Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mr. Richards' Facebook post
Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: December 29, 2017 20:09

"America wouldn't be here if it wasn't for people going to the streets." -- Keith Richards

https://www.facebook.com/attn/videos/1606841449351308/?hc_ref=ARQ8LTbdJEltb5CCB3ylVA_4AgJnmlpLXxWzgvMjH0RpAJH4LFJ0cSIsOTyNkA_rXqk

Re: Mr. Richards' Facebook post
Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 29, 2017 20:25

Here we go... more politics

Date: December 29, 2017 20:29

If Keith's post is not acceptable, I apologize. BV can just delete.

For what it's worth, I found it touching and inspiring,

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 29, 2017 20:40

I thought it was interesting that the video is hosted/provided by Apple music/iTunes. Seemingly released on the same day as an article appeared that stated that, because of his last year's compensation, Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple Corp, is now REQUIRED by his contract to not fly on commercial flights due to his being too "valuable" to the corporation. I found it an interesting yin/yang that on one hand you have a division of the company seemingly advocating "taking to the streets" while on the other hand, that same company's CEO is no longer ALLOWED to fly with commoners due to his value to the company.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 29, 2017 20:45

Librarian
If Keith's post is not acceptable, I apologize. BV can just delete.

For what it's worth, I found it touching and inspiring,

wasnt suggesting that. But was suggesting what it might lead to

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 29, 2017 21:17

mr_dja
I thought it was interesting that the video is hosted/provided by Apple music/iTunes. Seemingly released on the same day as an article appeared that stated that, because of his last year's compensation, Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple Corp, is now REQUIRED by his contract to not fly on commercial flights due to his being too "valuable" to the corporation. I found it an interesting yin/yang that on one hand you have a division of the company seemingly advocating "taking to the streets" while on the other hand, that same company's CEO is no longer ALLOWED to fly with commoners due to his value to the company.

Peace,
Mr DJA
What about the batteries on the older I Phones ? and how they were slowing down the older I Phones and they will sell you a new battery which before the news broke Apple was charging $79.95 and now post news the battery will sell for $29.95 .Way to go Apple (bite the big apple , don't mind the maggots )

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 29, 2017 21:57

One of these days I may have to start thinking about maybe looking into the facebook thing... and after that maybe I will begin considering obtaining a cell phone. Maybe I will do that after I figure out how society ever got by (existed at all) up until 1995 without ever having either one, but now it seems both are required?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-29 21:59 by Leonioid.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 29, 2017 22:02

TheGreek
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA
What about the batteries on the older I Phones ? and how they were slowing down the older I Phones and they will sell you a new battery which before the news broke Apple was charging $79.95 and now post news the battery will sell for $29.95 .Way to go Apple (bite the big apple , don't mind the maggots )

I agree that battery/operating system issue could/should effect them going into next year's revenues. I don't know that it will as it doesn't seem to be getting much traction in the general media. However, for all I know, Apple loyalists may be turning in their iPhones for Droids. I'm not part of the Apple community though so I wouldn't know. I'm only using an iPhone due to the fact that when my Droid died last summer, my daughter had just recently upgraded he iPhone and I got the old one. I like it but I'm not "on the bandwagon". Have you heard on any significant fallout to Apple as a result of the battery stories? Has it affected the stock price?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 29, 2017 22:03

Leonioid
One of these days I may have to start thinking about maybe looking into the facebook thing... and after that maybe I will begin considering obtaining a cell phone. Maybe I will do that after I figure out how society ever got by (existed at all) up until 1995 without ever having either one, but now it seems both are required?

how did we ever survive without corporate sponsorship on every facet of society? strange & evil times we live in...there are thieves in the temple.

Date: December 29, 2017 22:08

crholmstrom
Leonioid

how did we ever survive without corporate sponsorship on every facet of society? strange & evil times we live in...there are thieves in the temple.

Indeed, there are strange things afoot...
I saw this the otehr day... and it made me wonder

Date: December 29, 2017 22:22

Thought-provoking graphic. Change in the economy and industry, conduits rather than content.

Date: December 29, 2017 23:58

Librarian
Thought-provoking graphic. Change in the economy and industry, conduits rather than content.
Indeed thought provoking, industry changing... but I am still not sure if it will be good for the common man in the long run.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 00:13

Great quote.

Had no idea Sheryl was in the crowd during the Hail Hail Rock'n'Roll show. What a special memory that must be for her.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 30, 2017 00:18

Huh. Not sure what to think about that clip, sponsorship by Apple?
What are they sponsoring, Sheryl Crow wanting to start a revolution?
She needs to be more clear.
People people what are we fighting for?
WHAT is she asking, we go to the streets for... what? Impeachment of a USA President?
I’ll take Mick singing SFM, and I’ll listen carefully to Keith Richards
but Sheryl name dropping and telling me to take to the streets, honey, I’m trying to keep my family off the street.

And, I’d fly private just to not have to breathe regurgitated air from groups of people in tight quarters over a prolonged period of time.

Correction: Sheryl Crow. My error spelling. And I am not feeling generous.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 01:38 by 35love.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 30, 2017 02:55

Sheryl is referring to protests like the womens march et al.
Protests- both in the streets and via social media etc., have been very effective this past year in stopping horrendous policies,travel bans, etc from becoming law and also raising awareness. Good on Keith, Cheryl and Apple.

Date: December 30, 2017 03:30

MisterDDDD
Protests- both in the streets and via social media etc., have been very effective this past year in stopping horrendous policies,travel bans, etc from becoming law and also raising awareness. Good on Keith, Cheryl and Apple.

Yeah, okay. I’m in a bad mood. And don’t like being told to ‘take it to the street’ from Sheryl Crow. Sorry.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 30, 2017 03:56

"...but what can a poor boy except sing for a rock 'n' roll band" is the part this little infomercial seems to be missing. SFM is as much a call to taking it to the streets as "Revolution" by The Beatles. If they want a true call to action, try the MC5 or Patti Smith. Of course, they're not exactly mainstream, are they? Anyway, if Apple wanted true impact, they should have paid the higher licensing fee to ABKCO to use the original which is the only version that really packs the punch they're looking for. As for Keith, nice intentions surely, but when have the Stones ever taken it to the streets? They certainly won't as seventy-something elites.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 30, 2017 04:09

MisterDDDD

Keep dreaming. They have gotten everything they want that means anything - the tax bill, all the judges, the environmental regulations being scrapped.But we had a great womens' march, didn't we? What a joke the left has become in this country. And Apple is the new Standard Oil/Chase Manhattan. Part of what's wrong. Emblematic of the current flowering of monopoly capitalism, as usual at the throat of the worker, helping to funnel more and more of the wealth of the world to the top 1%. But yeah, tweets from Keith ('s people) and Sheryl Crow are what we need more of.

Date: December 30, 2017 04:45

delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 04:45 by Librarian.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 04:54

Rokyfan
MisterDDDD

Keep dreaming. They have gotten everything they want that means anything - the tax bill, all the judges, the environmental regulations being scrapped.But we had a great womens' march, didn't we? What a joke the left has become in this country. And Apple is the new Standard Oil/Chase Manhattan. Part of what's wrong. Emblematic of the current flowering of monopoly capitalism, as usual at the throat of the worker, helping to funnel more and more of the wealth of the world to the top 1%. But yeah, tweets from Keith ('s people) and Sheryl Crow are what we need more of.
Whenever Democrats get in power, they attempt to be conciliatory with the GOP and tinker at the margins of policy no matter how decisive their victory.

Whenever Republicans get in power, they attempt to slit the throats of the Democrats and ram through a massively reactionary agenda no matter how slim their margin of victory.

It's a completely different mindset. The goalposts have been consistently moved to the right for the last 40 years. Clinton and Obama only tapped the brakes on the rightward drift, but never threw the car into reverse.

As far as I'm concerned, the Democratic Party and what passes for liberal activism these days are about as effective as the opposition to H|tler in the 1930s was.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: December 30, 2017 08:09

keefriff99
Rokyfan
MisterDDDD

Whenever Democrats get in power, they attempt to be conciliatory with the GOP and tinker at the margins of policy no matter how decisive their victory.

Whenever Republicans get in power, they attempt to slit the throats of the Democrats and ram through a massively reactionary agenda no matter how slim their margin of victory.

It's a completely different mindset. The goalposts have been consistently moved to the right for the last 40 years. Clinton and Obama only tapped the brakes on the rightward drift, but never threw the car into reverse.

As far as I'm concerned, the Democratic Party and what passes for liberal activism these days are about as effective as the opposition to H|tler in the 1930s was.

Hear, hear...

Date: December 30, 2017 08:16

Again, thanks Keith !
Great to know he's part of the resistance!!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 30, 2017 10:16

I much prefer their earlier version of the song PAY YOUR DUES—chorus harmonies included—to the final nescient result.

Date: December 30, 2017 14:22

A.K.A. : Did Everybody Pay Their Dues?, Everybody Pays Their Dues, and Everybody Pays Your Dues.

The music to the song we know as Street Fighting Man recorded with an entirely different set of lyrics. This version of the song is about an American Indian (Native American) Chief! The recording technique for the incredible musical track (which is a different mix here) is described in an interview with Keith Richards that was published in Rolling Stone Magazine on August 19, 1971. There is a strange dichotomy in the sound where you have compressed acoustic guitar and the presence of reverb. Really amazing, and all done mechanically (in the analog), by multiple playback and recording though a mono cassette recorder (Parachute Woman was also recorded this way). Charlie's delayed drum beat against Keith's rhythm playing produces an added edge and swinging back beat to the song. The track is an Olympic Studios outtake from "Beggars Banquet" recorded March - April, 1968. "Artifacts" or musical markers are all present in the same places in all recordings, so only one version circulates on this one.

1st Verse

Chief to scorn his friends make love to his re-la-tions

He beats his wife and made her life a to-tal wet va-ca-tion

Chorus 1:

Now did everybody pay their dues?

Now did end up with tribal blues?

All the braves and squaws and the maids and the whores

Did, everybody pay their dues?

2nd Verse

Heee's a tribal chief his name is called dis-order

His flesh and blood he tears it up when acting right is nor-mal

Chorus 2:

Now did any of them try to refuse?

Brief Instrumental Bridge: Faint Jagger chants can be heard here.

3rd Verse

See all the children roses pi-lling

What's all with us to be grown up is to be good at ly-ing

Chorus 3:

Now did any of them try to refuse?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 30, 2017 14:50

Everybody has in their mind a variation of the "swamp" they want drained. So many swamps and so little time.....BTW great play on SFM with the lyrics popping up, felt like a punk song from the late 70's.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 30, 2017 16:21

Well spoken, Keith!

Date: December 30, 2017 16:51

curt
keefriff99
Rokyfan
MisterDDDD

Hear, hear...

Really?
How's that Wall coming along?
Or O'care repeal?
Or the Muslim ban?
Or..

One legislative victory (tax reform) with a GOP controlled Congress and Senate.
So. Much. Winning.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1993
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home