Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Meeting The Stones in the 60s.
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: January 8, 2018 05:27

I'd be interested to know if anyone on this board ever bumped into a Stone during the 60s and how were they?

Re: Meeting The Stones in the 60s.
Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 8, 2018 20:48

"StonesDoug" sure you know of his site, when I went to one of the Shidoobee get togethers before a show in Atl in 05', remember he told me he somehow got in back of a van with them when they played NJ area early 60's show. So you might can contact him about the encounter?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 8, 2018 22:39

geordiestone
I'd be interested to know if anyone on this board ever bumped into a Stone during the 60s and how were they?

Probably doesn't count...but anyway...

If you've ever driven from central London out to Heathrow airport you likely went over the Hammersmith Flyover, along the A4, branched right at the Cherry Blossom Roundabout, and then on to the extended M4 elevated section.

On the left as you enter the Cherry Blossom roundabout there's a petrol station on the left (at least there was in 1965/6!) In those days 'attendants' did the filling up and the drivers stayed in the car.

I worked there for some time and one evening a mini turned up with Mick/Keith/2 beautiful ladies and I served them petrol.

Rather modest actually...

(For completists... also met Sir Edmund Hillary (neat), and sold petrol in a can to Stirling Moss who had run out of petrol down the road - hilarious.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 9, 2018 01:34

I met a guy recently who told me a story (in his liverpudlian accent) about a college dance he was in charge of back in the 60s; they didn't have much funds, so they hired a local fairly unknown local band to play (featuring Pete Best on drums).

kind of off topic, but a cool story nonetheless.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 9, 2018 01:45

CaptainCorella
sold petrol in a can to Stirling Moss

Absolutely Fabulous

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 9, 2018 05:06

BamaStone
"StonesDoug" sure you know of his site, when I went to one of the Shidoobee get togethers before a show in Atl in 05', remember he told me he somehow got in back of a van with them when they played NJ area early 60's show. So you might can contact him about the encounter?

Not sure about the details as it's been years since he told me the same thing, but I think it was '65 or '66 when he approached a van with a bunch of other fans, stuck his head in the window, and was able to grab a button off of Brian's coat just as the van was about to speed off.

Date: January 9, 2018 05:33

Hairball
BamaStone

Not sure about the details as it's been years since he told me the same thing, but I think it was '65 or '66 when he approached a van with a bunch of other fans, stuck his head in the window, and was able to grab a button off of Brian's coat just as the van was about to speed off.

July 1st 1966.

I could pretend that's the sort of fact I know, but I'd be lying. The story is there for all to see in "Love You Live : The Rolling Stones : Fanfare from the common man" by Marilou Regan 2002. Page 64.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 9, 2018 18:25

CaptainCorella
Hairball
BamaStone

July 1st 1966.

I could pretend that's the sort of fact I know, but I'd be lying. The story is there for all to see in "Love You Live : The Rolling Stones : Fanfare from the common man" by Marilou Regan 2002. Page 64.

In my edition, page 64 is the first of a double page full of photo's (true: all from the sixties, at first glance...) -
Following that, from page 66 on, somebody from Buffalo, NY (named Yoko Nishimura ) is quoted; en previous to that, on page 60 to 62, Tom Beach from Rockville, MD is telling his story.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 9, 2018 18:34

CaptainCorella
geordiestone

Probably doesn't count...but anyway...

If you've ever driven from central London out to Heathrow airport you likely went over the Hammersmith Flyover, along the A4, branched right at the Cherry Blossom Roundabout, and then on to the extended M4 elevated section.

On the left as you enter the Cherry Blossom roundabout there's a petrol station on the left (at least there was in 1965/6!) In those days 'attendants' did the filling up and the drivers stayed in the car.

I worked there for some time and one evening a mini turned up with Mick/Keith/2 beautiful ladies and I served them petrol.

Rather modest actually...

(For completists... also met Sir Edmund Hillary (neat), and sold petrol in a can to Stirling Moss who had run out of petrol down the road - hilarious.)

This is very lovely to read and a nice picture to imagine, Keith and Mick in a Mini with two girls and you at the side of the car....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 9, 2018 19:59

I have a friend who was in a fraternity at Georgia Southern in 1965. He drove the Stones to their gig in Statesboro (this was a couple of nights before Keith dreamed "Satisfaction").

Date: January 9, 2018 22:18

RoughJusticeOnYa
CaptainCorella
Hairball
BamaStone

July 1st 1966.

In my edition, page 64 is the first of a double page full of photo's (true: all from the sixties, at first glance...) -
Following that, from page 66 on, somebody from Buffalo, NY (named Yoko Nishimura ) is quoted; en previous to that, on page 60 to 62, Tom Beach from Rockville, MD is telling his story.

Sorry, my bad. P54

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 10, 2018 00:58

Elmo Lewis
I have a friend who was in a fraternity at Georgia Southern in 1965. He drove the Stones to their gig in Statesboro (this was a couple of nights before Keith dreamed "Satisfaction").

He'd already dreamt (heard Nowhere To Run horns) in England before this tour. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home