Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
question for older stones fans.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 20:47

just looking at set lists throughout the years and ive come to the conclusion a couple of points.

concerts from the mid 70,s onwards to the current day with the exception of the 81 and 82 tour seem to have a mid point of the concert as 1971 or 1972 if listing songs chronologically.

but the 81 and 82 tour were more relevant to current material, and for concerts of this era, more than half the songs would come from the post 1976 period.

another point is, since the brian jones period, the mid 60,s has often been neglected in concert taking into consideration the popularity of the band at this time.

so what i was curious about, is there any fans who went to stones concerts from the mid 70,s to early 80,s who went along expecting to hear classic well know stuff like

its all over now
the last time
satisfaction
not fade away
19th nervous breakdown
paint it black
lady jane
lets spend the night together
ruby tuesday

and instead got these instead

when the whip comes down
respectable
hand of fate
fingerprint file
she so cold
neighbours
black limo
fool to cry

and if so, were you dissapointed, surprised or totally aware of the newer stuff despite it not been as well known to the general public.

Re: question for older stones fans.
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 30, 2017 22:40

Interesting question. In terms of "older" I'm 51. My first show was Philly #2 in 1981.

Of course, this was pre-internet, so all I knew when I hopped in the car to ride from Baltimore to Philly was Kim Carnes had played Under My Thumb on SNL (which certainly suggested they would play it) and whatever was written in the papers after the first show.

From your list in terms of oldies of course we got:
Let's Spend the Night Together
and Street Fighting Man but no Satisfaction which was a bummer.

BUT, we also got:
Mona (I Need You Baby)
Down the Road Apiece
Time is on My Side
Let it Bleed
All Down the Line

It was a thrill to have NO IDEA what was in the setlist or what order the things you knew (or thought you knew) were played.

So, no, I felt there was a healthy enough dose of oldies and the spectacular new Tattoo You that I left completely happy.

T@3

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 30, 2017 22:55

the answer is no. Back then, nobody expected more than a gem or two from the Brian Jones era (pre-Beggars). They were much more of a contemporary band then, not an oldies band, they played their newer stuff from their last few albums, which back then meant only a few years.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 23:04

a couple of the reasons i ask, is when i got into the stones in 1987 and listening to love you live, i understood the stones to be more of a 60,s band and thought they had tailed off in the 70,s anyway and was expecting more mid 60,s stuff, i had no idea of songs like hot stuff, fingerprint file and star star.

also when i was at the 2007 gig at the 02, there was this older gentleman there with his wife and when the band performed the newer songs he seemed to turn to his wife with a vague look as if he didnt recognize some of them, songs like, rough justice, start me up. and was wondering if he was expecting the earlier and better known songs.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 23:20

The set-List in 1978 could not be different, historically speaking.
'Some Girls' was punk and huge and you could not arrange punk versions of 'Lady Jane' or 'Angie'... Punk was the tale of the town, in 1978. I'm almost dure that the European leg of the tour would have presented a different set-list, in a three months time.
Expectations? When the arrived in Europe the 1981 had already been covered by bootlegers and I knew what I was going to get... still 'Chantilly Lace' in Munich was a very low point...

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: December 30, 2017 23:33

My first concert was 1965 so I think I must qualify as an 'older stones fan'.
The thing about the songs in your first list, they are ingrained in my very heart and sole, as opposed to the songs in your second list, I have to look them up, and, oh yeah, I do know that one.......so I know how the couple next to you felt at the O2 gig.
But my second concert wasn't till 1990, so didn't really experience your second list pushing out the first list era. Since then I've been to five more concerts, probably all 2007 maybe onwards, and have heard five or six from your first list, and none I can remember from your second list.
I certainly don't see myself as stuck in the 60's with Stones (or any other) music, but like I said, the first list has songs that are part of my very being. Other Stones stuff has made it that far with me, but they ain't on that second list of yours!. Some songs I only learned to love through the concerts, eg Gimme Shelter and I got the Silver
I got some interest comments on the thread I started a while back, 'They didn't play Satisfaction ' lots of people telling me all the concerts where it wasn't played. But no-one said, it wasn't played as it wasn't written yet, like at that 1965 concert I was at.
Interesting questions you raise though, buttons 67

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 31, 2017 00:20

Older Stones fans don’t use capitals and type their apostrophes upside down smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 31, 2017 00:55

Saw them twice in 1981 at the L.A. Coliseum which were my first Stones shows when I was 18, and had no expectations whatsoever.
I was completely ecstatic after both shows...they were monumental and mind boggling events that I had never experienced before.

Setlist for Oct. 9th. (*Satisfaction was played as an encore for the Oct 11th show) - a nice blend of all eras up to that point in time.

Uder My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Let's Spend the Night Together
Shattered
Neighbours
Black Limousine
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
Twenty Flight Rock
Let Me Go
Time Is on My Side
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Little T&A
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
All Down the Line
Hang Fire
Star Star
Miss You
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: December 31, 2017 00:56

Koen
Older Stones fans don’t use capitals and type their apostrophes upside down smoking smiley
They're not unkind either

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 31, 2017 03:12

first show for me was in 1978. it was pretty much as expected. really, the blueprint for the sets was set in 1969. with variations of course & inclusion of newer material with the occasional "rarity". & newer hits get elevated to warhorse. start me up, miss you, only r n r, etc. for tours i've seen, i think "licks" in 2002/2003 was the best for setlist variety. since then things have been fairly stagnant. there are exceptions, of course.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 31, 2017 03:21

Saw Mick's Birthday jam with Stevie Wonder. Was not expecting a pie fight. Amazing, amazing show, as was the other one I saw that week.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 31, 2017 15:53

I remember Bill giving an interview in 1981 in which he was asked, "Any chance you guys might do something like "Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown"? And he answered, in all seriousness, "How about the B-side of "Nineteenth Nervous Breakdown"? He seemed to be implying that the setlist would be chock full of Brian era material, but of course, it never happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-31 15:59 by tatters.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 31, 2017 16:45

bleedingman
Saw Mick's Birthday jam with Stevie Wonder. Was not expecting a pie fight. Amazing, amazing show, as was the other one I saw that week.

Damn, MSG'72! Can yuo confirm the P.A. was turned to "11" on that tour?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 31, 2017 19:12

By the time I saw my first show in 1978, I had already seen Gimme Shelter and Ladies and Gentlemen, heard Ya-Ya's and Love You Live, and was familiar with bootlegs from the '69, '72 and '75 tours, so I pretty much knew what to expect; that it would be largely material from the '68 to '72 era, and little or nothing that was pre-'68. Basically, I was expecting Love You Live with the addition of a few new songs from Some Girls. What surprised me was that they played so much of Some Girls and so little of anything else. They only did two songs from Exile, one each from Sticky and LIB, and nothing from Beggars. "Satisfaction," rarely played in the 70s, was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. I saw them near the beginning of the tour, only a few days after buying the Some Girls album. Most of the crowd seemed unfamiliar with the new songs, cheering only when they began playing "Miss You," which had been released as a single a few weeks before the album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-31 19:18 by tatters.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 31, 2017 21:20

buttons67

also when i was at the 2007 gig at the 02, there was this older gentleman there with his wife and when the band performed the newer songs he seemed to turn to his wife with a vague look as if he didnt recognize some of them, songs like, rough justice, start me up. and was wondering if he was expecting the earlier and better known songs.

OK, I'll take the bait... I find it hard to believe that someone who followed Stones from their early days wouldn't recognize Start Me Up, unless they were somehow exiled and/or cut off from all media from 1980 until 2007.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-31 23:04 by ryanpow.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 31, 2017 23:39

I'm 60, so I'm certainly an older Stones fan. Been watching and listening to the Stones since I was a young kid (1964 )--

Never been disappointed going to a Stones show. NO matter what the set list. Always a treat. Always a great time. Always a thrill. Of course some shows better than others, but never been let down.

They're the STONES, right ?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 1, 2018 00:09

I don't know what category I'd put myself in, But I will say that I'm not exactly a spring chicken. The first Stones saw I show was in 2002 in Oakland. Set list wise I couldn't have asked for anything more:

Street Fighting Man
IORR
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Aint Too Proud To Beg
Heart Of Stone
Sweet Virginia
Loving Cup
All Down The Line
Tumbling Dice
Thru and Thru
You Don't Have To Mean it
Start Me UP
YGMR
Honky Tonk Women
Satsifaction
Mannish Boy
When the Whip Comes Down
Brown Sugar
Sympahthy
JJF

It was kind of like a throw back to the 70's with this set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-01 00:11 by ryanpow.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: January 1, 2018 02:00

up until and including the 1989 tour I never knew what to expect....since then I have known exactly what to expect....

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: January 1, 2018 02:13

The Stones would tour in support of a new album back then.

They were relevant so fans and non-fans had heard the songs on FM rock radio (which bearely exists).

Now they are becoming "Beach Boy" like, greatest hits live, which is why I hope they produce a great original album soon.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 1, 2018 02:19

dcba
bleedingman

Damn, MSG'72! Can yuo confirm the P.A. was turned to "11" on that tour?

was there. 1969 too

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 1, 2018 04:03

EH?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2018 04:36

This definitely a Q for the old guys around here like Hairball or Hopkins ...
How come all the OLD dudes names start with H ????????????????????????????????????? ....HHHaaaaaaHaawww

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-01 04:42 by Rockman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 1, 2018 06:14

C'mon Rockman - you're probably 20 years older than me...maybe even as old as Charlie! smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2018 06:17

.... dunno Australian birth/death records only go back ta 1855 ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 1, 2018 18:39

My 1st Stones' gig was supposed to have been Hampton 2 1981, but some surgery got in the way. Thus, Atlanta 1989 was my first. The MAJOR difference between 1989 and after and pre-1989 gigs was the (relative) sobriety of the band and the presence of backing musicians.

1989 and after has been the Rolling Stones' show, whereas 1982 and before was the Rolling Stones. With the exception of some tour-legs since 1989 (2007 Europe comes to mind), the quality of performance was always much more consistent in the 1989 and after shows. This is not to say that the Stones were not consistent in earlier tours. Anything from 1969 through 1973 (save the Marquee show and maybe Auckland) was at such a high level until it still astounds me how they could deliver when they were so wasted.

To get more directly to your (really interesting) inquiry - I think that certainly since 1989, the Stones recognized that it was the warhorses and (probably) not the new releases which would fill the rooms. Back in 1981, 78, 76, 75, and on back, the Stones were at the top of the charts and thus their current records were culturally relevant. Starting in 69, each major tour had a massive hit single:

69 - 70 Honky Tonk Women
71 - Brown Sugar
72 - Tumblin Dice
73 - Angie & Doo Doo Doo Doo
75 - It's Only Rock and Roll
76 - Fool to Cry & Hot Stuff
78 - Miss You and Beast of Burden
81 - 82 - Start Me Up & Waiting on a Friend

Granted, Mixed Emotions was a hit in 1989, but by then, the band knew that it was going to be Sympathy for the Devil (first time since 1976) and Paint It, Black (first since 1967) or Rambler (last 1976), Gimme Shelter (last 75), or Ruby (last 67) that would leave the lasting impressions.

With the advent of the internet, now we know set lists after the first show of a tour and our surprises are fewer and farther between. I think, however, that the modern-day setlist expectations of us in IORR (only a small slice of the populace that sees the Stones' shows) are hardly typical. I suspect that most want to see the songs that defined a generation.

Thus, to conclude - thanks for a great topic!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: January 2, 2018 20:01

Steel Wheels Tour in '89 felt like a warhorse tour, for sure....A little weird that Voodoo Lounge in '94 didn't...I think because the album behind the tour was much better...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 2, 2018 20:37

buttons67
just looking at set lists throughout the years and ive come to the conclusion a couple of points.

concerts from the mid 70,s onwards to the current day with the exception of the 81 and 82 tour seem to have a mid point of the concert as 1971 or 1972 if listing songs chronologically.

but the 81 and 82 tour were more relevant to current material, and for concerts of this era, more than half the songs would come from the post 1976 period.

another point is, since the brian jones period, the mid 60,s has often been neglected in concert taking into consideration the popularity of the band at this time.

so what i was curious about, is there any fans who went to stones concerts from the mid 70,s to early 80,s who went along expecting to hear classic well know stuff like

its all over now
the last time
satisfaction
not fade away
19th nervous breakdown
paint it black
lady jane
lets spend the night together
ruby tuesday

and instead got these instead

when the whip comes down
respectable
hand of fate
fingerprint file
she so cold
neighbours
black limo
fool to cry

and if so, were you dissapointed, surprised or totally aware of the newer stuff despite it not been as well known to the general public.

Not disappointed at all. Saw them in 1978 and was thrilled to hear their new stuff live, and songs like Love In Vain were a real treat! Kind of the same in 1981, but they did mix in a fair amount of classics with the newer stuff.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 2, 2018 20:38

Old dudes, eh. Okay, I soon hope to join the "70 and counting" gang (aren't the Stones in that gang too? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out). In the 60s money was still a serious issue (at least for me), so it was either an album or a concert. Not both. Also, the hectic early concerts (with chances of major trouble) made the choice easier: albums.
I did plan to go to Hyde Park 69, but Brian's death "told me", that is wasn't going to be enjoyable, so Amsterdam 1970 gave me my first Rolling Stones concert. No expectations concerning songs, just pure excitement. But how about ... Brown Sugar and Dead Flowers (never heard of them then!) and Roll Over Beethoven (not on any record then)?
1971 ... Bristol, UK. It's burned into my brain, superb! Obviously with Brian Jones era songs like JJF, SFM, clearly promoting Sticky Fingers (not for sale until well over a month later! So surprise after surprise).
1973 Hamburg ( had no choice then ... the train ticket from Utrecht was "worth" 7 or 8 concert tickets! Yip, I had money then grinning smiley. Many Exile and Goat's Head Soup songs.
After that concerts gradually became massive and just to be present was a thrill. Really, setlists were of no importance to me. Just to be there was great. And so it is still today. Whatever they play, is fine with me. Each concert has it's own unique story (got Mick's T-shirt from Arnhem, for example). I just feel blessed to be a Stones fan, still after almost 54 years. Yip, I'm an old dude smileys with beer

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: January 3, 2018 01:13

I first say the Stones in 75,I was 17,seen almost every tour in the state's,over the pond a few time's,do not care what the set list is as long as the Boy's are on stage.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 3, 2018 10:10

bob r
I'm 60, so I'm certainly an older Stones fan. Been watching and listening to the Stones since I was a young kid (1964 )--

Never been disappointed going to a Stones show. NO matter what the set list. Always a treat. Always a great time. Always a thrill. Of course some shows better than others, but never been let down.

They're the STONES, right ?

thumbs up

Pretty much my thoughts too.

I'm pushing 60 . My first show was in '73. I'd been hooked a couple of years prior to that .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home