Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rocks Off individual tracks
Date: January 11, 2018 12:45

LieB
DandelionPowderman
LieB
That Taylor track is interesting - so much there that you can't really hear in the master mix. But for example at 0:28 in the clip, there's definitely a familiar part that cuts through in the master.

I agree it has a calypso feel to it with a lot of major notes. As I wrote in the other thread (thinking it was this thread), I kinda wish Mick T's contribution to this track was bigger or more audible, but then again it's really well balanced as it is. I can imagine he was disappointed at times at how the mixes were done (at least on Exile - on Sticky, GHS and IORR his contributions were more obvious).

Yeah, it's puzzling. But keep in mind that these tracks aren't complete. The things we actually hear on the master (after the intro + a few other places + the outro) is not included here, maybe with the exception of what's going on round 0:28.

And the sound of this track is very different to that of the outro solo guitar, for instance.

Makes me wonder if this was an earlier take from Taylor...

I agree, the outro solo thing appears to have a different sound, but I think this is the track that ended up on the master - where only the loudest part are audible, or they cut out (or turned down) parts in between that we hear here (although that may have been too much work with the technology of '72).

I'm gonna listen to the Nicky Hopkins outtake and compare when I get the time. (I believe that one had the master take of Mick T but more audible than the released version.)

I had that track in mind, and was taken by surprise with the Exhibitionism-track. Will check it out again myself.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 11, 2018 14:45

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

I reckon he means the out of phase-sound Taylor had on this song. Sort of Leslie-sounding (aka Hammond).

It's the Gibson ES-355 with the Varitone switch in 3rd or 4th position, giving this quacky out of phase sound.

Mathijs

I agree it sounds like that hollow out of phase position (similar to the slide lead on Stop Breaking Down), but I think it also has a swirly quality to it, as if there's a moving flangerish effect to it, but I'm not totally sure.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 18, 2018 00:10

I checked this outtake:
[www.youtube.com]

And the Taylor guitar is definitely the same there, and I reckon it's the same Taylor guitar on all available versions. Not sure if the little solo at the end is the same guitar as the rest of the song, but my guess is that he just cranked it up a bit there. Could be another take mixed in, though.

Date: January 18, 2018 01:20

LieB
I checked this outtake:
[www.youtube.com]

And the Taylor guitar is definitely the same there, and I reckon it's the same Taylor guitar on all available versions. Not sure if the little solo at the end is the same guitar as the rest of the song, but my guess is that he just cranked it up a bit there. Could be another take mixed in, though.

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2133
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home