Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'Got LIVE If You Want it!' To Buy Or Not To Buy...
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: September 19, 2005 02:14

I have been a Rolling Stones fan since 1968, and own every LP, single, video, DVD,solo album, etc., that there has ever been...except for this album. I heard it once at a friend's house back in the Seventies and really hated the "Beatle-esqe" screaming through-out, and I've never liked the sound of those added live tracks on a couple of the early albums ("I'm Alright," "Movin' On" "Route 66"); even on the remasters they sound like bootleg recordings.
What do you all think about it? Should I finally purchase the ABKCO remastered version? I know that at least one of the songs actually isn't even live.
I will abide by your knowledgeable recommendations.

Re: 'Got LIVE If You Want it!' To Buy Or Not To Buy...
Posted by: deuce ()
Date: September 19, 2005 02:18

Why not?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 19, 2005 02:24

I have it for a couple of years now but come to think of it, i have never played it...
I remember that when i was in highschool i always when to the record store when i had no class and listen to Got LIVE if you want it and i loved Under My Thumb! When i finally bought it i never played at home...
Tomorow will be my premier because of this thread.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: heyheymymyitb ()
Date: September 19, 2005 02:25

If I were you, I'd get it just for completeion purposes. I personally don't listen to it much at all, since I don't like the way they rush through each track to fit it into their setlist (a common mid-60's occurance for any band). But if you have everything else, like you say, I would think it'd be worth the money just to have everything. You're so close.

Date: September 19, 2005 02:33

I too first discovered the Stones in 1968 - Got Live was the first LP I bought - and it remains one of my favorites. It is the undistilled raw Stones. The LP mono version is more muddled yet better sounding than the CD version though. Maybe it's just that the 'noise' and cacaphony blends more easily. Anyways you won't go wrong in getting it.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 19, 2005 02:49

I think its GREAT!!!.....fantastic songs....super-energetic performance....its raw punk before punk....crank it up and enjoy!!!....best wishes

Date: September 19, 2005 02:53

One of my unfulfilled Stones wishes would be to hear them play 'The Last Time' or '19th Nervous Breakdown' at the same hyper kinetic pace of Got Live. Fast, furious and wild.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 19, 2005 02:55

Jack Knife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been a Rolling Stones fan since 1968, and
> own every LP, single, video, DVD,solo album, etc.,
> that there has ever been...except for this album.
> I heard it once at a friend's house back in the
> Seventies and really hated the "Beatle-esqe"
> screaming through-out, and I've never liked the
> sound of those added live tracks on a couple of
> the early albums ("I'm Alright," "Movin' On"
> "Route 66"); even on the remasters they sound like
> bootleg recordings.
> What do you all think about it? Should I finally
> purchase the ABKCO remastered version? I know
> that at least one of the songs actually isn't even
> live.
> I will abide by your knowledgeable
> recommendations.

the songs youre referring to are from the 1965 "got live if you want it" EP and not the live 1966 LP of the same name

The EP in my opinion is far better

The album would be way down the list of my 'essential' recordings to be honest, although I havent heard the remastered version. I cant imagine its much of an improvement, sound wise!

I wouldnt rush to buy it, but if you can get it cheap, why not? Its really for completists, though

Date: September 19, 2005 03:00

RAW, REAL, CHAOTIC, EXITING...Love the Sound....Lo-Fi (lack of tecnology helps this one)...listen to micks vocals....total adrenalin!!!!....anyone who tells you this aint exiting rocknroll needs their pulse checked...best wishes

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: September 19, 2005 03:08

Since 1968!!! - I think you're having us on...

Perhaps healthily you're not one of the must-have-everything club, but of course The 'Got Live' LP is an essential part of the Stones discography. It's often debated how much of the LP is in fact live. Apparently there was much tampering before it finaly made it to the finished article.
The last two tracks on side 1 ('I've Been Loving You Too Long' and 'Fortune Teller') are the two studio tracks with over-dubbed screams.

The LP tries with some sucess to capture the excitment of a Stones performance - It's just shear energy - forget about getting the notes right this is in-yer-face rock!
On first hearing, thinking they were live, I thought 'I've Been Loving You Too Long' and 'Fortune Teller' sounded great. Sacrilige I know but to me the undubbed 'I've Been Loving You Too Long' sounds flat in comparison.

Posted by: intv7 ()
Date: September 19, 2005 05:12

If you're a completist like me, you need it. But, on the other hand, to me it ranks below "No Security" and "Live Licks" in the list of non-essential Stones albums.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 19, 2005 06:23

Avoid it like the plague. Quite a bit of it is studio recordings with a bunch of screaming dubbed in. And the tracks that are actually live are inferior performances. Unfortunately, no really good live recordings -- official or otherwise -- exist of the Stones until the '69 U.S. tour.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: September 19, 2005 06:49

"Since 1968!!!-I think you're having us on..."

What does that MEAN, Rumple 21? It's true...I don't know if you mean you can't believe I was around then or what...I was a kid and heard "Honky Tonk Women" on the radio and have been hooked ever since. I was too young to be a Sixties Stones fan, but I made up for it in the Seventies and beyond!

Thanks to all of you have taken, or will take, the time to give your opinion of 'Got LIVE If You Want It.' I can see there's not a general consensus one way or the other! Some like it, some don't, some ambivalent!

Thanks, again, however...

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: September 19, 2005 06:52

no

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 19, 2005 07:29

Of course you must get it.

Re: 'Got LIVE If You Want It!'
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 19, 2005 09:11

smile: i love this album! right, two of the tracks are not really concert takes, but the genuine in-concert stuff - ahh, just listen to those cats GO! turn it up way loud and dig the all-out beyond-frenetic whoa-nelly energy of it. and just think: this is what the Rolling Stones did back then, this is how they *got* to everyone so - this is the conditions they worked in, this is the energy they poured into it, this is how they changed all the parameters forever. plain insane!
hail hail Rolling Stones!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: September 19, 2005 09:17

Hey chill Jack Knife - I was just surprised you hadn't picked up a copy in the last 37 years - I myself picked up on the band the same time as you - old buggers that we are!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 19, 2005 13:16

RockR Wrote:
> Avoid it like the plague. Quite a bit of it is
> studio recordings with a bunch of screaming dubbed
> in. And the tracks that are actually live are
> inferior performances. Unfortunately, no really
> good live recordings -- official or otherwise --
> exist of the Stones until the '69 U.S. tour.

Not true! Rock and Roll Circus (1968) is better than good. As for Got Live, I had it a long time ago on vinyl and I thought it was the worst sounding official live release of all time. The techinque of recording a live rock band had simply not yet been perfected in 1966. Montery Pop, June '67, was probably the first time anyone came close to getting it right. As I remember, Got Live had a HORRIBLE stereo separation, with Mick's voice, and only Mick's voice on one channel, and EVERYTHING else on the other. I've never heard it on CD so I don't know if this problem has been corrected. I'm curious to hear how the 2002 remaster sounds, but not THAT curious. With what they had to work with, there's only so much you can do.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 19, 2005 14:23

heyheymymyitb Wrote:
> If I were you, I'd get it just for completeion
> purposes. I personally don't listen to it much at
> all, since I don't like the way they rush through
> each track to fit it into their setlist (a common
> mid-60's occurance for any band). But if you have
> everything else, like you say, I would think it'd
> be worth the money just to have everything. You're
> so close.

Right on the money dude. GLIYWI is AWFUL!!!! The GLIYWI EP is ten thousand times better.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 19, 2005 18:29

RockR Wrote:
> Avoid it like the plague. Quite a bit of it is
> studio recordings with a bunch of screaming dubbed
> in. And the tracks that are actually live are
> inferior performances. Unfortunately, no really
> good live recordings -- official or otherwise --
> exist of the Stones until the '69 U.S. tour.

Inferior performances???...gotta disagree with that comment...these performances are great, exiting, inspired....inferior to what???

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 19, 2005 19:13

It's worth getting because it is the only official Stones live release from pre-1969 era, and thus the only official live release to have Brian Jones on it. Good performances, terrible sound quality, but overall worth having, if only for the curiosity factor. Rock and Roll Circus is a million times better, as are many pre-69 boots I have heard.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 19, 2005 20:56

You may want to check out the Honolulu 66 boot instead.

Re: 'Got LIVE If You Want It!'
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 19, 2005 21:01

and 65 Paris.
67 Paris too, but the sound on that is even worse than on Got Live (which i still love - the band couldn't hear a freakin thing up there and listen to them GO!)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 19, 2005 21:09

I like the recording. Technically it is awful, but it does capture the wildness and energy of their mid-60's shows. I saw them during that era, so for me it is a bit of nostalgia, and I think nostalgia recognizes no standards, it's all about the memories.

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: September 19, 2005 22:04

I love this one. Like someone said before me, this is punk avant la lettre. Raw, energetic and honest. Yes, technically i't not perfect, but that makes it even better... like you really are there.

It reminds me of a '68 live album of The Outsiders (Dutch band that you probably never heard of :-)) that I used to have. This had the same quality and I played it to death when I was in college about 20 years ago.

Date: September 20, 2005 15:17

Which pre-69 live bootlegs are worth having??? If any....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 20, 2005 15:22

JKFlash, the one from Melbourne called "Do you like Billy Wyman" is really good. Other than that it's aminly the BBC shows for the very early on stuff. There are some shows from the 67 tour that are good. With Brian. Personally I like Milano, Zurich, and then Honolulu from 65 or 66.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 20, 2005 15:24

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Which pre-69 live bootlegs are worth having??? If
> any....
>
>
> "Better than suicide"

The Paris '65 show and all the BBC stuff

Date: September 20, 2005 15:25

OK. Thanks CD. I'll write a thread on the B/S/T forum for them soon. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: davido ()
Date: September 20, 2005 15:39

It's a lot cleaner sound but kind
of a fake bogus live disc at times.
Personally I like the Got Live EP
best, but balk at buying the singles
box set just to get this..........

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home