Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2018 No Filter Tour expectations...
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 27, 2018 23:28

Olly
Hairball
If it hasn't already, I expect Sympathy to be permanently moved out of the opening slot which they might have already done since Paris show #2?
Not a great way to start a show imo with drum loops and a screwed up solo (most of the time)- save that for the second half where it's less noticeable.

'Sympathy' was the ideal set opener, but I think it will be moved as the light nights of May, June and July will mean it won't be dark enough at the start of the show for the pyrotechnics and drama of the song to have their full impact.

I recall mixed reviews from those who attended the shows as well as those who watched it live online - some liked it as opener, some did not.
As mentioned above, it was eventually moved out of the opening slot for Paris #2 which made for a better show imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-27 23:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: February 27, 2018 23:32

Some very unique, never heard before guitar solos by Mr. Wood.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: February 28, 2018 00:03

Please don't start with SMU - I've seen the stones 4 times and its been that every time! I'm hoping for a few off BnL and a couple of surprises. Would love something like Going To A Go-Go and/or Just My Imagination. Hopefully Keith is on form, he was a bit ropey last time I saw them at Hyde Park. I'm sure the sound at London Stadium will be better than Hyde Park, it was far too low because of the residents.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 28, 2018 07:14

Hairball
If it hasn't already, I expect Sympathy to be permanently moved out of the opening slot which they might have already done since Paris show #2?

Sympathy was back in the opening slot for Paris #3.
Personally, I hope they would open with SFM.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 28, 2018 08:40

erikjjf
Hairball

Yes something that blasts off the show vs. the plodding drum loop enhanced Sympathy which comes off like a funeral dirge as opener.
I still enjoy Sympathy with all the bombast, flames, etc., but it's better suited further down the setlist imo.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: February 28, 2018 11:53

Sympathy for the Devil worked great as an opener last year, but I agree it would lose some of its effect in the daylight. I would move Start Me Up earlier in the set as I don't feel it belongs towards the end of the show. I'd like to see more of the Blue and Lonesome tracks in rotation as I loved that portion of the show.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 28, 2018 12:16

stonehearted
I expect that there will be the usual set list complaints here on IORR, from those who have followed every song of every tour they've ever done since the virtual world of online forums has made that possible, and who get easily bored with repetition, and who think it should be 1972 or 1981 forever.

I expect that those who attend the shows, most of whom will see only one show on the tour and then get on with their lives, will have a great time and consider it an occasion to remember. Because too much of a good thing is what spoils the enjoyment of a good thing.

I expect that the band will continue on playing the same show for the remainder of their touring days, because having attained the status of legends they can only get away with presenting that which has made them legendary, like a touring museum attraction.

To expect anything more is just not realistic at this stage of the band's career.

There are many shows with one track released after 1981. Nevertheless I prefer the 1981 setlists. There were much more interesting songs (not 85% hits and live classics), although they didn't change much after mid October 1981. But what do they change now in normal shows? Two songs - with the "rarities" being the same on every tour (except Mr D).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-28 12:17 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: February 28, 2018 12:27

erikjjf
Hairball

SFM would have been a great opener indeed, but I hope they'll open with a song they never started a show with before.

That said, SFTD was perfect as an opener. The anticipation the conga-sounds created and the bang when the guitar kicked in was tremendously effective!

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 1, 2018 19:23

Hairball
Olly
Hairball
Not a great way to start a show imo with drum loops and a screwed up solo (most of the time)- save that for the second half where it's less noticeable.

'Sympathy' was the ideal set opener, but I think it will be moved as the light nights of May, June and July will mean it won't be dark enough at the start of the show for the pyrotechnics and drama of the song to have their full impact.

I recall mixed reviews from those who attended the shows as well as those who watched it live online - some liked it as opener, some did not.
As mentioned above, it was eventually moved out of the opening slot for Paris #2 which made for a better show imo.

'Sympathy' was only moved at Paris #2 in the interests of variety. It was back in place as the opener for the third Paris show. So the opening numbers in Paris last October were 'Sympathy' (19th), 'JJF' (22nd) and 'Sympathy' (25th).

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 1, 2018 19:37

Olly
Hairball
Olly
Hairball

'Sympathy' was only moved at Paris #2 in the interests of variety. It was back in place as the opener for the third Paris show. So the opening numbers in Paris last October were 'Sympathy' (19th), 'JJF' (22nd) and 'Sympathy' (25th).

At the second show in Paris I got the impression that JJF is surely a better opener than Sympathy - altought Symapthy did work very well as an opener. On the other hand: They way Symapthy is performed now (drums first, then keyboards, than Mick singing the first verse and then the guitarist coming in…) does only work as an opener. In the middle of the show it doesn't work that well since the audience has already seen Keith and Ronnie. Symapthy as an opener without the guitar(ist)s at first creates some suspense…

btw: I guess they only did JJF as an opener at one of the Paris shows to be used for a future DVD release (plus the "Ladies and gentleman…"-Intro)

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 2, 2018 16:06

I hope they have a new film to open the show. I thought it was kind of lazy of them to open with the same Sympathy intro that they've been using during the middle of the set for the last 30 years.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 2, 2018 18:00

Same old set folks. Why would they change it.

Posted by: kevos ()
Date: March 2, 2018 18:22

Mick said on the Radio 2 interview they will probably do some different songs think he also mentioned a fan vote so we can wait and see. I would love to hear Emotional Rescue as I went to Hyde Park 1 and they didn't bloody do it ! it was the bit I was most looking forward to. Also would like to hear Get Off My Cloud, not sure if they still play that one anymore ?

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: March 2, 2018 18:50

I expect a different Keith now that it looks like he'll be completely sober.

Maybe a song with only Mick, Keith and Ronnie to give Charlie a break.

New opener, SFM or Start me up get's my betting money!

Mick having dinner with Paul Simon who also tours Europe at the same time and getting inspired by him playing "You can call me Al" twice in a set, and so we'll see miss you or you got me rocking twice in the set ;-)

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 2, 2018 19:08

Expectations ?? hopefully more of the same, perhaps a wee bit better start from a sober fitter Keith.
Coming Down Again from Keith, Mick to sing hard and true again like last time out.
Yeah give Charlie a little breather at some point in the show, the man is 77 this summer after all.
In fact if they could find a way to give Ronnie and Keith a little breather too i think we might get a great show. These guys are at an age where two hours non stop is too much and the last third of the show suffers imho.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 2, 2018 19:19

kevos

Also would like to hear Get Off My Cloud, not sure if they still play that one anymore ?

Only at Düsseldorf during No Filter Tour '17.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: March 2, 2018 19:54

I expect they will play some Rolling Stones songs... maybe they will play some cover songs in Rolling Stones style.

STONES!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 2, 2018 20:08

Hope and expectations are too very different things :

For the latter, its basically

1. Dont get sick and cancel
2. Be properly rehearsed by the time the tour starts
3. Dont phone it in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-02 20:08 by Gazza.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1266
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home