Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2018 The Stones, McCartney, Clapton etc...., Is this the last year?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2018 00:58

bye bye johnny
35love
I thought it was 1982 I was at The Who’s retirement party in MN.

'82 was the "Farewell" tour. The '89 "Reunion" celebrated the band's 25th anniversary.

I saw the farewell '82 show at the L.A. Coliseum with the Clash opening.
While the Who were great when I saw them in '79, in '82 it was a different story. The Clash's whirlwind performance was so powerful and energetic that when they were done there was a huge void left in the air...like a giant vaccum had sucked out all the energy of the stadium. By the time the Who came on, all they could do was sort of whimper through their closing set - they truly were like bloated dinosaurs on the verge of extinction.
All that said, glad the Who decided to come back - they were among the highlights at both Desert Trips along with Neil Young and Roger Waters, while the Stones, McCartney, and Dylan were so-so at best.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 29, 2018 01:20

jlowe
Its odd really. Nobody much concerned themselves with the respective ages of Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee, Fats Domino and others when they were still out on the road in their 70s and 80s. As long as there was an audience nobody cared if it was a Greatest Hits show. They cannot have been doing it for the money?
Many jazz musicians likewise (check the recently deceased Hugh Masekela, for example).
I certainly think Macca is in for the long haul....what else can a poor boy do?

A lot of old blues and rock n roll musicians (not necessarily those ones) kept playing into their old age because they weren't that well off.

Theres also the image factor - the Stones started out by being an act that appeared to teenagers and were classed as rebels. Thats not really the case anymore. Plus, as said above - when those people kept performing, no one really noticed. It wasnt a worldwide media event.

Most significantly, its a world of difference for a solo act than it is for a band. Four different individuals, leading four different lives and with four different future aspirations. We're at a stage now where if one of the four wheels fall off the wagon - whether its by death, infirmity or lack of desire - then the ride is over. Thats the most valid 'excuse' they'll ever need.

I think they still enjoy doing it as long as its not for prolonged periods. The desire for making money they'll never spend should they live to be 500 is something I'll personally never be able to comprehend so I'd imagine that motivation is at least partly ego-driven. I do think that once they see that one or more of them cant function to an adequate level anymore they'll know (Jagger will anyway, I doubt he'll want to go onstage with a band thats not able to deliver) that its time to hang it up. Personally, I'd be surprised if they toured beyond this year - but I've been wrong about that several times since about 1982!

I also think they still do this because to them its a bit like playing a song that they've partly rehearsed but havent quite figured out the ending. It could end magnificently or messily. Hopefully it'll be the former.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 01:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: January 29, 2018 01:47

Stones will do a final tour in 2022.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 29, 2018 14:12

IrisC
Stones will do a final tour in 2022.

The year may be correct. But at this point I would be surprised if the shows are outside London.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 29, 2018 15:51

bye bye johnny
35love

'82 was the "Farewell" tour. The '89 "Reunion" celebrated the band's 25th anniversary.

They were also celebrating the 20th anniversary of Tommy, large chunks of which were included in the setlist. They even played it in its entirety a couple of times. Not sure what they were celebrating when they came back again in 1996. That was the "It Took Us 23 Years, But We Finally Figured Out How To Do Quadrophenia" tour, if I remember correctly. grinning smiley

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: February 28, 2018 17:56

Got my ticket for London Stadium and got my ticket for Eric at Hyde Park.

The end of the road is in sight. Let's make the most of it!

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: February 28, 2018 18:49

tatters
bye bye johnny
35love

They were also celebrating the 20th anniversary of Tommy, large chunks of which were included in the setlist. They even played it in its entirety a couple of times. Not sure what they were celebrating when they came back again in 1996. That was the "It Took Us 23 Years, But We Finally Figured Out How To Do Quadrophenia" tour, if I remember correctly. grinning smiley

I actually thought those 96 Quadrophenia shows were great!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home