can deny what he puts into his shows,his love of music and his fans are unmatched.

john scialfa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-23 04:08 by backstreetboy.

Re: elton john last night(msg)
Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: September 23, 2005 04:37

EJ has great songs but I know I couldn't stand to be around the guy for 5 minutes.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: September 23, 2005 04:40

I went to see Elton at MSG with my then girlfriend (now wife) back in 1985. We had already chosen "Your Song" as our wedding song. I dug Elton since Tumbleweed Connection through Captain Fantastik, but gradually lost interest as he became more and more pop.

Anyway, my wife and I agree to this day that we were disappointed in that show, but the next night he canceled a second MSG show due to illness, so perhaps he had an off night. Still, over the years I've noticed him cancel dates at an above average rate. Surprised he can do all those Vegas shows. More power to him.

Over 30 songs were played in his setlist in the concert you spoke of....that really is awesome. To expect that from the Stones (not that you said that) would be unrealistic. They've never been a band to do that kinda show anyway and obviously it'd be taxing on them now.

Bottomline...interesting post...I hadn't thought about Elton in a few years.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: September 23, 2005 05:44

EJ sucks.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: September 23, 2005 06:09

Elton John, member of my holy trinity:

Keith Richards
David Bowie
Elton John

Having said that, I will say that my partner and I saw his Vegas show about a year ago and, boy, what a stinker. It wasn't a rock show, it was, well, a Vegas act: Spent half the time introducing songs, telling little stories about them (snooze fest) and then all the lame inflatables and stuff... First Elton John concert I ever left feeling deflated. Very disappointed.

On a brighter side, his 2001 Songs From the West Coast is one of the best albums of the decade so far, in my humble opinion.

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: September 23, 2005 07:44

Yeah Elton the great 70s rocker! "Tumbleweed Connection" is his best album followed by his Greatest Hits. I was really into Elton all the way up to his "Sad Songs" single from 1985. I saw him on that tour and Davey Johnstone was alive and ripping it up on the guitar. This was the original Elton John Band and they sounded terrific that year. Oh, who can forget "11 17 70" which is easily one of the greatest live rock records of all time (in my top 20)

Of course EJ can't be compared the almighty Stones. I would never do that.

Regards,

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 23, 2005 07:49

11 17 70

Yeah, that's a good one.

I'd rather hear him do that than 3 1/2 hours, even if he did do Captain Fantastic.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: September 23, 2005 13:01

Elton John is twice the entertainer than Macca.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: September 23, 2005 14:09

Elton John is a tremendous live concert, end of story.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 23, 2005 14:27

Regardless of what you think of him or his music, to be able to keep a crowd entertained for 3 and a half hours is very impressive. Plus its good to see he has enough confidence in his new material to present it in the way he did.

Saw him twice back in '84 and '86. He was very impressive. The second time, he had Ray Cooper playing percussion, who was worth the entrance fee on his own!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 23, 2005 14:49

does elton have a spat with keith, over keith saying elton writes songs about
dead blondes which was not a nice thing to say to start with by keith

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: September 23, 2005 15:14

he puts on a good show, but his voice isn't nearly as good as it used to be.
glad Mick's voice has aged to perfection live.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 23, 2005 16:46

Saw him two years ago and he was absolutely superb!

Date: September 23, 2005 16:58

theres a Philly show on Dime from a few weeks ago
one of the best aud boots i have ever heard
9 new songs then 2 hrs of hits

Posted by: bianca ()
Date: September 23, 2005 17:01

Saw him in 1984 at Wembley Stadium when he was still doing cocaine and he was absolutely fantastic. Saw him a few years later when he was clean and I was bored to tears. Got dragged to see him in 1992 and walked out after the 8th long piano solo.

Also saw the documentary his boyfriend made about him Tantrums and Tiara's, and despise the spoiled brat so much I wouldn't go to see him if I was being forced at gunpoint.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: September 23, 2005 22:10

I would rather be beat 'en with a CANING rod......i saw him/her in dnever and left ..he did do brown suger but it was so lame...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1893
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home