Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT iPod help
Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: March 10, 2018 05:08

Have the iPod classic. It has just stopped giving outbound. I use it for everything. I have had it repaired before. If I need to change to another system what does anyone recommend. I do a lot of camping so need some music. Any suggestions appreciated. My old system had 10,000 songs on it. Cheers

Re: OT iPod help
Posted by: Tugboat ()
Date: March 10, 2018 07:58

Donnebr,

What do you mean when you write "It has just stopped giving outbound"? I have two iPod Classics I use on a daily basis and they are pretty sturdy. More details would help.

Thank you.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-10 07:59 by Tugboat.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 10, 2018 12:40

Donnebr

If I need to change to another system what does anyone recommend.

The last iPod Classic had a 160 GB HDD - but now there're microSD-Cards with 400 GB capacity on the market:

"Old" 256 GB microSD-Cards -- now available with 400 GB ($200).

If you prefer an Audio-Player over a Smartphone then the Players from FiiO come closest to the iPod Classic.

There're also HighEnd-Players from Astell&Kern. And Sony has still the Walkman ....

Date: March 10, 2018 13:30

Donnebr

I do a lot of camping so need some music.

Maybe a ruggedized Smartphone (+ high-capacity microSD-Card) could be a solution then, for instance the Caterpillar S41 (+ maybe in combination with an Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker) ....

Date: March 10, 2018 23:03

I have the iPod classic. First it just stopped working. I think the hard drive crashed. I got it repaired & it worked ok. Them it was a big temperamental. Finally when I play it no music comes out r volume.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: March 10, 2018 23:57

I have an Ipod Video (5th Gen) which I upgraded to 240GB hard drive. I did the uograde myself buth there are people who'll do it for you too. I've got approx 20,000 songs on there and there's room for more. However I've read that Itumes doesn't like more than 20,000 on the older units so I've left it at that.
I also have an Iphone 7 with 256GB memory which currently has about 22,000 songs on it and another 60Gb or so of space to fill.

Date: March 11, 2018 04:07

I just don’t know why it won’t give any volume

Posted by: Tugboat ()
Date: March 11, 2018 05:08

There are some helpful hints here: [www.ifixit.com]

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 11, 2018 10:08

The FiiO that was recommended in an earlier post here looks really nice and even has Bluetooth connection. It surly beats iPod Classic.

A question!

iPod Classic cannot handle FLAC. And WAW is too big in size, so what format do you use for iPod Classic that sounds CD quality?

Date: March 11, 2018 10:55

frenki09

iPod Classic cannot handle FLAC. And WAW is too big in size, so what format do you use for iPod Classic that sounds CD quality?

Try ALAC - it's Apple's equivalent to FLAC.

On a Mac you can convert Music via iTunes (Import settings: Apple Lossless) or via the XLD program to ALAC.

Otherwise use AAC - the 'Mastered for iTunes' files should be better than CD-Quality because they're using 24bit-HighRes-files as source and Apple's own Encoder uses the 24bit better than the Standard-Bitmapping on a 16bit-CD.

Date: March 11, 2018 13:07

Irix
frenki09

On a Mac you can convert Music via iTunes (Import settings: Apple Lossless) or via the XLD program to ALAC.

Otherwise use AAC - the 'Mastered for iTunes' files should be better than CD-Quality because they're using 24bit-HighRes-files as source and Apple's own Encoder uses the 24bit better than the Standard-Bitmapping on a 16bit-CD.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am using Windows 10. I will look into this more.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: March 11, 2018 15:29

My ipod classic broke down last fall.
I decided to buy a new one from amazon germany.
It cost me about 500€ but its worth it. It wasent in its origigan package but it was brand new. No signs of use at all.

My Ipods have always handled flac files.

Date: March 11, 2018 15:54

rebelhipi
My ipod classic broke down last fall.
I decided to buy a new one from amazon germany.
It cost me about 500€ but its worth it. It wasent in its origigan package but it was brand new. No signs of use at all.

Really? I thought FLAC would not work with iPod Classics. I guess I will do more research on this.

Date: March 11, 2018 16:10

rebelhipi

Has the iPod an alternative Firmware then (such as Rockbox)?

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:04

I have an Ipod touch.
Never leave anywhere without it.

Great to have "big screen" for tvshows, movies and so on.

-TomR

Date: March 11, 2018 21:25

tomremi

I have an Ipod touch.

The 'iPod touch' is also available with 128GB ($299) and could be an alternative to the iPod Classic - [www.Apple.com] .

Date: March 12, 2018 01:14

Irix
frenki09

AAC is a coding scheme for LOSSY digital audio. I find it hard to believe that there is any advantage sound-wise to CD's and certainly not versus FLAC files given that the same source (High-Res or otherwise) is used.

I personally do not want anything to do with Apple and I certainly don't need their software to organize my music. The same goes for Microsoft and Google.

I prefer to manage my music on my own. Folders ; copy and paste on computer ..... to SD card or to USB drive or burn to disc. I simply just try to deal with the highest grade source files as possible.

Date: March 12, 2018 12:30

Winning Ugly VXII

AAC is a coding scheme for LOSSY digital audio. I find it hard to believe that there is any advantage sound-wise to CD's and certainly not versus FLAC files given that the same source (High-Res or otherwise) is used.

Yes - AAC is a lossy format, but I can imagine well that the advantage of the HighRes-24bit source-files minimizes the loss in sound-quality of the 'Mastered for iTunes' files. That only applies for 'Mastered for iTunes' vs. a plain Standard-CD.

Some years ago I've made a A/B-comparison between the GRRR! 88.2kHz/24bit HighRes-files and iTunes-AAC (HighRes directly encoded via iTunes to AAC). There was definitely a difference in sound-quality - but it was very small. With Apple Air-/EarPods (or Beats) you wouldn't notice the difference in a loud environment like a Car, Train or Airplane ....

Date: March 12, 2018 16:23

My earphone is a pretty good one: Etymotic ER4PT. Unfortunately I made the mistake of uploading my hole collection to my iPod Classic in mp4, and in a lower resolution. Bummer!

But I got a new iPod now and want to make sure I make the right choice this time. Lossy or not lossy it has to match my earphone.

So i would be great if you all could agree on a format, resolution that is doable, and not as big in size as WAW.

Date: March 12, 2018 16:23

The only way that would make sense would be if the source were different ..... or if an appropriate DAC (digital to analog converter) were not being used to listen to the 88.2kHz/24bit HighRes-files.

A lossy degradation of a music file (88.2kHz/24bit or otherwise) can't possibly make it sound better across all playback equipment.

Maybe it sounds better on some non-high fidelity equipment but,how can removing digital information result in better sound if you playback the audio with the right high fidelity gear.

Getting involved in high-resolution digital music files is not as simple as finding stuff that will play-back the file. Your whole chain of equipment should be set-up appropriately for it.

Add to that the fact that some high-resolution files released in the past decade or so have not even been sourced from a high-res source. The "Some Girls" digital "hi-res" files were merely upsampled .... at least in one release. I am not sure about the GRRR releases .... but the GRRR Blu-ray audio disc received good reviews from what I remember.

So,one would not only have to have the appropriate playback equipment to benefit from high-res music files,you would have to discern which files were actually true hi-res files from a hi-res source ..... and which files were only up-sampled.

Add to that the fact that high resolution playback equipment will only (better) expose any weaknesses and shortcomings (if they are there) in your music files.

In short,it's not a cheap,easy,quick solution hobby.

Date: March 12, 2018 16:36

frenki09
My earphone is a pretty good one: Etymotic ER4PT. Unfortunately I made the mistake of uploading my hole collection to my iPod Classic in mp4, and in a lower resolution. Bummer!

But I got a new iPod now and want to make sure I make the right choice this time. Lossy or not lossy it has to match my earphone.

So i would be great if you all could agree on a format, resolution that is doable, and not as big in size as WAW.

I would say FLAC if your iPod can play FLAC files.

I don't know if it can or not because I don't use an iPod. I would say that it probably can .... at least if you can add an app such as VLC or something similar. But,you can check or look up the documentation for your particular model of iPod.

FLAC has been pretty much universally accepted as the preferred format for live concert tape traders. For more than a decade now.

Date: March 12, 2018 18:02

Winning Ugly VXII
frenki09

I would say FLAC if your iPod can play FLAC files.

I don't know if it can or not because I don't use an iPod. I would say that it probably can .... at least if you can add an app such as VLC or something similar. But,you can check or look up the documentation for your particular model of iPod.

FLAC has been pretty much universally accepted as the preferred format for live concert tape traders. For more than a decade now.

I will check it! Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Date: March 12, 2018 20:55

Winning Ugly VXII

Maybe it sounds better on some non-high fidelity equipment but,how can removing digital information result in better sound if you playback the audio with the right high fidelity gear.

Again: it's only between iTunes-Stores' "Mastered for iTunes" (24bit-source) compared to a plain Standard-Audio-CD (16bit).

In other words: AAC itself is not as bad as suspected if the parameters are right.

Apple's iPod Classic is no HighRes-Player, doesn't support any Apps and can normally not play FLAC-files (but ALAC).

I have had an iPod Classic 5th Gen. [late 2005, 60 GB] - it was a very nice device, but then the Smartphones came and the iPod Classic cannot play HighRes-files (not to mention DSD) ....

Date: March 13, 2018 00:15

frenki09

Simple: use ALAC with the iPod Classic.

The ALAC-files have the same size (apart from some Bytes) as the FLAC files.

Both, ALAC and FLAC are lossless and interchangeable. I've converted (with XLD) a plain FLAC-file (w/o Meta-Data) to ALAC - and then the ALAC to WAV: it's bit-accurate (MD5/SHA1 Checksums) to the WAV-file converted from the original FLAC-file.

Under Windows the free 'MediaHuman Audio Converter' can for instance convert FLAC to ALAC (and other formats).

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: March 13, 2018 01:48

Irix
rebelhipi

Has the iPod an alternative Firmware then (such as Rockbox)?

I beg my pardon.

I meant WAV files.

Got confused.
Most of my music is in ALAC

Date: March 13, 2018 04:26

Irix
frenki09

Both, ALAC and FLAC are lossless and interchangeable. I've converted (with XLD) a plain FLAC-file (w/o Meta-Data) to ALAC - and then the ALAC to WAV: it's bit-accurate (MD5/SHA1 Checksums) to the WAV-file converted from the original FLAC-file.

Under Windows the free 'MediaHuman Audio Converter' can for instance convert FLAC to ALAC (and other formats).

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Then I will just stick to ALAC. Appreciate the help.

Date: March 13, 2018 07:36

Irix
Winning Ugly VXII

Again: it's only between iTunes-Stores' "Mastered for iTunes" (24bit-source) compared to a plain Standard-Audio-CD (16bit).

In other words: AAC itself is not as bad as suspected if the parameters are right.

Apple's iPod Classic is no HighRes-Player, doesn't support any Apps and can normally not play FLAC-files (but ALAC).

I have had an iPod Classic 5th Gen. [late 2005, 60 GB] - it was a very nice device, but then the Smartphones came and the iPod Classic cannot play HighRes-files (not to mention DSD) ....

But,standard 16-bit audio CD's have been mastered from various sources of various grades of quality. So,I am guessing here that the master source is not the same? And did the Stones really record "master tapes" for Apple iTunes or is it really a re-master derived from a 24-bit source recording??

Date: March 13, 2018 07:49

frenki09
Irix
frenki09

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Then I will just stick to ALAC. Appreciate the help.

The reason I didn't recommend ALAC is because,it is not nearly as widely supported across a wide range of equipment as FLAC is.

I f you plan on using only an iPod,it's not a problem obviously. But,if you want to play your files with other equipment,you might be compelled to convert the files again. Did not read that you bought iPod Classic ..... just iPod.

This was obviously an intentional move by Apple. The whole ALAC thing. Just the same as all of their proprietary connectors. They are clearly trying to tie people into their ecosystem as much as possible.

Date: March 13, 2018 09:33

Winning Ugly VXII
This was obviously an intentional move by Apple. The whole ALAC thing. Just the same as all of their proprietary connectors. They are clearly trying to tie people into their ecosystem as much as possible.

This exactly why I try to avoid anything Apple. iPhone has so much limitations too. (No micro card, limited hard disc size, doesn't work as a USB device, connectors, no headphone jack, etc.)

But I had an iPod for years, and got a new one for a very good price. But I feel it's unfair not to give people a choice to use FLAc for example, when all other brands give you the freedom to use what you prefer.

My next music player will be something different. I don't wanna be controlled like Apple limits what I can do and what I cannot. But they're still Winning Ugly, because Apple is trendy.

Date: March 13, 2018 10:10

Winning Ugly VXII

But,if you want to play your files with other equipment,you might be compelled to convert the files again.

No - just make a Backup of all your original FLAC, WAV, other Audio-files and store them on a safe place.

Then convert a copy of the FLAC or WAV-files which are only needed for the iPod Classic.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home